Solitude's End

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Just anything I can find," Feng replied as he searched in the fridge. "There are usually left-overs from the previous day, or if not, I'll just have snacks." He opened a little box of Chinese takeout that he found in the fridge. Chicken and rice. He placed it in the microwave and left it to heat while he made a sandwich. "You're a dragon, I guess you have to eat meat? You can have the chicken, and I'll eat the rice. If you want, I can make you a sandwich too."

"Yeah, I eat meat. Chicken, that sounds delicious." Tynebris says, looking at Feng. "Sandwich?" the dragon adds, tilting his head. "I never heard of sandwich." Tynebris tells.

Feng poured out the pathetic bits of chicken into a plate and pushed it over to the dragon. "Here, it's not much, but make do for now." He eyed the remaining bits of the Chinese takeout, which was just rice and sauce that had, by now, taken the shape of the box it was in. It looked terribly unappetizing.

"A sandwich is a couple slices of bread with things in between," Feng explained, trying to keep it as simple as possible for the dragon to understand. "Could be meat, or vegetables, or anything really." He took a bite of the rice and made a face. "You know what, I really don't wanna eat this right now. Let's go out and buy something."

Tynebris ate the bits of chicken almost in an instant, barely chewing on it and just swallowing it down. "Fresh food tastes better." the dragon says shortly after he was done. "But it sure is better than nothing." Tynebris adds. "Oh, that sounds interesting, a sandwich with meat." the dragon says curiously, his attention clearly on the meat.

"Sure, I don't mind, I'm still a bit hungry." the dragon says in a happy tone, not aware of buying isn't hunting. Though not even after a second the dragon tilts its head. "But where do you buy food? I never saw anyone in the wilderness sell anything."

Feng smiled as he hopped off the chair and proceeded to clean away the uneaten food. "It's not in the wilderness. We buy food in the supermarket. I'll show you."

Once he was done, the boy went upstairs to grab his backpack and some money, and left for the supermarket. It was the same route as the previous time when they were rushing over to the vet's. Feng walked at a leisurely pace this time. It was a completely different feeling than before. It was a short walk, and the boy took the opportunity to ask the dragon questions that had invaded his mind over the time he was in school.

"Are there other creatures in the forest? I've... never seen any other than some birds and squirrels. Really, if I had known there were dangerous creatures in there, I wouldn't have walked through it that many times."

"There aren't many dangerous creatures in the forest. I was unlucky to fight against one, it's a rare occasion, though not as rare as a dragon as myself." Tynebris answers Feng's question. "This place looks familiar, were we here yesterday? Because I never was that far in a town like yesterday and today." the dragon asks curiously, not knowing that this is in fact the same route like yesterday.

Feng thought himself real lucky to not have encountered a wolf on his way home.

He nodded at Tynebris. "We were. I stole the trolley from here," he pointed at the rows of shopping trolleys, then added, "Borrowed. I did give it back." He chuckled and led the way into the supermarket. On the rare occasion that he bothered to go outside and buy himself something to eat instead of having whatever disgusting leftovers there were in the house, he would head to the junk food section and load up on chips and ice-cream. Things he didn't need to prepare in order to eat.

Feng was aware now that Tynebris wouldn't appreciate chips. "Let's go to the meat section. You can tell me what you prefer."

"Meat section? Everything here is in sections?" Tynebris asks confused, never have seen this concept ever before. "I basically everything that is meat. I didn't choose what I eat in the wilderness, I only ate what I was able to get." Tynebris adds.

As they arrived at the meat section Tynebris got up onto his hindlegs - supporting himself with his tail so that he doesn't fall over - so that he can look at the meat. "I usually eat birds, they are slow and are quite satisfying." the dragon says, standing on his hindlegs and isn't even as tall as Feng.

"Yeah, there are sections. Like dry food, and ice-cream, and non-food stuff," Feng said as he pointed to each one. He looked at the dragon, amused at how it was standing on its hindlegs.

"I guess we could get you a roasted chicken," Feng dug his money out of his pocket and counted. It wasn't enough to buy a whole chicken, buy enough to get half a chicken and some snacks for himself. He pointed at the half-chicken and received it from the guy behind the counter, then waved it in front of Tynebris. "Hope this is good enough for you. I'm gonna go get myself some chips," he said, heading toward his favourite section.

