Slice of Life

[size=-2]
Thanos watched the pair with amusement, assessing both of them while they spoke and offering smiles at points in their argument. At the mention of his clothing, Thanos flicked a glance down and chuckled. "I'm touched, a fellow artist likes my work. I was hoping it wouldn't all be dentists coming in, looking to buy something appropriately bland and unoffensive for their offices..." he replied, turning his attention to the instrument on Jakub's back. "It was one of the most recent, though the main reason I wore these" he plucked at the paint splattered pants "was because they're some of the only ones I own where you can tell that they were intended to be white..." he grinned, extending his hand.

"I'm Thanos, and before you ask, yes I know I'm very Greek and it's been pointed out to me, both when I left Patras and in every conversation I've ever had with a woman under the age of thirty" this was accompanied by a cheeky eyebrow raise, not wanting to admit that he had taken a liking to the man and that if one of them had chosen to point out he was Greek one more time, he wasn't sure he'd be able to continue talking to them. Thanos did not carry much faith in the intelligence of anyone he'd met recently and he fell silent, looking up at them with dark, expectant eyes.

Crescent nodded to Travis, examining the watch on her wrist. Silently, she shook her head, wondering where all the time went. Even still, she had not seen any customers come in for Val. "Looks like no one wants fluffy ponies today, Val, would you mind ringing this man up since you're not busy? I need to autoclave a few things real quick and then I'm starved" she grabbed the equipment and motioned for Travis to follow her into the room with the autoclave.

"Ours is a nice, new model, so I'll show you how to use it here" she told him, carefully going through the motions while she eyed his overall form. He was decently handsome, sweet, and amusing. Easy-going, she could hardly sense a temper at all beneath the surface. Finishing up, she grabbed her jacket off the hook by the door of the store.

"I'll buy you lunch today" she told him flippantly, heading down the street to a small Asian restaurant. It was her favorite, the elderly couple had known her since she was just entering puberty and they had always taken good care of her. As soon as she stepped over the threshold, the matriarch bustled over with a wide smile splitting her face and showed them to a table in the back corner.

Sitting down neatly, Crescent held up the menu in front of her face not to study it, since she knew it by heart, but to conceal her face as she spoke. "Your question, first, Travis" she told him, preparing how best to breach her own statement.

Hibine stammered shyly some protest to Cecilia about his glasses, but ended up affirming that he would indeed enjoying shopping for clothes. A tinkling laugh and ten minutes later, they were on a bus stopping in front of a shopping center in the heart of the city. Unwaveringly, Cecilia pulled Hibine into a little boutique the such stylized letters for the name, he could hardly tell what the shop was called. In an instant, smiling women flanked him and were chatting merrily, pulling clothes from hangers in a wave of chaos and confusion that made Hibine want to slink back out the door. He might have, in fact, had Cecilia not been clinging to his arm and speaking at light speed to keep up with their banter.

After a minute or two, Hibine had clothes pressed into his hands and was unceremoniously scooted into a changing room. The latest fashions had clearly been employed and Hibine found himself in a fitted tan greatcoat, double-breasted with authentic brass buttons. Smooth, black denim jeans seemed fitted to his form and his aviator boots even had shearling. Beneath it was a simple gray button-up shirt.

"Are you sure?" he asked quizzically as he stepped from the changing room. One of the boutique women squealed and began searching for a pair of gloves.

Orianna looked up from her menu, a soft smile easing the corners of her lips. "No, nothing's wrong, Reyna. Unless you count my utter cluelessness on what to order... I'll let you order for me if you promise not to make it too rich, I don't want to be exercising for another two hours to make up for heavy sauces or something" she chuckled, running a fingertip over the figurine. So he was only a friend? Orianna hoped so, although why she had an aversion to Reyna dating, she wasn't sure. It was just, none of these men were right for her and a selfish part of Orianna knew it would cut into their time together.

"How has your day been?" it was pleasant outside, with sunshine splashing everywhere and lighting up her gentle gold hair like waves of shimmering gold. "Maybe I should get a photo shoot today so I can have dessert with you later" she joked, somehow still less cognizant of her own appearance than the way the sun was making Reyna's hair light up like brilliantly glinting jet.

