So Close, Yet So Far...*Serpentine and york*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alvie felt Dante wrap his arms around her in a hug and instantly hugged him back. She heard as he started to cry tears of his own as well, and tightened her hug gently. She listened as he reassured her that they would be okay, his voice cracking slightly. She was so glad to have a best friend such as Dante. Alvie felt as her sobs lessened into sniffles and slight hiccups. She lifted her head and looked up into Dante's eyes and smiled. "Y-You have no idea how much you help me. I don't think that we'll always be alright when it comes to Antonio, but I don't think I would have been able to put up with it anymore if you hadn't shown up. I know it sounds cheesy and maybe a little cliche, but it's true. Honestly, I don't know where I would be right now if you hadn't been there for me when you were. I tell myself that I'm strong enough. That I can take anything. But, even someone like me has their limits. Sometimes I think, 'you aren't strong at all, you just want to shove everything away'." Alvie said, her shoulders and heart feeling lighter now that she let out all of the bottled emotions inside her. All the aching pain she kept inside was gone for the time being, and the only person she could thank for that, was Dante. "Thank you, so much." she said, sincerely and truthfully, before going and hugging him again. She felt something inside her when she was near him, but it was still that unknown feeling, but it wasn't bad. Not a bad feeling at all.

@york

"I should be thanking you..." Dante said quietly, hugging Alvie back just as tightly when she had looked him in the eyes and gave him that smile, he knew he'd done something to help her, just like she did when Antonio had tried to hurt him another time... By now he was certain he wasn't just helping Alvie just because he owed her alot for what he had done, it was alot more than that. She was the reason he changed, the person who told him he didn't need the company of others that would hurt him in the end as well as others. All he had been looking for all along was a true friend, someone who wouldn't turn their back on him, someone who was always there to defend him when he couldn't, and whenever the roles were switched, he would always be perfectly willing to defend her. "You opened my eyes... Made me realize the mistake I had made." He said quietly, and it was indeed true, that anger he had felt today was the culmination of all those days he had spent as "cannon fodder" for Antonio and his gang, the anger he felt towards himself and the anger he felt towards Antonio for doing what he had done. Perhaps that's what gave him the courage to stand up to him... No, that couldn't be the only thing, he had felt something in that moment, the same feeling he was feeling right now for Alvie, a strong urge to protect her, to help her as much as he could. Right now though, he just felt a more gentle feeling it was that same feeling he always felt around her, but what was it that he was feeling?

Alvie closed her eyes as she listened to Dante. His words struck a chord inside her and she couldn't help but smile. "If I was the one who opened your eyes to see, then I'm glad I did." she said, closing her eyes as she enjoyed the embrace for a few more moments. Then. Alvie lifted her head and looked at Dante, her smile bright. "How about we get some food?" she asked, raising an eyebrow, sniffling a bit. She knew that they had to leave the storage room sooner or later, or the people from Antonio's gang might spread rumors. Alvie opened the door and turned to Dante. She raised up her hand and hesitated before gently wiping the tears away from his cheeks. She felt happier now, like nothing could touch her. Almost like her shield was fixed and she could take on anything.

@york

At the mention of food, Dante remembered that it was just about lunch even though the bell hadn't rung quite yet; that would happen in a few moments he presumed. Alvie had already opened the door for him before he was able to react much, but he didn't mind too much; she seemed alot happier than she was before. Then, she raised a hand wiping his tears away from his cheeks, he smiled a little and in returned wiped away her own tears, he'd been meaning when she beat him to it, this unexpected development only strengthened that feeling he had inside him. Suddenly, Dante remembered he still hadn't answered her question so he spoke "Sure... Some food would be nice." he said with a warm smile, he looked down the hall scanning for any sign of Antionios gang before he stepped out making sure to wait for Alvie.

Last edited:
Alvie smiled after Dante wiped away her tears, his fingers brushing over her face softly. Then she started walking beside him, a familiar tune popping into her head. Instead of humming it like she always did when walking down the hallways, she was running through the words in her head instead. A few times, Alvie glanced over at Dante just to smile at him, not knowing why. Then, she slowed to match his pace and stood closer next to him, her smile unwavering. Honestly, nothing could bring her down, not even Antonio's gang. Without knowing it, Alvie had started humming softly, barely audible, and noticed that it was the tune to the song she had in her head. She blushed slightly and stopped, feeling a little embarrassed.

@york

As Dante was walking down the hall, he noticed that Alvie had slowed down matching her pace with his own, she had that radiant smile on her face again... It always brought him a great amount of joy seeing her like this; happy, like nothing in the world could bring her down, not even what had happened earlier today, something about it made him happy too. Then, he heard Alvie start humming some sort of tune, he wasn't entirely sure what it was, but he actually kind of liked it, even if he didn't know what the tune was, she suddenly stopped humming abruptly, and as she blushed, Dante realized she hadn't meant to do what she just did. "Y-You don't have to stop..." He said looking a little awkward "I actually kind of liked hearing it... What were you humming?" he asked, wondering if he'd heard that tune before.

