Social Experiments: Are they effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LogicfromLogic

Original poster
So I've been studying this for a while and haven't really formed a proper opinion yet because I am still the study stage. I can see points on both sides; how they help and how they don't.

Say for example, there was one about child abuse (I am sure there's a plethora of them) where it talked about racial issues. I can see how it would raise awareness and show that people need to do something to stop it (calling the cops and separating the child from danger in these situations are good places to start), but I can also see how this would go wrong.

People don't know they are actors. Down where I grew up, you did that you'd have so many people on you that by the time whoever was filming was able to tell them that it was an experiment it might be damn well too late for the actor(s). To be fair they did this in the middle of a city on a well used road or a park. I can also see how social standards fall into place; typically if people don't see others stepping up to help they too will walk on by.

And it all depends on what the experiment is, but part of me wonders that if the ones that responded are in on it (I know that isn't really a fair assumption, giving people the benefit of the doubt is something I personally struggle with and have to work on). Most of them I can tell in their expression that they are being genuine.

Well... Yeah.

Eh, they're maybe slightly more effective for raising awareness than simple posters or whatnot, but awareness campaigns aren't all that effective to begin with. People who already realized <insert issue> was a problem will mostly just nod and say "yup, I knew it," and then move on with their lives doing nothing to help. People who don't believe it's a problem will scoff and say "bullshit, obviously staged nonsense," and move on with their lives secure in their assurance that all is well.

Honestly, those kinds of social experiments might be slightly more effective in making take notice, but they're likely less effective in causing real change. They tend to just be videos that are like "omg look at this crazy shit," which will get some views but not much more. More traditional awareness campaigns are usually slathered with messages about donating to so-and-so organization to help fight the problem, which works on a fair number of those people who see it and already saw the issue as a problem, thus change is made via donations. Unless your metric of success is YouTube views, I'd have to say social experiments aren't all that successful.

Reactions: Rare
Social Experiments work fine for spreading awareness of an issue, assuming it isn't staged.
The issue is being an online video said awareness isn't well channeled yet, but we're getting there.
Big time YouTubers are already using things like Patreon to support themselves.

If these online social experiments started using that or kick starter with their videos?
I can see it becoming more successful than traditional awareness campaigns.
Let's just hope said kick starters are actually for good things and not crap like encouraging pizza shop homophobia.

Also I'd argue that the "Might not do something cause others don't" is a completely fine element to leave around.
Humans are social creatures, they often rely on groups and mob mentality.
There are many things (Both positive and cruel) that humans will only do if someone else did it first and/or is telling them to.

Most of these social experiments I see are just shameless self-promotions and attention time. Don't get me wrong, some are in for a good cause but others are just in it for some trivial or otherwise shedding light on something most of us have common sense on.

This era of "awareness" is just about having someone come to bash your head in with a stop sign and screaming "STOP" because they may think you may not stop. To put it more bluntly, these social experiments seem to have this pre-conceived notion everyone are insensitive idiots. Then again being the misanthrope that maybe the case, yet I don't want it shoved down my face every time I turn around.

I feel like something is being left out of the equation here: what do you do with the information that you get? You have to remember that a social experiment is just a means of getting practical information as quickly as possible. If you hang up your hat after just gathering the information, of course it's not going to affect the issue you've decided to highlight. Anything that brings awareness only sustains that awareness and brings about change is driven by action. So alone, social experiments don't do anything; there has to be follow through. Simply being aware of something doesn't mean that the people made aware are going to care enough to do anything about it. I hope that answers your question.

• Useful
Reactions: Kaddoc
I feel like something is being left out of the equation here: what do you do with the information that you get? You have to remember that a social experiment is just a means of getting practical information as quickly as possible. If you hang up your hat after just gathering the information, of course it's not going to affect the issue you've decided to highlight. Anything that brings awareness only sustains that awareness and brings about change is driven by action. So alone, social experiments don't do anything; there has to be follow through. Simply being aware of something doesn't mean that the people made aware are going to care enough to do anything about it. I hope that answers your question.
I was going to touch on this but someone (as usual) does a better job at explaining than I ever could.

Kudos to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.