So Close, Yet So Far...*Serpentine and york*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alvie let the whole thing sink in, but surprisingly wasn't angry. She just replied with an "oh" and watched him stand up. He looked like he was in pain, and she realized that she had the same class as him as well. She stood up quickly and instantly regretted it, a major throb running throughout her whole body. "Wait, don't you think we need to go to the nurse first? We won't be able to make it to next period at this pace anyway, and you don't look like you're doing so good." she said quietly, walking slowly after him, but managing to catch up. Every few steps, Alvie winced, the movement feeling like it was rattling her brain.

@york

Dante nodded slowly "I guess so... Hope they excuse us." he said quietly, he looked back at Alvie who was catching up... She didn't seem to be doing so good either "Need any help?" he asked her still feeling his arm throb quite considerably as they continued walking, he made sure to slow his pace enough so that Alvie could keep up with him. He looked down the hall at the nurses office which wasn't too far from the at the moment wondering if she had even recieved the news about what happened to them, it did take a while for what the security reported to the office to circulate around properly.

"Ah, maybe..." she said, clenching her eyes shut a little. She opened them again and turned towards Dante. "Thanks, for back there." she said, feeling like she should tell him that. Alvie looked ahead and saw the nurse's office down the hall. She sucked in a breath of air and matched Dante's pace, occasionally looking around, nervous that the boys would come back, even though she knew they wouldn't.

@york

"I-It's nothing..." Dante said sheepishly offering Alvie a supporting hand "I should be thanking you... For sticking up for me back there..." he added quietly looking around briefly before continuing on to the nurses office. He noticed Alvie looked a little nervous herself "It's alright... They won't be back for a while... That's how they are." he said trying to reassure her.

Alvie grabbed Dante's hand and felt relief run through her. She gave a half smile at him and nodded. "It wasn't much. Just seeing somebody getting hit like I do makes me upset. I never want that to happen to anybody. I have too many scars and bruises to remind me how horrible it is, so to have someone hit like that...I don't like it." she said, turning her gaze ahead of her. She heard Dante tell her that they wouldn't come back. "Yeah, I kind of thought that." she said softly, but she felt a little more relaxed as her shoulders loosened. Up ahead, the nurse's office was coming closer, and Alvie looked up at the clock. They were already five minutes late anyway, so any excuse would'n't have been taken seriously.

@york

Dante felt a little strange when Alvie grabbed his hand, it wasn't like he hadn't held hands with someone before but... He couldn't think about it too much, he was just glad that Alvie was a little calmer than she was before, the nurses office was right in front of them by now so there really wasn't any turning back, they were already late anyways. Opening the door cautiously with his bruised hand, he realized his mistake too late, gritting his teeth as pain shot up his arm, he didn't say anything though despite stopping a little bit before he entered the nurses office.

Alvie's eyes widened as Dante grabbed the doorknob, the pain evident on his face. She let go of his hand and helped him push the door open so that he wouldn't struggle to use his arm. Then she walked inside and saw the nurse turn her head towards them. Alvie realized that the situation might have looked bad, so she opened her mouth to say something, but the nurse cut her off. "Hi, what can I do for you?" she asked sweetly, her black curls bouncing as she made her way towards them. Alvie closed her mouth and just stood there. When it came to people she didn't know, she was awkward. Alvie lifted her hand and pressed it against her head slightly, the throbbing hitting against her palm slightly. "We're here about..." Alvie trailed off, trying to put the situation that had happened before into words. She could have said 'fight' but she was afraid that Dante and her would both be in trouble for being in a fight.

@york

Dante smiled a little, gratefull for Alvies help with getting the door open, his arm still throbbed a little from the recent pain but he didn't mind it too much. He'd never visited the nurse too so he was a little unaccustomed to the kindness that almost seemed to radiate from her. Looking over towards Alvie, she seemed rather awkward, and was having a little trouble speaking, she talked but stopped short, unsure of what to say... Dante wasn't sure himself, but he knew someone had to speak up "We just need a little tending to..." he said quietly, he wasn't going to elaborate on what had happened too much just yet...

The nurse nodded at Dante and grabbed Alvie's arm, pulling her onto a bed. "Okay, so, what hurts?" she asked, eyes sparkling. Alvie was a little taken aback and hesitated before responding. "U-Uh, the side of my head." she said, pointing to the throbbing area on her head. The nurse nodded and pressed her hand against it, receiving a gasp of pain from Alvie. The nurse's eyes widened and she lessened the pressure. "Sorry..." she said softly, furrowing her brow. "Okay...you seem to have some bad bruising, but otherwise, nothing too terrible. Are you allowed to take medication, or can you call a parent to give you admission to take medicine?" she asked. Alvie nodded and stood, walking to the nurse's phone and dialing her parents. Closing her eyes, she listened as her mom answered the phone. "Mom, am I allowed to take some medicine for a headache?" she asked, a little hesitant. Her mom started raising her voice in a panic state, causing Alvie to pull the phone away from her ear. "No, mom, I'm fine. Okay? Calm down, it wasn't like I was hit by a train or anything." she said sarcastically. She waited as her mom eventually gave her permission before hanging up the phone. "She said I could." Alvie finally said, taking the bottle of Ibuprofen from the nurse. She took two of them and watched as the nurse directed Dante to the bed. "Same with you, what hurts?" she asked him.

@york

Dante looked particularly worried when he realized how bad Alvie was hurting, thankfully enough though it was just some bruising, not a concussion or something... There was also painkillers for that but of course school policy dictates that you need parental permission, it seemed what had happened here worried Alvies mother quite alot even though she did agree. Then when the nurse turned to him, he just pointed to his arm not wanting to move it or touch it just incase he broke something, however he doubted it was that bad, maybe a bruise or a fracture at the most. Though that didn't mean his arm wasn't hurting, the pain was mild at the moment thankfully since he wasn't moving his arm much, but he was uncertain how long this brief moment of relief from it would last.

