Something-or-Anothers: Tales of the Confused Adventure's Shenanigans

Sage was quietly laughing all the way out of the room. Maybe she was going crazy that she had to latch on to this one stupid thing in the face the fact that unprepared adventures died quite often. Fucking hell what were they getting into?! Why her? She was a good girl who didn't do that many bad things in her life time!

When they got back down to the guild hall, Sage sighed, finally wiping mist from her eyes from laughing, "ahh.. ok. Equipment. I heard there is a good place in town, so how about we go take a peak?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ixidor92
"Come on Sage, it isn't that funny."
Sanz was reminded of his breakdown in the presence of Vudall earlier. When he had an experience he could only describe as a slight hint of madness. Maybe Sage had been able to hold on longer, but finally cracked just a little bit as well.
"Sure... that sounds like a plan. Any idea how to get there?"
They had just arrived today after all, it wasn't like they knew the town at all. Unless they moved on soon, he would need to make sure that was fixed.

As they walked, Sanz looked back down at the guild card in his hands.
"And perhaps on the way... we should figure out what our opening skillset will be."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tiger Dragon
"We should.. balance our team." Sage told Sanz suddenly when he mentioned figuring out the 'opening skillset'. She ran her hand through her hair with a sigh before she saw that girl again. This time, she was alone without the big man hovering around her. "Nows our chance," Sage said before sprint-walking her way over to the brown haired girl.

The girl had on a pair of glasses, her long brown hair braided down her back. She wasn't very tall, Sage was sure somewhere around 5'2. "Hey, Cheery!" Sage said, putting her hand on the girls shoulder.

The girl turned around to look at Sage started. The little blue lizard on her shoulder looked just as so. Sage realized it wasn't a 'blue lizard' it was a blue dragon. Sage only saw pictures, but she was pretty sure this was a dragon. Sage stared dumbling in shock before the girl spoke up awkwardly.

"I-I'm sorry I don't thi--"

"Ahhh man, you're not Cheery!" Sage said suddenly, regarding her composer.

"Ooh, no. My name is Rhea." She said, a little flushed and embarrassed.

"Rhea, what a lovely name. My name is Sage. New adventure. Just started today. Me and my best friend Sanzy here were just looking for the store to equip ourselves for our first adventure. New in town, you know?" Sage said with a grin.

"O-oh. I think I can help you with that." Rhea said, giving a shy look at Sanz.

• Nice Execution!
"Now's our chance to wha--"
Sanz didn't have time to finish his sentence before Sage went running off. His destination quickly became clear--and Sanz had to let out a sigh before following. Maybe he could keep Sage at bay before the young man's relentless flirting got him into trouble.

"Don't worry too much about the pretty-boy here. This is how he treats everyone. That being said, if you could point us in the direction of a shop with general equipment that isn't too expensive I would appreciate it."
The man was doing his best not to intimidate the young woman. She didn't look particularly sociable without the taller gentleman around. Quite the opposite... despite the fact that she was clearly fine befriending--wait was that a dragon? A closer look revealed that yes, in fact, it was a dragon. If but a small one.

"Just please keep your flirting to a minimum Sage."

Sage laughed, "Oh Sanzy, you're such a joker!" Sage told him, waving her hands around a bit. Man, what a downer Sanz was. Not really a downer, but a rather a really terrible wingman. Sage could get them so much more if he'd just stop talking for a little bit and just let her do all the talking.

"O-oh, Yeah, I can do that." Rhea made a motion for them to follow her. "It's just down the road from us." Rhea told them.

Sage chuckled, "Yeah we are just starting out. We are a bit lost and confused. Totally new at this whole thing." Sage told her.

"Well.. if you have any questions, you can always ask me. I don't mind." Rhea offered.

"Wow, really? That would be simply amazing!" Sage said.

This girl... struck Sanz as the type to be easily pushed around. At least from what he had seen so far, though she was surprisingly willing to help. Hopefully he would be proven wrong.
"Are you in the habit of helping new adventurers like this? I thought that was the Guild Trainers' job."

As they walked down the street, Sanz was keeping his eyes peeled for two things. The first was the taller man that had been with Rhea earlier. The second... was any kind of clothing store. He was getting tired of all the looks and second-glances both he and Sage were getting. Plus he really didn't like sticking out like a sore thumb in the first place.

"Oh, yes. I'm not sure why." Rhea said, "but I often get a lot of questions."

Sage smirked, "I think it's because you look very intelligent and quite friendly." Sage told Rhea. That looked like it was about what had happened, "So, where did your boyfriend go? Tall, brown and glarry?" Sage asked.

"B-boyfriend? N-nothing like that! I don't have a boyfriend! That is my brother... Roen. And this is Reyes." Rhea said, poking the baby blue dragon.

Sage chuckled, patting herself on the back for correctly deducted what Roen was to Rhea from watching them in the Guildhall.

As they walked, Sanz saw quite a few shops even clothing.

"Here." Rhea said, stopping in front of a shop that looked a bit bigger then a lot of the shops around. The name was "The Sun & Moon".

