Solitude's End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feng raised his hand and gingerly placed it on Tynebris' paw.

"Haven't you had any friends that are more like... you?" he asked. "Wait... How old are you, anyway?"

"No, I haven't found any other dragon." the dragon replies to the first question. "As far as I know ..." Tynebris starts and then thinks. Suddenly the dragon starts barely scratch the floor to help him count how old he is. After some seconds he looks back at Feng. "I think I am 5, but I'll get older." Tynebris replies. "And much bigger than now." he adds whispering. "How old are you, friend?" Tynebris asks, hesitating with the word friend.

Feng smiles as he hears the dragon address him as a friend. It had been a while since someone was willing to regard him as one.

"I'm 13. And I hope to get bigger as well."

The boy rolled over on his stomach and stared at the dragon.

"Tell me about dragons, Tynebris."

Tynebris looks at Feng and tilts his head as the boy asked him about dragons. "I don't know where to start. We can fly, well, unless our wings are hurt." he replies. "I prefer a cave, but I gotta admit, this place is way more comfortable than a rock floor." Tynebris continues.

"I lived in the wilds for quite some time, most of the time alone. I don't know at what age my parents abandoned me, nor do I know for what reason" the dragons says in a quite tone. "What about you?" Tynebris asks in a bit happier tone.

Feng looked at the dragon's wings and felt sad to see them injured. He wondered how high he would ever see the dragon fly. At the dragon's comment about his room, he grinned. The boy took pride in the only place in his house - no, his life - he had autonomy over.

"Yeah. It's pretty awesome in here isn't it? Everything in here is mine, and only mine. That's what I like best about it."

He lay his head down on his hands again as the dragon continued his story, then expressed some shock when the dragon said he was abandoned. He played with the thought for a while, then replied in a murmur, as though unsure if he should be spouting such words.

"I wish I were abandoned. My parents used to fight all the time and I get caught in the crossfire. Now my dad hardly comes home and my mom loves giving me hell. Sometimes I think it's because my existence reminds her that she has anything to do with my dad. I spent most of my life alone, too."

"Sorry to hear that. You don't want to be abandoned; you'd need to do everything yourself. Fighting for food, surviving taking care of yourself. If you hadn't took care of me back then, then I might have died." The dragon says, trying to bring Feng to high spirit.

"You should be happy that you know your parents, I barely got the time to know them before I was abandoned." Tynebris says in a sad tone. "I had to learn everything fast and on my own, no one to help me when I make a mistake."

Without consciously realizing it, Feng gently stroked a finger across the dragon's wings.

"Sometimes you learn more that way." He looked at his own arm, which now had a long scratch scabbed over from the struggle with Tynebris earlier in the day. "Like me, I learnt not to go near an injured dragon," he added jokingly.

Feng yawned. The stroking of his finger slowed, and eventually stopped. Light snores could be heard from the boy.

"But didn't you help me before?" Tynebris asks, confused by Feng's statement and even tilting his head a bit. However, Tynebris didn't notice Feng fall asleep. "Why did you stop stroking me?" the dragon said as he stopped purring.

At first the dragon doesn't notice the snoring, but after a short time Tynebris eventually notices. "Feng, what is that strange noise?" the dragon hisses cautiously, not knowning that it is coming from Feng.

It had been an emotional roller-coaster of a day, and Feng was exhausted. He didn't even stir as the dragon spoke to him. Somewhere in his dreams, he was flying through the sky atop a magnificent beast of gleaming black scales and stunning red eyes.

Tynebris remains silent, trying to find out from where the snoring is coming. After a brief silent the dragon noticed it came from Feng. "Looks like he fell alseep." Tynebris whispers to himself.

The dragon starts looking around, searching for a nice little, eventuelly dark too, spot to sleep. After a short search the dragon decides to sleep under Feng's bed.

The hours passed peacefully while the boy and his dragon rested, and dark gradually turned to light. In his exhaustion the previous night, Feng had forgotten to set an alarm to wake him up for school. As the sun's early rays fell through his window and brightened up his room, he stirred, then jumped up in sudden realization that he was late. He dashed off for a quick shower and rummaged through his room for his backpack. He found it lying half-under his bed, with dirt stains all over.

"Tynebris," he whispered, not calling for the dragon, but remembering and realizing that yesterday's events had been as real as ever and he had not dreamt it all.

