So, Not Sure If This Goes Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gonzo

Original poster
Buuut, I'm posting it in here, anyway.

So, I'm planning to travel to Boston sometime in January to see a friend. I already have hotel accommodations covered. However, I have yet to book a flight and car rental. Anyways, I was wondering if any of you travel often, or have traveled in the past, and if so, what was cheapest way to go about obtaining the flight ticket and/or rental for you? I know they have a ton of websites, but are there any that are the best?

Would appreciate the help. Gracias.

Flight attendant told my mom to buy her tickets late Tuesday/Wednesday night, like from 2am to 5am because the prices drop. She also recommended sidestep.com but kayak seems to have bought it so meh. My mom would be able to get tickets for 200 bucks instead of 700 and up. Round trip at that.

• Thank You
Reactions: Gonzo
I don't travel often but last time I flew (about a month ago) my mom, dad, and I walked into the airport and asked about flights. Got tickets for $14 from Houston to Denver.

• Thank You
Frequent flyer here, I travel a lot for work.

A lot of budget airlines like Southwest, Frontier, and Spirit don't advertise their rates on airline consolidators like Kayak or Expedia.

I would check Kayak first; put in the airports and your expected date of travel, and Kayak has a nifty little meter thing that shows you whether you should buy or wait based on historical sales trends. So you can use that to get an idea, assuming you're willing to check every so often to see if prices have fallen.

Then I'd take those prices and compare them with some other budget airlines that hopefully fly the route you need.

Car rentals I'm less help with since I've always just rented with National because I have status with them.

• Thank You
I hear clearing cookies before you go searching helps. Probably works the same for car rentals.

I've recently been to Boston and the only help I could give you would be to pay attention to the roads because jfc tunnels are so distracting. Don't talk over your GPS (get yourself a GPS or get really good at directions) and look up and to the sides 'cause that's where the signs are. I am forever haunted by the voice of my GPS saying "Take a U-turn" because of Boston.

Also you should check out the museums, the Boston Museum of Fine Arts was hella fine.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.