Sometimes Goodbye is a second chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taryn tossed all night. She gave up at seven in the morning. She jumped into the shower and got ready for the day. Her phone rang and she looked at the screen as she ate her bagel.

"Hello?" She answered between bites.

"Ms. Roberts." Her lawyer answered. She had been glad that even after joining the army and getting married she hadn't changed her name.

"Yeah... what's the news?"

"Nate fought hard for half your inheritance, the judge ordered it frozen for six months. He would like for you to come to the next hearing in a month. He also froze your job placement because it will interfere with the military's view on your divorce."

"Thanks for the great news." Taryn said before hanging up. She fought the deep anger and walked to work when the time came. She needed to find a shooting range around here and fast.

Clark had gotten up early and changed clothes. He ran to the bank and had pay checks drawn up before noon. He then waited at the bar for the shipment. It still had not arrived but Taryn had. He let her in, smiling amicably when he saw her. "Ready for another day?" He asked, frowning when Adam rushed in late.

Adam went straight to work, Clark handing him a paycheck. Clark had gone home long enough to shave, his eyes red tinged from lack of sleep. "Alright. Adam I'm still waiting on the shipment...they called saying hey were delayed getting here. So you are in charge of the bar."

He moved back to the office, running a hand over tired eyes before wondering why he had gone into the office. He was starting to forget little things and he knew as soon as Tasha came back he would need a day off. He shrugged, heading to the front just as a bell rang signaling a truck had arrived at the front.

Taryn kept herself busy, stocking all the coolers, filling the ice bins, making sure everything would run smoothly. The bell sounding made her jump, her hands going to her head as she ducked. When it stopped ringing she shook as she stood straight again. Her eyes did not dare look up from where she was filling peanuts and pretzels. She prayed no one had seen her. She tried to still her breathing, her heart was pounding so hard she was sure the others could hear over the music.

Her hair was loose today and it fell in soft golden waves. She ran her fingers roughly through her hair almost as if displacing the pounding pressure that was running through her skull at the moment. She had no problem defending her country, but she hated the aftermath of her years of duty. Where was her country now for her or any of its veterans? She shoved a dry bar rag into her back pocket and moved towards the front door to help with the shipment.

Clark rushed towards the door and opened it wide. It took him two minutes to sign the papers and lift each of the twenty five pound boxes over his head and into his shoulders. He moved behind the bar and started stacking the crates of bottles behind the counter. Once he was done moving all the boxes he sighed and looked at the shipment. "Well then..." He took the order sheet and moved towards his office. "I'll be in my office a few minutes come in if you need me..."

Taryn helped Adam unbox all the shipment. She didn't speak for the hours it took to stock everything. Little by little people began filling the bar. Taryn was surprised that regulars were back in. Maybe this town had a real issue with alcohol.

"Hey there gorgeous, when did you get hired?" a man asked as he sat on the stool right in front of Taryn.

Taryn rose her brow. "What can I get for you?"

"Your name and number?" he snickered before pointing to a bottle of bourbon. Taryn poured him a drink and handed it to him.

"Three fifty."

"Name."

"Taryn. Now can you please pay up, I'd really hate to have to call the owner." Taryn said holding her hand out. The man grabbed at her wrist as he placed the money in her palm. Taryn pulled her arm back with force and glared at him.

"Whoa there Taryn, you okay?" The man smirked. Taryn shook her head at him placing the money in the cash register.

"Come on sweetheart, I'm Ben. Tash never had a problem with me being overy affectious."

"That's not even a word. Overy affectionate. I feel sorry for your brain." Taryn murmured to herself.

"That's how she made the best of her money. I tip well."

"Well that's great since I give all my tips to the bar. I don't take nothing home." Taryn smiled wryly at him before turning to help another customer.

Clark had dozed off, his head had started to throb. He was sprawled out on his couch, a floor plan for renovations spread on his chest.

Adam was having difficulty with a regular. He had been having problems for awhile with her being overly flirty. Tonight she was drunk and throwing money at him. He looked over at Taryn, seeing she was closer to the office. "Get the boss please? This one needs a cab." It was something Tasha would have known right away meant something was about to go down

Taryn looked over at Adam and nodded moving swiftly into the office, she hadn't even knocked. She looked over at Clark who had fallen asleep. She frowned, he needed to sleep.

"Sorry to interrupt boss but Adam's got a pretty drunk chick who won't back off. He asked me to get you." Taryn said standing by the door.

Clark grunted, wiping at his eyes and looking up at Taryn. "Let me guess...brunette? Small? Outrageously drunk?" He stood and put a hand to his head. "Sounds like another one of his fan club"

He moved to stand in front of her, eyes searching her face. "You okay? Did someone bug you?" He put a hand on her upper arm, concern in his eyes.

Taryn was slightly shocked that Clark was concerned for her and that he had caught on that something had occurred.

