Some Things That Just Need to Stop.

Those goddamned "5 Things You Didn't Know About..." articles. Especially the ones that don't load as one page, but as five different pages you have to scroll through as they load for goddamned ever because of the ads on every border.
That is certainly not journalism.
It's not even blogging.
It is sumbitchery. >_<
Bonus round: every time the article title claims its contents will shock me. Stupid sensationalist clickbait.
It's all due to how ad revenue works. Even legitimate news sites run sensationalized clickbait and shitty things spread out into multiple pages. Why? Page views. Ad revenue works based off of page views, so if you can get five of them per person off of one shill piece that's a pretty good return for your work. You can get well over many times the total page views on some overblown shlock compared to a reasonable and well researched article even without the multiple pages nonsense, because people click to see what's so shocking and they'll also share it around the internet if they actually do find it surprising, which rakes in unique page views (which is also a metric used for some ad revenue systems). What's more, writing the "# Things..." and other garbage articles takes far less time and effort than doing all the work to make something high quality, so that further increases how much profit the site is making. This means that shitbag sites can rake in a decent amount of money for writing heaps of garbage that people are drawn toward in the same inexorable way that they're drawn to tabloids and train wrecks.

However, for the less sleazy sites, the bits of sleaze they dip into ends up funding the good articles they put out. If a writer spends a day making let's say 5 clickbait garbage articles, he or she could justify spending a week doing actual research and such to make a great article because he would have paid for those days many times over through ad revenue the shit will draw (in this way, ad revenue is similar to flies). If they were to just want to spend the week writing the good article without the sleaze, then they're asking for a week worth of pay to write a single article. That's just not great business, especially for smaller operations, because if the article isn't a hit then it might not even bring in enough ad money to pay for that week of wages.

So it sucks, sure, but it's a necessary evil in the current system of how news sites can make money on the internet. Without it you'd just have a bunch dead news websites with maybe a couple that are attached to physical newspapers and magazines still chugging along.

@Jorick , I am fully aware how revenue for many websites are generated by page views. :) I personally am a lot less likely to click a link if it's worded in a way that's meant to evoke a reaction with all those lovely buzzwords. I also avoid products and stores based entirely on their awful advertising campaigns. Great part about living in Capitalist land is you often have a lot of alternative choices!

People should stop trying so hard to find something to be offended by in everything...like what's the point, if you don't feel offended then likely no one really offended you (there are exceptions)

Reactions: Minibit
Ignorance.
There's no reason in this day and age for someone to be ignorant of anything when the entirety of human history and pretty much every single idea ever thought is within a few finger taps reach.

Quit being stupid.

Love, The Universe.

• Love
Reactions: Minibit
Ignorance.
There's no reason in this day and age for someone to be ignorant of anything when the entirety of human history and pretty much every single idea ever thought is within a few finger taps reach.

Quit being stupid.

Love, The Universe.
Dear [Insert Name],

The Universe is incapable of sending or understanding linguistics-based messaging systems, or really any kind of messaging system, due to being incapable of intelligent thought. You would of course know this if you just went a few finger taps further.

Also, for many topics, there is no clear answer, only differing versions of "the truth", especially where it relates to politics, religion, and even history. After all, history is merely the human account of things, in which bias can and does crop up repeatedly.

Stop judging people for not knowing things. If I stuck you in the biggest library in the world that doesn't mean you instantly are capable of even knowing how to browse that information, let alone knowing which pieces of information are true and which are false, and retaining all of that information as knowledge.

Love, Borov.

PS: If you use a letter format response, you need a "dear [example]", and there should be 3-5 point spacing between addressing the [title], and leaving your own [title].

Stop fighting you guys

You're tearing this family apart

@Brovo

I will if you call me Chief.

Reactions: Brovo
How did that one phrase go? "If you throw a stone into a pack of dogs, the one that is struck will yelp." Food for thought.

Back on topic.

Another thing that really needs to stop are these overly-enthusiastic sports fans who wind up setting fires, destroying things, and shooting/stabbing people after any major game. World Series, World Cup, Superbowl, whatever. A game, regardless of the sport, is not any reason to start a riot. Hell, for college football, you have far too many people who get riled up over what is essentially an extracurricular activity for the college kids. Folks need to calm down.

I recently learned that around Halloween, people will seek out or adopt black cats just to kill them.

That really needs to fucking stop.

Reactions: Kylulu and Astaroth