Sometimes Goodbye is a second chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taryn didn't say anything. She merely followed him out to his car. Once inside she crossed her arms over her chest and pointed towards what roads to take to get to her apartment. Her dark and empty still not unpacked apartment. She was quiet, she could just sense frustration oozing off of Clark.

Clark drove in silence the whole time. Tension left him until all that was left was a headache and chills. He cursed inwardly at his foolishness and wished that he had enough staff to man the bar tomorrow. He pulled up outside her apartment, eyes beginning to glaze over as he turned on his cars heater. "Alright. You're here safe. I'm sorry for snapping at you..." He avoided her gaze, hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. "I was t upset u with you...and I had no right to act that way." He turned his radio down, his body beginning to feel that ill kind of sleepy that told him it was near its breaking point. "I'll see you at the bar tomorrow." He smiled softly.

"Clark... you're not safe to drive. You can barely keep your eyes open. Why don't you just crash on my couch? That way you can get some sleep and won't kill yourself on the way home. please, it's the least I could do to help after you drove me home." Taryn said looking over at him, her hand resting on the door handle.

"It really isn't a bother... come in, don't come in... your choice. The door will be unlocked." Taryn said before getting out of his car. She walked into her apartment and turned on the lights. She moved around the kitchen getting a tall glass of milk to drink with a piece of toast as her dinner.

Clark frowned. She was right. His place was still another twenty minute drive and he could barely think. He sat shivering in the car a few minutes before he got out and stumbled up the stairs after her. He knocked on her apartment door, huddled against the doorframe. He would be lucky to make it back to work in the morning at this rate.

He dozed off while he waited for her, his head throbbing.

Taryn opened the door, finding her boss already sleeping. Poor guy must have spent weeks with no sleep. She placed one of his arms around her shoulders and helped him to her couch.

The apartment was nice. Hardwood floors, modern kitchen and appliances. The walls were bare. The living room had a large sofa and a few boxes being used as a coffee table. The TV sat against the wall, still not plugged in.

The rest of the apartment was just boxes of belongings she had been awarded during the divorce. Maybe that's why she hadn't unpacked. She wanted nothing from him, from their life together.

She made sure Clark was comfortable before rummaging in one of the boxes pulling out a blanket. The man was shivering. She covered him up and turned out the lights.

Once in her room taryn undressed and pulled on a rolling stones tee shirt and some Nike running shorts. She climbed into bed and aighrd staring at the ceiling. She was tired and when she finally fell asleep the nightmares began.

A few hours had passed and she flew out of bed covered in sweat. Her heart was pounding and her muscles ached as if she had been tensing for hours. Taryn shook and fought off the wave of tears. Whenever she closed her eyes it was like she was back in Afghanistan.

Clark barely noticed her help him to the couch. He had reached his breaking point and he knew it. He broke out in a cold sweat, mumbling a thank you as she covered him with a blanket. He inwardly cursed as he realized he must have caught whatever bug was going around.

It was a few hours before he woke. Something had woken him from his fevered sleep and he looked around in confusion. He was on a sofa but what we're all these boxes doing in his office? "What?" He managed to croak out, sitting up and grabbing his head.

Taryn was in the kitchen drinking a cup of tea when she heard Clark croak out a question. She rose a brow and wondered if maybe he was delirious. Sleep deprivation did that to people.

"Here." She murmured as she walked towards him a d handed him a bottle of water.

"Do you need anything? Tylenol or something?" She could read his confusion so she sighed before explaining, it all just made it look so weird.

"You drove me home. You could barely stand up, you crashed on my couch. No biggie, I promise."

Clark took the bottle of water, taking a swig and looking back up at her. "Tylenol if it's not too much to ask." He laid back on the couch, closing eyes that felt like they were on fire. "I'm sorry. Last thing you probably wanted was your new boss crashing on your couch."

He dozed off again, bottle of water pressed against his cheek as he waited for the Tylenol. His phone ringing woke him and he looked to see it was five in he morning. "Shit...I'm supposed to be at the office."

Taryn handed him two pills and shook her head. "Look, not trying to step on any toes but you're not doing very well. Why don't I go in and you actually sleep. You can crash here until you feel up to moving. I just think you'd be more useful at the place you love if you were actually human. You're a walking zombie Clark. If you feel up to it after a good sleep session you could join us then. Just tell me what absolutely needs done before opening and I'll get it done."

Taryn stood infront of the sofa looking down at him, waiting for his answer. She had worked in a bar for many years back in college. She wasn't an expert in business so of course she had no desire to run one but managing a bar she had done. With the rest of her life on hold until shit cleared up, it's the least she could do to keep busy.

Clark looked up at her after swallowing the pills. "As long as I go with. Shit you can drive my car..." He moved to stand, staring at her and daring her to push the issue. The bar was his baby and its revenues were his profits. He couldn't stand the idea of being away from it for too long.

"I've got to be there for when the renovations get started..." He turned his head, coughing before looking back at her. He could still feel his keys rolling around in his pocket and he pulled them out.

Taryn nodded, she wouldn't dare tell him he couldn't go to his own bar. She moved swiftly to change pulling on some skinny jeans, the work tee she had happily thrown for a wash and dry this morning and a black small fitted vest. After sliding into her converse she head for the door. She drove them both to the bar in silence, as was the norm for them. Her hair was loose and it danced in the wind from the cracked window. The sky was dark and rumbly, it looked like the day would never clear up.

Once inside the bar Taryn got to work, allowing Clark to head to his office and do as he saw fit. Sleep, not sleep... the man was an adult he could choose to get worse or get better all on his own. A contractor showed up shortly after.

