*Snow-Fallen Zombies* 2.0

Desiree had barely finished her food when EJ choked on his own and launched into a coughing fit. She was at his side in a matter of seconds, smacking his upper back with the heel of her hand. The action was meant to dislodge whatever was lodged in his throat. Given he'd only been eating a sandwich she fully expected this first, most basic measure to be enough and sure enough she was right. Crisis hopefully averted, she returned to her desk and snatched up the still half-full glass of water, handing it over to him.

"You all right? Drink that, it should help wash down anything else in your throat..." She smiled at him. "You get lost in thought or something?" She eyed him carefully after pressing the glass into his hands, wanting to be sure he drank it and didn't begin choking once more.

"uh..." was the response of Issac as Ib pulled out his poker cards and offered him a game. Issac hadn't really played poker much in his life. Sure, he had played with some friends on the odd night but he was no master. He decided to humor the kid and accept his offer of a poker game. Issac took the cards rather slowly and shuffled them making a shoosh then thwip sound.

"I guess I'll deal." Issac finished shuffling the cards and was already handing the cards out by the time he said it. He placed down the three cards in the middle face down and checked his cards. He put his cards back down and schooled his face into a neutral, bored look. It said nothing ,nor revealed any emotion as to what cards he had.

The wad of sandwich went down difficultly, but went down nevertheless. He clutches the water she had given him and downs it quickly, not taking a breath in between gulps. He gasps, catching his breath, and when he does, he apologizes and thanks the woman. He forces himself to look right into her eyes as he speaks, "I uh... Uh. Y-yeah." He sputters. His eyes had fallen, but he forces them back to her face. "I'm sorry, again. I, er... Thanks." I need to get out of here. He grips his gun looking around to see if others had witnessed and when he sees the coast is clear, he turns to walk away quickly.

He makes his way back to his nook and finishes eating his sandwich.

Ib was as new to poker as a pig was to eating. Of course, she could keep a very good poker face at all times. " Small blind big blind?" she suggested quietly, liking how he could keep a good poker face. She peered at his eyes with a look that could unsettle most people. " How is your luck today, Issac? Has fortune smiled upon you today?"

~A few moments have passed...~

There was a silence before the storm, the banging calmed and became lightly tapping. They didn't even have enough time to react when they came through the windows and front loby door. It was brutal, the rotted faces of loved ones pushing them selves through any entrence they could find to get to the people they once knew. The survivers who whitnessed this screamed in terror and ran to the back of the clinic. The local story clurk was trying to open the bolted back door, pulling at the nob as hard as he could. It was too late because the door pushed open on him and caused him to fall down, with about five of them to land ontop of him. He yelled in terror as he was torn asunder, ripped to shreds by his former customers. They were blocked in from all sides and the space to run around in began to slowly enclose apon the kitchen and upstairs. In the kitchen, there were five surivivers, armed with anything they could find, knifes, pans. A cutting board smashed into a million pieces onto the face of one of these infected. It didn't do much.

Thoughs who ran up stairs broke the windows, trying to get out. When they escaped, they jumped into the fluffy snow and ran from the clinic into the burning city before them. One's leg was cought in the snow, which caused him to tip. He looked back and saw a hand reaching out of the 6 insh deep snow and slowly lengthen its self into an arm, then a shoulder and then the upper part of the human body, that was all. The torso crawled apon him and feasted till his hearts consent as they were burried underneath the falling snow from above.

Our characters remain in the upstairs storage closet where they were last, playing their hands of poker when all of this broke down. They have to chose, run or fight? They only have a limited time to make their choise and if they pick wrongly, they could posibly lose a member.

The choice is yourse...~

Issac was in the middle of laying down his cards after going all-in when he heard the screams of terror. These screams were definitely real as they had some death gurgles thrown in there. He knew immediately what to do. He let go of his cards and they fell to the ground, both face up showing two aces. He didn't have time to be concerned with that trivial thing. He ran out the door beckoning for the people in his immediate vicinity to follow him. "C'MON GUYS! WE HAVE TO GO NOW! I KNOW THE WAY!"

I led them to a window facing the adjacent building. He was sure one of them would want to protest. He didn't want that but maybe they're plan might be better than mine. We were defenseless so I decided to wait for one to speak up or do something.

Mark grapsed Issacs arm and pulled him back through the door, away from the window. From what had happened and how fast it did, he didn't know what to do but the thing he was about to. He pushed both Ib and Issac into the bedroom of the late docter, where the nurse was hidding out, taking her nap apon thebed and resting. He closed the door behind him layed his back against it. He looked at issac and shouted, "Help me prop this door close!" He could hear foot steps going up the stairs, fast ones fallowed by slow, sloth like feet that dragged with each step.