"O-Oh, you heard that?" Alvie asked, slightly flustered. Then, she regained her composure and cleared her throat. "It's called Human, by Christina Perri. I've loved the song ever since I first listened to it." she said, looking up at Dante. Since he didn't seem to mind her humming, she decided to continue, swinging her arms slightly at her sides. For some reason, it was easy to be herself around Dante. She had always thought that it would be harder to open up to friends. No, this was different. Dante wasn't 'just a friend'. As she got to her favorite part, the chorus, Alvie twirled slowly as she walked, laughing a little as she started to softly sing. The song was linked to her in so many ways, she lost count. Alvie turned her attention back ahead of her, closing her eyes and smiling softly.

@york

"I like it too... We should listen to it together something." Dante said a little awkwardly, he fell silent for a while listening to Alvie continue humming, even just doing this felt relaxing to him, and he felt the urge to hum along with her. Soon enough, he gave into the urge and hummed along quietly with her matching the notes as much as he could. Usually, he would have helf back such an urge, but around Alvie he felt less restrained, like he was able to do what he felt was right without being judged, as they got to what he noticed was the chorus, Alvie was twiling around as she walked gradually, even laughing a little as she started to full on sing. He started to smile and laugh softly alongside of her, he was still a little worried otherw ould hear him, however soon enough they were approaching the cafeteria doors.

Alvie laughed and smiled brighter when she heard Dante hum along with her. She noticed that he had an amazing voice and turned to look at him. Sooner than she wanted, they arrived at the cafeteria and Alvie walked in first, holding the door open so that it wouldn't slam shut in Dante's face. As she walked in, she noticed that the cafeteria was filled with more students than usual. Alvie simply shrugged and walked forward to the lunch line, waiting for Dante. She hadn't noticed it, but the smell of food made Alvie hungry. Reaching the food, she got some pizza, an apple and some milk before paying. When she was finished, she waited for Dante to get his food.

@york

When Alvie turned around to look at him Dante found himself blushing a little, but he was smiling. As they entered the cafeteria door, he let Alvie walk in first thankfull that she held the doo open for him so it wouldn't slam in his face; Antonio and his cronies would usually have let it shut on him. There were alot more people in that cafeteria than he had expected when they both entered, it made Dante a little nervous, but he couldn't back out, he was hungry after all, and plus, he didn't want to leave Alvie all on her own here. As they stood in the lunch line, progressing through it slowly, he waited for Alvie to get her food before he grabbed his own; a slice of pizza, an orange, and some chocolate milk paying for it. As he appraoched Alvie, he looked around briefly wondering if anyone around them was goign to try anything, the cafeteria tended to be the "hotspot" for these kinds of things.

Alvie gulped a little, holding her tray close to her. As she walked past the crowded tables, many of the girls stared at her with rude looks. She made a noise of discomfort and continued walking, eventually finding a table that nobody was sitting at. Alvie smiled a little and sat down, opening her milk. She lifted the carton to drink it and all of a sudden it exploded in her hand. Alvie cried out loud and drew her hand back, opening her legs quickly so that the carton could fall without it getting milk on her. She looked to the side and saw Antonio holding a home-made slingshot. He had shot something at Alvie's milk carton, making it explode. Looking down, she sighed when she saw her lunch was ruined. Alvie stood up and threw her plate away before going back to the table and plopping down. She had no more money and was too embarrassed to get back in line. "Ignorant little children, I swear." Alvie said muttered to Dante, looking up at him and shaking her head.

@york

Dante just nodded looking on the ground for that little stone Antonio had flung at the milk. Thinking for a moment, he motioned for Alvie to follow him "Let's eat outside... You can have my lunch I guess." he said quietly so others wouldn't hear him. He pocketed the rock knowing he'd probably "return" it to Antonio at some point, he gave Antonio a glare that would normally have been impossible for him to muster before he looked around for a moment trying to locate the exit through the large crowd practically filling the cafeteria. Once he had located the exit, he started walking towards it making sure Alvie was following right behind him, he was covering his own lunch with his body now just incase Antonio were to try anything sleazy again, the door leading outside shouldn't be too far now.

Alvie nodded and followed Dante through the crowd. She felt squished and thought she might lose him, so she put a hand on his back as she followed him. Alvie saw the exit sign up ahead and smiled a little before she felt something hit her shoulder blade...hard. The blow knocked the wind out of her and she gasped as she pulled her hand away from Dante's back, the pain rolling over her body. She clenched her eyes shut and bit her lip against the pain. Finally, she was able to turn around and see who had hit her. Nobody was there, except for a smirking Antonio at his table. Swinging his slingshot in his hand. When he noticed her looking at him, Antonio winked and waved his fingers at her. Turning back around, Alvie gritted her teeth against the pain and closed her eyes for a moment.

