So, I'm supah stoked about this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Celest

Original poster
20160514122311a0eeocmo59i2ei8i.jpg

CLICK THIS

There are so many things about this game that pulls me in. Starting with the fact that the character ages and dies. The fact that everything is so dynamic is also something that really interests me. My character can impact yours, yours can impact mine. The environment changes, things can be destroyed. THIS IS THRILLING. And a family system! I can't even begin to explain the excitement I have about the family system. The little 20 minute video goes into more depth about the family system, and the game in general.

The only thing that I feel like might make the game a flop is that there is a set time where your character is alive. In real life time the game lasts 10-14 month. Yeah, there is reincarnation. And sure, they have this astral plain you can walk to get back to do your dead body. But if a player reaches the end of the game, end of their character's life, will they want to start another one? At least you don't start from having absolutely nothing if you start again. Your soul keeps the same attributes it had so when you create another character the same skills will still be there.

Anywho, I can't wait for full release. Thought I'd share it with you guys and maybe get some of you interested or see if anyone else is looking forward to it :D

Things I like about this game:
  • Complex, mutable environment with persistent change.
  • Personal-story driven quests.
  • Looks amazing
  • The persistent soul mechanic appeals to me

Things that drive me away from this game:
  • Subscription model -- I have a habit of playing for a bit, stopping for months or years, then coming back. I don't want to pay to not play. I don't want to not play and come back to a dead character.
  • Always-in-world -- When I log out, I want my character to NOT be there for other people to try to interact with. I'd rather not come back and find that I died because I had to go to work.
  • Family system -- I'm not into forced socializing, and this basically means that as soon as I log in I have to call some random player my superior and rely on them to show me the ropes. Give me an NPC tutorial bot and call it done.
  • Player-Skill -- If my character has a high stat in something, I don't see why I should dump hours into learning exactly how to utilize it. I am not my character. My character is not me. This is an RPG, not a twitch game, so why focus on a mechanic that will dramatically increase the difficulty for everyone who isn't a gaming fanatic? Turn on auto-aim. Set up easy jumping mechanisms. Lock-picking or Pickpocketing can be a simple comparison of numbers with a die roll. I'm not going to parry every single attack my opponent makes, and spend all my time dodging. If I wanted that I'd go out and become some sort of superhero. Give me an armor stat or a defense stat and call it done. This is a major one to me, because it means the game has failed at its one and only purpose: being fun. I play a game for fun, not frustration. I don't care about it being challenging, because if I want a challenge I can go pick real locks, write code, or learn something.

ETA: This isn't an entirely fair review. I gave lots of detail supporting my negatives and none for the positives, but I felt the need to support my complaints since just bullet pointing those doesn't tell you why I consider it a problem.

Reactions: Kitti
  • Family system -- I'm not into forced socializing, and this basically means that as soon as I log in I have to call some random player my superior and rely on them to show me the ropes. Give me an NPC tutorial bot and call it done.

Yeah, the family system is huge in this game. The video explained that when you die your family gets a "sixth sense". They can come to your body and the physical tie your soul has to your body becomes stronger. When you start the game you start where your family is at instead of a starting instance. I find the family dynamic brilliant. But, I get your social thing =P

Another brilliant thing the game has to offer is the fact that plants, animals, they are all in different places on the map based on environment. I know there are many games that already environment based spawns like that. I don't know. Just super excited about this.

I'd waste my money once to see if I liked it.

Reactions: Celest
This is what I want to hear! Join my one person hype train, pls
Don't you mean two person hype train! But R.I.P the wallets of those who don't get enough story points.

• Love
Reactions: Celest
Two person hype train ftw. U da real mvp. This train will grow with my determination.

Yush and once that determination gets them, we will make the worlds most dangerous army >=D

... lol.

I can't wait for this game to be totally and utterly ruined by players.

