Sometimes Goodbye is a second chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taryn felt acutely aware of how he had leaned close to her. She licked her lips before answering, "S..sure." she said her eyes flitting to his for merely a second. She stood up, reaching her hands down to help him up. There was an unmistakable spark that flew through her nervous system the second her skin touched his. It was enough that as soon as he was up she removed her hands and squeezed her hands shut almost as if they had been zapped by lightning. She reached for the items she had laid down and followed Clark upstairs. She made sure he went to the office, even bringing him a bottle of water and more tylenol for whenever he would need it.

"I'll come see you if anything comes up. Try and sleep, you aren't super man you know?" Taryn said looking at him. Her eyes drifted along his chest and strong arms. The man was built he might as well be super man. She watched him move and her face turned crimson at once. Had he seen her looking at him? Oh Lord she prayed he hadn't.

He was helped to his feet and he grinned at her. If it wasn't for her he would be passed out somewhere. He moved to his office, downing the Tylenol and bottle of water without even thinking about the fact he had just taken some an hour or two ago.

He sprawled on the couch, hands cradling his head. He could feel eyes on him and looked up to see Taryn glancing down. "My mom certainly thought I was...she named me after him for goodness sakes..." His voice had dropped as fatigue dragged at him and he closed his eyes before draping the blanket on the back of the couch over himself. "Get me if you need me...Ashley should be here soon. I've got the next schedule on my desk..."

Taryn closed the door behind her. She pressed her hand to her forehead. Lord help her, she was acting all sorts of strange. She went to work, making sure everything was ready to run. She had heard him say that he needed more bodies. Maybe once he was feeling better she could talk to him about having an open audition so to speak for bartender work. A good looking woman entered the bar shortly after. Taryn eyed her just as the woman gave her a sneer glance. This must be Ashley.

"Who are you?" the woman asked. Taryn looked at her as she stacked glasses at one of the stations. "Taryn, I'm the new bartender."

"Where's Clark?" the woman snapped almost instantaenously.

"He's out." Taryn stated. "Like out cold. Got some kind of flu or cold or something."

"Office then?" Ashley made a bee line for the office. Taryn moved quickly, she jumped over the counter and stood between Ashley and the office door.

"What the hell? I want to talk to Clark."

"Look he's really sick and he needs his rest. I suggest waiting for him to come out here once he's awake in a few hours."

Ashley gave her a death glare but turned on her heel and head for her station. As she walked by Taryn's she noticed the pickle jar full of money.

"I see you do well. You're one of those bartenders aren't you?"

"I don't even know what that means." Taryn retorted as she finished stacking glasses at her station.

"You'll do what it takes to get the tip." Ashley said in a way that could only be understood one way. Taryn shook her head.

"Nope. I just must be really good at my job. Where's your tip jar?" Taryn eyed her with insubordination. Ashley glowered at her and flipped her hair in her direction as she went back to work. Running a shift with Ashley was going to prove harder than swallowing her pride when joining the army.

Clark rolled over onto his side, the Tylenol he had taken had completely knocked him out cold. His dreams were plagued by patrons turning into bears and rampaging through his bar.

Ashley waited until Taryn was distracted before she slipped into Clark's office. She looked at his sleeping face with a small smile.

Clark had rolled back over in his sleep, someone rubbing his back had registered somewhere in the dream filled with bears. "Mm?" He groggily opened one eye. Something snaked his way up his thigh until it was uncomfortably placed and he fought to open his eyes through the drug and fever haze.

Ashley pouted, full lips moving with her speech. "Poor little Clarky...I'll take care of you..."

Taryn had moved into the back for the ice machine to get buckets to fill the ice coolers. When she came back Ashley was nowhere to be found. This was Clark's bar and she wasn't wanting to step on any toes but it made her blood boil knowing Ashley had gone into the office even after Taryn had told her how sick Clark was. She made her way to the office, swinging the door open to find Ashley and Clark in a pretty compromising position. Taryn hadn't known that they were or currently was a thing. She eyed them both for a moment and stammered.

"Oh... " She eyed her boss and Ashley and left the room. Who was she to stop two lovers mingling together after a long time. She moved back to the counter just as the first customer came in. She didn't know why she felt the way she did... it was almost as if she was jealous. She dismissed the thought immediately and turned her attention to the patron.

