Something-or-Anothers: Tales of the Confused Adventure's Shenanigans

Rhea nodded her head before doing the same for Sanz as she had done for Sage. She put her hands on his bandaged arm and the light appeared as she healed him, the pain being relived. When she was finished, she pulled her hand back from him, "All done." Rhea told Sanz.

Sage smirked and rolled her arm a bit, "All done is right. Lets go kick some ass. That reward is waiting for us." Sage said. She reached for her one scythe and nodded to Sanz to show him she was ready for him to start their flawless tactic.

Reactions: Ixidor92
Sanz looked down at his arm before pulling off the bandages. Sure enough, the bite marks from yesterday were gone, as was the pain.
He flexed his fingers a few times experimentally... No pain. No inflammation. No restricted movement. He was back to full fighting capacity. The man didn't say anything in response to Sage, instead choosing to nod before heading to the farmhouse.

When Sanz knocked on the door, he was met with a fairly ragged-looking woman at the door. She had long black hair, currently pulled back into a messy bun, and was dressed in simple clothing. At the sight of three adventurers at her doorstep, the woman gave a visible sigh of relief.
"You must be here to deal with the slimes--oh forgive me, where are my manners. My name is Helen. The two boys are currently upstairs... Please, if those things continue much longer the whole crop will be lost." She motioned for the group to come around the back. Sanz could hardly believe what he was seeing.

All over the crops were blobs of what appeared like blue jelly, each roughly the size of a soccer ball. And the path of each and every one of the little bastards was clearly visible. Like a snail leaving behind slime, only there was devastated vegetation to go along with whatever secretions were left. How many of these things were there? It easily numbered in the dozens... there might even be over 100...
"The darn things have multiplied since I first contacted the guild. I was trying to send another missive when you arrived."

• Love
Reactions: Tiger Dragon
"Uhh, we didn't think there were this many.." Sage said. She didn't want to be rude, but there better be more money involved or some extra something for killing WAY more of them then they originally planned, "Don't worry Ma'am, This is a job for the Amazing Adventure Squad! We're here to help now!" Sage told her confidently, "So go ahead and go in and rest."

"Amazing.... adventure...?" Rhea breathed a confusion next to Sanz, "Y-yes, we got this." Rhea said less then confident unlike Sage, but points for trying.

"Alright Sanz, engage battle plan Alpha!" Sage said sweeping her hand in front of her.

"What's battle plan alpha?" Rhea asked startled.

"The only battle plan we have..." Sage said, which was Sanz distracted and Sage picked them off one by one.

• Haha
Sanz let out a groan and put his hand to his head. Not only had Sage come up with a silly name--it was a different silly name. The man turned to look at Rhea, not removing the hand from his face.
"Just... ignore the name."
He turned to Helen briefly
"Go inside, one of us will let you know when we're done."

The man took in a deep breath before turning his gaze back to the fields. The only plan they had indeed. Only thing was these were nothing like anything he had fought before in his world. Sanz slammed his right fist into his open left palm, and a faint red light started to shine through his skin, in a pattern not dissimilar to his blood vessels.
"Resilience..."
Nothing for it but to dive in.

Sanz charged into the fields, making sure that he remained in an open area that gave the others a clear line of sight. The first slime he punched flew off of its chosen stalk before landing some odd feet away with a squelch. There was no primal sound of any kind from the creature, just its body moving over the ground as it oozed towards him. Others slowly moved into range, and Sanz beat them back as well. He couldn't take them out in a single punch, but they were so slow he didn't need to really worry. At least until the numbers started to grow.

When he was surrounded by about a dozen, one finally managed to leap off of a plant stalk onto his arm. Sanz shook it off violently before smashing it into a pulp. His arm tingled where the thing had landed, not really burning or painful, but the man did not relish the though of finding more slimes on him.
"Sage! I think I got their attention!"

At first, Sage just watched, Rhea standing next to him, "Wow.. .they sure are slow. I think Sanz would just be fine." Sage said waving her hand.

"I don't know..." Rhea said, watching Sanz gather all the slimes attentions. After a few minutes though, the smiles had gathered and the horde actually looked terrifying.

When one jumped on Sanz, Sage looked lightly alarmed, "Oh shit, you ok?" Sage got her blade and rushed forward to try and slash a few of them to take off Sanz horde. She was suprised when it didn't really hurt the slime of anything.

Sanz grunted in response to Sage. Another slime had latched onto his shin, and he had to rip it off with his hands before hurling it against the ground about 10 feet away. After smacking a few more of the things away, he had enough space in his head to actually speak.
"As long as I don't have ten or so of these things latch onto me at once I'll be fine. They just tingle a bit--GRUH!"
Sanz leaped backwards to dodge one slime, only to step in another. That was quickly latched onto by two more. He had to roll away from a couple more slimes before he could finally rip the ones on his leg off. And yet even more seemed to be piling out of the crop fields. Were there fifty of them? More? He in no way to could kill them faster than they were showing.
"They're no issue by themselves, but in these numbers... Sage how many times can you use your skill? I think that may be the only way to kill these things fast enough."
As if to make his point, the next slime that jumped at him was met with a Haymaker, and flew back about 20 feet before exploding into a pile of goo. He could only do that maybe three or four times though...