When Issac took his place, Mark took this time to move away from the door and redress him self with this uniform and then his holster, wrapping it around his weighst like a belt. He looked to the nurse, Ib, and Issac, then told them, "... There should of been more..." He went to the window he allways looked out and opened it slowly, looking out twards the city as he saw what few survivers escaped running into the city. He gasped at their sight and shouted twards the, "Head to the police stasion! We'll meet you there!" his hand cupped over his mouth to project his voice.

He looked over to Issac, he didn't have a weapon. Mark knew that Ib had the tools needed to make a makeshift tool of defeanding your self so he knelt down beside her and asked, "Ib, could you make some weapons for us, we're pritty much defeancless here and when we move, we need a way to defeand our selve, got it?"

EJ sharpens his knives for the third time today. Right about now he's just annoyed, in pain and very, extremely bored. This stupid closet is giving him a back ache, there wasn't enough jelly for his fourth jelly sandwich, and he could be out there kicking some zombie ass right about now, and hot lady nurse would be so proud of him and maybe even give him a kiss. And with that last thought, he had decided that he would head out with whomever else that wanted to, first thing tomorrow morning. But first, he needed to find a room where he could get some sleep. EJ packed his stuff into his back pack, the tip of his second rifle poking out of it, and headed out the room.

EJ had been in a confident mid-stride when he heard wood breaking. He turned briefly to see what it was, but broke into a full sprint as an undead body broke through the door followed by many, many others. He cocked his gun a few too many times in the panic and tried to turn to shoot, but the trigger wouldn't budge. He squealed in terror as he made his way up the stairs, still screaming. "MARK!?" he began, remembering his friend had been on the second floor somewhere ," MARK!!" he banged on all the doors only to have them open up to empty rooms. He got to the last door on the floor and pushed and pulled at the door knob. "GUYS!?" his scream turned into a sharp falsetto as the undead began closing in. He banged harder on the door. "GUYS?! IT'S ME! IT'S EJ! LET ME IN! MARK! ?MARK!!!!!"

Desiree had shot up from her ill-timed nap when the men clattered into the room with half a mind to snap at them for disturbing her, then heard the noises of the undead and abruptly shook the sleep fog from her head. She had just hopped off the bed and turned to them for instruction when EJ started hammering wildly on the door. She groaned and pounced across the room in a few steps, only to fling the door open long enough for him to fall through. It slammed instants after he was in, and she leant against it, wondering what exactly had happened.

"Okay, two questions. One, what the hell is going on, and two, what are we going to do about it? Actually, no, don't tell me, let's just do whatever we're doing before that lot outside get through the door." Her voice was unusually tight; it only sounded like this when she was under pressure or irritated. The former was more common than the latter. She watched as Mark armed himself, regretting that she hadn't learned how to shoot or use a hunting knife. Skill with a scalpel and adeptness with medical supplies wouldn't get her far in the world outside.

"well to answer your question, zombie's have broken through and we're trapped in here. Ib's making us some weapons really quick but we got to scavenge what we can. The zombie's can get in here any minute." Issac didn't think this was the best plan. The zombies are outside this door and could break in at any minute. Those weren't good odds. Our only chance is to hope that they're too busy munching on other survivors and won't notice us. Right now we're just prolonging our deaths. Issac paced around the room trying to think of something. "Mark! Why did you drag us in here? We have to get out of the clinic, but now the zombies are all over us!"

Issac didn't like lashing out at Marks but the stress got to him. Things weren't going according to plan and he's really losing it. Issac slumps down in a corner after yelling at Mark, starting to tear. He knew it. They were dead before they were dead. They were gonna die a painful, horrible death.

"The reason I brought you two here was because this window is the only safe way down!" It pointed out twards th eopen window, it blowing snow into the room and rapidly lowering the temprature in the room. Mark walked over to it and closed it momentaraly and continued, "This window goes out to the roof of the front portch, an easy way to get to ground level without breacking our limbs. I staired out this window for a few days now and knew that if this had happned, this is the only way out safely." He stairs down Issac with a serious complection.

He looked twards Ej, who had been shouting his name all the while comming up the stairs and entering thr room. Mark took his side and placed his hand on his shoulder. He looked at his rifle and could tell it was jamed, shame, it was a pritty old rifle and it was his fathers to begin with. He told him in comfert, "I'm glad you made it out of that hell."

Ib smiled up at mark. " Knives and hammers, as well as axes? I'll be right on it." luckily, she had brought her tool kit along with her, so there was no need to go retrieve them amidst the zombies. It would be a project done in no time.

In about ten minutes she had made crude knives and small axes. "..." she peered at mark, handing him the weapons. They would do for now. With sharp edges and a light body, they were easy to use and equally effective.

