Soldiers of Misfortune: Into The OOC Of Oppression

• Thread starter Dawn Bringer Invictus
  • Start date

Which of the following in the IC would you be looking forward to the most?

• Infiltrating an enemy position

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Assaulting a stronghold with marginal numbers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Soldiers of Misfortune

I have questions about FuneBraran phisiology- I don't want to say the wrong thing and spoil your plot twist. They are insectoid bipeds, but they do not have six limbs I am assuming? If you had to compare them to a couple regular old earth bugs (just to give me something to compare them to) what do they kinda look like? And social structure, they aren't hive minded but they are... communal (no breeder queen but they do live in colonies)? And eyes and mouth structure, just general crap a doctor would know- things you have in mind that i'm not free to make up.

Funebrarans all have at least six limbs, but many can walk on two and will often hide two limbs inside their bodies. Some walk almost like centaurs, like the centipede/millipede esque ones and others can actually change their movement mode (mantis-types for example, can shift from four legs to two legs), while others can change their leg formation (bent leg vs straight let) etc. etc.

Funebrarum (general term used for the collective of the Funebraran Nomad Hive Nation) is not just insects; basically all arthropods. Crustaceans, arachnids, insects, myriapods (centipedes and millipedes) and maye a few others. They are not as much a race as they are a collective of various species from those groups, so there isn't really a standardized look to them. In general though, you can say they look somewhere between possessed chaos space marines (WH40K, look them up), xenomorphs, the District 9 prawns, war-obsessed extreme metal fans, and of course, MANY different types of arthropods. This diversity basically allows for you to really design your own Funebrarans at times; what I gave was just what a lot of their army will look like.

I know a lot of you are thinking you can compare them to the zerg, the tyranids, or social insects like ants or wasps, but they are only like that amongst certain species and sub-societies. It's less more like a beehive and more like a large rotting log; many different types of arthropods and they aren't social, but they live together and through their daily activities, they keep the whole thing running. Funebraran society is basically run by a sort of various ranks of increasing importance; various groups that govern each other and the well being of the Nomad Hive Fleet. They are lead by a group of the highest-ups from each of the four hive ships, equalling around 16. Politicians have technology implanted into them that strongly represses their emotions and turns them almost into very cold and rational machines.

Eyes and mouth...can depend. Can also vary; some are partially human (human structure) or human-esque, but even human-like ones can have faces that are somewhat twisted and shaped smoothly like insect heads; sometimes they have over four eyes arranged in a semi-circle over a mouth that seems to compose of various small pincer-like things that can mince food up. Other times it could be a hydralisk-like face with no eyes but rather a xenomorph-like plate-esque structure that hides various eye-organs beneath. Or maybe they have large scimitar like mandibles and multiple mouthparts behind mouthpars, over two leering yellow eyes, like glowing orbs, and between them, a small cluster of three smaller eyes.

You can make things up to a certain extent, but stay within certain aesthetic boundaries unless you want to focus on say, rarer/more unusual/"outer-level" esque Funebrarans.

Name: Irwin Murhpy of House Bannon

Born to be a Dreadguard- The Knights, Samurai, Special Forces, Officers, and political leaders of his homeworld- Irwin has follows his houses rigid code of conduct rather than any sense of morality or compassion, the Host Armor he wears is much like that of any other Dreadguard, massive, frightening, and custom tailored to suit his needs.

Irwin was always a roguish character off the field, a superb gambler with the ability to know when things were about to go sour and slip out before anyone knew he was gone, his house put these skills to use when sending him on assignment, making him an excellent scout in addition to his standard training and demolitions specialty, he's not the best guy to have in a fair fight, but his house finds honor in a cunning victory than foolish, albeit heroic, defeat, unsurprisingly his house focuses on Black-Ops and Covert operations, more than open conflict.

