Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
I just saw some funny list where people talk about songs they didn't know were actually DIRTY AS FUCK when they were a kid, and it made me think of my present kiddos and how they have no idea what Watermelon Sugar is actually about, but they out there singing it all the time.

I remember when I found out what Greased Lightning actually meant. >_>

TELL ME SONGS YOU DIDNT KNOW WERE DIRTY.

Hidden meanings like this is basically the 90s in a nutshell

Steal My Sunshine by Len and Marc Costanzo went under my radar until my teenage years, but I think that was simply because I wasn't listening to the lyrics.

Another obvious one in retrospect is Lollipop (Candyman) by Aqua.

The Summer of '69 isn't about the year 1969.

Blurred Lines was the overall banger when I was in elementary school, but actually listening to the lyrics now makes me grimace.

I had to look up what 'watermelon sugar' was about and wow. I guess I will vote for that one. And every song that has been named so far in this thread.

Every time I share my playlist with friends they always manage to pick out one that's dirty that I didn't realise before. I'm just daft.

I had no idea watermelon sugar was dirty, lol. But also Locked Out of Heaven was a big surprise to me when I paid attention.

This isn't a dirty example, but If It Hadn't Been for Love, the hubs and I totally thought it was a song about a guy being redeemed by love until we paid real close attention and realized it was about a guy who murdered his wife for cheating....

• Haha
Reactions: Astaroth
I have a dirty mind so everything is dirty to me. BUT LETS TALK ABOUT KIDS MOVIES.

Waiting by Low Roar's first freaking line is "Nine months since I licked you clean and left with no complaints" and it never crossed my mind that by licked you clean it um...means sexually. And I played that song in the car. FOR MY MOM. because I liked the beat. And she fucking died laughin.

Lollipop (Candyman) by Aqua.
This. I'd had Aquarium on CD since I was 4, and Lollipop (Candyman) was probably my favourite song on the whole disc but I didn't know what it was getting at until about 10 years later when I was 14, when I put on the playlist my dad had going and my stepmother got uncomfortable.

There was also the time I had to explain to my friend that 3 by Britney Spears was not just a catchy silly pop song, but about threesomes. The look on his face when I pointed that out was priceless.

I don’t listen to much western music anymore so I can’t give an example of that. But when I first heard Mind Brand by MARETU I thought it was just a cool maybe “edgy” song. So I’m going to blame it on the fact I don’t know Japanese for the fact I am very very wrong.

I can also nominate Ifuudoudou and Iroha Uta by Ginsaku for the same reasons (though the latter isn’t necessarily “filthy”, just an unexpected meaning if you aren’t fluent)

Whaaat? Apparently, I haven't listened to it closely enough.

Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran. For the longest time, I couldn't even understand what the singer was saying, but when I figured it out... such cringe.

Whaaat? Apparently, I haven't listened to it closely enough.

Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran. For the longest time, I couldn't even understand what the singer was saying, but when I figured it out... such cringe.
It's not explicitly obvious from the lyrics but Bryan Adams confirmed it's innuendo.

Louder Sound said:
Bryan Adams was nine years old in the summer of '69. He didn't join his first band (Shock) until '76. Which doesn't quite fit the song's lyrical content, which appears to rue the break-up of a teenage band ('Jimmy quit and Jody got married') and the collapse of a love affair ('I think about you, wonder what went wrong').

In reality, Adams's clean-living image has helped disguise one of the most blatant innuendos of modern rock: the '69' in question doesn't refer to the year 1969, but to the sexual position. Adams has announced as much from the stage, and even appears to sing 'me and my baby in a 69' during the song's outro.

"The song is a bit autobiographical," Adams explains, "but it's really about summer love and, in my, case being a musician. I love the song Night Moves by Bob Seger, which is about getting laid in the summer, and I always wanted to write an answer to that. There is a huge misconception that this song is about 1969, but it's not. The reason I chose 69 is because of the sexual position.

"The imagery in the song is about romance, nostalgia, being a struggling musician and making love. Jimmy and Jody are real people though. Jimmy is a drummer who quit the band, and Jody [Perpik] is still my soundman on tour after 25 years."

When I was a kid, I loved listening to If U Seek Amy. Dunno how I didn't notice it 'til I was older 😭