Darius tucked his black leather glove into the pocket of his luxurious coat, quilted wool jersey stretching down to his ankles. Still, he thought as he patted the pocket, it was not as pleasantly warm as the mink one in this cold weather. However, this coat would have to do for now, since it was too large a risk that sniveling activists would damage the soft, expensive fur. He was in a suitably dark mood to match the weather outside when he stepped into the little corner bookstore.

The scent of dust invaded his nostrils and he grimaced momentarily when his senses were assaulted by the faint smell of must and the heavy quality of the air. Still, this was where his tip had told him the book would be and he could not pass that up, gilt-edged and decorated at the spine with watered silk endpapers, it was a first edition, first issue F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Beautiful and the Damned. Darius was so excited, he scarcely took notice of the boy at the counter when he walked into the store.

The store itself was plain, with shelves of books lining each wall of the tiny, one-room store. The floors themselves were plain wood and the whole affair was likely a fire hazard but such irrepressible joy was welling up in Darius's heart, he did not care at all. His mood had brightened instantly, thinking of holding that book in his hands, knowing the weight of such a work as he was about to encounter. He would feel like a secret king, a privileged man among the masses, to know by weight this rare treasure.

[/size]

Seth had dressed plainly for work today, just a black polo and a nice pair of tan khakis. It was close enough to business casual that he was sure his boss wouldn't mind. Of course since today had been so slow his boss had left early and left him in charge. He sat most of the day on the stool at the front counter reading some book by Hayley Danner.

Just as he had gotten up, thrown on a dark green apron, and began making a latte for himself on the machine when the front door's bells jingled cheerily. He finished up quickly, taking off the apron and hanging it up and grabbing his cup with the small bear of honey and stepped up to the counter just as the man walked past. It didn't take much to read the guy, he was filthy rich or at least appeared to be by his clothing. Seth sat down and turned the honey bear upside down, squeezing out a thick rope of honey into the milky brown latte, dabbing a small glob off the ridge of the cup and popping it into his mouth.

Setting aside the honey he took a small sip of his latte and looked up to the guy, beaming in the middle of the store, most times customers either knew exactly what they wanted and didn't need any help, or were just browsing until something, or nothing, caught their eye. This one didn't even seem to be looking. Seth quickly stood up and stepped around the counter to talk to him, "Excuse me," he said softly, "Did you need help finding anything today?"

Travis felt eager that Crescent was willing to share her knowledge of tattooing with him. He wasn't going to let her down, either. He felt like he could give her a bear hug while saying "Thank you!" several times without taking a breath. From past experiences, women didn't appreciate that... Only men did. So, instead, he just smiled and mocked a salute to her.

"Shank you, Miss!" he said with a wink, a goofy laugh spilling from his lips.

On top of it all, she was going to buy lunch for him, which is most likely what triggered his laughter. This, he considered a debt to repay in the future. Most would insist on paying for at least their part of a meal, but he never liked arguing with the person if they also insisted... Trading off on paying for times like these seemed to work just as well.

After a wave to Valarie, he accompanied Crescent to a restaurant. He also kept his face behind the menu, scanning the list of foods while deciding how to ask this question she hasn't forgotten about. Some of the meals he was considering were tucked into his mind; the decision would be based on price. He wasn't a person willing to take advantage of someone's money.

"Well, you just seem like you could use some fun. I know we just met, but perhaps you'd like to join me for a drink or some coffee sometime so I can get to know you. Since you're my boss lady, and all."

His dark eyes peeked from above the menu, his smile hidden but wide. Travis truly wasn't a shy individual, but he liked pretending to be. She was so beautiful and he got positive vibes from her. It stirred up his emotions like crazy, though he had a good grasp on his sanity.

"so tell me, April, what is this between you and Hibine? You talk about him as if he's a friend because of how you defend him, and yet you never really acknowledge him while at school" Taylor stated as they began to walk further through the park. They'd been idly chatting about this and that for a while, and he'd brought up the bullying topic again. April sighed and paused, leaning against a nearby tree, "He is a...friend. A very nice, quiet, kind of guy. Honestly he deserves much better." She drew a circle in the dirt with a stick.