Tynebris just stares at the half chicken being waved infront of him. He even licks his teeth with his tongue and is about to snap at it as Feng suddenly went to his favorite section. "Not so fast!" the dragon yells, walking with a ridicilous slow speed after Feng. "I can't walk so fast like you!" Tynebris yells again, still walking on his hindlegs and using his tail to stabilize his balance.

It doesn't take long till Tynebris almost falls onto his back, he managed to grab onto something before he were to fall down. "Feng, how do you manage to walk so fast on your hindlegs?" the dragon asks confused as he gets back down onto his four legs and follows Feng's scent to find him again.

Feng turned around briefly, saw the dragon trying to walk on its hind legs, and burst out laughing at the hilarious sight. He stopped at the junk food section and waited for the dragon to catch up with him, while browsing the shelves for something that would make full use of his budget.

"Tynebris, I really don't think you're meant to walk on your hindlegs," Feng said with a snigger, although he tried to sound as sympathetic as he could. "Just like how humans aren't meant to fly."

He grabbed two bags of chips which had a large "Two for the price of one!" sign in front of them, and headed over to the cashier. Thankfully, they didn't have to stand in queue for too long, which meant his company with the dragon didn't catch the attention of too many people. He was proud to have Tynebris by his side, but he didn't quite like being the centre of attention, shying away from all the staring eyes. Already, he had heard one or two kids express envy.

It didn't last long till Tynebris found Feng again. "But why can I walk on my hindlegs, not as fast as you though." the dragon asks looking at Feng grab two bags of chips. "What is in those bags?" Tynebris asks, curious of what Feng is taking.

Tynebris follows Feng on his four legs, so that he doesn't need to catch up again. "Did you pay a lot?" the dragon asks once again, curios of learning how the system works. "Those coins looked shiny, why would you give them away?"

"Calm down little dragon, I'll answer your questions one by one," Feng replied patiently, as he held the bags of their purchases in one hand.

"About walking on your hindlegs, your body wasn't made to balance that way. And as for what's in the bags?" He paused then and took out the half-chicken from one of the bags, then handed it to Tynebris. "Here you go! And no, it didn't cost much, but it's still a significant amount of my allowance anyway. Good thing I have savings. Humans don't hunt for food, we buy them from the people who sell them and we have to give them money in exchange for it."

Feng stood over Tynebris, watching him eat, then looked up.

"Oh no," he blurted, as he recognised the familiar frame of his tormentors at school.

Tynebris immediately started eating his food as Feng gave him the meat. While eating Tynebris remained silent, until Feng said "Oh no". The dragon stops eating immediately and looks into the same direction as Feng does. Tynebris stretches his wings, gets up onto his hindlegs and starts growling, somewhat feeling that something bad is nearby, or something that Feng doesn't like.

The boys ahead were pointing at Feng and Tynebris, laughing, mocking. Feng knew his face was turning red, from anger or shame, or both. They had given him shit at school, but at least they had the mercy to do it away from the sight of others. Probably it was so that they would avoid being caught in the act, but nonetheless Feng was grateful at the fact that no one else had to witness the stupid things they had done to him.

Right now, with the dragon as a witness, Feng felt worse than he ever had. Tynebris would soon know all the names they called him, the embarrassing things they made him do...

Feng turned left and tried to make a detour around the trolleys left outside, in a feeble attempt to avoid them. There was no doing so, obviously; the boys were already yelling at him and the dragon.

"Oy, shitlick, you got a little pet huh? Probably doesn't bark or bite, just like its owner." A pudgy boy who looked very much like a pig smirked as he approached. Feng wasn't too worried about him, he usually just stood aside and let people do the job while he yelled names and rude words. Fatboy walked right up to Tynebris and stuck out his hand to touch the dragon on the snout.

As the others started calling Feng names Tynebris starts to growl louder, trying to protect Feng. The dragon steps infront of Feng and stretches his wings even more, getting up on his hindlegs. "Leave him alone." Tynebris growls as he opens his mouth, revealing his sharp teeth.

As the fatboy approaches Tynebris, the dragon doesn't give any reaction but growls even more. "Didn't I say leave him alone?" the dragon yells as the fatboy tries to touch Tynebris' snout.Tynebris snaps and aims to bite bite at the approaching arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.