Song of the Wild [IC]

"Yeah, let's go back. My nose hurts." Arvid agreed, taking a moment to rub his aching nose. He took his pack from Vidar and shrugged it over his shoulders before gathering the rest of his stuff. "Guess if it starts tomorrow, I ought to get as much talking in while I can today." He mused, a small smirk on his face.

"Yeah, I can do that." He replied to Vidar, confidence starting to return to his voice. "I don't mean to brag, but once I get wind of something, or someone's tracks? They can't get away from me." His confidence in his hand-to-hand abilities were shaken but there was no way he would fail when it came to hunting! "It'll be easy as cake."

Even did his best to take it as a joke when Arvid said he ought to get as much talking in while he could. If the boy talked much more, he was, for once, actually going to lose it, and smother him in his sleep. Which would be a very bad idea for a number of reasons, but was looking at this point like the merciful solution. So he laughed shortly, told himself tomorrow would be better - he was definitely buying himself a timer - and tried to be as gracious as possible in hoping that Arvid would find something useful in scoping out potential threats, considering how poorly he'd done in the match, despite all his posturing.

Bellanca wasn't quite certain what Atalanta meant by "bond," but she set that aside for now, as it wasn't important in comparison to the rest of it. What was important was that the kidnappers had contacted Atalanta, and she was very certain that it hadn't been just a dream. This was for real. Bellanca had had one or two of the demigod nightmares, but nothing this major had ever happened in their lives before. She worried her bottom lip, hoping they could prevent whatever trap those kidnappers were planning for Atalanta by midnight tomorrow. If they hadn't known those... Norse? boys were coming, hopefully the enemy wouldn't suspect either, and they'd have maybe some element of surprise. She said nothing more on the matter, though. "Well, tomorrow will be tomorrow's problem. You really should try to get just a little bit more rest, if you can. I'm going to as well, but I'll be right here, if you need me." She felt stupid for saying it as soon as the words left her mouth. Atalanta had been fine on her own, why would she need Bellanca, but she squashed the thought and the little blush of shame that came with it, and lay down curled up close for warmth.

Last edited:
Atalanta nodded, barely containing a sob. She watched the two girls for the rest of the night, before softly crying herself to sleep. The next morning she woke up with itchy cheeks and eyes from the dried up tears. She was quick to rub her face, to get the feeling away and took a look around the tent as small patches of light speckled it. It was day outside, but the enhanced canopy made it hard to judge the time.

Atalanta stretched and took a look at her watch. It was around 8.30am. She didn't feel like going back to sleep and she had to get going at grabbing breakfast, find out where Skuggi was and what she was going to do about finding her sister and sending the bastard that was behind all this to Tartarus. So she carefully got out of her sleeping bag and tried to smooth her bed hair a bit before grabbing her water bottle and getting a large gulp.

--------

Vidar had nodded, praying to the Gods that this time Arvid was not just talk. They could really use a scout. He was a lot of things, having to survive on his own the way he had up until now, but he was definitely not a scout. If he was, he might have seen those eyes watching from the shadows. He might have sensed the presence of a predator observing them carefully but making no move against them. Skuggi was carefully concealed in the shadows of a nearby building, observing as instructed and assessing the threat these demigods posed to his new pack.

(Short and kinda meh, but hopefully it gives you something to work with. If not, lemme know and I will feex)

• This Gives Me Plot Bunnies
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
Arvid rolled his neck around, giving it a decent stretch as he rubbed his shoulders. His body was aching, and he was more than ready to take a load off. At this moment, he was rather grateful that Atalanta had needed a night or so, though if she hadn't then the fight wouldn't have happened in the first place. Regardless, he was ready to go.

It was the rolling of his neck, however, that allowed him to catch a glimpse of the eyes in the shadows. His first instinct was going to be to grab his weapons, but he resisted that urge immediately, straining his eyes to get as good a look as he could without being too conspicuous. Something was definitely watching them, but it wasn't making a move, and if it had been here for awhile, then it had plenty of chances to make a move when he was fighting Even. It was something to point out to the others, that was for sure, but the danger wasn't immediate. It was the eyes of a predator, but there was no predatory intent in them. The gaze was familiar to him as well, despite having only seen it only once not too long before.

