3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Recently, I've been reading the books No Easy Day and No Hero by Mark Owen. Owen is a retired Navy Special Warfare Development Group (SEAL Team Six) operator. The marquee of No Easy Day is the raid on Osama Bin Laden's compound, where Owen claims to have witnessed his death.

Throughout both these books, I noticed two distinct pieces of advice he gives the reader, based on his experiances.

"How do you eat an elephant?"
"One bite at a time, one meal at a time"
This is the philosophy that got Owen through BUD/S, Navy SEAL basic training. Basically imagine the hardest training regimen imagineable, multiply it by a hundred, and you have BUD/S. Like life, if you focus on the whole thing, you'll crack. From bottom up, it certainly looks daunting. Having to go into work most days, for years, to accomplish what you want in life. If you focus on the magnitude of it, you'll lose. Instead, "Just get to breakfast, focus to lunch, power through to dinner." Another meal, another step closer, another bite out of the elephant.

"Five foot world"
Imagine you are rock climbing, about halfway to the top. You start looking around. Looking up, you're figuring how far you have left to go. Looking down is calculating how far you can fall. Looking out at the horizon won't help you either, because that cannot help you. Around you, in a roughly five foot radius, is where you can reach and impact. A handhole here, a foothold there. Focus on that, and you'll be at the top before you know it. Worrying about things outside those five feet is wasted energy, as you can't affect them.

I've embraced both of these in my life, and I find that it's helped cut down on my stress and make me more task oriented. I wanted to reccomend it to anyone else who may be struggling, to see if it would help.

I like this.

Thank you for posting.

"Five foot world"
Imagine you are rock climbing, about halfway to the top. You start looking around. Looking up, you're figuring how far you have left to go. Looking down is calculating how far you can fall. Looking out at the horizon won't help you either, because that cannot help you. Around you, in a roughly five foot radius, is where you can reach and impact. A handhole here, a foothold there. Focus on that, and you'll be at the top before you know it. Worrying about things outside those five feet is wasted energy, as you can't affect them.
Rock climbing being one of my hobbys, I agree completly. But the same applys to anything you do. Singular focus on the task at hand. Nothing outsyde that circle maters; its a waste of time and atention, and vorse, it makes the task itself 10 times harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.