Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, Sci fi, anything in which the world itelf is extremely interesting.
Hello, and thank you for checking this out! I've had a system of using Magic I've been polishing for some time now, and would like to use it in another RP. It's pretty in depth, in my opinion. So... here we go.

Introduction to Magic;
To understand how Magic works in this setting, you have to imagine a world that operates on two levels; The Material World, and the Spirit World.
*Material World; Physical objects, you're probably familiar with it already.
*Spirit World; Realm of free magical energy, spirits, demons, angels, gods, ect.
Magic exists, essentially, in any given place, and those who are able to reach between the worlds and manipulate Magic are called Mages. There are a few given ways one can be a Mage, but that will be touched on later. For now, let it be established that the act of Magic is an exchange; By interacting with the Spirit World, a Mage may gain power. In turn, the Spirit or magical force he or she used may gain power. There is, in most cases, quite a cost for a Mage to use Magic, which turns most, but not all, away from the ways of life the use of Magic offers.

There are two "Forms of Access" in Magic, and three classes of both. first is "Oathmakers", whose abilities require direct aid from spirits, and then there are "Weavers" who perform magic without the use of a spirit. It is possible for one to double as one class from Oathmaker and another as a Weaver. However, they cannot be two classes from the same Access, due to logical constraints. Ex: If you're a Warlock, benevolent spirits will not help you. If you are a Wizard, being a Sorcerer would be redundant and, frankly, a waste of time and sanity.

Oathmakers;
*Thaumaturge: Makes a pact with benevolent spirits to gain power. They are limited in that these powers must be used for good, and require a great deal of faith to wield.
*Druid: Makes a pact with neutral spirits to gain power, however, these can be used to grant the whims if the spirits at any time, and can be hard to control.
*Warlock/Witch: Makes a soul-binding deal with a malevolent spirit to gain power, these spirits are rarely interested in what the powers it grants are used for, so long as in the process, the Mage works to help strengthen the spirit.

Weavers:
*Sorcerer: When a strong minded mortal dedicated themselves to the study of magic, they can learn how to percieve and manipulate the forces of magic, with the risk of mental strain. At a worst case scenario, a Sorcerer may go insane.
*Phycic: On rare occasions, an individual has a strong enough soul to allow them to tap into it's power. Using it's power can cause emotional strain. At a worst case scenario, A Phycic's soul may be entirely depleted.
*Wizard: Some people are descended from result of a union between a Spirit taking physical form and a Mortal. Because of this, their bodies are inherently magical, and they can tap into this power. Doing so can cause Physical exhaustion or harm. At a worse case Scenario, they lose control of their powers and possibly destroy their physical bodies.

Applications of Magic:
There are six ways in which Magic, after being acquired, can be used.
*Casting: Directly affecting the Material World.
*Enchanting: Assigning Magical properties to an object.
Summoning: Materializing magical energy or spirits through ectoplasm.
*Communication: The transport of things through the Spirit World.
*Transmutation: Changing the properties of the material world.
*Alchemy: Utilizing magic as found in the natural world.

There are a few types of Spirits as well;
*Light; Gain power through good actions and faith.
*Neutral; Gain power in seemingly random ways, be it a fire elemental burning stuff, or a fairy messing around with some poor schmuck.
*Dark; Gain power through bad actions and eating souls.

Matter that exists in equal parts in both the spirit and physical world is referred to as ectoplasm.

If this receives enough interest for me to make an OOC, I'll go into a bit more detail.

As for the story, I'm thinking an open world situation, probably within a city or small collection of cities dedicated to the Magical arts, and something is causing some sort of disturbance.

Things I'm still deciding;
Average level of a Mage's power.
Level of Secrecy in the Magical arts.
Technological level of setting.

Questions and suggestions are appreciated and encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.