Irwin's host armor doubles his approximate phyical strength, and more than triples his stamina and reflexes in addition to granting him the eyes of an eagle, nose of a bloodhound, and ears of a fox, it's insect like carapace is covered with small defensive horns, and can utilize chameleon like camouflage. he's added extra eyes to the head extending his vision to the lowest infrared and the highest ultraviolet frequencies and a pair off highly sensitive antennae, a centaur like lower body to increase his stability, running speed and jumping height, a pair of spinnerets in the wrists, modified the feet of his armor to adhere to any solid surface, a 16 foot stinger tail much like a scorpion's and a casting cannon built into his shoulder with it's range extended to over a mile.

His host armor looks like an eight foot hybrid between a centaur and a scorpion, with a mostly black carapace that has red highlight and a large bony structure behind his right shoulder that can unfold to over six feet in length.

Outside his armor

in addition to his already formidable armor, he was granted two light cell sub-machine guns, (which fire an ultra intense beam of light that hits about as hard as a heavy assault rifle, plus bypasses laser resistant armors due to it's varied frequencies.) a Bio Rocket slinger, an acid edged long and short sword, as well as standard military gear and demolition equipment.

Pretty good, I like it! Any info about his relation to the others and/or the Funebrarans?

Also, don't be afraid to add me on MSN fellas.

Appearance
dontwannamesswitaninjawitagun.jpg

brb tapping dat

Yeah your character really sticks out, but hey, something pretty to look at instead of us ugly mugs haha.

c__c Well hey, I really like that picture. And I like the idea of some sexy cat lady from another planet or something helping a bunch of ugly people. *Hugs Irae* Thank you so much for the opportunity! 8D Going to try and finish tomorrow~

Yeah that works. Ugliness needs constrasts so we understand the reasons why it is ugly.

*hugs back*

Gonna continue plotting and thinking of stuff to add. And tapping dat.

Name: Taxus
Species: Exzoid
Designation: Linguist and Body Guard

Physical Description: Exzoid's are humanoid in appearance. They have the physical stature of a human. Two arms, two legs a torso and a head. That is where the similarities end though. Exzoids appear to be covered in skin but with a closer look they are actually covered in small chitinous plates. These plates act like solar energy panels to assist in the absorption of energies. There eyes protrude slightly from their sockets and shift colors with their moods. They have no hair.​

Exzoids are extremely fragile creatures. The chitinous plates give them a high resilience to extreme temperatures and provide a great defense from several types of natural hazards. However they are very thin and offer no protection from common weaponry. Their bones are hollow like those of a birds and easily broken. In example, if shot by a .22 caliber bullet there is a high chance that the bullet would be able to pierce all the way through.​

Taxus is 5'3" and weighs 120 lbs. Usually calm, his eyes tend to remain a light gold color to reflect his mood.​

Back Story: Exzoids are very powerful channelers (energy manipulators) mainly due to the way they are born. Exzoids reproduce like amoebas, one exzoid dies to give birth to three. They must find a place where the gathering of energy is extremely strong. There they enter a cocoon like state and the energies give birth to three new exzoids. Energy is the life source of exzoids. They don't eat, sleep or breath. They must regularly pull energy into their being through a meditation process. An exzoid that exerts too much energy will starve like a human who neglects eating or if an exzoid is starved from energy for too long he will suffocate like a human without oxygen.​

Exzoids are born nearly fully grown. Only taking a few days to achieve full maturity. They have a hereditary memory meaning that when they are born they have the general memories of the specific Exzoid before them. There general appearance changes to assist the species in survival. Recently they appear humanoid since that species is currently very numerous in the galaxy. Their appearance is given during the cocoon process.​

Because of their strong pull to the energies of the universe Exzoids are commonly used as body guards. Their strong channeling abilities and humanoid appearance makes them an unsuspected powerful body guard. They are also quite often used as translators. They are able to decipher and fluently speak languages after only a few moments of listening to it. This comes from their strong ties to the energies of the universe and a unique hearing and vocal chords. All sounds are broken down into frequencies. Frequency measure depends upon the species, however, similar frequencies at different pitches are recorded from different species of creatures. Using this method an Exzoid is able to mimic the speech processes of different species.​