"what do you mean? is he poor or something?"

"What? oh heavens no! He's quite intelligent too! Haha...no, well, you see. You have to promise to tell NO ONE about this, okay?" she looked around and back to Taylor waiting for his response. Taylor blinked, "of course. What is it? You're aren't pregnant or anything are you?" he raised a curious eyebrow. April blushed some but shook her head vigorously, "No. No. No. Nothing like that...Hibine and I are actually engaged to be married once he finishes school"

"What?" he looked confused. April continued, "Both of our families are very prominent businessmen, and our fathers had long ago arranged this marriage to merge our companies together for profit etc. Get it?"

"Is that legal?"

"I suppose. I mean Hibine is a GREAT guy. A real gentleman and everything, but...like I said, I think he deserves much better than me. At the very least he should get to choose whom he wants to marry, not have it chosen for him"

"What about you?"

"Me?"

"Yeah you, shouldn't you get the same choice to marry and date whom you wish?" April laughed some at this statement and nodded her head, "I suppose you're right" she said and reached her hand out to him. Taylor looked at it and took her hand as she suddenly turned and pulled him off again, both laughing. April was having a great time. She began to pull him toward the shopping district. There were some good food places along that way and she figured she'd at least take Taylor to lunch before heading back to classes. They'd only missed most of morning classes. She'd be back for a few afternoon classes and then to meet Hibine.

~~

"oh stop it about your weight! you look fine! you're beautiful and you know it! If I could look HALF as good as you I'd pay for it with just my looks" Reyna said scanning the menu, "How does a greek salad and half a gyro sound? it's mostly low fat" she said with a grin glancing up again at Orianna, "as for my day, it hasn't been bad. Ran a little close today, but I got there on time thanks to Michale." The waiter arrived and Reyna ordered a bottle of wine and their entrees as their menus were whisked away and her and Orianna were once again left alone. Fidgeting a bit, Reyna couldn't draw her eyes away from orianna and how gorgeous she looked with the sun framing her blond hair and perfect face. If Reyna could imagine what angels might look like Orianna would definitely be up there. The thought alone made her core burn and her cheeks flush a bit. Clearing her throat her embarrassment was covered as the waiter came back with the bottle of wine. Uncorking it, she poured each of them a glass, "I think my professors are out to kill me this semester though! So many projects and tests going on!" downing her glass she smiled, "ah, perfect per usual. So, Ori, what have you been up to since I left this morning? Any flock of men hunting you down yet?" she chuckled softly. Though deep down whenever men flirted with her Orianna she felt a twang of jealousy.

[size=-2]
Darius was broken from his reverie by the sound of a young man approaching him and meekly inquiring about his search. Darius flicked his head up, a smile lighting his face upon seeing the young man, coffee in hand. He extended a hand for the attendant to shake, not once removing his eyes from the contours of his face. He had flexible lips, he decided, his pensive expression locking with that of Seth. After shaking hands, Darius laced his fingers at looked around the shop once more, breaking the connection of their gaze.

"I was, actually, looking for a book I was informed would be here. An F. Scott Fitzgerald novel, first edition, The Beautiful and the Damned, I was told you would have it" his languid gaze turned momentarily back to the boy as he flashed a small smile that more closely resembled a smirk. He could feel a twinge of attraction for the man but he was in no mood to pursue that end when such a fine and lovely treasure was to be placed in his hands at any minute. The search until now would have reached fruition and his efforts would be wholly vindicated, he almost closed his eyes to relish the thought of this.

Blazing jade eyes met warm globes of molten honey once more, Darius let his look pause once more on the boy's and he decided that he would perhaps leave his business card for him to call. Whether it was a futile attraction or, illogically, a spark of something more, Darius considered that he would have the ability to spend time on personal endeavors very soon and it would be a waste of an opportunity.

Crescent peered over her menu, exposing only dark eyes and thick lashes while he spoke but when he had finished his sentence, the waiter came and plucked from them both their menus with their orders. Left without a facade to hide behind while she contemplated, she allowed him to see blithely amused expression curving her lips.