"GUYS!!!" EJ screeches, still banging on the door. Just as one of the zombies lurches forward, the door opens and EJ falls through. All of the air escapes from his chest with a loud "oof!" but he quickly scoots himself as far away from the door as possible. Mark looks to EJ, and lets him know that he's glad to see he's alright, and as EJ gets onto his feet, he puts a hand on his shoulder and looks to Mark with half lidded eyes for a few moments. "Thanks," he exhales finally. He then promptly, and rather suddenly, stumbles to the window and leans out to vomit.

He catches his breath as the others converse, but at the mention of weapons he pulls his head out of the window. He motions to his back pack, "I have another… rifle… in there," he huffs. He holds the rifle slung over his shoulder up, "This one's jammed, but I'll see if I can fix it when we get to wherever we're going." Elias takes the gun from his bag and hands it to Mark, patting him on the shoulder. He looks to him again, "Don't break it, or I'll let them…," he points to the door and then at Mark "…eat your face." He grumbles (he's obviously not in a particularly good mood) as he shuffles his way to a chair.

EJ hears something about climbing onto the porch roof at which he chimes in, "Great. Instead of being killed by zombies we're gonna slip on a foot of snow and ice and kill ourselves." EJ looks up to see disapproving glares, "…I'm sorry, I haven't smoked in over three days."

Desiree let her gaze run over the group, assessing each of them. Nobody seemed to have been caught in the time she was out; she couldn't see bites or open sores on what was visible of the companions. She assumed that was how things were spreading, since if the infection had been airborne they would have been groaning on the other side of the door by now. She let the others organise themselves in terms of weapons. She'd be the least useful with one, therefore she should wait til last to be equipped. That was normally how it worked, wasn't it?

She glanced up at EJ when he grunted his complaints about the jump. "That jump isn't any worse than a drop out of a decent-sized tree, just don't overthink it. Course if you're not convinced you could tear up the sheets and make a rope ladder thing. Assuming that works." She shrugged. She'd never been scared of heights, other than for the fact that people saw up your skirt if you were above them.

Issac was sitting in a corner of the room trying to escape the cold. He was afraid. Afraid of death, afraid of being eaten alive, and more afraid of not knowing what to do. Issac wanted to be the leader that he had to be. He took this time to stop moping around and get serious. His... no, they're lives are all on the line. Issac would be the one to get them out alive or die trying.

Issac stood up, snapping out of his weak state and ready to lead. "Alright! We need to find a way out of here. As Mark said we have to jump out the window. Now, we need to head toward the Police Station towards the center of the town. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but if we head straight for the outside, we're dead. We are horribly under manned and under equipped. The Police Station has weapons, shelter for the time being, and possibly survivors. Now, take your pick of weapons that Ib has made for us, I'll take the last pick. Any objections?"

Issac looked at the inhabitants of the room taking in all stares and hoping he didn't look like an idiot. He stood there waiting for someone to pipe up in response. He took last pick because he was proficient in all the weapons she made, axes and knives.

Mark smerked at Issac's sudden berst of leadership and nodded his head. "No objectsiions, Chief." He took the rifle given to him by EJ and checked it's casings, It was a 5 round clip 30 od 6, camoflage design. It only had one clip to spare so he didn't want to use it. Ib gave him an idea with the knife she was creating, "Ib, could you make me a long knife? perhaps a few inches longer then what you're making thoughs and perhaps only pointed, curved twards the tip." Mark's plan was to make the 30 od 6 have a bayonat attachement on the end of it's barrel, off to the side so not to interfear any kind of firing miss-haps.

They were just about ready and Mark was the first one to put his foot out the window. Issac held the door shut, the screems comming from the kitched died down to a whisper then to nothing, being replaced with painful whimpers. The pressure on the door grew too emmence as mark shouted, " Allright, time to move! Lets go, lets go!"

As if breaching an apartment building for a drug bust, Mark jumped from the window and landed on the roof, slidding down and landed on the snow bellow. He landed with a painful thus, getting the wind knocked out of him at first but then stood, realining himself then knelt down, aiming the 30 od from left to right. Me made sure to move out of the way of the other survivers who would land behind him. He did agree to the statement the nurse asked, how there should be a sheet rope to propell down, but there wasn't enough time. They were welcome to make the rope, but it had to be quick because Issac couldn't hold the door for much longer.

" Okay." She went right on the job, ignoring the moans around her. It would take a while to make, though. A block of stone was quickly and ever so carefully carved, slowly taking the shape of a long blade. She hadn't worked out the curve yet, but was half way done with sharpening the sharp end of it.

Good. It was going to be the best thing she's every crafted up to now.

EJ poked his head out of the window and watched him fall onto the porch roof and then to the snow below. EJ wasn't very fond of heights at all. He'd broken his leg from falling out of a tree when he was five, and Mark's rough (though successful) fall didn't help him out much at all. He looked at the others behind him, which was everyone, seeing he was closest to the window, and then back out the window. "Maybe... you guys should go first." He quickly stepped out of the way so the next person in line could go first.