Exzoids are a nomadic species similar to the Funebraran. They're a dying race. Each time an exzoid dies without being able to reproduce it is a permanent loss to the race. The cocoons are extremely fragile and are usually destroyed before the process of rebirth is complete.​

Taxus is Arkoss's personal body guard. Arkoss found him recently birth from his cocoon. A predator of the world had found Taxus and his siblings. Arkoss intervened and killed the beast just in time to save Taxus. Since then Taxus has followed Arkoss across the galaxy. He's extremely loyal and willingly throws himself in harms way to protect Arkoss.​

Personality: Generally quiet and preserved. Taxus tends to keep his thoughts to himself, only speaking when the need truly arises. Taxus is the role model for self control. He constantly reigns in his anger and emotions and approaches things with a logical and intellectual approach. On the battle field Taxus is calm, cool and collected. Calculating his moves to use his channeling powers in the best way possible.​

Weaponry and Equipment: Taxus wears a light suit of combat armor to remain highly mobile. Though his weapon of choice is his channeling powers, he carries a channeling whip for close combat and a scoped energy pistol for other targets.​

The channeling whip is created from a silk like wave with crystals inlaid into it that enhances the energies channeled into it. The whip itself is nine feet in length but the energies channeled through it can reach almost twice that length.​

The scoped pistol is an artifact of the Exzoid before Taxus. It fires three shots per pull of the trigger. The concentrated beams of energy it fires is strong enough to rip through most armors. The scope is able to 'paint' a target so a target can marked while looking through the scope than fired at with pin point accuracy.​

He also has a close connection with his parasite, Klo, that enhances his energy manipulation powers and is able to store large amounts of energy. Klo rests on Taxus's back, directly between his shoulder blades.​

Powers: Taxus's powers focus around supporting those around him and direct offensiveness towards his enemies. It ranges from being able to create phantom energy creatures to confuse and attack his enemies, increasing the speed and strength of a target by manipulating their own energies, creating floating energy shields to protect his friends from enemy ballistics and creating rolling electrical surges of destructive energies.​

@Irae: good I have some variety to play with! Now I just have to go brush up on my entomology and look up some stuff on crustations... the things I do for roleplay! I could probably have a degree in something by now if I could just stop hopping. But its so much more fun.

I was gonna tag this rp 'Awesome Plot' but I didn't want to replace the "Needs Players' tag.

But meh, I feel left out of this whole pic business I shall have to go find a picture for Dr. Jones' bio...

@Fluffy: MISTRESS FLUFFY! *flyingtackle* I like Claire, she's adorable!

Sci-fi version of a certain current issue involving the Middle East...?

As an avid bug watcher, I'm greatly interested in this. Working on a bio....

In all honesty, I didn't really intend it to be just like the middle east. Large parts of it are just meant to reminiscent of early 19th/20th century imperialism and probably various other world conflicts.

I think there's a need for the generic Merc with a Mouth in this here thread. I'll probably have him swinging around a slab of rusty iron he's affectionately named Susan.

I should have a bio up in a day or two.

Lol, well, don't take too long eh? I'll probably get the IC up sometime in the next hour or so.

(Here's what I've got so far. I'll have the rest finished soon.)

Name: X13-117-7548E

Species: Android

Appearance:
PostApArmour-1.jpg

Armor:
TOWER WATCH A2 (Shown in his image)

This armor is grafted to X13's body via a system of Articulate Welding, and magnetic blocks. This allows X13 to retain a range, and speed of movement that is unknown to most while still carrying armor that protects him like a tank from thrown stones. The armor itself is also infused with it's own AI that will activate in the event that X13's is incapacitated or damaged. This acts as a fail safe, and the Armor will remove X13 from danger in order to repair it, when it actively takes control of X13's body,

Weaponry:

78 SHARP (Displayed in X13's Image)

The 78 SHARP is a heavily customized katana like blade that can discharge high amounts of electricity through the length of it's blade, and is also equipped with a vibration amplifier. This amplifier compliments the blades cutting edge by causing the blade to vibrate at extreme speeds allowing the blade to cut, and saw all at once.

