Some times you gotta go back to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nitro

Original poster
I was listening to my music when a certain song by Johnny Cash came on. It reminded me of what this country is.
[Media]
And another by Merle Haggard.
[Media]
Now just think about what they say. Both talk about the good old days when you could walk down the street and not have to worry about being shot at. Now we just need to get back to those times.

There was a time when people didn't have to worry about being shot at? o_o

Are we talking before the invention of gunpowder?

*takes an arrow to the knee*

Aaaargh!

Yes, I miss the Old America, when there were just roving vikings and neither they nor the In'juns had figured out how to craft arrowheads.

I don't know if you're being serious or not.

You're seventeen, guy, you weren't even a thought in your father's head when the "good times" you're talking about were around.

Things aren't any different here than they were about 200 years ago. Leading cause of death is still bear mauling.

You're seventeen, guy, you weren't even a thought in your father's head when the "good times" you're talking about were around.
You werent either. But I know more about it than you cause I still do manual labor, outside. I have horses and ride them, its much more relaxing.

I'm not talking before guns, I'm talking like in the 50's through the 80's when you got shot cause you pissed someone off, not for no reason at all.

Love the assumptions being made.

We still have to worry about discrimination, and authority figures using their power over people. We still worry about person to person violent crime, theft, and drugs. We still have to worry about gangs and riots. We still have to worry about our children and the elderly. We still have to worry about soldiers being mistreated when returning from war, and the homeless being overlooked as someone else's problem.

Only thing I really see that's changed is we have more connections with each other, we want things more quickly and conveniently, and we rally behind dumb stuff as a bigger group.

Oh also, I love doing manual labor. Outside. And I once punched a horse (that's not even a joke.). In case you wanted to throw that around again.

e286f9d7ecf6f571b4a58215a2170a80.jpg

You werent either. But I know more about it than you cause I still do manual labor, outside. I have horses and ride them, its much more relaxing.

I'm not talking before guns, I'm talking like in the 50's through the 80's when you got shot cause you pissed someone off, not for no reason at all.
Oh, you. Well, for those of us who aren't basing their worldview through rose-tinted goggles and classic country(which I do like, btw, no hate) not only do we still have to contend with breaches of Civil Rights and what have you, but the federal gov't's relation to the citizen is at an all-time low. You still have some growing up to do, so I don't fault you for having such a close-minded view of society both pre and post-2000. Also, you still could be shot for no reason at all. In 1966, former US Marine Charles Whitman shot and killed 16 people, making that the earliest mass shooting that I know of. Life was shitty then and it's only marginally less shitty now.

And you want us to go back to anywhere in the 50's through the 80's? That was the worst time regarding Civil Rights for your fellow US citizens, if you are from the US. Jim Crow laws and racially motivated lynchings, gays were openly persecuted and the mere mention of someone maybe being Communist was enough to have them excommunicated, shunned, maybe beat in some areas, and McCarthyism was rampaging through our gov't. Add to that, that veterans coming back from Viet Nam in the 60's were spit on, ridiculed and otherwise assaulted. Move forward to the 70s and the 80s and you have a surge of cocaine moving in from Columbia and ravaging many lower-class neighborhoods as well as the formation of the two most infamous street gangs, the Bloods and the Crips.

• Love
Reactions: LunaValentine
You mean not that long after killing 6 million people for their race?
Oh and this was also when America put people in work camps for their race too.
You mean right when gangs like the Crips and Bloods were being created?
Not the mention school shootings that were still happening.
You mean when Serial Killers were still a thing?
You mean when Martin Luther King was killed for fighting for equal rights?
(And if you dare defend this with "Well he pissed people off and there was a reason", then I have no idea what your definition of 'Good' is if you consider murder for wanting to be treated as a human being to be an acceptable reason).

Last edited:
Reactions: LunaValentine
Status
Not open for further replies.