Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Folksy

Original poster
Interest check | OOC | IC
[fieldbox="Southern Gothic, #002600, dashed, 10, Cinzel"]
tumblr_inline_o30qp7f6Rp1r53io2_500.gif

It's only eighty-five degrees outside, but it's so humid that it feels more like a hundred. The cicadas scream around you. You can't see them through the thick canopy of hanging moss and oak branches, but they make their presence known. You can also hear your heartbeat. It's so loud you think it's going to fly out of your chest, that anyone nearby can hear the BABOOM BABOOM BABOOM of a body running on adrenaline. You are willing your heart to quiet the fuck down when you notice the cicadas have stopped. A nauseating scent wafts in front of you. It's a deadly mixture of death and swamp. Any normal person might have been spooked and left, but you're on a mission. Every death, every jinx, every little bit of appalling detail brings you closer to solving the death of your friend.
[/fieldbox]

[warning=red]This RP will be filled with some sensitive subject matter. Rape, gore, racism, to name a few. This is your trigger warning. Don't join if you think this stuff will bother you. If you have a content question: HMU[/warning]

• Southern Gothic

0fd95f90d23a27ac2f1f0d6397db6cf2.jpg

This Rp takes place a little off the coast of southern Georgia, in the swampy town of Cross Cove on Cross Island. It's not really an island, technically it's still attached to the mainland by swampy marshlands. The place was mostly populated by lethargic-looking church-going people who've lived there for generations, and a couple rich busybodies who'd contracted extravagant beach houses only to move in and realize that Cross Cove is the ugliest, stinkiest, and darkest strip of the Eastern coast and the fact that it was "untouched" wasn't because it was undiscovered by big motel and hotel tycoons, but because no one in their right mind would vacation there. The year was 1965 and while the rest of the country was slowly trying to heal the wound that was racism, Cross Cove was letting it fester.

Cross Cove has very little notable history, except for it once being the home of a very famous and very notable voodoo queen Mae Wilder who was a slave at the Oakview plantation and who supposedly cast a curse on the Chaplin family that many locals still believe to be real. Cross Cove has other interesting stories, but none that the rest of the world takes note of or even knows. You will tell another story of Cross Cove, one that likely won't be notable to the rest of the world, but is extremely notable to the residents of the hell called Cross Cove. The story starts like this:

Someone's been kidnapping women. The women range from thirteen to forty-two but they all have one thing in common: they've been mostly black. Ten women in total have been abducted and haven't been found. More recently, there have been two deaths. One, an eighteen-year-old white girl found washed up on the bank of the marsh. She was the reverend's daughter. The other one was a girl of unknown age and race found in the woods, burnt to a black dryness, tied to a post amit a bunch of scorched logs. Local police could not identify the body and the coroner's said that the fire was not the cause of death, but rather a bullet through the head killed the girl.

You'll play a friend or family member of one of the girls killed or one of the girls still missing. Each of you will've been brought to Cross Cove in your own way. If you're the reverend's daughter's friend (and you have to play a friend for her), you probably live in town. If you want to be the burnt girl's friend or family, pm me for info. If you play one of the missing girl's friends, you were probably contacted by the police, or you live in town. Your goal will be to either find your friend/family member, or to find out who killed her. It's obvious the police aren't looking into the issue as much as they should, so it's time to take things into your own hands. Some of you will come into town with clues about the whereabouts to your friend/family member, some of you will come into town with secrets. Some of you will have clues intertwined with your secrets, but your best bet will be to work together.

[tab=Settings]
  • [b]Name:[/b] [b]Gender:[/b] [b]Age:[/b] [b]Orientation:[/b] The sexual kind [b]Religion:[/b] [b]Appearance:[/b] Height, weight, eye color, body type, race, hair, I leave it up to you. Also at least 3 pictures
  • [b]Personality:[/b] Self explanatory, at least two paragraphs [b]Quirks/Habits:[/b] 2+ [b]Likes:[/b] 3+ [b]Dislikes:[/b] 3+ [b]Fears:[/b] 2+ [b]Skills:[/b] 3+
  • [b]Bio:[/b] Should include: Who your character knew that brought them into this story, how your character grew up, what brought them here, etc etc. IMPORTANT: Be thinking of some kind of secret your character has. Do NOT put it in the bio, PM me instead. [b]Family:[/b] [b]Relation:[/b] Which girl brought your character into the fold, whether it be one of the kidnaped girls, the white girl, or the burnt and shot girl (PM me so I can fill you in). If your relation is to a kidnapped girl, give a brief description here with age, a very short bio, and maybe a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
[bg=#a7c16d]
Clemence Roche
Basics
[bg=#a7c16d]Name:
Clemence Rosealine Roche

Orientation:
Heterosexual

Religion:
Voodoo

Appearance:Clemence has big, curly hair -that she never does anything with- and big, full eyebrows. She has a very beautiful face and a slim figure. She may be slim, but she also packs a big punch: she's all muscle and she has almost no fat on her bones. Clemence is also very tall, but usually assumes a demure stance with a slumped posture, so you often can't tell just how buff and tall she is.
Persona
[bg=#a7c16d]Personality:
For a serially nervous and constantly distracted person, Clemence often goes out of her way to do things. She loves going places out of the norm and doing possibly dangerous things, but only if she has the idea to do them.