RBMFG: The 154 A2 "Real Big Mother F*cking Gun"

453608-shock_rifle_super.jpg

This gun packs a punch to the stomach, a kick to the balls, and a curb stomp to the head all in one. It's designed to fulfill a variety of roles in the field that range from heavy machine gun fire, anti air, to artillery strikes. The body of the weapon is connected to X13 via wireless adapters in order to change shape, and roll as the moment arises while in X13's very capable hands.

The weapon's body is capable of transforming into four specific modes. Heavy Caliber sniper rifle, heavy Machine Gun, Anti-Air Cannon, and Artillery Lobber. The weapon itself also has a storage tank like system, however it cannot fire off destructive Rift Bolts like X13. It's clip regenerates drawing energy from the Void, much like X13

Special Abilities:

Rift Discharge: X13's powers source comes from the very heart of space, and the void beyond. Its battery is constantly charging itself, and when it's power begins to flood, the overflow is stored in three specialized storage tanks. When a tank if fully primed X13 can release the energy in a bolt like projectile causing immense electromagnetic, as well as high heat damage. However when this ability is used, X13 must have two stored tanks. One for the bolt, and one for recovery, as a projectile causes his energy to spike downwards, and the following tank must be flushed into it's system in order to stop it from performing a Reboot process.

Cloak: X13's portable stealth generator allows him to remain undetected by the widest array of long range senors, and when boosted to 150% efficiency its presence is masked even when its location is swept with Electro/Termal Scanners. The output however can heavily damage its Stealth Unit if used for a prolonged amount of time beyond it's bench marked limits.

History: To be finished.

Sounds good! Anyhoo, actually starting the IC right now. Expect it to be up in a few minutes.

AH HOLY PISS

IC IS UP

GOGOGOGOGOGO

The other day my sinlaw and I were talking about how for all peoples freak outs in news and media and whatnot about being 'politically correct', it seemed llike people were getting less tolerant, really... I dunno, I was just musing on the Helios situation and it came to mind.

^-^ Thanks, TZS. Or... Lunatic AI. :P Whatever I shall call you. *Cuddles*

I'm mostly finished with my character. Everything's pretty brief and I still have a history to write, but I'm doing the best I can right now~

GG on the first IC post, Lun.

Brings up some interesting points on how differing cultures see one another, although I think it's really how you teach tolerance and multiculturalism that ultimately determines how it all ends up, along with how difference is perceivded; as the alien or just another different shade of the inevitable/normal?

Pay no mind to the rampaging Android. He's just looking for his floppy disk.

Seriously.

Jumi, if no one has told you how awesome you are today: Jumi, you're freakin awesome.

@Irae, oh I agree, but Jones character is supposed to be a sort of jaded (not so much as she thinks she is, I love screwing my characters over mentally...) woman, I thought the opinion suited her.

Assorted Factoids About Funebrarum.

Expect this post to be edited with more info going in as time passes and as people ask more questions and demand to know more.

Many funebrarans, especially those alng the lines of creatures like flies, wasps, bees, ants, and beetles, are born from laid eggs. They emerge as larval creatures, bearing little to no ressemblance to their adult forms. Others, such as the spawn of earwig, mantis, spider, and most crustacean-esque funebrarans are born as minuature but more animalistic-looking versions of their parents. What they both share in common though, is the fact that even right out of the egg or the womb (or elsewhere), they already have many of the instincts and skills needed to survive in the wild, along with a base understanding of the Funebraran language. Some inherit some elements of memories from past generations, but these tend to be clouded and mentally vague. As they grow other, they of course grow larger, but the larval ones pupate at around the age of 10 - 13, while the "nymphs" simply grow into normal adult modes.