"I'm fine... nothing I can't handle. Adam though... seems to need you." She smiled softly.

Clark grunted, her comment jolting him back to reality. "Right. Adam. Man this kid can be a pain..." He mumbled under his breathe and headed out to him. In a matter of minutes the drunk and nearly comatose girl into a cab and home. He came back inside, moving to work behind the bar in a dazed state. Almost without thinking he started singing softly and twirling glasses and liquor bottles in his hands.

Taryn watched him from where she stood. She cocked her head to the side watching him even though half asleep working with such ease. He had been working in this bar for a long time she assumed, it was his baby. She was surprised to find herself almost smiling. She caught herself and shook her head at once, turning her gaze back to her station.

"Hey Taryn, why don't you come out here and dance to this song with me." Ben called as he nursed his fourth bourbon. Taryn moved outside the station to clean up two tables that had empty bottles and drinks. As she was wiping down a table Ben moved behind her and pushed himself against her. Taryn's mind froze as her heart sped up to a million beats, panic and need for suvival pushing through her veins as it had in combat. She pushed back against him and was surprised at his strength as he pulled her hips back towards him.

"Get off of me." Taryn said through gritted teeth.

Clark had zero tolerance for that shit. He had jerked up, senses tingling. He put down his bottles, tossing a rag towards Adam. "Call a cab" he moved around from the bar and grabbed Ben's collar. "Sorry folks, I might have to close early tonight! No one told me I forgot to take out the trash." He dragged Ben back before glaring at the man. "When will you learn to stop harassing my girls?"

His fist was clenched, jaw tight with anger.

Taryn watched in awe as she stood still inside. Even Nate whom she had dated a year before marrying him had never reacted that way towards any guy that had been forward with her. Now a complete stranger, her boss had been s caring since day one. It simply took her by surprise.

Anyone that knew Clark knew that Ben was on thin ice. The whole bar went silent, some of the patrons leaving after putting large tips in the jar. Clark took a step towards Ben, watching the other man falter. "Get out of my bar before I beat your ass."

He crossed arms over his chest, standing in front of Taryn protectively.

Ben growled as he staggered on his feet from inebriation. "I know you walk home hun, saw you yesterday. We'll run into each other again." Ben said before turning around and walking out of the bar. Taryn merely blinked her eyes, the threat made not real threat seemed to bounce around in her head.

Clark puffed up, keeping his anger in check with barely any restraint. "Anyone else feel like messing with my girls better remember where the liquor comes from!!!" He whirled around to face Taryn. "My office now" he growled, confused as to why he was taking his frustration out on her.

The rest of the bar went back to their conversations as Clark stomped towards his office. He sat down, his jaw still clenched with anger as he waited on his new bartender to follow him.

Taryn was in awe. One second he's defending her the next he was growling at her. She turned after him and went into his office. She shut the door behind her and leaned back against it. She sighed.

"If you need to fire me that's fine, I'll bring the clean t shirt back tomorrow." Taryn murmured, her bright blue eyes glued to her nikes.

Clark frowned. "Why the hell would I fire you?" He groaned, running fingers through hair that had gotten too long for his liking. "I'm sorry. Sit down please."

He had been angry plenty of times. He'd been in more fights than he could remember, but there had been something about her face frozen in terror that had shaken him to his core. He let out a deep breath, eyes turning to gaze at her with softness in them. "I forbid you to go home alone tonight."

Forbid? When had he ever told a woman that? He stood, confusion rippling through him when he realized he was losing it. "I meant...that I'll accompany you home. Just in case. Sit here and relax for awhile." He left the office, heading back to his bar to find only a few parsons were left.

Adam approached, frowning. "Tasha just called and quit and Ashley is back from vacation tomorrow...want me to pencil her in?"

Taryn blinked her eyes. He had just forbid her from going home alone. What in the hell? Then as soon as he had said he was accompanying her he was gone. What in the heck was going on?

Taryn sat down in the seat in front of his desk and sighed. She pressed her face into her hands and waited quietly. This was a new town and already it was taking its toll on her.

Clark shook his head. "Shut it down...I can't do this right now..." He went behind the bar, pouring himself a shot of whiskey and downing it in one sip. Within five minutes the bar was closed and Adam looked at Clark with worry in his eyes.

"I'll lock up boss." He mumbled.

Clark nodded, grabbing his jacket off the wall and putting it on. "I'm headed home..." He moved
Back to his office and opened the door. "Come on Taryn.." He looked at her in exhaustion before heading back to the bar. "Adam, do me a favor and call Ashley in. And for goodness sakes don't let her know Tasha quit before she gets here." He rubbed his temples, his headache getting worse by the minute. "Oh and make sure the corner tables are moved please. The renovator in going to be on tomorrow to talk to me."

Status
Not open for further replies.