"Well" she began huskily, leaning over the table to him, deepening her expression to a dauntless grin as she brushed a strand of hair away from her face "I have been a loner for some time now, and it's been a while since I've been with anyone. I was wondering if you'd be the sort of man who knew a good offer when he saw one. No strings" she ended, her glittering eyes challenging him sweetly as she picked up her glass of water and sipped from the straw so daintily one would have thought it was her sole pursuit.

Cecilia was thrilled with his outfit and she playfully tossed the scarf around his neck, a broad smile in place on her face, beatific in quality so that there seemed to be no guile capable in her heart. The street was still chilly and Hibine glanced back at the store. He was torn between not wanting to spook her and bestow a lovely gift and his gentleman's instinct to provide a coat for her frail figure that seemed so small as to be potentially carried away by the icy breezes.

In his hesitation, however, she danced forwards, skipping and running commentary on some of the shops. Hibine laughed, unexpectedly, as she called back something to him about wanting to look inside. He chose to patiently wait outside, examining shop windows, after seeing the displays in the windows of various makeups and styling products.

Catching the scent of food wafting on the breeze, Hibine ventured a short distance from the store to inspect the cause of the smell and he froze in his tracks, unaware of the widening of his eyes and only conscious of the fact that he did not feel as though he could break his gaze away. The scarf he had removed from his neck while he walked fell to the ground, splashing in a dirty puddle. Still, Hibine did not tear his eyes away from April laughing and holding the hand of one of the boys from school. He only knew April had seen him because her eyes caught his blank stare before he turned away, leaving his scarf to soak in the puddle of filth.

Cecilia exited the shop as he ran past. Fighting down emotions he could not place, he ran past her, shouting that he needed to get back for his classes. He was unsure of why he felt so betrayed and he had no idea where he was going, finding out that he had arrived back at the school. Tears, which he was certain he would attest to being caused by the cold wind hitting his face, were dried in streaks down his cheeks. Miserably, he trudged inside and checked his watch for the time so that he could be on time for his next class.

Orianna noticed Reyna's watch of her, the subtle way she blushed, and could not help but blush herself. It was only natural, wasn't it, to be flattered? Only natural to be so thoroughly pleased someone found her beautiful? Orianna could already ascertain that she was lying to herself, she'd been called beautiful by many men who wanted to view her body beneath their fingertips and never before had she felt anything but ice and cold dread.

"You're very pretty, maybe next time I'll convince them to let me take you as my attache" she chuckled throatily, her smile tugging at her lips and raising the lines of her cheeks slightly. She was not intent to go into detail about her day, her dreams of being recognized as more than lovely, but what had she to complain about, she asked herself. Men wanted her, women envied her, and she was widely known as Rose Line's golden angel, yet she fretted that soon, her youth would be spent and she would be nothing to anyone.

"My day was fine, my usual health routine to try and keep myself looking marketable" she chirped brightly, placing one hand over Reyna's on the table. "We're roomies and good friends, you have to tell me if there's anything I could do to help you" she scolded lightly, squeezing her hand a little.
[/size]

Now that Crescent mentioned it, it had been a while since Travis was in a relationship as well. He watched her as she sipped away at her water with a certain focus, a smirk at his lips all the while. He was eager to learn more about her; thus far, he was enjoying her personality.

One of his hands flexed under the table, the knuckles feeling relief as popping sounds emitted. Afterward, both of his hands laced with each other so they could rest under his chin, his elbows at the table.

"Well, since you're offering..." Travis made a chuckle with a smug expression, anxious to see where exactly she was taking him. The starry look in her eyes was hypnotic, reminding him of a woman with a similar look that said "Let's play master and servant".

A toasted sandwich with a side of french fries arrived in front of Travis after a pause between him and Crescent, his face lighting up at the sight. He took a sip of his water, a single drop sliding down the corner of his mouth. It was instantly swept away by the sleeve of his jacket before he said something else,

"I'll be sure and pay you back for lunch. Thank you, Crescent." Travis said sweetly, his eyes giving off a certain hunger when he looked at her.