Despite being arthropods, Funebrarans do not breed a whole lot. Many of them will die having never reproduced or even having had sex. Their culture, unlike ours, does not place much importance on having children and marriage is only a very recent thing to them. Sex is not really seen with that much importance either, and the recreational use of it is not given much attention. Alongside that, many Funebrarans have no grasp or concept of family; around 50% grow up in nurseries never ever seeing their parents and many don't really even form relationships with their siblings. After leaving the jeuvenile state and becoming young adults, many basically are already advanced high school or university students, living by themselves. If they do have a family, more often than not, it is more of basically a family made of very close friends.Eerily enough, even if they have never ever seen/smelled/known/tasted/etc. their parents, siblings, or other family members before, they have a bizarre ability to recognize them immediately even if they are placed amongst completely identical people. It is believed to be another strange case of racial memory.

Spirituality and religion are nearly non-existent in their culture, with over 87% of the population being agnostic, atheist, anti-religious/spiritual, or simply "un-religious". A few strange neo-transcendentalistic systems of belief exist, but even their believers do not really see it as religion or spirituality.

Funebraran "cities", "towns", and "villages" look strange. Some have a strange ressemblance to giant excavated African ant nests or huge termite mounds, while others look like clusters of bizarre plantoid shapes (their advanced bio-tech allows for basically cybernetic fungi/plant homes).

The Funebrarans don't really have a spoken language, actually. There seems to be no rhythm or rhyme to it; to many scientists, it comes off as completely random and with no unlockable scheme ot explain it all. It is theorized among some though, that all the rasps, hisses, clicks, and buzzes are able to be understood by other Funebrarans and certain other non-Funebraran arthropod species due to a sort of strange racial memory; something inside all of their heads that exists prior to and without any sensory experience. This language is understood less as words and varies wildly amongst species, but it communicates ideas, thoughts, feelings, and so on as some sort of strange idea that is strongly felt and made clear, yet with little use of equivalents of words.

Funebrarans on average are very hardy and strong animals; even their civilians can be dangerous if roused to action. Some are strong enough to lift and throw cars, while others can sometimes run as fast as certain vehicles. They also have incredible regeneration capabilities; there are cases where they have had their limbs torn off or were even sliced in half, yet regenerated from these wounds in a few days or even hours. They have more than just extreme strength to them. The eye-shapes of some allow them to see things in a massive visionary scope far beyond that of a human's, sometimes giving them front and side views and even seperate eye-segments to see above and below at the same time. Others have incredible senses of smell, able to pinpoint the exact location of a target and its particular scent through a plethora of others and over extreme distances as well. Some can enter a state of almost zen-like hyper-focus, allowing them to hear sounds within and around other sounds, detecting targets even with their eryes closed. A few species have incredible reflexes, allowing them to fight sometimes over ten enemies at once. Almost all of them can climb on vertical surfaces or even upside down ones and certain species are incredible diggers. These are just some examples of what they can do; all of these abilities can be enhanced using both biological and synthetic enhancement.

Funebrarans are one of the very few species with biological performance-enhancing evokable armour; basically a sort of additional carapace or their own carapace entering it additional "mode" they can cause to form over themselves when they want it to. While only some species are born with this (not always used for combat purposes), if they choose to join the military then this armor-evokation is usually upgraded heavily and given enhanced combat capability. Others have to "unlock" it, through a sort of half scienticif, half transcendentalistic proccess that involves a mixture of manipulating their very being using advanced bio-synthetic tech and causing them to enter an "ascended" state of mind to unlock hidden parts of their racial memory. Others can have it installed into themselves, although their bodies must be heavily modified in order for this to happen.

