Smut: What’s the Appeal?

F

F0XTR0T

Original poster
Erm, I do hope this is the right place for this... and that this is a valid and not entirely stupid question... but, um... seeing as it is allowed here, I've always been curious...

What is the appeal of writing smut?

The reason I ask is simple... I think. I just never found the idea of writing smut (I.E sexual interactions between characters) well, appealing, when a simple timeskip/fade to black would be enough. The idea is still gotten across yet without the explicit details. Is it a personal taste/preference, or is there something more that I'm missing?

Hope I don't sound stupid for asking, eep... >_<

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
Nah, this isn't a silly question, lots of people don't see the appeal. It's definitely a personal preference thing, but I've heard many reasons why people enjoy writing smut.

The first and most obvious is that the human sex drive is wild and in the modern day and age people seek to satisfy it in all sorts of ways. As far as writing smut goes, this reason can explain a lot ranging from people who do straight up cybering for the sake of physical gratification to folks who write characters doing sexual things and don't use it for any sort of masturbatory purposes. People just naturally tend to be interested in sex, and writing is a way to play with those inclinations in a relatively safe and easy way.

Another big reason is that it's fun in exactly the same ways as writing other kinds of scenes. The mechanics and the goal may be different, but it's not that far off from writing a fight scene and focusing on the specific actions taken. The only reason it is treated as some shockingly different thing is silly social attitudes about sex being something shameful that should not be spoken of.

Smut can also be used to further the plot or character development in more ways than just noting that characters had sex. There can be nuances and subtleties that change a lot, just the same as there can be in a conversation, so actually writing out the scene gives room to play with that. One of my 1x1 roleplays uses this very heavily because the characters can't openly do normal relationship things and are just meeting at night for these taboo trysts, and we've had so much legitimate development stuff come from these sex scenes that we half-jokingly say the sex is the plot.

There are more, but I think that is enough to get the point across. Smut isn't something that is mandatory for a any story by any means, but it's fun and it allows more options.

It's not for everyone:) I don't enjoy reading or writing it, as I always find it mechancial/clinical at best, embarrassing at worst... but I can see why there'd be a draw or appeal.

Basically just what Asta said. And I'd add for some folks there's also something a little forbidden about it that I imagine attracts... Sort of like that kid stealing a cookie from the cookie jar vibe.

But there's plenty of people who get the same feels from a good fade to black. Nothing wrong with that if that's you :) To each their own is a philosophy that Iwaku holds in high regard and always respects :)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie and F0XTR0T
It's not a stupid question ^_^ and definitely a preferential thing. While I have written smut before (>.> hope I didn't shock anyone) it's something I don't anymore and probably won't in the near or far future.

For myself it was curiosity as well as wanting to know if I can actually write r-rated things. Apparently I could, and once my curiosity was sated I found I lost any appeal to continue, as well as certain personal reasons that kept me from wishing to continue.

That being said, as Elle mentioned, to each their own, you do you! Almost all of my acquaintances/friends write star content (as we call smut on Iwaku); I'm perfectly okay with it and they're perfectly fine with my not engaging in it.

Reactions: F0XTR0T
It's not for everyone:) I don't enjoy reading or writing it, as I always find it mechancial/clinical at best, embarrassing at worst... but I can see why there'd be a draw or appeal.

Basically just what Asta said. And I'd add for some folks there's also something a little forbidden about it that I imagine attracts... Sort of like that kid stealing a cookie from the cookie jar vibe.

But there's plenty of people who get the same feels from a good fade to black. Nothing wrong with that if that's you :) To each their own is a philosophy that Iwaku holds in high regard and always respects :)
As much as I'd like to take credit for that post, that was Jorick. :P

He did cover pretty much everything I would say, though.

• Useful
Reactions: Greenie and F0XTR0T
Thank you all for your replies, aha! Makes much more sense now. ^_^

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
As much as I'd like to take credit for that post, that was Jorick. :P

He did cover pretty much everything I would say, though.

Darn you purple... This is why I shouldn't post in the morning lolol

Super quick last thing I might add. Sex scenes can be powerful and inform the readers about either the relationship of power between the characters, or some other important detail. I've written like one sex scene, ever, but I have read a number of them in both literature and comics and the way consent (or dubious consent really) plays out can sometimes practically define who is in charge in a nuanced relationship, even in subtle ways. Or the dialogue that happens during foreplay etc can end up being crucial to the development of the next part of the plot, because sex is kind of like horror: when push comes to shove and things get heated (in either way), when people are closest to their primal emotions, that's when you get to see what their true character can be, and the depth of the impact relationships of any kind can have.

I, for one, enjoy writing smut. All my one x one RPs take place in the red star bedroom. It is definitely a personal preference and not for everyone. And that is perfectly ok. For me, it helps develop the character relationship. Sex is a normal aspect of life. It carries its own stigmas and such in society but it is completely normal and frankly a part of life. For my roleplays, sex plays an important part in furthering a character's relationship with another. A lot of the time its usually for a very guarded character or a character that has this facade that they are strong when in fact they are not. The sex pulls down the barriers and shows the true nature of the characters. You can see their vulnerabilities and their motivations.

I just love to write details (has been known to write novels for posts) and that includes the time my characters spend in their bedrooms (or wherever else they may find themselves). I have partners that have preferred to fade to black and was perfectly fine with their choice. I've also had partners where the sex scenes go on for about two pages and is completely intense and full of emotions. It really depends on what you want to show and develop as well as the comfort level of your partner.

Hope that helps some.
:queen:

Reactions: F0XTR0T
I love writing sex, even if I sometimes feel my sex writing is crap. I absolutely love it. Sex and the human sexuality has always been enticing to me and expressing my curiosity through my imagination and writing is a way for me to kind of "forget" for a moment that I fear sex in real life. I don't have to worry when I'm writing, I can just feel "free", instead of repressed.