So, there is now a club/group for people who are interested in the Japanese language

Status
Not open for further replies.
What pissed me off about learning Japanese?

Fucking Keigo

It's a total cultural thing too

Yeah... Social ranks always make things annoying, no matter where you go.

We haven't gotten far enough to touch on Keigo. My sensei says we are going to touch on that next semester. I'm not really looking forward to it.

*lays on the floor* I don't speak a word of Japanese. I know very few words but that's it.

Yes, you are half correct. Desu (です) is the verb to describe how something is. But, no, what I said was wrong.  But, it is kind of complicated how to actually say that...

私はどこにあなたが知っている。
watashi wa doko ni anata ga shitte iru.
I am where at you have knowledge of. <-- Literal translation.

So, watashi is me. Anata means you, BUT I've been told that you do not use that unless you know the person intimately OR if you aren't talking to a specific person, but instead posting it to a forum where the person you are talking to could be anyone (For example, my textbook uses Anata). Normally, you would just put the person's name where the 'anata' is. I didn't use Desu in this sentence because the phrase 'watashi wa doko ni' literally means 'I am where at'. Doko - where; ni - at.

How much sense does that make?
There's a reason why I thought I only knew two sentences....that's my way of saying "You make no sense at all to me.".

I know how to read Hiragana and most of Katakana, Kanji's currently a no. I only know how to read basics like day, or up, or mountain, or gold, or flower, or... well basics. (I don't even know how to say half of those in Japanese.

Phrase wise I know a few baby phrases like "tokidoki [drink] o nomimasu"
If I'm correct it should mean "sometimes (I/he/she) drink [whatever drink]" when translated.

So... I'm a NH toddler too. >.>

@LeVen
You know those people who say practice makes progress?
Yeah.

Try to actually listen to the words in a J-drama or Anime for starters. it helps.

I can see why learning English is easy. Because every other language is unnecessarily complicated!!!

Actually, English is known for being unnecessarily difficult to non English speakers.

Because of all those different words and acceptions.

Actually, English is known for being unnecessarily difficult to non English speakers.

Because of all those different words and acceptions.

*exceptions

Sorry. It was just too ironic not to point out.

*laughs at people* I'm not trying to be an asshole or sound like I'm superb and know much more than all of you but I find it amusing when everyone else tries to "overly complicate" Japanese language. For example, "desu" is "is" or "am". I don't even worry about what it literally means or what it's even supposed to mean in the first place. What I know is that it's simply something added at the end of the sentence to make it polite. It makes learning much easier for me.

@Ser K+ I'd like to point out that Japanese cannot translate well into English, therefore, "nani" which does mean what, can also "translate" to what the hell depending on the context of the situation. Hajimemashite is a greeting used the very first time you meet someone and because of the formality used, the translation of "Nice to meet you" or "Please be good to me" pretty much mean the same thing because there's no direct translation of Japanese to English.

I don't find it difficult.

I just cant read most of it. XD

*cough*Asshole.*cough*
And subs are still pretty bad.

I don't find subbing all that bad. I think it depends mainly on where you watch the anime from. :P

Well yeah. Or you end up getting stuff like this.
tumblr_n5znoaNUkW1qf14tro1_500.png

I've never encountered even mildly bad subs, so clearly you guys are just looking in the wrong places.

Haha, that's funny because I know I'm not looking in the wrong place! xD

Who listens to Japanese music and (sings) to become more proficient in the language? AnimeLyrics is a wonderful website that has English translations to a lot of Japanese songs translated and corrected by people who are proficient in the Japanese language. I'd recommend it as a secondary source for learning the language. You pick up a lot of stuff from there! (:

Reactions: Lady Chess
The above is one of the few I've seen.

I haven't seen any on Kissanime or another site that i'm currently having an awful time recalling the name of.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those get triple checked prior to being added.

I meant Anime Ultima.

OKAY, I JUST GOT BACK BUT CAN I TELL YOU GUYS A STORY

So, my brother calls me up, broke as a butt and tells me he is hungry

So, I drive him to McD's and give him my debit card

And, I tell him, 'order whatever you want'

WELL, HE DOES

AND, HE ORDERS A DOZEN CHEESEBURGERS

SO, THAT'S WHY I'VE BEEN GONE FOR AN HOUR

A poem by The Dreamweaver

Reactions: Ser K+ and Unsun
Status
Not open for further replies.