Quirks/Habits:
-She often stares of into the distance or loses focus right in the middle of a conversation
-She often starts counting her own teeth when she gets nervous
-She doesn't go anywhere without her protection talisman
p-5560.jpg
-Her sister, Delilah
-Wandering & exploring
Dislikes:
-The cold & dry air
-Sugary foods or drinks
-Loud people who brag/talk about themselves all the time.

Fears:
-Being lost
-Being helpless
Skills:
-Gardening
-Strategizing
Background
[bg=#a7c16d]Bio:
Clemence grew up in shadows under her sister's shadow and her mother's shadow, but biggest of all: the shadow of her uncle. Her uncle, Theodore Wilder, was the Voodoo king in their community and direct descendant of Mae Wilder. He ruled the community, the only one like it in Florida at the time, with an iron fist. Clemence's dad was in and out of town all the time, and her mom was too intense to ever be sensitive and too busy training Clemence's sister, Della, to sit down and talk much. So Clemence relied on Della for support. They grew very close, and Della was Clemence's best friend. When Clemence was only thirteen, Della got an infection. It was bad, too. There wasn't anything the doctors could do. Clemence was almost destroyed, she couldn't bear to think what she would do without her. Luckily, Della got better though.

More recently, Clemence has been in an accident. She sustained head trauma and got major long term memory loss. She lost five whole years of her life. She can't quite remember the events leading up to the injury, but she thinks she got into a fight with her uncle. The injury was a year ago. Since then, a very dear friend to Clemence and Della -their cousin, Babet- left without giving much info on where she was going. She wrote everyone for a while, letting them know she was in Cross Cove, Georgia, and that she was fine, but not why she was there or what was going on. Then the letters stopped. People started wondering if Theodore was going to go get his daughter. He just said that she'd be fine. Henriette was furious at Theodore. She questioned his leadership abilities and even the ability for him to lead the community. Back in the days after Mae Wilder died or disappeared, women ruled the community. Somewhere along the lines, a man stepped up and the community shifted to male leaders, but Henriette thought it was time they go back to the old way of doing things. So she split from the community, bringing a handful of people will her and leaving. She was fully prepared to go looking for Babet herself, but Clemence and Della stepped up. Henriette was now the new voodoo queen, and both daughters knew that the she'd be safer with the new group. So they went to Cross Cove, and they're gonna try to find Babet.
Family:
Henriette Roche - Mother - 48
Delilah "Della" Roche - Sister - 26
Relation:
Babet Wilder - cousin - friend - 17
[bg=#a7c16d][bg=#a7c16d][bg=#a7c16d]
tumblr_ns3ztc1hGa1qhbh1qo2_500.gif
[/bg]
[/bg]
[/bg]
[/bg]

@Astaroth sent me here.

I am so, SO down for this.

<--- Also, a Georgian.

And I already have a character in mind!

That's great! I should probably set a character app deadline....

OHAI!
I actually didn't know whether or not I can join because the setting is absolutely unfamiliar to me...which makes it all the more exciting but it also makes me prone to possibly doing something stupid.

So, I'm working on a character right now. :'D And I'm shit at code.

I'm planning to have a character who is a friend of the reverend's daughter. I'd like to have this character grow up elsewhere, though. And comes to Cross Cove every so often to visit a grandparent, thus meeting the reverend's daughter. Would that be okay?

• Love
Reactions: Folksy
OHAI!
I actually didn't know whether or not I can join because the setting is absolutely unfamiliar to me...which makes it all the more exciting but it also makes me prone to possibly doing something stupid.
Dont worry man, the setting requires v little background knowledge except for the stuff I put in the settings tab, it's just like southern America.
And I'm shit at
Bruh same
I'm planning to have a character who is a friend of the reverend's daughter. I'd like to have this character grow up elsewhere, though. And comes to Cross Cove every so often to visit a grandparent, thus meeting the reverend's daughter. Would that be okay?
Yeah sounds good to me!

• Thank You
Reactions: Banana-senpai
Time for the city boy to come home.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Folksy
This is my unfinished character:

[bg=#1C1919]

Daniel Fox
Basics
Name: Daniel Fox #BE090

Orientation: Heterosexual

Religion: Christian

Appearance:

Tall, pale and lean, his eyes have a usually intense look to them, giving him an overall unfriendly vibe. His broad shoulders and slightly toned physique makes a rather looming shadow, specially since his movements are a little languid. He likes keeping neat and tidy and it shows with his pressed and clean clothes. His posture makes him look even taller but he often walks with his head down. He only looks at people for a few seconds when he is being spoken to and his smiles are pretty rare.

Persona
Personality: Daniel is quiet and reserved but isn't exactly shy. His best explanation of himself is that he is never sure what to say to begin a conversation. A daydreamer at heart, he's often in his own little world with only a few people allowed or able to enter at all.

Quirks/Habits: staring into space, fiddling with his ears

Likes: sketching, guitar music, sweets, specially cakes, sunny days, fishing

Dislikes: frogs, snakes, dishes with liver in it, rain

Fears: tall grass, snakes, spiders

Skills: 3+
Background
Bio: Should include: Who your character knew that brought them into this story, how your character grew up, what brought them here, etc etc. IMPORTANT: Be thinking of some kind of secret your character has. Do NOT put it in the bio, PM me instead.

Family: His grandmother who has lived in Cross Cove all her life, his mother who grew up in Cross Cove and left when she married, his father who is a doctor and expects Daniel to be one as well.

Relation: Friend to the Reverend's daughter

[/bg]

I don't know how to finish the bio yet. Can you tell me more about the reverend's daughter?

Hey-o is there room for a little ole Florida girl like me to apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.