So... DC or Marvel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be team Marvel... But then my friend made me experience DC and noticed that they are far superior o.o

Something I noticed though, at least with people I know. Most people start Marvel. We all were kids, and DC subjects are more for adults. But once you grow up and experience and truly understand DC, that's when you make the switch from marvel to DC.

Me and a friend are currently in the middle of watching the DC animated movies. They are REALLY good o.o A few I didn't like, but even those ones were by no means bad movies.

*Throws his popcorn away, disappointed*

I wanted to read a thread full of childish butthurt arguing, not this shit.

My husband has me pretty hooked on Dark Horse comics more than anything.

I like both Marvel and DC. I like Marvel for the ways they tell the stories about regular people who are adapting to the superpower life. I like DC for the mythological feel it gives, and the god-like aliens that are amazing role models. Maybe because of this difference though, I'd lean a little more towards Marvel. Plus it has more of my favorite characters than DC does.

Also Marvel's movies are better IMO. x___x DC is better than Marvel at animated movies, however.

And those who claim DC to be darker: I maaay disagree. Marvel has some preeeetty gruesome moments. *Points to Civil War, assassination of Captain America, Matt Murdock's life as a whole, and a bunch of other things before getting too dizzy and falling over*

Last edited:
Reactions: Darog
Something I noticed though, at least with people I know. Most people start Marvel. We all were kids, and DC subjects are more for adults. But once you grow up and experience and truly understand DC, that's when you make the switch from marvel to DC.
It was the opposite for me.

As a kid it was the TV shows of Justice League and Batman I saw.
As well as the Michael Keaton Batman Movies.

It wasn't until I was a mid-late teen that I started getting into Marvel.
Mainly because that's when they started pumping out movies that were actually good such as Iron Man.

Meanwhile child me had what? Daredevil? Electra? Decent heroes, awful movies. :/

DC has dark moments, like certain storyline back in the 80's with Green Lantern/Green Arrow and Speedy becoming a drug addict.

Or any of Frank Miller's Batman. Hell, a lot of Jeph Loeb Batman is pretty dark too. Most of all Batman post 1980 starts getting really, really grimdark with an apotheosis of it coming with Frank Miller, which is when everyone started going grimdark, but that's another point entirely.

Lobo is gruesome, but I wouldn't say dark. All the early-90's Superman stuff is hardly dark. Definitely more mature than anything Superman was used to, but not dark.

Swamp Thing got very mature though, and pretty dark. Constantine is great for dark and gritty (though he wasn't a DC property for a long time, so I wouldn't quite count that). Same goes for Watchmen. Doesn't count.

"Darkest" shit I can think of for DC really comes in modern times, with Final Crisis and Blackest Night storylines. New 52 is trying, but it seems... Edgelordy, if you can catch my meaning.

Marvel has a timeline similar to DC, but with a more consistent "darkness." And they're much crueller to their characters. Again, Frank Miller really kicked this off with his run on Daredevil and Jeph Loeb with his seminal storylines (huh, see a pattern?).

We also can't forget the X-Men. Their first few years were like any other 60's born superhero or superhero team, but starting in the early 70's with the reissue of X-Men stories, thing went hard and things got DARK. Racism, AIDS, bigotry, fear-mongering, genocide... In a "kids" book? Ya rite. And this was consistent, to this day. Sure, things got hokey. But consistent!

I can go on and on and on, but in summary: DC and Marvel both get dark, but while DC has moments on the river of the heart of darkness, Marvel flourishes and bathes in the blood of the innocent.

• Love
Marvel, hands down.

I'm more of a DC fan but Marvel has grabbed my attention with secret wars. I still favor DC and loving what they are doing at this point in time. Bruce Wayne is no longer Batman and Gordon has taken up the title. The Robin title is also being used by multiple characters at once. Superman not being so Super and Wonder Woman awesome new costume that make her look badass.

In respect to Marvel they have some interesting things too. At the moment i'm only care about Thor who is now Jane Foster, X-Men of course and Miles Morales Spider-man. Still DC for the win. DC Has the best Villains like Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Joker, Sinestro, Black Adam and Deathstroke.

Seriusly? DC lost me with New 52 ruining iconic charachters with trying to be "Modern and edgy"

Marvel lost me with its retcons like "Brand new day".

Marvels Max Print is fucking fantastic though

And DC's Vertigo gave us CONSTANTINE.

I much prefer DC, since the heroes just seem much more badass, and the world is a lot darker, y'know?

Plus, we have some of the most iconic characters from DC!

Batman, Joker, Superman, Catwoman, etc.

(Though I can't deny Marvel's heroes. (Basically just the Avengers. And X-Men. And Spidy. Can't forget Spidy.) )

But is it just me? I mean... Some pretty gruesome shit happens in DC.

Marvel just seems a lot more light-hearted. (NotSayingThatIt'sALightUniverseKay)
HA.

But yeah, I can see the reasoning for liking Marvel.

Remember I didn't say that Marvel was a light Universe.

Just that DC is darker.

See, I love comic books, bros. (As if that wasn't obvious.)

(-Literally made a thread about comic book universes.-)

(-Derp-)

I also feel like better villians make a better Universe. Aaaaaaaaand.... The only Marvel villian I like is seriously Loki. But everybody likes Loki. So.....

But I dunno. Maybe I'm a little biased. Lel.

Just to clarify: DC has some really dumb moments just like Marvel does. Remember the time Brainiac combined Kryptonites and zapped Superman? so that Superman could use his powers via wearing different hats? Also, Green Lanterns are the most boring of anything DC has done space wise.

With that said, I like both DC and Marvel, probably lean more towards Marvel because I always feel they do wonders for making heroes have developmen, often falling from grace or getting redeemed for some stuff.

Also Marvel being lighter? Purple Man, Moon Knight, The Punisher, and many more bring a level of darker and grittiness that would even make The Dark Knight Returns Universe blush. Also comics wise? Old Man Logan and a number of Moon Knight one shots, plus Spiderman: The Last Hunt add a darker mood. They are both equally as dark and light as one another.

And it's okay to have bias :D.

Marvel MAX, bruhs. Marvel MAX.

Also, about the Green Lantern Corps: I totally agree. They are stupid-levels of boring! I find it hilarious however, that Marvel's answer/ripoff to the GLC, the Nova Corps, is infinitely more interesting.

• Love
LOL.

IT'S SO TRUE, THOUGH.

God knows what the writers were thinking when they came up with Green Lantern.

But yeah... You do have quite a point, there...

With the darkness, I mean.

-Nods-

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut.

While Marvel has some very well-known characters, The Avengers, X-Men, The Watchmen, Spiderman, etc.

When you think comic book, you tend to think Superman or Batman.

Even just saying the word 'Superhero' or 'Hero' you just...

Subconscious: Dude, Superman, bruh.

Even people who aren't all that interested in comic books do that.

Although, shame on me for using fame instead of quality. But, then again, you have to think. If they weren't quality comic books, then they wouldn't be so famous.

But then again.
There's Nicki Minaj. So...

Lel.

Status
Not open for further replies.