Tynebris, who fell asleep under the bed, woke up as Feng whispered his name - as if the dragon woke up on name. However, Tynebris yawns quietly and stretches his wings while doing so, but remains under the bed and even curls up a bit tighter.

Feng was torn between looking for the dragon and leaving for school, which he was already late for. He took a brief look around his room. Nothing. Thinking that the dragon had already gone, he let out a dejected sigh and went off.

School was a drag as usual. His teacher and classmates merely glanced at him as he entered the classroom. Feng felt as though he would have welcomed even some mockery. It would mean that, at the very least, some people cared enough to pass a comment about him. His regular tormentors were not in this class. It didn't matter, since they usually waited for him outside, which was why he usually tried to sneak out as early after class as he could.

Feng didn't even try to pay attention. All he could think of was Tynebris and how his life would change for the better. Every now and then, a nagging thought came to mind that he was getting his hopes up for nothing, that he was being naively optimistic. Thing was, Feng was rarely optimistic. His experiences in life so far had only taught him to prepare for the worst. But for some reason, he just had a good feeling about this dragon and this friendship he had forged.

"Hey! Don't forget me!" Tynebris yelled, but obviously too late. The dragon tried to rush after him though wasn't even fast enough to follow Feng out of the house. "I hope he will come back." Tynebris mumbles to himself as he carefully goes back up into Feng's room and crawls then back under the bed, continuing with what he was doing before: resting.

"I don't want to be alone here. Feng's mother is scary." the dragon whispers to himself, shivering a bit. After resting some more the dragon decides to explore the house, so he gets up and carefully starts exploring the house. His curiosity taking over he inspects each single corner in each room he can enter.

Finally, several hours later, Feng escaped unscathed from the hellhole he knew as the school. Slipping through the backdoor once again, he headed out into the forest, taking the route as he had the day before when he had sighted Tynebris. There were still obvious scuffle marks among the fallen leaves, and he smiled when he saw them.

His spirits were dampened as he entered his home, as they always were. It had become some sort of conditioned habit. He would feel this way even if there was nothing happening at home that would make him upset. It had happened too often, for too long, and he would never . He shuffled inside, dragging his feet, slouching, and headed up to his room. There were scratch marks visible on the floor and the door that gave Feng shivers down his back, though whether it was in excitement (that Tynebris was still around) or fear (that his mother would see and he would get into trouble again), he didn't know. Maybe it was both. But at that point, there was only one thing on his mind: to find the dragon.

He dropped his bag in his room and ran around the house, yelling the dragon's name.

The dragon stopped as he heard his name being yelled and immediately stopped exploring. Tynebris started searching for Feng instead. It didn't take long for the dragon to find the boy. "Feng!" Tynebris hisses happily and walks towards him. "Where were you?" the dragon asks, excited to see him again.

"This place is big, so much to see here." the dragon adds. "It is so lonely here when you are gone." Tynebris says, bombarding Feng with questions and sentences.

Feng spun around to see the dragon he was looking for. He dropped to his knees, not sure whether to laugh or cry at the relief that the dragon was still here, and had not caused any trouble. Or had it?

"I was at school. Tynebris... You didn't break anything did you?" He held his hand out to touch the dragon's snout and then got up again quickly to examine the rooms.

"I didn't break anything, atleast I can't remember breaking anything. Though I have been a bit clumsy lately, these things make it a lot difficult for me to stay balanced." the dragon says happily. "This place is gigantic, how do you find your way around here?" Tynebris asks, tilting his head a bit.

Despite the dragon's claims, Feng couldn't help but walk around the house and look briefly around the rooms to ensure that nothing was broken; that nothing would give away that there was a beast in the house. It was probably more likely that his mom would believe a thief had broken in, but that would probably give her more reason to hold Feng responsible for something he couldn't help ("Why weren't you home? If you were home this wouldn't have happened!") and he really didn't want to deal with that.

"It's not that big to me, Tynebris. It probably wouldn't be big to you soon, once you grow bigger," he replied. As his relief subsided, Feng began to feel the lack of lunch. He went down the stairs to the kitchen, stopping mid-way to look at the dragon, beckoning him. "Come, let's get some food. I'm hungry."

"Speaking of that." Tynebris says as his stomache grumbles too and he laughs a bit. "I'm hungry too." the dragon adds as he follows Feng down to the kitchen. "What do you usually eat?" the dragon asks curiously.

Status
Not open for further replies.