Desiree took a slightly safer approach than Mark had, lowering herself down on the windowsill to shorten the drop. She landed smoothly enough, but paused for a long moment with a hand to her forehead before moving. Her vision was hazy. Not good. She took a few stumbling steps forward and then dropped to her knees. The snow soaked through her scrubs in seconds flat, drenching her legs.
"I don't think I feel so good..." She mumbled quietly. She concluded that the lack of sleep was clashing with the adrenaline she was being bombarded with, but didn't voice her opinion aloud. A few seconds later there was a soft thump as she lost consciousness and sank to the ground.

Up, down, rise, chop, metal splicing wood, the sound resounded through the woodlands, through the young man with his axe, comforting, mind numbing, familiar. Grigori needed this, as he always does, to keep his mind off of the world around him. To keep himself planted firmly in the land of the living. Yet all too soon his work was done, the wood hed collected earlier in the day split into nice even stacks. Inwardly he sighed lost in the knowledge that now he would be free to remember, to loose himself in a dead past.

But first he had a bit more work to do, with an effortless grace surprising in a man his size he slips down, grabbing a huge bundle of firewood in each arm and lifting them as if they were nothing but sacks of air. They pile nicely in the back of his truck, ready to be sold in the town sometime later. Its a hard job, but in a town like Neige where winter is long and hard, its one that is appreciated. Everyone needs wood here, everyone needs the warmth, and Grigori can always provide.... not that he has much else to do.

He lives alone, cooks for himself, and generally stays out of other peoples hair. Speaking of which, his wildly grumbling stomach acted as a good reminder that it must be dinnertime. His steps are brisk as he makes his way back to his little cottage in the woods with its warm fire and the little tendril of smoke curling lazily from the chimney. As he walked inside he threw his snow covered coat upon a nearby rack, his boots into the nearest corner, and took a moment to taste the soup hed left bubbling over the fire.... Thin, and tasteless, he dropped the spoon back into the pot with a grimace. Hed let his supplies run low again, nothing for it but to make a run to town for more, but hed wait, as he always does, till after dinner.

4 plates, 4 chairs, 4 places set for a family that has not been there for over 3 years. It takes all his conviction to look at each place and offer up a prayer to any god who might listen, for the souls of those who SHOULD be sitting there. One for his mother, taken by illness, a blizzard blocking her desperate husband and children from the medicine that could have saved her. One for his sister, taken by the fangs and claws of a bear, the same bear that had dug its claws into her brother before he and his father both could kill it. And one for his father, taken by grief, guzzling spirits until, at long last, his kidneys gave out.

A table of the damned it seems. His gloomy thoughts swirled, the faces of lost love spinning within the confines of watery soup, it was enough to crack his usual stoic facade, and force a dozen salty drops from his eyes.... maybe now that soup would have some flavor?

Grigori needed to get out. To escape memories of times past. Before he knew it he was up, grabbing the things he would need for a quick trip into town, keys, his pipe, tabac, matches to light them up, his large coat around his equally large shoulders, and he was out the door, nearly running for his truck.

Its not like he hadnt needed to go into town anyways, the wood in the back of his truck needed selling, he needed supplies for winter, and if he let himself admit it... he needed away from his memories. On the way he grabbed his axe and tossed it in the back seat, never know if some old lady will decide she wants her firewood chipped or split or whatever other fool thing they might think up.

-Couple hours later-

Finally the outskirts of town. Itd been an uneventful ride as always, nothing more than iced roads and the occasional animal flitting across them to bother him. But something didnt feel right, normally he might see a car passing, a hunter parked by the roadside, yet hed seen nothing of the sort. And even more unusual the town seemed empty, though with the snow picking up and piling itself in drifts all around him he was sure some would be stuck within their houses..... but still someone should be out.

It was another ten minutes before he spotted his first sign of the horror to come..... red stains in the snow, a crimson trail leading from the door of a house. Suddenly images flashed through his mind, his mother sick in bed slowly dying, the bear looming above him its teeth dripping with his sisters blood. The silence of the town was too much, something about the place too surreal. With an angry growl the young man reached into the backseat and grabbed up his axe placing it in his lap.

And then he heard it... screams in the distance. Against his better judgement he turned down the street and headed that way. The first thing he noticed was a mob in front of the clinic, they clawed at the doors and windows, crawling inside, even over each other," Must be some kind of epidemic.." Then he saw it, out the back window, figures crawling out and falling to the ground. Hed known the doctor for years, the man had patched him up when he was mauled by the bear, and, more recently, supplied him with medicines and salves to keep at the cabin in case of trouble. With luck the man had been able to escape as well... that bunch at the front looked dangerous. Grigori pulled his truck to a stop right next to the group, its well maintained parts making almost no noise.