You know why you have NPC's in World of Warcraft serving the roles of kings and what not? It's not from a lack of players. There's lots of players. It's because players are assholes. Look at any survival game like Rust and just stare in awe at the sheer murderous self-destructive behaviour all the players indulge in by constantly murdering each other.

Even if you somehow got a town off the ground, you would then need to justify a local or world economy, which could only be done through strict mechanics. You need to have random events, you need to have mysteries and other such stuff established in the world to give reason to explore that world. This is just a massive sandbox that lets you build stuff. In an hour, you'll have seen and done everything you can.

Forcing a player lifespan to be tied to real world time, forcing the PC to remain active in the world even when a player leaves to go to work, means that more entertaining positions of authority (like the king) can only be done by people with a lot of free time. It also punishes players who may not have as much time to invest as others.

Atop that, forcing everything to be skill-based is just a dumb idea. There's no real progression in a character's set of skills this way, it's only your own. Combat I can get--because hey Dark Souls and Skyrim are fun games in spite of all of their flaws--but smithing too? There are some things that should just be decided by time investment and numbers, that way each character feels unique. Your first character could be a blacksmith who toils and trains at the smithy for years until he starts crafting legendary weapons late in his life. Your next character could then become an adventurer who does cartography on the side. Your next character could be a squire who gains some sort of minor passive leadership buff mechanic until--through social interactions with PC nobles--becomes a knight. The character after that could be banished from being a misogynistic shitlord and ends up becoming a brigand and a bandit, focusing on your skills as a combatant and a passive numbers skill for your stealth, and the character after that could become a hermit who offers legendary potions.

Having no passive, scaleable abilities and making it all skill-based to the point of including mini-games just means that half of this game is QTE's. I thought people hate QTE's. I hate QTE's. :ferret:

Basically, this is the time vampire from hell that will be trolled to shit until the community becomes a tiny niche community of hardcore obsessive players.

I like the idea. I just don't like the execution here. :ferret:

@Brovo what's your opinion on EVE Online?

@Brovo what's your opinion on EVE Online?
Spreadsheet Simulator: The Video Game.

Jokes aside, it's an odd exception floating out there. Me thinks it has to do with the massively complex nature of the game--it's all based around numbers and strategic acting. It's also difficult to start up and troll in the game, due to the necessity to pump in hours and hours of your life to build your way up to a decent ship with decent weaponry. The time investment to building your way toward something that could actually be used to cause damage discourages the very people who would do just that.

Because EVE Online is all about passive numbers and strategy (of which it has a humongous amount of both), you don't get the same kind of trolling, nor have it in nearly the same kind of severity. On the other hand, the end result is a game that is brutally hard to get into, that is massively complex.

If anything, I think its most clever feature is having your character continue to train skills and abilities while you're logged out. It takes several hours to do so and peters out your progression to a set time frame that the developers can plan around. It's one of the only MMO's that works around your life, rather than demanding that you work around its existence... Which means that, in spite of it being a niche title for math space nerds, it works and thrives.

I think more MMO's could learn from it and take cues from it. That and World of Warcraft--just, don't duplicate them directly. Have your own ideas, but learn from those who came before you and survived, considering the MMO market is littered with the corpses of those who didn't.

EDIT

Also note, that EVE Online is a niche title. It has nowhere near the player base of World of Warcraft, which uses NPC's because it's far less complex and the amount of effort required to get a trolling-tier character has a far lower risk ratio should you get caught and killed for it. Death in EVE Online can be a pretty big fucking deal and can set you back a huge amount, not so for WoW. This new MMO adding a couple days to your death is not a big deal when there are no long term consequences for the death of your character--there's no skills tied to him or her, only to you, the player. Ergo, nothing of value is lost when they die. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Vars
I think a discussion of EVE is off-topic in a thread about CoE. If you want to take the troll to an EVE thread, go for it.

CoE could be a very good game, or a mediocre game, or a bad game. Hopefully it's the first. Even if there are mechanics that I don't like the game looks good, and excites people. Which is the point of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.