Soul Reapers Like Sweets, Right?

She gave him a blank stare. 'Not human'? That was a common joke people tried to pull on Chloe because she had the air of being oblivious since she focused so much on cooking. However, the glowing finger caught her attention. It clearly wasn't static electricity, or she'd have seen a shock- and it did explain a bit as to why no one else seemed to notice him. However, it made her question the hallucinations she'd had in the past. Were those non-humans too? Had they not been joking?

"If you're not human, what are you? I mean, you're not a dog, clearly, or a cat..." She tried to contemplate it, but thinking was too dangerous to continue. "Also, what does it mean that I 'have spiritual presence'?"

"I'm a soul reaper. And by spiritual presence, it means that you have the potential to develop special abilities unique only to you and actually be able to harm spiritual beings." He said after a slight breath. "I know what your probably going to ask next: what's a soul reaper? We're like guardian angels of sorts; Protect humans from hollows - beings that eat souls, human or dead - or other things that aim to harm them, and send those that have died to the soul society - which most call 'heaven' or 'the great beyond' or other things that cultures say that the deceased go to when they die."

He took a deep breath and looked at Chole. She seemed to taken to this somewhat well. If that wasn't proof enough, he arranged something when he tapped her. Maybe she had seen something like this before? Nah, it was a possible idea but wasn't definite.

"So the place mom is is actually called the 'soul society', huh? She always used to say she thought it'd be better to call heaven something like that anyway. I bet she was glad it was true." She thought a bit further. She was going to believe him, unlike the other possibly supernatural people she'd met before- he gave her enough reason somehow. However, the idea of having the ability to develop special abilities to harm spiritual beings threw her off. "You're the only special one I can see though. It's not like I saw the ghost that attacked that day really...Do other soul reapers exist, or is it just you? And a hollow? Is that related to a soul or something? It makes me think of hollow trees versus not hollow trees..."

"Yup, thats right. There are many other soul reapers that are assigned to many parts this world from soul society. Hollows are directly related to souls: they are souls that feel regret and emptiness upon dying so they eat other souls to fill that void. The most noticeable features to them are holes in their chest and literally look like monsters. But you dont need to worry about them being here. I'm not nessicarlly 'affiliated' soul society anymore, but I have an apartment in this town for whenever I want to keep this place safe. Then again, I gotta remember to hold back my abilities when in crowded areas like this."

He chuckled to himself in remembrance of that one fateful day, it made a large group of people thing that the end was near when he used his bankai against a powerful vampire. Which reminded him to tell her about a zanpaktou later on.

She tried not to laugh, but ended up doing so anyway. "If you should hold back, you're failing at it right now, aren't you?" She smiled a bit, but it seemed to fade a bit easily as she rethought the information she'd been given. "So you're not 'affiliated' with it, but...You certainly know it better than I, right?" She looked at him curiously. "Is it nice there- the 'soul society'?" She gave him a curious glance, before shaking it off. "Never mind...It's probably better I don't pry too much. But...Are you so sure I have this 'spiritual presence'? It's possible my ability to see you is just a fluke right? I've never seen any others before. At least...Besides the ones who lied and said they were not human but clearly were. Though I thought you were human too...Wait, but others saw you at the bakery didn't they?" She stopped contemplating, holding her head. "All this thinking is confusing and hurting my head..."

"Yeah. Last time I went all out with my abilities, I caused a week long thunderstorm. Some doomsday cultists were believing that it was the end of the world." He chuckled. "As for me not being affiliated with soul society, its another story for another time. Depending on where you go, it is a nice place." He said while remembering his time back there. "Yes. It's very rare for humans to see spirits but when the others at the bakery saw me, i was in a giggai - a dummy body if it helps. Those bodies were designed so that we can blend in." He let that last bit hang as he remembered his speicality: stealth. Smiling slightly, he put a hand on her shoulder. "Give it some time and it'll sink in."

She didn't need time for the last bit to sink in, automatically accepting it as true and just letting it go. "A dummy body, huh? Sounds pretty nifty. It's still important to take care of it though, huh?" She giggled, adding, "And your real body too- that's your real body or the dummy body right now? Either way, make sure you get enough sustenance." As the smile lasted on Chloe's face, she tried to relax it a bit so it seemed more normal and less pushed and hyper- she was too confused to really pay heed to how she acted at that point, but needed to regain control of her facial features.

"Well, I'll take that time then. If you need something but don't want others to know, just sneak in and see me then. But I don't really know what I'm supposed to do with this special ability or whatever it is, so I might just not use it... Should I give it to someone else who can use it properly?"

Johnathan smiles at her. Truly, it wasn't that improtant for a giggai to be taken care of but most take care of it like it was their regular bodies. "Yes ma'am." He said mostly as a joke. When she had said something about giving her possibile ability away, he was quick to ease her concerns. "Like I said before, you have the potential to develop your own abilities but most who have said potential - which is a very slim chance by the way - only end up seeing spirits. But as to you offer of sneaking in to see you, I'll think about it." He finished feeling slightly nervous as his body wanted him to blush but his mind (and the being that's been in there since be became a soul reaper) kept telling him no.

His attempts to ease her concerns seemed to work- she was rather relaxed again, back to her normal smile rather than that of her clear anxiety. Chloe let out a soft sigh, nodding in response and not really saying much at all- instead, she looked in her bag of individually wrapped sweets- most were for deliveries, but one or two were put in for her to snack on while on route. "Are you hungry? I have an extra pastry if you want one...You work hard, so you should eat plenty." She smiled to him, adding, "If it counts as a gift, I'm good at baking. I like it too, so that's why it's a gift to me."

