*Snow-Fallen Zombies* 2.0

Grigori sat, his back against the wall, his face set, his eyes locked on the stairwell.... he'd saved her... not more than 3 hours ago he'd saved her. And then he'd thrown her life away. It flashed before his eyes, just the same as the day he'd lost his sister... he'd been cocky.. he'd been ready to hold them off.. he'd kept as many as he could behind himself, Isaac, and Mark *who's name he'd only learned as Natasha came screaming down the stairs* It hadn't been much of a distraction.. but it was enough. Just enough for the monsters to slip by, just enough for them to get a hold of Ib, even more damning.. he'd held Mark back... Grigori had seen it.. the horror written all over the girls face.. the pleading in her eyes... and all he'd done was cut their losses... he'd all but dragged the man away and up the stairs... It was his fault.

Grigori let his guard down and someone died. That's how it was.. hell that's how it had been for his sister too. This girl he'd barely known and he let her down. He let her die... Not Again. No self pity. No loathing. No rage. Cold clarity was what he needed. He wouldn't let another die without him at least knowing them enough to mourn their loss. His back straight as a board, his eyes dark with remorse, he turned his back on those stairs that that young girl had never managed to reach, and he moved on.

Slowly he made his way around the group of survivors taking a moment to speak with each, to raise spirits where he could, to comfort those who needed it, and giving privacy to those who obviously wished it... As the man began to speak Grigori's feet brought him to Isaac's side... at least the man spoke sense. They needed weapons, speaking of which..." Excuse me friend... id like my axe back." His voice was pleasant, as sweet as the man could make it.. but without the axe Grigori was getting nervous. He held his hand out and nodded his thanks as the weapon was once more placed into his grasp," I just wish one of us had been able to use it...." His mind spiraled back to the lost girl.. would he have been wild enough to wade into a fight with those creatures if he'd had his weapon? No... no.. he was too sensible for that and he knew it...

Next he went to find Mark... hed seen the mans face... he knew what he was thinking.. but he was not at fault.. After asking around a bit one of the other police.. Natasha.. the girl whod charged down the steps so recklessly, pointed him in the right direction.. the commissioners office. He barely bothered to knock before he moved into the room, his large shadow almost blanketing the room in darkness.. but he could see the man he was looking for sitting on the couch, his mind obviously far away... Grigori moved into the room quickly, plopping down beside the young officer with a comfortable ease that belied the horror of the last few hours... He watched Marks face and he could see it.. the man was shutting down. Locking himself away... LIKE HELL.

Grigori stopped in front of the man, his breathing slow, his movements deliberate, and stared into Marks eyes.... "Hell." Grigori turned away from him for a second, letting himself fall back into the couch with a companionable huff, his large body taking up much of the couch arms draped across the back.. and he just sat there. Giving up a few more precious seconds for the officer to think, before speaking up," We been through hell man.... Ive been in this town, what 5 hours? And ive seen more horrors than ive so much as imagined in my worst nightmares. I need to know man... what happened? And when your finished with that shit I need to know somethin else.. how the hell are you holding up?" He rested one big hand on Marks shoulder and squeezed lightly, reassuringly, and hoped the man would find the strength to speak.

Too absorbed into his own self loathing, Mark didn't even notice Grigori enter the office of his commanding officer. He'd only realize that someone else was in the room with him when the large man sat down next to him on the couch Nat had put into her office just for her to relax on hard days on the job. He was surprised to see Grigori's face and looked at him with a plane face, bag under his eyes. After hearing what he had to say, what he had to ask, Mark remained silent for a moment, then answered him in a silent, grieving tone, "... All of this happened three, four days ago... The morning before all of this shit came to our small village started as any other. People shoveling out their driveways, getting ready to either leave to their jobs in the big city outside of the mountains or just get some food supplies and head back deeper into them, kind of like you, Grigori..." He looked to him with a smile and said, "What, you thought I didn't recognize you? I remember all of the faces of this city, we're all friends here, Grig." Saying that made him laugh for a moment then realize what he had, and frowned to what he had said, "..." He didn't want to awnser his second, last question because he didn't want this man to worry about his emotions. But, alas, he answered anyway, "I'm holding pretty badly, seeing how I was to blame for that girl's demise... I told every single person in our group from the clinic that I would protect them while they made it up the stairs... and I failed them... I'm not fit to be a leader."