"What can I get for you?" She asked the older gentleman.

"Fireball please and make it stiff." he said in a gravelly voice. Taryn nodded pouring him a drink and eyeballing liquid, she too wanted a drink. She knew the rules and though she wanted to, she put the bottle away.

Clark's eyes widened, fear filling them. He was too weak to do anything but growl at Ashley. "Get your hands off of me." He tried to sit up but she pressed him down onto the couch.

"Who's the new girl?" She asked menacingly. She squeezed his thigh and leaned over him.

"None ya! Get the fuck off!!" He tried to push her off of him and only succeeded in breaking down into a coughing fit. "What the fuck is wrong with you?!"

Fear mingled with anger mixed in his eyes and he sat up. "Get out of my bar now. I don't care...you're fired!"

"Awwww pooky you don't mean it." She moved in and pressed her hand against his chest before trying to straddle him. "I thought your mind would change while I was gone.."

"I was never interested in you Ashley! Never!" He pushed her off, nearly falling over himself.

Taryn and the older man both looked like dogs on a hunt, their heads turned to the side as loud yelling ensued from within the office. The man downed his whiskey and nodded towards the door.

"You gonna go take care of that?" he asked Taryn. She blinked her eyes and nodded heading for the office once more. Maybe they were lovers scorned? Maybe Clark didn't want anything while sick? She shut off her brain to stop jumping to conclusions and opened the door. Ashley was pretty much molesting Clark.

"I get the feeling your affections aren't wanted Ashley, I'm pretty sure I just heard him shout your fired. Why don't you get out with your dignity still intact. No use in making me have to drag you outta here." Taryn said her voice even though her eyes flashed to Clark to make sure he was okay.

Clark looked up at Taryn, eyes filled with relief. Ashley looked up at the girl, sneer on her lips. "Or how about you leave? I was here first, bitch."

Clark frowned, eyes closing as he stood and looked at Ashley "get out." He whispered, "get out you're so beyond fired."

Taryn looked at Ashley and she had enough. She took swift steps for her. She grabbed hold of her collar and yanked her off of Clark. "Let's go. I'm assuming you have a way home. As you heard boss man, you're fired. If you step foot back in the bar, it is tresspassing and I will gladly apprehend you until the police arrives. I've missed close quarter combat." Taryn smirked as she yanked Ashley out of the bar.

"What the hell is your problem? Let go of me!" Ashley shouted as she pulled against Taryn's hold. Ashley scratched at Taryn's arm digging in enough to cause Taryn some pain. Taryn moved quick twisting Ashley's arms beind her back, holding her fingers in a way that if she fought back she'd break her own hands. Ashley fought the whole way out. Taryn tossed her over towards her car.

"Who do you think you are? Are you his new fuck buddy?" Ashley shouted. Taryn glared at the girl.

"Nope, new employee. That's all, he don't like his workers roughed up and harassed, his workers don't like their boss getting harassed either. Get lost, you no longer work here."

"I'll get him back. You'll pay then." Ashley snarled. Taryn nodded and watched her screech her wheels as she peeled out of the parking lot. Taryn went back inside and straight into the office.

"Look you need more bartenders, we're obviously short, you're too sick to even fend off your girlfriend, ex, whatever the hell... I was thinking if you okay it we can have open auditions for tenders... sort of a way to man the bar and have a hiring event as well. I said I'd run all things by you... figured you'd want the message out there before it got too busy."

Clark looked at her from where he was seated on the couch. He was far too sick to even think straight. "Shut it down for tonight..." He shuddered, closing his eyes and putting his head in his hands. "She's not an ex or a girlfriend....her boyfriend was killed in a car accident and for some reason when she went batshit crazy she chose me..." He looked up at Taryn, smiling softly. "Thanks for saving my ass..."

He rubbed his eyes and sighed. "We can hold open auditions tomorrow...but it's too late for me to get the word out and I'm too done to think straight..."