Reyna chuckled softly as Orianna mentioned she was pretty "oh stop. I am nothing compared to you" she teased sipping her wine some more as she listened to her long time friend. When Orianna mentioned helping her out Reyna sighed, "I know, but this is my burden. I want to get by on my own, you know this. I appreciate your offer to help, though. Giving me a temporary place to stay is much more than I probably deserve!" Pushing her glasses up on the bridge of her nose their food soon arrived as she began to dig in.

"Marketable? You're beautiful no matter what, Ori dear. You know this! And don't give me the 'My looks won't last forever so I have to market myself for as long as I can' stuff! You're intelligent too! You could get a job outside of modeling easily, and you know that I think there is more to beauty than appearance" after her mini lecture, which was given in a firm but kind tone, she glanced out the window. To her surprise she saw a young boy with dark hair and glasses suddenly run by. And soon after a young girl.

"Youth these days. Skipping out on classes" she shook her head, "my mother would have given me a wooping for that!" she smiled faintly and returned her attentions to Orianna. "You look stunning today though" she said taking a bite. She paused a moment, the fork in her mouth, as she realized what she'd spoken out loud. A faint blush came to her face as she slowly moved her eyes up to meet Orianna's.

~~

April had been pulling Taylor along even after they'd stopped to get their food on the run. Enjoying the sticky goodness of the churro's they'd gotten she found herself enjoying Taylor's company more and more. That was until she happened to stop and look up to see the last person she'd ever imagined to see. Hibine. He stared blankly at her, and her eyes slowly widened in surprise. If she wasn't mistaken there was a great sadness that seemed to sweep over him. April simply stood there in shock. "Hibine?" she whispered, her hand slipping from Taylors. She was about to call out to him, but he'd simply turned and ran the other way, saying something to a girl who looked confused as well. Hibine was skipping class...most likely with that girl, she realized. As her eyes fell upon Cecelia, she felt a wave of anger and jealousy sweep over her. This wasn't right. "Hibine..." she said again turning to Taylor.

Handing him her churro she frowned, "I'm sorry. Please I have to go..." Hurrying forward she stopped a moment and picked up the scarf that had been dropped by Hibine. Wiping it off a bit she pocketed it a moment and prepared to follow after Hibine again, but Cecelia had taken hold of her arm. Turning, April looked the girl down almost with disgust, "Why did you bring him here? Hibine is a good person. You leave him alone!" she warned, not even sure if this was the person who had dragged hibine from school. Pulling away she hurried forward again trying to catch up with Hibine, "Hibine! Wait!!" she called out desperately. Did I see tears in his eyes? she thought to herself I hope he doesn't hate me... she frowned. How could she be so stupid.

Breathless, April had long ago lost track of Hibine and realized that she was now lost. Looking around she stopped to catch her breath, trying to fight back her own tears of frustration. She needed to find Hibine and fix things.

[size=-2]
Crescent nodded appreciatively to the waitress who set her dish in front of her, a fiery orange platter of hot wings and french fries on the side. Lifting one of the spicy chicken wings to her lips, she cast a look at Travis below her lashes. She took a bite from the tender meat, so delicately that she did not get even a dab of sauce on her face. She watched Travis the entire time she chewed and, finally, as she swallowed, she began to speak once more.

"You didn't answer me, really" she feigned a pout, bewitching eyes half-lidded in a vaguely pampered fashion. She bit again into her dish, reveling in the capsaicin fostered burn that she sought. The people around them had started to thin out as the last of people on their lunch break took reluctant leave. The amiable background chattered faded, isolating them in their own private bubble more so than even before.

For the rest of the meal, the pair ate in silence until the time came to pay the check. Crescent reached into her back pocket and drew out a leather wallet, sliding the money out with a few dollars in tip. "What are you doing tonight?" she asked him while tucking her wallet back into her pocket.

Orianna giggled at the two youngsters, watching them run by one by one until both were out of sight, followed by a determined looking girl with bouncing blond curls. "I dunno, I think it's cute" she had begun in response to Reyna, when she heard her comment about how she looked. Blushing Orianna met Reyna's gaze with surprise. It was natural, wasn't it, she still chided herself. A racing heartbeat couldn't be abnormal, this jealousy toward the man who had escorted her here, that was simply friendly... These thoughts sounded hollow even to her.