Along with that, Funebrarans also are considered to be incredibly advanced in terms of integrated weaon systems. Many already have natural defences claws, spines, toxins, acid, and powerful mandibles. Many though, often enhance these for increased lethality; claws become sharper and can be sheathed in steel and given the ability to project a disruption field or even channel energy if it's a caster. Spines can be given explosive tips to turn them into biological missile launchers. Toxins and acid can be edited to be volatile fluids when the right reaction is provoked, as well as having quicker kill times. Beyond that, they are best known for their so called "bio-guns"; it is common to see many Funebraran soldiers wielding not assault rifles and rocket launchers, but rather eerily natural-looking weapon-protusions sticking out of their shoulders and arms. These are installed into their body through surgical processes or sometimes "hyper-evolved" from natural built-in defensive systems. They usually fire organic ammunition, sometimes living that can be as lethal as any synthetic round. Spines that dig into prey before shattering into thousands of smaller blades that tear flesh apart, hyper-active hard-bodied crustaceans that use acid and ripping limbs to dig through armour before detonating violently, and even heavy seed pod rounds that coat themselves in a "jacket" of energy to increase their amour piercing power are all common, amongst various others. Add to this the cybernetics that can be integrated into a Funebraran's weapons and his/her armour and you have a ridiculously high level of customization.

There are a variety of parasites that Funebrarans use to enhance their abilities. Most of these live inside of a Funebraran and aside from the enhanced physical capabilities, often granting special evokable and modifiable bio-weaponry and enhancements to existing armour or new armour if there is non originally. Sometimes energy channeling abilities are acquired or unlocked, or they unlock extra limbs. It can be hard to predict what the effects in particular will be, but it will be inevitable that you will have a more capable and powerful Funebraran at the end of the day. The parasites though, in a way become a sort of extra organ that helps to keep them alive and eerily enough, become a part of their host. Their own bodies can be ripped apart by swords and guns, yet they have been known to regenerate completely in the exact same spot they were blown apart or shredded and seemingly killed in. These parasite, despite usually being around the size of your hand, are surprisingly intelligent and often converse with a sort of thought-language; it's not as much talking as it is simply flinging raw ideas back and forth.

Their hive ships are roughly the size of small planets, with each one being larger than the death star. They are host to a variety of ecosystems and colonies and they even keep their own unique plant and animal species in them. The parasites are bred in these ecosystems while various plant/fungi/lichen/etc. species are used for medecinal, constructional, recreational, military, and other purposes. They feed on both living and dead life, both animal and plant. Due to the carnivorous and herbivorious natures of certain species, they have a wide selection of "universal" food, often looking like crackers, cheese, or some strange paste, that can be consumed by all with little difficulty. Mind you, they rarely cook their food, preferring to eat it raw. Table manners are not common amongst them. Some may only eat once a week or once a month and some, such as the scorpion like ones, have been known to survive over a year without food or water.

While there are birds, reptiles, molluscs, mammals, and certian other species living on these ships, the main ones are actually various large and sometimes tameable feral arthropod species. Many of these are simply called bio-juggernauts and some are larger than even T.S.C. land cruisers. Many of these are heavily modified, cybnernetically and biologically, for enhanced destructive capability and they often see combat right alongside their on average quite advanced combat vehicles. For example, giant amphibious crabs can be given extra armour plating, attachable bunkers, artillery/rocket pods/pulse-casters, and powerful fragmentation cannons mounted under their claws, which can be sheathed with special "gloves" that can activate disruption fields for enhanced stronghold and armor-smashing. Many of these creatures are controlled via a sort of special telepathic link between handler(s) and the beast.

In case you're wondering about the appearence of the hive ships, they are rather spherical in design, yet not completely smooth. Their surface seems bumpy and uneven, full of all sorts of nooks and crannies, and at their tops and bottoms, the mass of metal that makes them up seems to slowly turn into multiple massive towring spike-like spires. These seem like teeth and almost look like the gates to the somewhat pit-like depressions on the top and bottom of these immense craft. Along the center circumference of the ships there is a sort of trench-like section, bisecting the craft and making it seem like two giant crowns pointing in the opposite directions.

Very few people actually know what Funebrarans look like underneath all the armour. A lot simply assume that their combat appearence is the one they go around for their daily lives with. Even less know about their life cycles, biology, society and so on.