• Love
"I don't know.." Sage said, slashing another one herself, she was surprised how easily they seemed to die. But it wasn't easy enough since there was a lot of them in the first place. She hadn't used her skill yet, "I'm going to guess how many times you can!" Sage told Sanz. Sage sighed before jumped to the small horde following them and using the skill, "Slash!" Sage said and she actually cut through four of them in one swing around her immediate area. "Whoa!"

Rhea came up and then bashed one of the slimes with her staff, "Do you need healing yet?!" She asked him.

One corner of Sanz's mouth peeled back in a grimace. Sage was at least able to kill a few slimes at a time, but if he could only do that a similar number of times to Sanz...
"I don't really need any healing yet--they haven't managed to mob me completely yet."
The man decided not to voice his concerns on what would happen if that did actually pass. What they needed now was some breathing room, maybe cause the damn things to give pause... assuming they were even capable of thinking like that.
"Sage, go ham with your slash skill for a little while. Try to hit at least three with each swing until you start to feel tired, I'll keep them off of you."
Sanz smacked his fist back into his hand, re-casting resilience... just to be on the safe side. He only had a second though before he was smacking more of the damn things away. He had a sneaking suspicion that this quest was significantly worse than what the original posting had said. And if that was the case... Sanz would not be afraid to grab both of his party members and run. They couldn't afford to die fighting sentient jellies.

• Haha
Sage used her skill several more times, getting a minimum of two with each slash. Maximum of five. Sage even as one point had to run away because they turned their sights on her and started to swarm her a bit. She mostly tried to run a circle and get them to get back onto Sanz, but the little assholes seemed to have a real one track mind.

Rhea smashed a few here and there, but she really wasn't as helpful as Sage and Sanz were with the seer amount they were killing.

"Ok Sanz.. I'm getting tired." Sage said, "I can maybe... do my skill one or two more times." She panted to him.

Every time Sage cut through a swath of Slimes, Sanz would immediately follow up on his position. The number of slimes latching onto him increased, generally two or three at a time, but he was always able to hurl them off before things got out of hand. He also had to ask Rhea for healing twice. The minutes were starting to drag on, and if they didn't have a break soon running away was going to be the only--
"Wait... are they retreating?"

Sanz had stepped in front of both Rhea and Sage, ready for another rush of slimes... but they were now heading into the opposite direction. The disappeared into the fields, and suddenly it was dead-quiet. Had Sage slashing like a maniac actually scared them?
"We'll need to do a check of the area... but that might have--"
The man stopped speaking on a dime, words falling dead from his mouth. A sickening, constant, and loud squelching was overtaking all three of them. They didn't have to wonder for long as to its source.

Plowing through the fields towards them, far faster than Sanz would have thought possible, was a slime... except this thing was roughly as large as a monster truck. Sanz could see the crops inside of it being broken down within. Whatever this thing was made of was far more potent.
"Rhea..."
Sanz started, but before he could get his full thoughts out, a bulge formed in the giant slime, followed by it lashing out like an arm at them. Sanz leaped to the side, and dragged both of his party members with him as best as he could, ending with all three of them piled in the dirt.
"RHEA! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!"
For the first time in a long time, Sanz made no effort to hide the growing panic in his voice. In fact, even if he had been focusing on keeping that down, he probably wouldn't have been able to.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Sage was starting to think they bit off more then they could chew and she was starting to see why the guild had made just to make quests with levels. This quest really was truly a bit too much for them. She wasn't sure if she was up for ever taking a quest higher level then her again. Then they started to retreat, "Ah, I guess we scared them!" Sage said happily. Good, she had been running out of breath.

Her earlier thoughts intensified when something as big as a bus started to roll up to them, "What.. the fuck.. is THAT?!" Sage screamed like Sanz did.

"I-It's a boss monster!" Rhea said startled, "King Slime! Guys! We might not be able to fight this. This is really strong! Especially since you guys used a lot of energy on the fight... but if you kill the slime, w-we might scare off the other slimes. Maybe." Rhea mentioned to them.

"MAYBE?!" Sage said asked, panic rising in her own voice.

• Haha
For a moment, Sanz was ready to run away. There was no way the three of them could fight that thing and reasonably expect to survive. But as his head turned, Sanz's gaze lingered on the farmhouse. Inside was a young woman and her two children, with no fighting skills to speak of. Given it's size, that thing was going to tear through the house like bulldozer.