"Thank you, you really have too much faith in me. You're the smart one, and you're pretty enough to be a model if you chose. I'm the one who is untested, everyone knows you're pretty but not even I know if I'd do well at trying to be intelligent" she chuckled self-deprecatingly, not envying Reyna but rather feeling extreme pride in her. It was only right to be proud of your friends, she comforted herself.

"I know, we should have a girls' night in tonight, I won't keep you up too late, I promise. If you come home as soon as you've finished, we can spend time together."

Hibine was on the verge of tears and he wasn't sure why, it wasn't as though he was surprised. He knew that April consorted with other boys at school, in more than simply friendly terms, but outside of these walls... she had always been his April out there, ever since they were young. He bit his lip, remembering the day that they had first met.

Hibine had just turned seven and with the age difference, April was only almost six years old. He had expected to be meeting someone who seemed more important than a jovial looking man and a shy little girl with dark brown pigtails. All the men he had met before at the house had been different, they had been friends of otosan, papa. These men had all had deep frowns on their faces and many had been Japanese; they had quizzed Hibine on his Japanese by insisting he speak formally with them in their native language, and Hibine had never disappointed his father. However, he was so surprised, he lost all of his composure when he saw this man and a little girl peeking from behind his legs. They had been introduced and told to go play upstairs, Hibine was to show April his playroom. The room was neatly kept with plastic cars on shelves and stuffed animals all in a bin, and April had wreaked havoc in there as she tossed toys on the floor. Hibine had shouted at her then and she had cried until he told her it was ok and took her by the hand to show her his building blocks. From then until they entered middle school, April and Hibine had played together every day in that room with the pastel blue walls and the toys strewn across the room.

Now, did he expect to keep her? It was impossible, she had grown to hate him, view him with only contempt. The bell rang and Hibine trooped off silently to his class, hating himself for the fact that he was worried about her and where she was now, what that boy would do to her if he got the chance. Belatedly, he also despised himself for thinking of April and her well-being but not Cecilia.
[/size]

Travis only smiled at her when she pouted, giving most of his attention to his food. It was awkwardly quiet, but he was dining with a female... If this were one of his guy friends, there would be no manners. Talking with a full mouth was not acceptable in front of a lady, though! Nor was playing with your food or making constant swears.

He politely cleaned salt and pepper off of his lips with a napkin, being extra careful around his lip ring. Now that they were finished, he supposed they'd be back to work.

"What are you doing tonight?"

He smiled and touched the tip of her nose with an index finger while he replied, "Taking you out, of course."

There would be no questions about it. She could see this outing however she wanted; repayment for the meal, getting to know one another or a date... After all, she said she was lonely. While he had been quite lonely himself, why not take advantage of that?

The restaurant was getting empty now that the lunch hours were coming to a close and dinner hours would be soon approaching. He walked her to the door and waited for her to exit, his head making a bow.

Reyna smiled faintly, "A girls night out?...I like the idea of that! I'm done with classes for the day. I need to run some errands then we can start. How's that sound?"

Finishing their entrees their plates were taken away as the waiter came back, "would you ladies like some desert?" he asked with a smile, his eyes scanning over both Reyna and Orinna, lingering long upon the other girl. Reyna noticed this and a tinge of annoyance overcame her, "Uh no just the check please" she said and shooed him away. Reaching over, she took hold of Orianna's hand, "What do you say?"

~~

Leaning against the wall to catch her breath, April took out the scarf that Hibine had dropped. He must have just bought it, but she imagined it looked good on him. Running her fingers over the material a sadness. She remembered when her and Hibine had first been introduced. Even then he was a gentle soul, comforting her even though she was as barbaric then as she was now. But they played so much together and had such a good time. That didn't mean that she was cold hearted, though. She did care about Hibine.

A few years after meeting for the first time, Hibine and her had gone to a carnival with their parents. Hibine had wanted to win April a large stuffed bear, but the games were too hard. (April expected they were rigged anyways). Hibine wasn't able to get her the big bear she wanted, and she was upset. Later he came by with a present for her. He'd spent almost all his money on repeating the game until he won something, and handed her a smaller teddy bear. April cherished it and would take it with her whenever her and Hibine played. One day the teddy bear went missing and she was very upset, thinking HIbine would be angry at her for losing it. However, when he finally got out of her why she was crying he gave her a tissue trying to calm her down. The next day she went out and bought a new bear, giving it to Hibine the next time they met. He'd also gotten her one to replace the old one. April still had the bear, slept with it nearby every night. She wondered if Hibine still had his.

