3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
After a ridiculously balmy/snowlessOctober and November, my town just got a huge snowfall of 60 centimetres, and more still falling

School busses aren't moving, cabs aren't faring much better, and everyone with a 4wd pickup and a plow is making very good money

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A 'SNOW DAY' WHERE SNOW SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN?

Tell us about it!

I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, what is snow. I think snow is like basements, something they show on TV that doesn't actually exist.

To be serious, it's snowed down here like... twice that I can remember. The first time was actually a Christmas snow, I think, but it was only a tiny amount that was gone in a few hours. The second time I was in high school and it snowed in the night and lasted until morning. I passed a school bus that had run off the road due to the snow, and I think it went all the way to the middle of the day, but it wasn't enough to shut everything down.

But yeah it just doesn't snow down here. Freezes, yes. Hails, yes. Snow? Nope.

When it snows in the southern US, like here in Atlanta, everything pretty much shuts down. It amuses me.

My favorite snowday activity, aside from playing in it, is watching cars in the neighborhood try to drive up the hill leading out of my subdivision... only to slide back down after they get about halfway up. ;)

Oh yes; I was stuck inside my high school one year because of a blizzard.

Nothing funner than running from bored jocks who like to put you in garbage cans and send you sailing down the stairs.

Snow days, gotta love em.

In Northeast Texas, the weather is as indecisive as me on a shopping trip for clothing. (Which I never do, since I can't ever decide on anything and I never buy anything because of that)

In December alone, it has been 94F/35 C and then two days later it was 32F/0C and then three days later it was 75F/24C. Now it's 40F/4C everyday.

But here, if there is a CHANCE of snow and/or ice, most things shut down. Last Friday, most area high schools and businesses were closed, barring hospitals and police stations and other emergency services...oh, and banks. What gets me is that there was only a slight drizzle and people were panicking. The local grocery stores had run out of bread, milk, propane tanks, bath soaps and female amenities. Like I went to work (at the restaurant a town over that was still open) and when I went home to pick up some groceries about 10PM/22:00, there was NOTHING. Entire aisles were WIPED OUT.

No inclement weather, just cold weather for these last two weeks.

Even then, I hate driving. Not necessarily because I'm unskilled with driving in cold inclement weather, but because OTHER Texans do not usually drive in cold inclement weather. On the road to the community college this morning, there was a small patch of ice, no larger than the width of an average book and people were endangering other drivers by SWERVING out of it's way like it's gonna kill them or something. I almost got hit by some stupid bitch doing her makeup, chatting on the phone, eating a burger, and driving with both FEET. FEET. FEET ON THE STEERING WHEEL.

Oh, Texas.

Reactions: Torsty
Yes. A couple years ago when I was still living in Washington, there was a snow storm bad enough that there were power outages everywhere. Lots of people couldn't go to work, there was no school for several days, and it was hella dangerous to go out there just to walk to the mailbox.

This was a big deal for the people of my hometown. When it snows, everyone panics. No one knows how to drive in it, the schools get closed down when it snows a mere inch, the buses run late... >__> You can imagine the widespread panic from a storm, I'm sure.

Back in '93 there was a blizzard in my home town that cut power to my house for a week. That was the average time for most households before the power came back on. There were, however, many others who continued living in the dark for while. Mom cooked all of our meals on the wood stove and Dad had to dig a trench through the snow from the house to the woodshed. I remember that the walls of the trench seemed so much higher than my head and that when I crawled up the side I could see just the very top of my swingset in the distance above the snow.

Mom and Dad tried teaching me to play ROOK, a card game all the adults played. I must have been really good since they never played again after that. Then at night Dad would snooze in his chair while me and mom sat at the kitchen table and read books by kerosene lantern and candle light. Even after the power came back on we didn't see a snow plow for at least another week. I don't remember when the schools finally opened back up.

I learned later that there had been helicopters dropping food in parts of the county. Thankfully my folks used to can a lot of veggies and some meats, so we weren't hard pressed for anything except bath water.

• Love
Reactions: Torsty and Minibit
Around here, unless it's blizzard conditions and 40+ mph of wind, we don't get a snow day.

Last time I had a snow day was last week, when we couldn't get out to the job site. I sat in my hotel room and slept the day away.

It's pretty common here in Chicagoland; partly because we usually have one major show-stopping snowstorm a year and partly because people seem to forget how to drive in the fucking snow as soon as spring rolls around. ._.

No. Put on winter tires and/or chains(for buses), the problem is solved.

EDIT: And drive after the conditions.

Reactions: 2 people
I live in Sweden, and it doesn't matter how much it snows, nothing ever closes because of it. Sometimes the buses and trains stops moving because it gets too cold. Yeah, too cold. Not too much snow, but because it's too cold. Apparently in Stockholm (the capital city) they were stupid enough to build buses and trains which came from a country that doesn't get as cold weather as we do, so they weren't made for the cold in the same way. So -20 degrees and they won't start up (Happens every year). And it's only in Stockholm and the cities around it that has SL trains and buses. It made it really funny to go to school in the winter sometimes, because people that came from my town always were able to get to school since we had LT buses instead of SL, but everyone from Stockholm was either late or couldn't show up during certain days. xD

So half my school got snow days (or cold days) while I had to sit nicely in my seat and study. xb We are too used to snow here to stop everything, maybe it happens now and then further up in the country where they actually can get snowed into there homes, but it never happens where I am. I have been going to school in the middle of a blizzard, that's totally normal here. It's just to put on warm clothes and start walking. :9

Central Texas. Any snow, or ice on the roads, shuts everything down. It was 33 and raining, so the news advised everyone stay home. Back in eighth grade it snowed almost three inches deep, so my mom came and got me from school so I could have snowball fights and make snowmen. It melted after like, an hour. But she didn't make me go back, so I guess it counts as a victory.

When I lived with Fluffy in Washington it snowed and people called it a blizzard. Since it snows only once every ten years everyone thought a new ice age was coming. The town shut down and people stockpiled food and rationed water in hopes of surviving the long, endless winter years. It made getting the mail fun though.

Nothing shuts down Alberta. Seriously, I've only ever seen the bus routes shut down a few times, and the schools and such always stayed open. Mostly it was due to poor visibility, blizzards and the such.

For anything to actually close down all depends on the temperature. Snow has nothing to do with it. The temperature needs to drop to at least -45 without windchill (apparently that's -49F for the yanks.) and -55 with windchill (-67F)

Back when I lived in east Tennessee, yes. I loved loved loved having snow days. I hated going to school and snow days were a day that I didn't have to fake being sick in the winter. :D We got about 5 a winter season really. The only time the snow actually really was super scary was the blizzard of like ...93? Anyway, that was awesome though. Cold and scary but awesome.

I live in Michigan so snow days are quite familiar to me. When we get storms overnight, which is regularly in the winter months, they cancel class the previous day. People here absolutely hate going out when a storm hits, so before it does, the grocery stores are typically packed like the apocalypse is going to strike. It's quite nice not having to leave your house. I just had two days off last week as well.