The man took a deep inhalation through his teeth, then let it all out in a roar. The sort of noise a human can only make when fueled by adrenaline.
"Rhea! I want you to go over absolutely anything you know about this creature that might be useful. I do mean ANYTHING. Sage! Keep your distance for now, if you find some large stones, or maybe something like a torch, try throwing it at the thing but do NOT directly engage it until we have a plan of attack!"

Sanz took in another sharp breath, smacked his fists into each other, and the telltale signs of Resilience flooded his skin again. Despite his bravado, Sanz's clenched hands were visibly shaking. This giant blob was far more terrifying than any knife-armed thug he had met in a back alley.
"COME HERE YOU SON OF A BITCH!"
Sanz dashed forward, his words half-speech and half-roar, still fueled purely by adrenaline and desperation. Another pseudo-pod flew from the creature's mass, but he dodged to the side before finally slamming his fist into the creature. Then another--and another. It was impossible to tell if his fists were doing anything to the giant blob. When the thing started rolling towards him though, he was pretty sure he had at least managed to get its attention.
"Rhea! Start listing please!"

"ARE YOU NUTS?!" Sage yelled as Sanz, watching him charge the rolling slime.

"Ah... King slimes are literally, mostly just, bigger slimes, because its mass is bigger, it's m-much harder to k-kill. Harder to get to the core." Rhea studdered out, "it's also m-more acidic than the little ones because it is a bit more c-concentrated. W-we should try and k-keep it away from the other slimes."

Sage was shifting back and forth on her feet, wondering if she wanted to jump in and help or not. Throw a rock at it? Was he fucking kidding? Maybe she should invest in a long range weapon? That was if Sage got out of here ALIVE. If Sanz got eaten, Sage was getting the hell out of here. Core, Core... how were they supposed to get to its core? A really long stick? Sage looked around seeing a scarecrow, running over and picking it out of the ground.

Sanz barely registered Sage shouting behind him. Was he nuts? It was quite possible, honestly the man didn't really have time or any inclination to think about that right now as he remained in constant motion. This "King Slime" was constantly mowing its way towards him, meaning he had to keep stepping backwards to avoid trampling, and all the while was continuing to lash out at him with pseudo pods. Each one that impacted the ground left a sizable mark, and he could feel the *thud* of every slam in his chest.
"So if we kill the core, got it!"

Now how the fuck were they going to do that?

They had access to a staff, his fists, and a sickle as far as weapons went. And Rhea was a self-professed non-combatant. Which left them with very limited range. Assuming this thing's core was in the center, they needed to get far deeper into it than those would allow.

Wait, the other slimes.

Sanz had his train of thought momentarily interrupted when he stepped in something. Three of the normal slimes had leaped onto his right calf and foot, holding him there for a moment. And a moment was all the King needed. The next pseudopod slammed into Sanz's side, and even though he could see the attack coming and block it, the impact rocked through his entire body. The arm he had used screamed at him in response. Rhea hadn't been overstating how its acid was more potent.
"Goddamn things! Get off--"
And then the thing lumbered forward, throwing multiple extensions of itself around Sanz.
"Shit!"
It was the only thing that could leave the man's mouth before he was engulfed. Sanz found himself tumbled around in what felt like a pool of molasses, with wilted plant-matter brushing against him. He couldn't dare open his eyes, as his entire body now screamed with the same pain that had been isolated on his arm earlier. He struggled to try and displace himself, but the consistency was too thick, and any time he tried to move even a single limb, the rest of his body would just push in the opposite direction. There was no control, and he could feel panic rising inside him as he struggled to find a way out.

From the outside, a vague figure of Sanz could be seen, struggling amidst plant matter that had gathered in the center of the creature. The King slime had stalled for now, seemingly poking around the immediate area now that its aggressor had been dealt with.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Rhea watched in horror as Sanz was pulled down by several slimes. At first, she ran over to go help him, but the large thud of the approaching king slime had her unsteady and falling down on her knees. She looked up again to see that the slime king had landed on Sanz and was absorbing him into it. Rhea screamed, unsure what to do mostly.

Oh shit, Sanz was eaten! "I told myself I was going to leave his ass," Sage mumbled, taking several steps back, holding the stripped scarecrow pole. "I don't have to save him..." This was the same dilemma she felt facing the wolves. Was she going to have to question whether or not she was going to save or even get involved at all every time the danger got worse and worse?

"You're the only thing I have left that I know I'm not insane." Sage said before running forward. "Rhea! Run!" Sage yelled at the girl. Sage ran right up to the side of the king slime and stabbed it with the pole, trying to reach in enough to get Sanz out, "Grab it Sanz! Grab the pole! I'll pull you out."

