Sorcerer Supreme or Warrior Legend

Might Vs Magic, What's your choice?

• Slice and dice! Magic be Damned!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Why waste time cutting? With a word I can chargrill and army.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I like the middle ground, Go Spell Blade!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • NERDS!

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Jack Shade

Anti-Hero
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Genres
Magical, Fantasy, Supernatural, Sci Fi, Steam Punk, Noir, HORROR, and I'm willing to try Romance.
As a Storyteller/Gamemaster/DungeonMaster I run my fair share of campaigns. Usually with the same group of people I've started to notice trends in the type of character they choose to play. Those who like magic invariably tend to make spellcasting type entities while others tend to swing from the martial tree. Those who can't decide whether its more epic to do a backflipping decapitation or turn an archdemon into a dire squirrel tend to choose the middle ground without excelling in either.

So where do you fall?

Are you the kind of person who likes to get down and dirty with fisticuffs? Or do you fly on high and cast lightning bolts at the scurrying mortals? The Might vs Magic debate continues to hold sway among gamer communities, Warriors training their entire lives to master the blade only to fall to a 'hax' apprentice with a scroll of lightning. Likewise sorcerers claim that warriors are too brutish, lacking grace and other social skills which might make them more effective in other avenues of life.

So...what do you choose?

Magic Missile?

or Thrown Axes?

Essentially let us know if you're more inclined to might or magic, your favorite weapon or school of magic (or element) And what you think of the opposite side.

Ex.

I go martial most of the time, favoring either the katana, scimitars, or daggers in my characters. In fact, I'm mostly a rogue type character when I take up the dice. Magic? Bunch of stuffy old guys with stick arms dealing with power no one should control >: l

Your turn!

((Apologies for the ugly deleted post...I forgot to add the poll))

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

You're missing a 'D' you illiterate fool >: l

I like the idea of using melee. Nothing is quire as exhilirating as a fit melee fighter come out of nowhere to deliver a devastating elbow to your gut, and proceed to beat the crap out of you. >u<

agreed, though i tend to prefer a blend of melee and spellcasting. DnD prestige paladin all the way.

Magic? Swords?

Organic Weapons, and Psionics. I like my characters muties and sick twisted servants of Brood Lords or Humwawa, with eight arms and bio-weapons. Zyrganids! >:D

But sorcerer's do in a pinch.

It really depends on the game...

Personally, I love the magic knight. Duskblade, any incarnum user, all the tome of battle guys, people who decide that "melee vs. magic" is a false dichotomy and then go on to own because of it.

I voted MIDDLE GROUND once I deciphered your NERD SPEAK.

I normally avoid combat characters all together, because I am very, very bad at it. c__c But on the few occasions that I do, I usually mix magic and handtohand. A good skill at using a weapon with a little magical enhancement.

give me a sword, a googley eyed alien to shoot at / cut to ribbons and a game group to play with an ill die a happy neckbeard

Magic is my territory, if I can avoid confrontation with spell spam then I'd much rather run the risk of catching magibetus.

In the books, they are all powerful, talented Sorcerer's with the power of magic in their hands.

In the game they fail roll, after roll, after roll, after roll. You run out of spells, out of mana, or you don't have useful spells.(*cough*Warlock*cough*)

And combat, for me, is

"Okay Jake, your turn."
"I choose Hail of Stones."
"Roll."
"13. + 2 = 15"
"Just passed it, roll damage."
"....1...."

Eight minutes later.

"Okay, Jake your turn."
"I'll use the dagger-whip this time."
"Roll." *Rolls*...
"4. Good thing I cast truestrike."
"Truestrike doesn't work on whips." "...." *Puts on Princess Bride and watches eight times in a row*

Thats why spell spammers don't bother with saving throw for half damage spells like fireball or lightning bolt.

The real power for spell spammers is save or die spells! Better yet, save or die spells with bad things still happening on a successful save. Like Disintegrate.

NERDS!!!

... I like a mix of both! Like taking away some wizzies powers and then dicing him up with my blades!

Always a good time...

For those of you who haven't been paying attention, Coffee likes options!

Both! ^_^

Admittedly, on Iwaku I end up playing almost nothing but magic users somehow.