He had smiled a little. "Now thats odd, from what i know, most businesses wouldn't give their delivery person something to snack on when they're working." At the very least, it was a good thing to look out for the employees. "And I could use a snack right about now." Which was another good thing, he would always burn the calories from whatever he ate rather fast due to his job but for blending in sakes he fooled everyone to thinking that he has a fast metabolism. Hey, whatever worked right? Well, at least he wasn't overweight like a certain lieutenant of squad 2.

She smiled, holding out one of the wrapped pastries. "You could say our business is sort of like a family business. The owner is my legal guardian, and he really is like a father to me. Sato...Well, he's not family by blood, but he treats me better than my real brother, so...He's family too, to me." She giggled a bit as she spoke, watching him curiously. Her mind wandered, but she then remembered one last bit. "I haven't eaten yet today, so it's likely he also was worried about me staying over for a snack- the people that come to our bakery tend to be nice to me and offer such things, but I still have more work. Though with Richard...He'd usually promote that..." She shook her head. "No matter. Either way, the snacks are handy for times like this. A friend in need is a friend indeed, right? So enjoy it. If you like it, I'll pass on your notes to Richard, since it's all him today."

"Ah." He said as she explained. It seemed like a bad thing that something happened to her accutal family, but it was a good thing that she had a family that cared for her. When he was in soul society, he didn't really have a family to fall back on and grew up on his own. But lets not get into details. He took the snack and took a sample bite and it was accutally kinda good. "Yeah, tell him its good." He smiled in the end, it was a rather nice day and he was spending it with a new friend while explainging the spiritual side of the world. He could've done without the latter but what could you do.

She smiled cheerfully- her boss was a better baker than Chloe was, and she'd always loved his cooking. Thus, hearing someone agree with her that it was tasty was a blessing in her mind. As he ate, she watched without a thought, then turned to try to check the sun's position. "I should hurry and get the deliveries done before the sweets get stale. It's a bit hot today, isn't it? Hard to believe after yesterday's storm." A soft giggle escaped her lips as she hugged the bag in her arms again, using one to wave to him gently. "Let's hang out again sometime though, okay? Don't work too hard. Not that I should say that."

He nodded silently with a smile. "Yeah, you should." Then he realized she had said something about a storm and realized it wasn't because of his powers. Which was a good thing of course, no one was anywhere to catching his trail. He waved back at her as he decided to his place. During their walk, he had a feeling that something was completely wrong. Then again, it could be due to his instincts going into overdrive. And from experience, that was always a bad thing. Another good thing was that he wouldn't mind hanging out with her again, she was rather interesting. When he finally got home, he sat down on his couch and relaxed. What a day, eh?

Chloe got to her deliveries at a normal speed afterwards, not even late compared to the time she was expected. She was cheerful as usual, but mostly out of a business standpoint, and was able to finish quite easily her work. As she returned to the bakery, she stopped near the building she seemed to enjoy stopping near, smiling upwards before returning fully to her workplace. Once there, she spoke with her boss for a little while and returned to the kitchen, cooking diligently. "It sure has been a wild day...But I made a friend out of it, at least."

After relaxing on said couch for a while, Johnathan stood up and walked to his bedroom to grab a coat out of his closet. This time, there was no orders to follow so he could make some time for this. With the place locked up and a ipod streaming music into his ears, he went to that same park from the other day. As he walked to a lake-like area, he sat cross-legged and decided to freely meditate for some reason. As his breathing calmed and the outside world seemed to fade away, he had a smile on his face. It was always nice to do something so simple like this.

She finished work fairly easily- her shift wasn't as long as usual, because of having hurt herself a few days prior at work. She was able to talk her boss into letting her work, but the compromise had been shorter shifts. Due to this, she decided to go to the park, having sweets with her again. Seeing him, she smiled lightly and tapped her foot next to him in attempts to get his attention, not fully noticing the music player. "This spot taken? And be careful...Sitting in that position too long will weaken and possibly dislocate your hips."

"Hm?" He stoped his meditaition and looked up at the person trying to get his attention. "Well well, we met again." He said as Chole sat down next to him. When she had something about weakening or dislocated his hips, he shrugged. With an ability to control electricity plus accitendily channeling healing kido (which he wasn't even a expert in) through his body, he probally wouldn't be feeling any aftereffects. Smiling silently, he went back to said meditation. He never really minded if anyone was looking at him funny or even wanted to join in at all.

She sat and watched him carefully, smiling. "Indeed we do." However, he went back into his meditation quite quickly- it wasn't something Chloe would join in, as she wasn't the type to sit still for long. However, she seemed rather mesmerized as she watched, but noticed she was staring and looked away. She'd been happy to see him- he was someone she knew, an acquaintance, and she'd needed to see a familiar face of sorts. However, she didn't want to keep him from doing what he felt needed to be done. Thus, she watched him quietly, wondering how he was able to sit so quietly and so still. Unfortunately, she finally had to ask about it. "That's a form of meditation, right? I'm really bad at meditating, but I've been told I should try it to help me relax...Any tips?"

Johnathan had stopped and raided an eyebrow when she asked for tips for meditation. Looking over to her, he said "Tips? Well try to find somewhere where you feel naturally relaxed. It helps-" was all he got when he relaxed that a random bird was perched on his shoulder. With a sigh and a chuckle, he reached his palm out and the bird hopped onto it and looked at him in the eyes. Weird....he was having a staring contest....with a bird? After a few awkwardly quiet moments, the bird finally flew away. "As I was saying, it helps keep you more loose and a smiple meditation session could change the course of many things. I try to do it regulary because my powers are kinda chaotic unless finely controled." He concluded as he pointed to a small tattoo of a wing on his left cheek that was glowing for a breif second then dissapeared.

"That mark holds the majority of my powers back so I can try to control it when I get a chance. Hence meditation. There's also something 'Battle Meditation' but I don't know that much about it." He explained.