"Huh." Sage said looking at it.

"That is just for adventures items and clothing. Some magic items. But for things like armor and weapons, you'll need to go to the smith for." Rhea told the two of them. "I can show you were to go for that too." She said.

Last edited:
Her brother huh? That... actually made a great deal more sense than the other options Sanz had been tossing around in his head. She wasn't talking much--which was fine by Sanz. Sage could talk enough for the three of them, whether they wanted him to or not. Sanz's thoughts were interrupted when the three of them arrived in front of the store. Sun and Moon... that was a different name.
"How far away is the smith? We'll definitely need some items from here, but I would like to see how much armor and weapons cost before spending too much."
That being said, the two of them would at least need new outfits, and probably some basic survival gear. They could maybe check prices, buy clothing, check the smith, and then return with whatever they had left over. Although...
"Actually--do you have an estimate on what things normally cost at the smith?"

"Well." Rhea said thinking, "A good beginner armor and weapon, maybe a couple gold? Then other things, backpack, potions, rope, flint and steel, cooking pots. Maybe a gold or so too?"

Sage froze, "Excuse me? For one person?" She asked.

"Y-yeah." Rhea said, "You don't have enough money do you?" Rhea asked.

"Pow-wow." Sage said, throwing an arm around Sanz's shoulder and turning around to talk to him, "Sounds like we might be skimping on a lot of stuff."

"Umm--" Rhea said.

Sage continued to half whisper to Sanz "The question is weapon and armor vs bags and other equipment we might need. We don't have enough, period."

"I could--" Rhea tried again.

"Which means we might want to get equipment first and find less dangerous quests to get enough money to get more of the basics. Might need to share basics for a bit." Sage continued.

• Haha
Sanz pondered the problem for a minute. It was true, they didn't have enough money to equip both of them properly. But...
"You may be right--but let me try something."
The man pulled out his guild card and went to two skills he had seen earlier. With two taps of his fingers an orange flash covered the area for a split-second.

You have unlocked the physique skill. You are more difficult to kill.

You have learned the ability Resilience.

You have unlocked the dodge skill. Your ability to dodge harm has increased.

"If I'm being honest, I'd prefer to fight the way I have been--which doesn't involve armor or weapons. So I can spend my share on basic items, and you can worry about equipment."
Sanz had been tossing around the idea back and forth since he took a closer look at a number of the skills. Sure, it probably wasn't the most optimal idea to go into combat with bare fists and your reflexes--but it was what he was used to. And if they weren't going to be able to start with a full set of equipment anyway this would give them some breathing room in their budget for a while. After going through all that, Sanz finally turned to Rhea, who had been stuttering and stumbling over her words for the last minute.
"Sorry, you were trying to say something?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Sage was half paying attention to Sanz as he spent skills on his card. Those skills honestly looked pretty promising. She wondered if she should do that herself. She hadn't even looked at the type of skill she wanted to get. Let alone any type of equipment she wanted to use. Sage had no idea how she wanted to fight. As most of her battles in the real world had been battles of wit, charm, and lies.

When Sanz was done, they both turned to look at Rhea. The girl was giving them a worried look. Something Sage couldn't really place. Rhea had just met them, so Sage wasn't sure why she looked so distressed.

"Um, I can lend you some money for equipment." Rhea offered them.

Sage crossed her arms, "No thanks." She said quickly. One thing Sage hated was debt. Sage had been paying a debt off all her life and she was very young. No thanks to debt was always going to be Sage's answer. Even if it was a life or death situation though?

Sanz could not place the look on Rhea's face right now--was she sad? Distressed? It was unusual given her current position. There should be no reason for that.
"The offer is appreciated, but I think we're already in deep with some god. I'll have to pass on that as well."
Sanz eyed the young woman up and down before letting out a sigh.
"If you worried about us I wouldn't spare it. At least one of us has been through enough shit to not get themselves killed."

Sanz was telling a bit of a lie here. It was true that he'd been through numerous fights... back in his world. And he had gotten very good at gauging his opponents' strength... back in his world. He had no idea if he would still be able to do that in this world.
"Well, we should at least get some new outfits Sage. The two of us stick out like a sore thumb."

"How about if I just buy you a couple of starter packs!" Rhea said, brightening up. "Consider it a welcome to the guild present!" Rhea told them. "And, maybe we can party some time together!" Rhea told them, "I can't fight very well... b-but I have healing magic!" She told them. "So I hope I can be of some use to you!" She told them.

"No, no, no, no. We really don't want it. But we might take you up on that party offer some time." Sage said to Rhea, happy that Sanz agreed with her, "Cloths first, then a weapon for me and the rest will go for anything else we can get." Sage said waving her hands, "We appreciate you beautiful generosity. Honestly." Sage told her. This had to be some kind of beginners scam trick. "Come on, lets go inside and try and find a bit of clothing," Sage said.