"Hi I'm looking for the owner?" The older gentleman spoke.

"Damn, if you're the owner I want a job." A younger handsome man spoke from behind his father. Beside him was an identical man, Taryn had to give a double take. She looked out the window at the van, Cowan and sons. Well Mr. Cowan's sons were pretty damn studly. Taryn shook her head. "Office." was all she said as she continued working behind the counter. The older gentleman, Steven Cowan, head for the office. While his sons stayed behind, eyes glued on Taryn.

"I'm Matt" the one that had spoken to her earlier said.

"And I'm Max." the twin added. Taryn eyed them with risen brow and held her hand out.

"Taryn, I'm also busy, you guys should go hear from boss man what needs done." She nodded towards the office and turned around checking bottles for expiration dates and for which alcohol she needed to stock beneath the counter for when her bottle ran out.

Clark couldn't keep her eyes off of her on the whole ride. He blamed the fever for loving the way her hair caught the breeze. He got to the bar and went straight to his office, falling asleep at his desk.

What felt like only minutes later, a man walked into his office and he startled awake. "Mr. Kentworth?" The older man asked, "names Mr. Cohen.."

"Yes please have a seat..." Clark felt on edge, clearing his throat. "Please call me Clark." He spread out his floor plans on his desk.

"Clark Kentworth?" The older gentleman asked.

"Yeah my mom was very fond of the Lois and Clark series..." He cleared his throat, using every shred of willpower he had to keep focused. "Now about the plans...I would love to put a gaming corner and some tables here."

Mr Cowen nodded and looked over the plans. "If we do that we have to remove this wall which means the storage area won't be storage anymore..."

Taryn kept looking over her shoulder towards the office. Why was she feeling so protective? Like she wanted to make sure Clark was okay and that these guys weren't going to use the fact that he was sick and sleep deprived as a means to get money out of him or screw him over. She used her worry as means to grab a cup of hot tea and take it to the office. She walked past all the men, ignoring the looks she got from the sons and placed the cup of tea before Clark.

"Figured you needed something to help you feel better and wake up." she said softly. She stood off to the side from him but from where she stood she could oversee the plans. She didn't move and the sons eyed her confusedly. She didn't mind though, she just hoped Clark didn't mind.

Clark relaxed when he saw Taryn. The cup of tea was much appreciated and he felt a sigh escape his lips. He shrugged his shoulders, taking a sip of it. "That hasn't been used for storage for years. There's only an old gas line and stove back there."

"If you would like we can go ahead and take down that wall and put up a partial kitchen. It would be more expensive but in the long run you would have a better station for gaming tournaments."

Clark seemed to give it thought, leaning back in his chair with eyes piercing the plans. "Draw me up a bid and I'll call you in a few days."

The older man nodded, standing and motioning to his sons. "I will get this to you tomorrow mr. Kentworth."

Taryn eased as well when she saw the three men leave. She looked over at Clark and the awkwardness was back. What was it about her boss that made her feel weird? She blinked her eyes and nodded before heading for the door. She had made sure the entire bar was alcohol stocked, now it was time to fill napkins, straws, stirrers, cups and the like. She moved down the basement stairs to storage. She squinted as the light flickered to life. She grabbed from different boxes and moved around the basement looking for all she needed, no use in making two trips.

Clark finished his tea before moving towards the basement. There were some boxes down there with something he might be able to use if he decided to turn the bar into a more tavern atmosphere. He nearly tripped on the way down, putting a hand to his forehead in frustration. Why did he have to get sick now?

Clark moved towards the boxes in the corner, sighing and opening one. All the old plates were still there...did he think it would be wise to go to a tavern feel? People would certainly stay longer if he offered food. He would need to find a cook

Taryn looked over from behind some boxes when she heard someone rustling about in the basement with her. She saw Clark opening boxes and looking at them weird.

"They're not gonna speak to you, you know?" she teased from where she was hidden behind a shelf of boxes. She could tell he wasn't feeling well and shook her head. "You should really take some medicine and go rest... only way you're going to get better." she added from her hiding spot.

Clark jumped, looking around the basement. "I can't...Adam just called in." He blinked slowly before sitting down in the middle of the floor. "That leaves me and Ashley..." He shuddered, a mild look of fear crossing his face. "I'm tempted to shut the bar down for the night..."

His eyes glazed over at the thought of working with Ashley now that she was back from vacation. What had occurred before she had left would haunt him a little longer. "If I didn't need the bodies so badly..." He started talking to himself softly, realizing with a soft grunt that he needed to hire more bartenders

Taryn walked over to him and set the items she had in her arms down. She sat down across from him and eyed him intently.

"Look, I know we don't know each other and I know you have no reason to trust me but I've managed a bar before. There is no reason why I can't run it while you're off sleeping away whatever the hell this is." she said waving her hand in a circular motion in front of him. "You could crash in your office, as you have been, any big major decisions I could run by you if one should arise. For God's sake I'm a first sargeant in the United States Army, I'm sure I could run this bar without the sky falling. But hey, she's your baby. Your call." Taryn's blue eyes looked at Clark but when his eyes met hers she looked away instanty. There was just something about Clark that made her feel for once like a challenge

Clarks brow furrowed when she suddenly looked away from him. Why did he feel like he could trust her? He sighed and nodded. "It's one of those slow nights...I'll let you handle it." He looked down at his lap, feeling the world tilt slightly as he finally relinquished control.

"Promise you'll get me if you need something?" He looked back up at her, leaning closer to her. He was drawn to her as if he was a magnet. "No matter how small..." His voice dropped and he stared at her.

Status
Not open for further replies.