Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, Sci fi, anything in which the world itelf is extremely interesting.
Magic, what's a fantasy setting without it?

Hello, and thank you for checking this out. I've been holding onto a system of magic I've been developing for some while now, and perhaps you've seen or played less advanced forms in my previous RPs. This is the latest and most in depth version, and I'm itching to use it in an RP. Unfortunately, I'm stumped on a plot to use it in, so I'm gonna have to ask for lots of ideas from potential players, and ideally, we'd come up with a nice plot and make one heck of an RP.

So, here's the system, it's a bit of a wall of text.

*If you have questions about the system, do not hesitate to ask, I want this to be as informative as possible.*

The Magical Arts

A World on Two Levels;
The First step to understanding the intricacies of Magic in this setting, is to imagine a world that operates on two levels, consisting of the Material World, and the Spirit World, which are constantly in a state of interaction with each other.
Material World;
The Material world is the perceived world, the plane seen by the untrained eye, and consists of nonliving and living things, with fleeting intrusion by elements from the spirit world.
Spirit World;
The Spirit World is the unperceived world, a strange plane that mirrors our own, and consists of simple magical energy and spirits, with isolated amounts of physical matter.
Otherworlds:
The worlds as we know them are not limited to the Material and Immaterial, there are few that, while their actual location is debatable, can be described as amalgamations between the Physical and Spirit worlds. They appear as the Physical world at a glance, but with features, phenomena, and sheer magical presence that is near impossible to find in the true world.
Spirits;
Spirits are the sentient energy beings that inhabit the spirit world. Energy becomes spirit when it sufficiently acts upon the Material World, and the more effect a Spirit has on the Material World, the more powerful it becomes. An easy way for many spirits to become powerful is for their power to be used by a Mage. Spirits of sufficient power have the ability to manifest in the material world through a body constructed of ectoplasm, weaker spirits will not survive having this body destroyed, stronger ones will survive but be weakened. Very strong spirits will not have physical bodies that can be destroyed by normal means. Most spirits can be permanently destroyed by putting their ectoplasm body through certain ritualistic deaths.
Mortals;
Mortals exist on both planes of existence. Their physical bodies inhabit the Material World, while their Souls inhabit the Spirit World. The blood of a Mortal exists on both planes at once. Due to this, spilt blood can attract certain Dark Spirits, which induce negative emotions and disease through their preying upon Mortal blood. At their most current state of being, Mortals cannot survive for long without existing on both planes of existence. Therefore, destruction of the soul will cause instant unconscious then rapid deterioration of the body until death.
A Warning on Magic;
Magic is dangerous. All who use magic with the *possible* exception of Thaumaturges risk their life, limb, sanity, and very soul by using magic. To picture the dangerous effects of widespread magic, see the risks experienced by the various magic users, and understand that these risks are the fates of the vast majority of said users. Magic in any form should not be taken lightly, and it is often only the foolish, desperate, or insane who seek to harness the power of magic. Humans in particular, with their short lifespans, enticing souls, and weak connection to the Spirit World, are at risk.

Mages/Magi;
As Mortals exist on both planes at once, there are a select few who are able to tap into the Spirit world to use for themselves. These individuals are called Mages. There are two recognized classifications of Mages, and in turn, both classifications have three recognized classes. The first are the Acolytes, and the second are the Magicians.
Acolytes;
Thaumaturge; Those who dedicate themselves with certain Gods, and have a great deal of unshakable faith, may find themselves granted powers by the Gods to use in their name. However, they must not waver from their Faith or the teachings of the Gods
Druid/Druidess; Those who align themselves with Primal Gods and the fair folk may find themselves granted great power, however, this power is as fickle and unpredictable as those who granted it themselves.
Warlock/Witch; Those who form a soul-binding pact with a Demon or Dark Spirit will be able to wield that Spirit’s power in it’s unholy name. However, their soul is forfeit, and at any time, the Spirit may be compelled to take its payment, devouring their soul and possibly possessing their body.
Magicians;
Psychic; Some mortals are, seemingly at random, born with an extraordinarily powerful soul. Using their soul’s energy, they can use magic. This comes at the risk of attracting opportunistic Dark Spirits, or draining their Soul of all it’s energy.
Wizard/Wizardess; Some mortals are, due to a magical bloodline, born with an inherently magical body. Using their body’s power, they can use magic. This can come at the cost of exhaustion and in bad cases, physical harm, in the worst cases, a complete loss of control over the Magic.
Sorcerer/Sorceress; Some mortals possess a mind strong enough, that they can learn to perceive and manipulate magic. By tapping into the spirit world, they can use magic. This can cause mental strain, and in bad scenarios, can cause madness.