• Love
Sanz was still struggling within the King Slime... but not nearly as much. His limbs felt heavy and lethargic. The screaming pain all along his skin was now being matched by the burning in his lungs, calling for air that they desperately needed. Amidst the plant matter, his hand brushed up against something harder, something round. Was that... the core? It was right there, in reach--and yet his hand couldn't even grasp around the damn thing.

This was it. This was how he would die. Not in some back-alley, not with a knife in his gut, not after being shot... but inside the center of a truck-sized living jello monster. Not what he had imagined.

*poke*
What?
*poke* *poke*

Something was prodding into Sanz's left side, something hard and thin. He managed to get slog his left hand on top of whatever it was. Something round and thin... a pole of some kind? The man dared to open one eye, and was immediately met with the same stinging sensation there as was all over his body. Yet... he could still make out vague shapes. And it was indeed a pole, leading to a shadowy figure. Sound was muffled, but he could swear that Sage was shouting. Was that him outside?

Acting perhaps just on survival instinct, Sanz started to clamber, hand over hand, down the pole and towards the skin of the slime. He wasn't dead. Not yet.

Outside, the king slime was none to happy at its new offender, and immediately rolled over Sage as well. Multiple pseudopods lashed around Sage before he was also brought into the fold of the creature, complete with the scarecrow pole.

• Nice Execution!
Sage gasped, taking in one last breath before the slime rolled over her. She didn't know it was her last breath till she opened her mouth and nearly consumed some of the iky gel. Sage opened her eyes and she was immediately meet with stinging on her eyes. Her precious exposed organ. This was it, this was how she was going to die. Why didn't she leave Sanz to die? She could have saved herself! Why wasn't she a terrible person like she pretended to be!?!

Though a bit of rolling, Sage found herself crashing into Sanz inside the jell. She was startled at first but realized it was him by his image. Was he dead? Sage pulled up the stick, the only thing left in her hand, her scythe dropped somewhere. Maybe she could push Sanz out of the slime-- or herself form him. Whoever budge first she supposed.

Rhea, on the other hand, was half crying as she ran across the fields, slime king chasing her. She was trying to think of a way to help them, but was a little unsure of what her underskilled self could really do! She needed her brother!

• Haha
Sanz found his crawl towards life halted when something slammed into him. Something roughly his size, and also with limbs. He dared open one eye again. It was Sage. Sage was now inside the damn slime as well. So much for getting out that way.

Hold on

The pole had been dragged in as well. One end was sharp... and it happened to be within arm's reach. Sanz's lung were screaming at him to find some source of air, literally any source, so it was all he could do to grab the one end of the pole and drive it into the core.

Or at least that was what he attempted. He did manage to grab the pole, but his strength was gone. All he could do was move the pole to the edge of the core and lightly push it against the skin. He kept doing that, over and over, as if repeating the action would change the outcome. Maybe if Sage could help--

Sanz reached out and grabbed Sage, pulling as hard as he could (which wasn't very) while continuing to push the pole against the core. He just needed to--
And then his body tried to gasp. He was so desperate for air at this point that he could no longer fight the instinct to take in a new breath. His eyes started to black out, and his movements stopped.

• Love
Sage looked up at Sanz when he pulled the pole to the core. The core! That's what they had been doing, but now they were those close to it. Sanz was weakly poking the core, they were both heavily impeded by the slime itself. Sage was running out of breath already, she couldn't image what Sanz was feeling right now. She could feel the slime dissolving her skin on her face and arms.

Sage, with much urgency when to thrust the pointy end of the pole with Sanz's help into the core. With both of them combined, the stick pierced the tinny solid part. Sage could only hope that they were going to kill it and it would blow up and give them the air she was craving.

Rhea was debating to run back to the town for help. Even though this slime was more acidic than the smaller ones, it would take hours on hours for Sage and Sanz to get dissolved. Though, Rhea noticed the slime had stopped rolling about and she stopped too, turning to look where the large boss creature had left off.

• Love
For several seconds, the king slime didn't move. Then it just... deflated. The skin holding it together broke, and everything inside ended up in a puddle of slime-ooze. At the same time, all the little slimes that had been chomping their way through crops scattered. For about a minute, they rolled out in all directions, heading to the woods or into the nearby stream. And then they were gone.

Sanz did not notice any of this. For a minute he just laid still on his side. Too still. But just when it looked like he might actually have crossed to the other side--
"Grluck!"

The man wretched before hacking and coughing up chunks of the slime that had entered his system, all the while gasping for air. He could only muster the strength to push himself up on his forearms, just enough that he wasn't drowning in the puddle of slime-goo. His head wasn't really visible, hidden beneath a mantle of long red hair that was now drenched and flopped over everything.
"We're alive?"
Sanz looked over to Sage, visually confirming that yes, he was not in fact dead. A small left left the man's lips before he rolled onto his back, one arm covering his eyes
"Holy shit we're not dead. Heh... Oh god everything hurts."

• Nice Execution!