So Obama...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem with gun control in America:

Mexico.
Not necessarily true. While it is always nice to pin our issues on foreign entities, the reality is that plenty of illegal gun transactions take place and originate here in America. Read this article: frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS Not a single mention of Mexico. If anything, further research into the issue would show that guns flow out of the U.S. and into Mexico, where they're used by cartel representatives, etc.

Not necessarily true. While it is always nice to pin our issues on foreign entities, the reality is that plenty of illegal gun transactions take place and originate here in America. Read this article: frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS Not a single mention of Mexico. If anything, further research into the issue would show that guns flow out of the U.S. and into Mexico, where they're used by cartel representatives, etc.

He was shitposting. <_< Not to be taken seriously lol.

He was shitposting. <_< Not to be taken seriously lol.
Just because you want me to shitpost, or don't understand the content within for your own lack of understanding, doesn't mean it's necessarily a shitpost.

My post was to illustrate that, going the route of other countries and making weapons, guns in particular, illegal won't really hurt gun crime as a whole within the United States. We may see a drop off in "horror" moments in the same vein of Sandy Hook and Columbine, but criminals will always have weapons-- because Mexican cartels will take over weapon trade.

See: War on Drugs. Mexican Cartels are a superpower in and unto themselves due to their control of foreign drugs entering the US.

The point I'm trying to illustrate is, while getting your hand on a gun may be harder for an individual, and while it may be harder for one of those insane teenagers to shoot up a school, criminals will still get their hands on them. Someone who wants to murder with a gun, will get their hand on a gun.

Rhetoric? Certainly. But I'm not trying to dodge the entire debate of gun control or gun bans with the above argument, either. Certainly an obfuscation, but no less something that needs to be considered.

Additionally, I am very much a red-blooded American that likes my guns. I think they're art, and beautiful, and admire them as I would a 17th century sword or hand-crafted bow. And they're hella fun to take to a range and shoot recreationally. And I do like the idea of the Second Amendment. To paraphrase: If my country fucks up really bad, I have the right to overthrow that same government with mah guns.

Of course, that probably won't ever happen under any kind of circumstance. Still, it's nice to think about that little shitstorm safety net.

• Thank You
Reactions: Fluffy and Windsong
B-but you can't fight the United States Army!
The drones!
And jets!
And tanks!

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Mid
I'm just amused that people think such a war would matter at all with or without the guns. It's the people in the military that matter. Case in point, Syria. It doesn't matter how many guns the rebels have: The military is resolutely against them and will keep fighting to the point that victory for either side is a hollow, fallacious sentiment.

The reason I laugh at any idea of an American revolution being won with guns is because the majority of your soldiers could and would side with "We The People" over any perceived authoritarian target... If, that was the only course left to prevent the fall of the American Democracy, and protect their values and families. It doesn't matter how many high tech gadgets you have if the people who are supposed to be using those things decide that you are the bigger problem.

I mean... I guess it doesn't hurt to have the guns, just in case. On the other hand, if the American military machine turned on its own people, they would last about, maybe... A week. Tops. :ferret: Then it would all be guerrilla warfare. Or the nukes would fall and everything becomes irrelevant after that.

Maybe rather than focusing on another country, we should like...focus on our own country? I'm not exactly sure what Mexico has to do with walking into an American gun store and walking out without showing any identification.

Yes, there are many factors and stuff but...that's basically the main issue that is being brought up.

And when I hear people talk about Mexico in a negative fashion, all I hear is Trump, big wall and WAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKAAAAA..!

But good on you for posting more than an one worded post or an unnecessary picture.

And many ppl are unaware that most of these laws were supposed to change every 20 to 30 years to fit in with our current society. But people dislike change so much, they just can't lose their guns. A kid is fine, but not the guns.

Also, in regards to mentally ill people it is really a sad case however most people are unwilling to help themselves maybe out of pride or government paranoia of being controlled? And with how our oldest generation thinks, there is a lot of shame brought on those who suffer from such sickness. There definitely needs to be more knowledge brought to the table rather than this whole stop being a crybaby bitch, everyone has problems and it ain't all about you kind of attitude.

Obviously, you don't know the pure fervor of the American Fighting Spirit.

Btw, @Cosmos, this would be considered a shitpost if you were so inclined to do so.

• Love
Reactions: Brovo
If anything I'd say the biggest issue with Guns is that when people bring them, they tend to forget to bring enough food to eat.

Therefore, if we have more gun control we'll prevent starvation...

That's how this stuff works... Right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy
I found out black-powder weapons are considered non-guns in my state. So I can carry my flintlock pistol in public.
I believe guns crafted before 1901 are considered antiques and not firearms as well.

Oh, why can't we all just agree that gun owners/gun sellers should have background checks and (for gun sellers) a licence to sell them?