The nurse nodded and lightly grabbed his arm, rotating it slowly and as gently as she could. Alvie watched from the side, hoping nothing bad was wrong with Dante's arm. She jumped when she heard a pop come from Dante's arm, her eyes widening. The nurse nodded and held out the bottle of ibuprofen. "It seems that your shoulder was dislocated. It's back in place now, but I need your parental allowance to take medication." she said, smiling. Alvie smiled a little, relieved that his arm wasn't broken.

@york

Last edited by a moderator:
Dante grunted, sucking in air through his teeth as the nurse started rotating it slowly until a loud popping noise came from his arm... Pain shot from the spot and he heard a ringing noise in his ears, but after a moment of dizziness, the pain was still there, but he could move his arm more freely without too much trouble. When the nurse told him he needed parental permission to take medication he just nodded "My parents sent in a form allowing it... I think I'm good." he explained, inspecting his arm to see if any collateral damage had been caused when his arm had been popped back into its socket.

Alvie felt the effects of the medication kicking in, the throbbing going down to a dull thud. She walked towards the nurse and Dante, holding onto her backpack. She watched as he rolled his arm around, checking it. The nurse turned to Alvie and smiled, starting to push her out of the nurse's office. "Okay, now you two head back to class. I'll send an e-mail to your teacher. What class are you two in right now?" she asked. Alvie hesitated before answering since she was being moved towards the door. "History, Mrs. King." she replied, turning to look at the nurse. The nurse smiled and nodded. "Okay, I'll send the e-mail straight to him, now go on!" she urged, Alvie stumbling as she was practically pushed out of the office. She stumbled over her feet, but regained her balance. She watched as the nurse started doing the same thing to Dante.

@york

Last edited by a moderator:
As the pain started to go away Dante sighed a little, his arm was still a little sore but now he could move it around just fine, he was ushered out of the nurses office after that along with Alvie being informed that they've been excused. "I guess we better head off to class before we miss too much..." He said starting to walk, he waited for Alvie to catch up with him however, he felt it would be for the best if they stuck together, after all; who knew when Antonio and his group that's always right behind him would strike again. After what he did, he doubted he was part of it anymore, it didn't really matter since he had just about had enough of it anyways... Even if it meant he'd be relatively alone again, he couldn't afford to get dragged back into that mess another time.

Alvie nodded as Dante said that they should be getting to class. She watched as he started walking and went to catch up to him. As they continued to walk, Alvie stuck closer to Dante, hoping that Antonio and the others wouldn't come back. She knew she should have been mad at him for being a bully from before, but she couldn't. He was like her, in some ways, except he was allowed to fit in as long as he did what they asked. Alvie on the other hand, wasn't allowed to join anybody. They knew she was always picked on and avoided her because they were afraid of getting the same consequence as her. Alvie lifted a hand and put a loose strand of ginger hair behind her ear, her amber eyes scrolling the halls for the History classroom.

@york

It felt strange walking to class with only one person as company, but Dante actually liked it this way; Alvie didn't push him around, make him do things that he didn't want, and constantly berate him only saying it was a joke after... She was actually pretty docile, and not really such a bad person once you get to know her, only, most people valued their "reputation" around the more popular individuals over proper friendships nowadays. Thinking back, Dante himself had been like that as well, except he was pretty much "cannon fodder" for them, he really did wish he had seperated from them sooner, that way he wouldn't have to feel guilty for what he had done to keep his place there.

Alvie had a fleeting thought, and looked up at Dante. "What was it like? Helping them bully me?" she asked with a raised eyebrow. The question didn't bother her, but she wanted to know why. It was like trying to reach an itch that was out of reach. She just wanted an honest answer, to see if he felt different about bullying than Antonio and the others. Alvie knew the question might have been more straight-forward than she usually is, but it had just popped in her head. Another memory popped in her head, and it was the time when the group, as well as Dante, had circled around Alvie, watching as Antonio was beating her.

@york

Dante wasn't expecting the question Alvie just asked him, but he answered it as honestly as he could "Well... Almost torturous... Mostly did it whenever they asked me... I kind of hang back alot of the time..." Dante went silent for a moment, remembering what he had done earlier today. "I guess sometimes I lead them away from the people they bully... Even I can take so much... You know?" He added, his voice was very quiet now, just barely above a whisper, he regretted standing by and watching all the time when Alvie was being bullied now, it was always something that haunted him for days on end... Perhaps the guilt just finally was too much for him today or something, he wondered if the others felt the same way as he did though.

Alvie's eyes widened and she nodded, understanding what he was saying. "So, you only did it to fit in? It must have been nice to be able to call somebody a friend, even if they did bad things. I would never do those things, but that's because I'm okay with being independent. I'm fine with standing on my own, no matter how many hits I take." As Alvie said it, she felt something inside her. Something that she didn't add. 'But it would've been nice to have someone there for me' she thought, casting her eyes to the ground. She knew that dreams for herself were out of reach, but she was too stubborn to just stop reaching and sit down, admitting defeat. She was the one who was going to keep standing on her tip-toes, grasping her hand out into thin air until the dream came to her.

@york

"I guess I just wanted company..." Dante said quietly, he walked in silence, listening to Alvie talk some talking himself after she was done "Since I'm permanently "fired" from my job as their "cannon fodder"... I'll try and look out for you next time they show up." he said as confidently as he could. He wasn't too sure what he'd do next time, but he'd think of something, even if it meant he'd be injured again, he owed at least that much to Alvie, but perhaps that wasn't the only reason he was doing this, but if so, what other reasons would he have?

Status
Not open for further replies.