Further Notes;
Multi-Classing: An individual may simultaneously be a class from both Magician and Acolyte Classifications. However, they can not be more than one from any Classification, due to logical constraints. For example, the Gods do not appreciate Druids and Warlocks. Demons do not appreciate Druids and Thaumaturges. If you are a Psychic or a Wizard, being a Sorcerer would be a waste of time and sanity. If you are a Wizard, your soul is not quite a Mortal Soul, and thus not powerful enough to be a Psychic
Catalysts: In order to use a spell more efficiently, a Mage may use a wand, staff, or other object infused with abnormal amounts of Azoth to act as a point from which a spell is cast. For the most part, these serve only a mechanical purpose, making it slightly safer to cast more volatile spells.
Spell Words: Some spells may have certain words associated with them. Uttering these words as the spell is cast can make it more stable.
Mana: Mana is a term used to represent the level of power a mage can exert over the spirit world without harm to him or herself.
Applications of Magic:
There are six ways in which Magic, after being acquired, can be used.
Casting: Direct use of Magical force in the Material World.
Ex; You outstretch your hand and cast a stream of flame.
Enchanting: Assigning Magical properties to an object.
Ex; You enchant a blade to glow.
Advanced Enchanting can be used to give life to a construct, which is then called a Golem.
Summoning: Materializing magical energy or spirits through ectoplasm.
Ex; You open a portal to the Spirit World, and out steps a monster.
Advanced summoning can permanently conjure a bound spirit, or a Familiar.
Communication: The transport of objects or information through the Spirit World.
Ex; You open a portal to the Spirit World, and step in, stepping out at another location.
Transmutation: Changing the properties of the material world.
Ex; You turn a mouse into a frog.
Alchemy: Utilizing magic and Azoth as found in the natural world.
Ex; You mix the oils of magical plants to make a potion.
Advanced Alchemy can also be used to create living creatures, known as Homunculi.

Alchemical World-
All matter, in some part, houses some connection with the Spirit World, thus allowing the practice of Alchemy and various rituals.
Fire- Symbolized by the Alchemical Salamander- Counter to Water- Volatile
Water- Symbolized by the Alchemical Undine- Counter to Fire- Stable
Earth- Symbolized by the Alchemical Gnome- Counter to Air- Stable
Air- Symbolized by the Alchemical Sylph- Counter to Earth- Volatile
Salt- Extremely Stable, nullifies magic.
Sulphur- Extremely Volatile, empowers magic.
Mercury- Bridge Between Volatile and Stable, increases magical accuracy.
Quintessence- Perfect combination of Elements.
Azoth- Latent magical energy in nearly all things.
Ectoplasm- Equal parts Magic and Matter. Extremely Azoth saturated.
Philosopher’s Stone- Highly magical crystal object. Increases levels of Azoth in objects and individuals in proximity.
The Moon- Different phases and colors of the moon hold sway over certain magical properties, and can be taken advantage of to prepare spells more efficiently.
Silver- Purifying effect
Iron- Nullifying effect
Magic Circles- The starting point from which a ritual is created.
Candles/Incense- Help to form magical auras. May also help set the mage’s mood.
Blood- Very powerful base for darker spells. Mortal blood is stronger than animal blood.

Magical Constructs-
Homunculi-
A Homunculus is a creature that has been given life and grown through Alchemical means.
Golems/Automaton-
A golem or automaton is a construct that has been granted life through the inscribing of various runes and then possession by a spirit. Automatons and Golems differ in that an Automaton is fully able to articulate before given life, it merely requires magic for movement.
Familiars-
A spirit with a body constructed of ectoplasm for a prolonged or even permanent presence in the material world, normally bound to the mage that summoned it.

Spirits-
Angels-
Benevolent Spirits created by a God
Light Spirits-
Benevolent Spirits not created by a God
Fair Folk-
Spirits of nature and mischief, gain power through meddling with mortals.
Elementals-
Spirits that gain power through their respective element.
Demons-
Malevolent Spirits created by a God
Dark Spirits-
Malevolent Spirits not created by a God
Ghosts-
Unrested Mortal Souls
Wisps-
Neutral Spirits that manifest in Azoth-Saturated areas.
Gods-
Spirits of an extremely high level of power.

This is an extremely nice list! I would love to give my ideas on a plot, but as I've had a busy day, I need to sleep. As of now, I think that this would be a very good magic system for a 1X1 RP, and I have one or two characters in mind that I'll need your opinion on.

Status
Not open for further replies.