The boy started walking. "C'mon, let's go back. The sooner we go to sleep, the sooner tomorrow arrives." As much as he wanted this quest to get started, he wasn't forward to meeting two more demigod kids. "I'm gonna need all my patience for tomorrow." Especially since tomorrow, he would have to mind his speech. He was going to be inside his own head a lot.​

Bellanca didn't sleep well. Even though she had laid down and closed her eyes next to Atalanta, just as she'd been about to fall asleep, she heard and felt the other girl's sobs, and hearing that, she couldn't bring herself to sleep peacefully through the night, weighted by the sound of so much hurt and fear.

She woke up because someone right next to her was moving around. Coming to consciousness slowly, Bell didn't open her eyes right away. Her body felt a bit like it had been used as a punching bag the day before, sore and slow. They'd slept in much more uncomfortable places before, but the events of yesterday had taken a bit of a physical toll, it seemed. By the time she'd cracked her eyes open and pulled her body upright, Atalanta was moving around, getting a drink of water. Vedette was still dead asleep. She was a funny one. She could sleep through a thunderstorm, but would randomly wake up if someone dropped a thin little book on the floor.

"Good morning, Atalanta." Bellanca said quietly, rubbing her eyes. She stood up and began awkwardly maneuvering around the tent, packing up their blankets including the one Vedette was wrapped up in. Vedette grumbled in protest, shivering slightly, but Bell had long since learned that there was no being nice to Vedette if you wanted her to properly wake up. "We're meeting the boys at 12, but it's still early. What do you want to do until then?" She asked. Breakfast was probably the first order of business, but that was still a lot of time, and she got the feeling Atalanta had a more solid idea of what she wanted to do than the Aphrodite sisters did.

Even woke up feeling refreshed and relaxed. The very first thing that struck him was that Arvid would have to watch his words today. The endless whining was finally over. And perhaps he had missed having a good spar or two, not that he would've characterized yesterday's fight as "good," no offense to his fellow demigod. Strapping on his usual gear and pulling on his backpack, Even brightly smiled and walked down from the room they were staying in to get some breakfast. Today was going to be an interesting day. The quest was really finally getting underway. They were meeting with the daughter of Pan again today, and perhaps would get their first clue as to who the kidnappers really were. Maybe even Arvid would be helpful today.

Hisae was not feeling optimistic. They'd asked around yesterday, and had been told someone matching the description of who they were looking for had been seen, but wherever they went, they had been a step behind. One person had mentioned the girl they were searching for with a large dog and two girls and three boys. That was a large number. It brought their total number up to eight. That did not feel lucky. Her weapons were all perfectly strapped into place, her hagoromo around her shoulders before the sun was even up. She was in a foul mood. Then again, this wasn't unusual for her in the mornings, especially when she woke up this early and without any luck of their quest going well. The Japanese girl hated Europe. The people were too tall, and loud, and she could barely get by with English, much less this French nonsense. It was all ridiculous. Plus, she had to live with Enmei of all people. Exhausting.

She'd gone for a run, fully equipped with her weapons, and yet was somehow still in a foul mood when she got back. That usually cheered her up. When she got back, her first order of business was to aim a kick at Enmei, who'd woken up, as usual, with the sun. "We're not talking to anyone today, Sunny Idiot. We're wandering around trusting the gods to guide us. I'm sick of talking to these Frenchmen." She said in annoyed Japanese. The sooner they found these other demigods, the sooner this quest would be over.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Spekkun
Atalanta turned around to look as Bellanca woke up. "Morning." She said, her voice sounding momentarily hoarse, before clearing up her throat and drinking some more water. "Let your sister sleep." She mentioned as she noticed Bellanca pulling the blanket away from the other girl, but it seemed that there was no stopping her now. Shaking her head, Atalanta strapped the backup reed pipes on her belt and began lacing her boots at the entry of the tent. She was dressed much like she had been the day before. Cargo pants, hiking boots and a hoodie. The only thing that could indicate she was getting ready for trouble was the reed pipes in easily accessible place and the glisten of metal covering her wrists under the sleeve. Arm guards, Atalanta knew from experience, were very useful in defending oneself in combat. Especially if hidden because they provided the element of surprise.