@york

Dante felt Alvie out a hand on his back letting him relax a little as he had a more certain way of telling if she was following him, however he heard a whistling noise and turned around only to see a look of pain come across Alvies face. Looking towards the direction she was looking at, he found himself glaring at none other than Antonio himself again, however upon looking a few feet away from Antonio, he spotted a rather strong looking person, he seemed even older than Antonio which was a plus, with that stone he had picked up in hand, he threw it at the back of his head, hoping for it to hit it's intended target... It was a risky move, but considering the fact that Antonio was still waving that slingshot around like an idiot, it was quite clear who would be targetted by that particular individual, but he didn't want to stick around to find out the full details about what would happen. Grasping Alvies arm, he managed to pull her through the rest of the crowd reaching the exit soon enough.

Last edited:
Alvie gasped as Dante grasped her arm, pulling her to the exit. Turning her head, she saw a big guy, muscles bulging on his arms, turn to Antonio, a look of pure rage. Just as Dante pulled Alvie out of the door, she saw the guy descend on Antonio, looking quite murderous. Once they were outside, Alvie couldn't help but laugh and smile at Dante. "That was awesome! He looked so scared!" Alvie said, her gut hurting from laughter. Eventually, she dropped to the ground and laid on her back, unable to smother her laughs. The last time she had laughed so hard, she was barely in elementary school. Finally, Alvie stopped laughing and sat up, still sitting on the ground, her face red from laughter. She sighed and smiled, stretching her arms above her. Looking over at Dante, her smile brightened. "You, good sir, are a pure mastermind." she said, pointing a finger at him.

@york

Dantes eyes widened a little as he realized how big that guy really was when he turned to Antonio... That should teach that little troublemaker a lesson or two about launching projectiles at others for no reason though. As they finally made it outside, he heard Alvies laugh again, and partly out of the hysteria of that close call and partly out of how hilarious it looked from their point of view, he laughed along with her. It seemed like they were laughing forever, eventually Alvie got to the point where she was rolling on the floor, clutching her sides from laughing so hard... Dante was tempted to let himself do that too, but he remembered that he was holding their lunch, eventually Alvie sat up, and Dante was calming down from laughing so hard, as she looked over at Dante and complimented him, pointing a finger at him he looked a little sheepish but he smiled. "Thanks... I guess he needed a taste of his own medicine... Especially since he ruined your lunch." He said awkwardly before holding out his own plate to Alvie "Here... I guess we can share if you'd like?" he offered, his voice getting a bit quiet.

Alvie smiled and took the plate from Dante's hand. She put the plate on her legs, since she was sitting with her legs crossed, and tore the pizza in half as best as she could. "You're right, he deserved it. Guess it shows how 'tough' he is." Alvie said, raising an eyebrow as she made her joke. Lifting up her hand, Alvie held the half of the pizza to Dante and smiled. "Thanks, once again." she said, laughing a bit, her cheeks tinting a light pink. Even though she was happy, Alvie felt the slight pain on her shoulder blade, just remembering that she had gotten hit. "Sometimes I wonder how I actually became Antonio's punching bag." she said, sighing and looking at the ground, focusing on a single blade of grass. It was a little fuzzy, but Alvie could just barely remembered how it all started out.

@york

Dante sat down next to Alvie a little closer than he usually would have sat down next to someone else, watching as Alvie remarkable enough tore the pizza slice in half rather accurately for his standards... Perhaps it was because he'd never tried to split a pizza slice in half himself yet. He nodded smiling a little as Alvie did too thanking him, she laughed again, something he had always enjoyed seeing, her laugh was different from any other laugh he'd ever heard before, almost like an angels, just then though he noticed Alvie was wincing a little before she spoke some more. She seemed to be trying to recall how Antonio originally had started bullying her, to tell himself the truth, he wondered the same... Antonio was always such a jerk, but his reason for being that was escaped him. "I wonder that too sometimes... Well, I was more like his "errand boy" I guess..." He said, looking a big embarrassed.

"Well, I would rather be an errand boy than somebody who hits people weaker than them." Alvie said, smiling when Dante sat next to her. She took in a deep breath and looked up at the sky, the sunlight lighting the sky. "I guess...some people are just too ignorant to see the beauty and different qualities in other people. They want to see the weak kids suffer because of the their happiness. The thought always made me upset, because unfortunately, I'm one of those weaker kids. So, because of Antonio, I wasn't allowed to be happy. If I even expressed one sign of being happy, I'd get a beating from his gang." Alvie turned her auburn eyes from the sky and took a bite of the pizza, memories of her tortured past running through her head. "But, now, I can finally be happy. No, not just that. I want to be happy again." she said, turning to look at Dante as she said that. A small laugh escaped her and she shook her head, her smile growing. "Wow, I've forgotten how great it was to laugh and smile." Alvie said as she stared at the trees ahead of her.

@york

Dante thought for a moment, recalling how bad Antionio wanted him back into his little "gang" thinking he was going to forgive him for all that he did "I just think he's jealous whenever he sees you happy... After all, when have you seen him smile in a non-hostile way..." Dante mused, talking to himself more than anything... Then, he turned towards Alvie realizing he'd said more than he wanted to, blushing a little, wondering if she had heard him mumble. "I really do hope he's learned his lesson though... I'm tired of him finding some way to make things miserable for us..." He said quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.