Three or four days... and it was already this bad? "Damn.." Grigori's voice barely rose above a whisper and Mark didnt even hear it.. too engrossed in his own words to notice... It was a surprise when the officer said his name... a wonder that hed bothered to learn it, Grigori had never had trouble with the law... well besides a brawl or two.. but still, friends? Grigori had been alone for a long time.. his family dead.. even before, when hed been in school with other kids, hed always been the dark one, big, scary. And even as hed become older, people still treated him the same.

And now, in the midst of horror, this man calls him a friend? Heh...." Guess hell has a way of bringing people together eh?" The laugh was a little reassuring but it quickly faded, Marks face turning dark again, and his words seemed to tumble out.... Shoulda held that tidbit in... Grigori's ire rose, his voice taking on a clipped steely tone," Mark, if were gonna be friends ill tell you this right now... Ib's death was MY fault... I saved her life once.. only to sacrifice it the next time... I was cocky.. I took the initiative.... I tried to be the leader... at the time you werent in charge... this was my fault.. and ill be damned if Ill let you tear yourself up for it." At the end Grigori's voice had almost reached a growl, a dark undertone seething through his body.

Asami, who was about to shoot, heard the screaming of a little girl that made her put her bow down. W-who was that..? W-why do I feel so sad..? She doesn't know the girl, yet she felt sadness. That's one of Asami's weaknesses. She would not know one single thing about you yet, she'll feel bad for you. Should I check and look at what's going on..? It's not my business though.. yet I feel bad! She heard something tell her to back off. She slowly backed off and went inside her cell. She locked it, hoping no one would notice her. She looked at the people for a short moment before they ran down to check on the girl. Should I stay here or check what's going on..? She took a moment to think about it. She just sat down in the dark corner of her cell and stayed there, silent, motionless. She felt horrible for not checking, but whatever told her to back off said she did the right thing. She doesn't know what it was, but she did take a note to that.

A few minutes pass, she hasn't talked to any of the members. Something, like her "inner self" or "conscience", was telling her, "Go say hi!" or "Befriend them!" Yet at the same time, something told her "Don't... It's too risky" So she just sat there, seeing if they would notice her in the dark, dark, cell. Should now be the time I get up to say hi..? I should really check if they're okay.. She got up and walks to the cell bars, she looked around to see someone. She opened her mouth but nothing came out. No.. Not now... Few more minutes... She walked back to the corner and sat down again. She let out a sigh. I'll say hi.... Just... Not now. Maybe in a few more minutes. Heh... I said that 3 times haven't I? She let out a smile that didn't show happiness, but sadness and loneliness.

Mark looked at Grigori with frustration and anger, his legs fidgeting to stand but he ignored them as he looked to him with rage in his eyes. "You weren't the one who left the girl behind to get snatched from under your grasp. You saved her once and it was up to me to save her this time around, and I failed. All Right? I FAILED!" Standing in rage, he grasped the collar of the big man and pulled him up to his feet, pulling him to the left toward the door and slammed in against the wall of Natasha's office. Mark knew that Grigori was a lot stronger then him, but in his rage and how fast he had him against the wall, it was hard for anyone to react to what he had done. "It's no one else fault but mine, I wasn't there when she needed me the most. I failed, and I couldn't... I couldn't take the shot." Loosening his grip around the collar of his shirt, he begins to lose him self in sorrow of a lost one and slowly fall onto Grigori under no control of his own. His knees quivered from under his own weight as he held him self with Grigori's shirt as he continued in sobbed tones, "... I failed... I fucking failed her... It I were to of paid more attention to her... she might still be here."

Jonah gave himself a few minutes to recompose himself before going around the room, he noticed a girl hiding in the back corner of a cell. He thought about talking to her but decided he'd move around a bit more before going back to her, she seemed a bit preoccupied at the moment probably trying to coupe with this nightmare. Sadly it didn't look like anyone he knew was here, a knot started growing in his stomach at the thought of them being turned or eatin alive by the monsters roaming the town.

Out of nowhere he heard a loud banging sound come from one of the police offices, he went to check it out pipe in hand poised to swing if it was one of those things. He moved quitely raising the pipe higher as he got closer, he eased his head in slightly just barely peeking in. Mark had Grigoripinned up against the wall a mix of fury and depression painted his face, Jonah relaxed his grip on the pipe. Jesus they scared me....now is not the time to be fighting, he wanted to break them up but decided not to. Better for them to get through this while they were safe inside than take the chance of it coming back up while they were outside....if they ever went back outside....hopefully not any time soon.