I don't understand people who disagree with background checks for all gun owners. It isn't like the US government isn't banning them or 'taking them away'. There's a post somewhere that says that if there's background checks and similar things to them, then the government/state government should lift the ban on certain things (like assault weapons, suppressors, and other things that I can't list off) because the background checks should be able to prove that people are in the right mind to have guns.

It's somewhere on Facebook.

• Nice Execution!
@TheGreyWarden

I actually have an answer for that.

There are a great many people who feel uncomfortable in the United States of having the government have a running list of who/who does not own a firearm. They feel that it could potentially be a starting point for taking them away eventually as it has been done several times in history (normally as a result of hostile take over / government changes).

I don't feel that way myself, but I know a good many people who feel that way about it.

I own guns an I don't mind doing a background check. I don't feel that gun control will solve the problems we have here, however. I still maintain that the media in this country is the main reason that we have the problems that we do when it comes to mass killings with guns. We turn the killers into the celebrities pretty much by focusing on every detail of their lives (and even occasionally making movies about them) ... while the victims mostly get ignored.

(like assault weapons, suppressors, and other things that I can't list off)

...honestly, i am not sure what civilians need these kinds of weapons for. What are you going to do with an assault rifle? Being at a range and using one of theirs is different compared to riding around in a car, chillin with your rifle in the passenger seat. I just dun get it omo

I'm actually very progressive-minded towards the idea of gun laws and restrictions. I absolutely believe we need very strict, almost redundant gun laws requiring identity checks and recorded serial numbers. I also do believe there are a handful of things we just don't need, like silencers, though to be fair that is a misnomer and a gun is still very loud with a silencer. It just won't echo across the block.

Assault rifle is another misnomer. It's a classification of small arms for the military, and any weapon can be converted to an assault rifle. But that's neither here nor there.

The one thing I do not agree with, under any circumstance, is an outright gun ban.

• Thank You
Reactions: Windsong
...honestly, i am not sure what civilians need these kinds of weapons for. What are you going to do with an assault rifle? Being at a range and using one of theirs is different compared to riding around in a car, chillin with your rifle in the passenger seat. I just dun get it omo
Collection. Hobbyist. Same question can be levied about purchasing a car that can go three times the speed limit, or owning a katana that you likely can't bring out in public because it's a blade in excess of six inches. How about a firecracker, or explosives?

I mean, there's obviously a legitimate upper limit. If the device in question can murder thousands of people at the flick of a switch (ex: A nuclear device) or cause mass devastation by accident (ex: Biological contaminants) you want a tight seal on those. However, the vast majority of gun-related homicides are committed with common side arms--not assault weapons, or weapons with silencers on them, or et cetera. Ergo, banning assault rifles would be like banning show piece katana or broadswords: Sure, technically, you can kill people with those, and I'm sure there are murders on record in the modern era that involve those weapons. I'm willing to bet though that the majority of blade-related murders are with short knives, which are concealable, rather than a bulky as fuck broadsword that everyone can blatantly see on your person.

Also, fun fact: Silencer is a bit of a misnomer. It doesn't affect noise as much as people think it does, it's designed more to kill muzzle flash. IE: Firing at long range with a sniper rifle? No more muzzle flash. I think, anyway. Someone who has more firearms experience than me can feel free to correct me on that.

Also, fun fact: Silencer is a bit of a misnomer. It doesn't affect noise as much as people think it does, it's designed more to kill muzzle flash. IE: Firing at long range with a sniper rifle? No more muzzle flash. I think, anyway. Someone who has more firearms experience than me can feel free to correct me on that.

This pmuch. Suppressor would be a more fitting word for it. It disperses the sound and suppresses the muzzle flash. Large enough calibre, and we're still getting something, but at least you get get your shot group off without worry of being pounded up the ass by artillery.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
@Cosmos

I dunno. This is a murky thing. I'm one of those people that feel it isn't anyone's place to dictate what you need or do with your own money. Like if you replace the word 'assault weapon' with 'ferrari' it'd be the same thing basically.

"You're not a race car driver so why do you need a ferrari?"

That also kind of plays a role into the gun thing, I guess.

But that also plays into the whole I don't think gun control is an effective solution with the problems we face. In all honesty, while there are a lot of crazy killers out there who could've been stopped from getting one with some background checks at a gun shop, we've got plenty of killers down at the youth facility who bought them/traded them from friends, stole from their parents, or broke into houses and got them.

There's just a whole lot of elements in play with this that Gun Control cannot fix.

• The feeling of security with firearms.
  • Fear/distrust of the government.
  • Portrayal of guns in media both good and bad.
  • Yellow journalism tactics by the mainstream media towards one biased political agenda or another. (As most can probably tell, I am not a fan of how news reporting is handled here in the US.)
  • The black market for these things.
  • The misguided idea of what the 2nd Amendment does.
  • The fact that some people depend on guns as tools.
  • Killers emulating other killers.

This is just a really complex issue and I can't fault the political leaders for trying to at least do something about it even if I disagree with their tactics.

The world is just a violent place though and it always will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.