"I am going to send scouts out and figure out where Skuggi is, but I have to do that from the ground. I won't go far. You can have breakfast, I'll be back in less than twenty minutes." She told her as she finished lacing up her boots. Her senses had already been broadened, reaching out for nearby animals she could communicate with and have the message transmitted. She knew that she and her sister had a certain aura that animals and nature spirits could single out easily within a certain distance. Locating Skuggi and recalling him would be trickier. Even though she had an empathy link with him, it was so new that she didn't know how she would be able to handle it if Skuggi was too far away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vidar had been the last one to wake up. He wasn't late in waking up in general, but compared to his fellow demigods, he was a sleeper it seemed. Seeing the others were missing, he was quick to get on his feet and get ready for breakfast and for getting on the way. He wondered if Arvid had already been out scouting and if he had any important or interesting info for them. They still had a lot of time before meeting with Pan's daughter. He really hoped nothing bad had happened during the night.

Arvid had awoken just before the sun had risen. By the time it greeted him, the boy had checked the perimeter of their hotel twice before showering. By the time Evan and Vidar were on their way to breakfast, he was munching on something, chewing vigorously like some sort of savage. He took note of his companions and nodded his head to greet them. He was saving his words for the meeting, in case they needed his expert negotiating skills, which he was sure they would. He had decided that preventing Even from enjoying the rewards of his victory would be his side quest, for now, so he was doing his best to avoid speaking.​

If there were ever any doubts about Enmei's divine heritage, they were surely put to rest from the way he was practically glowing. Ever since they had landed he couldn't stop himself from grinning. From the moment He and Hisae hopped on the plane a sense of wanderlust had been unearthed from deep within him, and now that they had landed it was being fulfilled. Sure they were on a mission, but he couldn't help himself from enjoying the tourism that this town had to offer.

Even after the first day had ended up in a failure, he enjoyed it. The language, while difficult to understand, was interesting enough, and the sights and food were loads of fun. Best of all, he got to table with Hisae of all people! Amazing!

When he woke up, the first thing he did was greet the sun and stretch away whatever grogginess was left in his body. When Hisae returned to the room he was just gathering his stuff and gazing over a town map, wondering what other attractions they could see. Unfortunately, the map kept him from noticing Hisae's foot coming for him, eliciting a yelp.

"Ahh, that smarts!" He sat on the floor immediately, rubbing his aching shin, pouting at Hisae for a moment. Aw, they're not so bad! Some of them are pretty nice! They're trying their best to help us!" He assured her. Admittedly though, it didn't lead them anywhere yesterday, so trying something different couldn't hurt. "But who could be a better guide than the gods, eh? I'm sure we'll run into them, and if we don't then the gods will definitely let us know where to look next."​

Hisae sighed and shook her head, scowling slightly. He was so terribly optimistic all the time. Trying their best indeed. Without another word, she went to take a shower and make sure all her things were ready for her to leave.

Once she was all ready, she went to the front lobby and took a deep breath, doing one last check to ensure that all of her things were properly strapped to her and well-prepared for any trouble they might get into. Her chain whip was on her belt, swords within easy reach even with all of her things. She scowled at Enmei, giving him a look over to make sure he looked prepared, too, then stepped out of their lodging. She was going to be so glad when they were done with this assignment and back in Japan.

She glared at Enmei and said, "Wait a second and don't say anything." For a moment, she just stood there in front of the building, eyes scanning the streets around them. She didn't offer up any open prayers. He didn't need that. Then there it was. A harsh, cold breeze swept through the streets, unnaturally rattling the door behind her and wrapping around her shoulders, before winding through the streets. Without a word to Enmei, she took off in the direction it had gone. Dodging people smoothly, she shot through the streets after the wind, knowing it would guide her to where they wanted to go.

---

Bellanca nodded and shook Vedette fully awake. "Alright." Was all she said, but truthfully she was a bit nervous about the whole "sending out scouts" bit. The idea of Atalanta attracting… other things was not a pleasant one for her. She busied herself packing everything up, and scrounging around in their packs for the last of their leftover food. They didn't have much beyond a few snacks, but they really just needed enough to get them through the first bits of the day.

---

Even smiled at Vidar. "Good morning." He said, addressing his greeting to both boys, eating quickly and quietly. He wasn't one to eat much in the mornings. "She wants to meet us at the plaza today, right? Maybe Arvid can scout out the area first? So it's safe when she meets us." He looked to Arvid, "You did suggest that was a specialty of yours."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Spekkun