The air thrummed with barely controlled violence as Mark's roiling emotions finally burst free, Grigori could see them clearly, etched in every new line of the young mans face... fear, regret, guilt.... and anger.. anger at the world that had allowed such horror. All of it bubbling up and rolling across the poor man... But still Grigori could understand, every emotion that his new-found friend was feeling, Grigori felt. All that guilt.. all that impotent rage... but he held it in check. He waited. He let Mark burn himself out, only letting his feelings show as the other man slumped into himself, his hands still clenching Grigori's shoulders fiercely.

The big man lifted his own hands and, gently, brushed away Marks trembling fingers.... With a low growl he grabbed tightly to the smaller mans shirt and lifted him into the air so that their eyes would meet, he could see it all in the mans eyes, and, just for a moment, he let down his facade of determination to let the burning agony of his own emotion flash within his eyes and his voice rang out like the stinging lash of a whip," Alright then. Yes It was YOUR fault. You, a COP, should have ruthlessly shot a little girl in the skull. Ill let you feel the shame of that. Ill let you feel responsible for her pain.. but brother. You aint alone." Grigori's eyes softened a touch and he lowered the man so that the tips of his toes could reach the floor once more," I swore to myself... I Swore that I wouldnt let anyone else die if I could help it. She wasnt just pulled out from under you... NO ONE saw it coming. Its All of our faults. And as I said before Ill be damned if ill let you tear yourself up about it."

His grin was dark and pained as he held Mark's eyes with his own," Were all responsible for each other now... each death will be on every one of our shoulders, Yeah? So... get your ass in gear bud... we need you operational, we need everyone operational. We both need to get out there. Theyre tired, theyre afraid, and they need something to hold them strong.... I dont know about you, but I will be a pillar if needed. Ill hold as many of them up as I can, Ill carry the bastards if I have too. But I cant handle it alone." Finally he loosened the his grip on Mark's uniform letting the man slide to his knees on the floor before slowly leaning down to look the man full in the face," You with me?"

Natasha did something quie peculiar for someone in her predicament. She slept. Stress was excrutiatingly, exhausting in her case. Usually someone in her situation would be constantly kept away do to strict nerves. Not Nat. She felt completly calmed where she was sleeping right about now. Right in Jarry's warm lap. After some gloomy socializing she and her partner had taken refuge in the lounge, away from all of the drama. Natasha insisted on checking on Mark but Jarry wouldn't let her. "Men need their space Nat. You've just gotten him back alive, now don't suffocate him." That was his argument. It didn't sit well with her but it was deemed true enough.

Natasha slept peacefully in Jarry's lap, he insisted on it for whatever reason. He even hummed a little tune to make her comfortable. He was being oddly thoughtdul but Natasha paid no attention.

Reactions: 1 person
Desiree was busily trying not to think about the loss that the group had experienced, knowing full well that they all needed to have their wits about them and that grief could come later, assuming there was a later. Her mind was still sluggish, disconcerted but adapting to the situation at hand. She was sitting on the very edge of a table, fingers grasping loosely at the heavy jacket the bulky lumberjack had thrown at her earlier. Their builds were very different; he was at least a foot taller than her, a lot more built than her as a result of his work, and considerably broader in the shoulders, so his jacket dwarfed her frame as a result.

She glanced round, attempting to take a cursory note of the others and assess if they needed her attention, but with her still a little rattled and getting her bearings the attempts were rather fruitless. Her eyes kept flitting back to her previous companions, pausing occasionally to size up Grigori before darting away to avoid being caught in her observations.

"I wonder if there's any protocol for dealing with something of this nature..." She spoke out loud without meaning to, though she was obviously speaking to herself. "You'd think with the number of movies about this there would be some sort of procedure in place..."

Issac looked out the window, trying to cope with the recent death. He was alone and on the second floor. He needed his privacy for now. He was to sad to deal with it. After a while he sucked it up. He got off his chair and started to walk in the main room to converse with the other people in the party. He needed a plan to get out of here. It looked to be that there were at least some people who know how to use a gun. And they were a friend of mark's. He held Grigori's axe in his hands, still getting used to the way it feels and it's weight. "Okay guys, we need a plan to get out of here. Right now we have access to better weapons but if we don't use them, the undead will surround us quickly. We have to act fast, but rationally."