Sanz watched Sage enter the store before looking back to Rhea. Geez, the girl looked like she was about to cry. The man let out an exasperated breath before putting his hand down on top of Rhea's head.
"If you're worried it's something personal against you, then don't. We've both been through some shit today, and while I can understand why you'd think we would want all the help we could in that regard, I think it's just the tip of the iceberg. We're much better off trying to work through it on our own power than relying on the charity of others... Even if it is offered in good faith."
Sanz ruffled the girl's hair a little bit before pulling his hand away
"I can't speak for Sage, but that's where I stand. The offer is... much appreciated though. And I agree with Sage that we could use a good healer while out questing."
Sanz spoke the last sentence while on his way into the shop. He hoped Sage hadn't seen or heard too much of that.

• Love
Sage was in the building and looked behind her to see what happened and she could see Sanz talking to Rhea. Though she couldn't hear anything he was saying, but she did see Sanz ruffle Rhea's hair almost affectionately. Rhea seemed a little put off by this, mostly because her hair was in braids and Sanz had messed them up without much effort at all.

Sage rolled her eyes and chuckled a bit before turning, giving a startled yelp when she noticed two people standing in front of her. She stumbled back into Sanz as he walked into the shop. The two were obviously male and female twins and both had long ram like horns twisting around the side of their head.

They grinned at Sage and Sanz, "Welcome to the Sun & Moon! we're Ruby and Jade, at your service! You look like brand new adventures! How can we help you?"

Sage made a face, as these two seemed like they obviously rehearsed this several times.

Sanz had just entered the shop when Sage backed up into him. It didn't cause him to move much, since Sage weighed maybe half as much as he did, but it did startle him somewhat. That was only amplified by the twins speaking in unison like some kind of creepy rehearsed act.
"Um... well you're right on the whole new adventurers thing... For starters we're looking for some more fitting attire--"
Sanz felt one of his hands subconsciously rising in defense. He had a sneaking suspicion that he was about to be jumped by one or both of these individuals and dragged through the shop if he wasn't careful.

Sanz was right as both Sage and him were grabbed by both of the twins as they were dragged over to a section with clothing. Sage gave another involuntary gasp as they were whisked away.

"Right now cloaks are all the rage! We have several that look like they would be just your style!" one started to gab.

Jade smirked up at them, "And we have the most durable boots in all of Thymescria!" He told them.

"Oh my god they are creeping me out." Sage muttered under her breath. She didn't quite know how to take the two twins. Twins were cute. This was just creepy.

"Please, look around! Don't hesitate to give us a call--"
"Please, look around! Don't hesitate to give us a holler--"

They both stopped, then looked at each other as they realized they didn't say the same thing. There was an almost long awkward silence and Sage had her hands clasped across her mouth.

"Dear brother, I thought we agreed on call." Ruby said.

Jade crossed his arms, "Dear sister, we said call was too boring."

The two started to melt down into hushed, hash fighting whispers.

Sage was starting to break down into silent laughter again, her hands holding in any sound she could possibly make. She couldn't believe she was getting to witness this creepy act break down in front of her.

Rhea had been following around quietly behind everyone but was giving a bit of a concerned look at the twins.

• Love
Sanz tried to get a word in edge-wise while the twins gabbed on. It was impossible. He didn't need anything fancy, he and sage definitely didn't need anything expensive, it just needed to be functional and not stand out. When their act started to falter, and Sage was bent over trying not to laugh, Sanz finally just let out giant sigh. He was so done with today.

One hand went to collar of the brother, the other went to the collar of the sister, both were lifted off the ground and separated before being set back on their feet. Gently.
"Look. Me and my acquaintance here have had the day from hell. If you want to have your argument that's fine, please--just hold off until after we've left."

The two twins gave Sanz and unamused look when they were picked up and separated. Even after being put down, they both looked like they didn't appreciate it. But then again, Sanz hadn't appreciated what they were doing either, so Sage could see this being a mutual standoff.

"Well thanks so much for your help!" Sage said, breaking some of the tension. The two looked at her, "Sanzy and I will have a quick look around and we'll let you know if we need anything! Such a big store, but it looks so organized I'm sure we'll find everything we are looking for!" Sage said, buttering them up a bit as well.

"Of course!" Ruby said suddenly, "Right. We'll let you two be." She said, dragging Jade away somewhere else into the shop.

"Right... lets buy some clothing." Sage said, looking at the options they had.

Rhea smiled at them, "I think they mean well." She told Sage and Sanz.

Sanz took in a deep breath and forced his face back into a neutral position. He'd sleep this off, and hopefully feel better in the morning. Well... hopefully he'd wake up and this whole thing would turn out to be some crazy dream. But at this point he didn't expect that.
"Yes. Let's."
Sanz mostly let Sage lead the way around the store. He seemed much more the sort to be looking for clothes. Honestly, as long as he could find a durable and comfortable set of clothing, and he didn't stand out from the crowd here, he wouldn't be too picky. The thing that was throwing him off was the materials. Silkwurm thread, fibrous lilies, snowpelt fur... cotton and polyester would nowhere to be found.
"Rhea..."
Sanz paused for a minute, unsure of what he was about to do. But this was at least some small way to let her help
"If you had to be shopping on a budget, what materials would you recommend?"