"Aye aye captain." Taryn said as she turned around and left his office. Maybe he hadn't wanted Ashley's affections but she had definitely taken to him. Most men would have enjoyed waking up to a woman molesting them. Taryn walked the only patron out and locked the doors. She pushed her ear buds into her ears and hit play as she worked to close everything down. Cleaning, putting away all that was necessary, lifting chairs and sweeping. Even though no one had been in she still mopped the floor, quietly singing to herself 'Don't stop believin' '

Clark left his office, moving back behind the bar. He brought out two shot glasses and poured fireball in each. "Taryn...come here..." He whispered hoarsely, looking up at her. He didn't care for once about cleaning. All he wanted was to forget what had just happened.

Taryn looked up from where she was and blinked her eyes. Even though he looked haggard, way too tired and frustrated, there was something that made her flinch in a good way the way he said her name and commanded for her to come to him. She obliged and walked up to the counter. She cocked her head to the side and sat on the stood before him. She took the proffered drink and looked at him. "Alcohol and sickness... that sounds like a wonderful mix." she teased as she took the shot he gave her. The burn was welcoming, oh it was such a good change from the regular pain that ached within her ribs.

Clark looked at her with a grin. "Figured I might as well burn it out..." He took the shot and poured then another. He moved to sit next to her, almost melting into the bar stool. "So what will you do now that you have the night off?" He leaned closer to her, hazel eyes inquiring.

Taryn licked her lips, something she did a lot when nervous. She shrugged as she downed the second glass. She let out a sharp sigh, it tasted as good as it felt. "Maybe I'll do something completey crazy like unpack." Taryn didn't know if it was the two shots that were making her open up because she actually giggled at her sarcasm.

Clark grinned at her giggle. "Wow. That's beautiful..." He took the next shot and stood to his feet. "Why don't we blow this joint?" He held out a hand to help her from the bar stool.

Taryn blushed at once. She must be letting the fireball get to her because she was blushing! What was going on with Taryn Roberts? She thought to herself. She took his offered hand and stood. He drove her home, he must've been feeling slightly more awake and better because she didn't have to tell him any directions to get to her apartment. She merely sat quietly and told herself over and over not to steal a glance at him even if she failed two or three times. She couldn't help it. She was human, even with a broken heart and as fucked up as she was, Clark was a hottie, there was no denying that.

Clark drove her home, the fireball was definitely working its magic. He was feeling more awake then earlier. It was still burning in his chest pleasantly, breaking up whatever flu he had been down with.

He pulled up to her building, hand resting on his leg as he looked at her. "Here safe and sound...." He mumbled, his eyes smiling at her. "You can come by tomorrow to help me interview..."

Taryn nodded and got out of his car. "See you tomorrow boss man." She nodded her head and went inside. She figured unpacking needing done and with them calling it an early night what better time to do so? She worked from the living room back into her bedroom. The things that had been delivered to her that she did not want from her married life with Nate, she shoved into boxes to get rid of. She was sitting on her counter, nursing a glass of wine when a knock came at her door.

She didn't know anyone except those she worked with and the only one who knew her address was Clark. Had he come back? Why would he? She walked to the door and opened it. She was caught off guard to see Ben standing there.

"Taryn, nice to see you. I went to the bar but it's closed tonight. Figured I'd ask for that date now that you're free."

"I aready had dinner... how do you know where I live Ben?" Taryn asked as her mind scanned quickly the best way to get to her gun if need be.

"Don't worry about it. Why don't you get dressed so we can go?" he asked with a smile that was all too worrisome.

"Ben, I don't appreciate you showing up at my place and I am not interested in a date, not now not later. I just want left alone okay? Go home Ben." Taryn went to shut the door but Ben forced his foot in the doorway. Taryn calmed her rising panic. She had dealt with things a lot worse than this in war. She simply had to keep herself safe and rational to act if necessary.

"I don't fancy getting told no." he said menacingly, his eyes were as dark as the words he spoke. Of course Taryn would be stuck in this situation with someone like Ben.

Clark had gone home and showered before laying on his bed. He was restless, unable to sleep. All he could think of was the work schedules and Taryn. He shook his head and sat up. He needed some beer. Or something to help him sleep. Why hadn't he asked for her phone number? Although when he thought about it, his was on the paycheck he handed her. Wait, he hadn't handed her her paycheck. "Shit."

He moved to stand and shoved some clothes in a duffel bag before heading towards his door. He paused. "Would she mind me just stopping by?" He asked the empty room.

It couldn't hurt, the worst she can do is slam the door in your face. Sometimes he hated the answers he had for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.