Snapping from her thoughts, she heard footsteps approaching and stood, wiping tears from her eyes as she glanced around. From the hill nearby the blond haired girl appeared, breathless as well. April approached her, "why did you make Hibine skip class? That's not like him" she said angrily. Who was this girl and what was she up to. April didn't like her.

[size=-2]
Crescent opened and closed her mouth, her perfect rosebud lips entirely silent once more. She nearly ran into the door turning to look at him with a baffled, intent expression. For the first time she could remember since being a preteen, Crescent blushed. She didn't know why it had taken her so aback, was it the gentle touch to her face that she so rarely allowed others access to in any way, let alone with the impression of intimacy? Or was it the fact that her plan for an aggressive approach had been turned on its side by this man? She was unsure and busy weighing those two options when she began to walk again.

Reluctantly, a small warmth seemed to flare inside of her, an unbidden emotion that ordinarily she stomped flat before it could start. Any man she took interest in, she used him and then he seemed to simply fade from her life. This man, however, was not only resilient to her advances but he had proceeded to make an advance toward her. A dim respect lit up in her mind as well as she observed him.

This man, Travis, didn't seem the sort to get mixed up with their tattoo parlor. There was a certain reputation to Barbed Wire, one that drew in customers and warded away many potential employees. This little parlor was started by two women, two female tattoo artists and they were known as some of the best around, that pulled in people who wanted to make use of these talents. However, the other side to it was the hard nature of the women who ran the establishment. It took shrewd business sense to run a tattoo parlor and it took some mighty tough women to handle the men nursing their pride in any stage of a tattoo. These women did not disappoint; Valerie was a tease and a gold digger known to flaunt herself and blackmail men for money after an affair while Crescent was a man-eater, a succubi to the men of the business. Comparatively, Travis seemed so... innocent, so wholesome. Crescent found herself wanting to know more about him, and why he came to them when he must know about Barbed Wire.

Cecilia tilted her head, lamp-like eyes catching the rays of the sun and causing the entire surface to reflect eerily. Slowly, Cecilia smiled at April and her stance changed from timid and modest to being assertive and almost antagonistic, a change that seemed to flow through her entire body and stopping the smile from reaching her eyes.

"I only encouraged him, it was his idea" she responded, her eyes lidding heavily to further her complacent and arrogant air. She ran fingers through her hair, bobbing the dirty blonde curls with the motion while she considered what to say next. "Hibine is weak. He's wonderful, intelligent, and so principled" she stressed the word, no malice present in her voice and instead she took on a briefly dreamy expression. Abruptly, Cecilia shifted her tone, however.

"I think we both know his flaws, though. He can't stand up for himself, he's too gentle for his own good. You walk all over him, but to my knowledge, your engagement isn't official. If I can win him, then think what there is to win. Not only will he become king of the empire, opening a position for queen, but if I make sure that only I hold his ear, it will be as though I alone am the owner of the company. Enticing, isn't it? It was my plan to get closer to him when all I knew about him were these business details but now, I think I quite like him anyway. It wouldn't be terrible to marry him, he's honest and good. You shouldn't be angry, rather you should give him to me. It's not as though you even like him. You miss the chance to be courted grandly by men with him, he's not expressive. You two don't even like one another." Pushing April's hand off of her, Cecilia made an about face.

"I know where he is, so I'll go see what the matter is and comfort him, then."

Orianna smiled brightly, forgetting all about her stresses and insecurities as Orianna grabbed her hand. Orianna did not even notice the appreciative gaze of the waiter, but the look she was receiving from Reyna was heating her blood in the most troubling of ways. Orianna tugged her hand back without thinking. The look that flashed across Reyna's face made her stumble for an answer.

"I hurt my hand today, I shut one of my fingers in the door, I'm sorry I pulled away. It just hurt, I didn't mean for it to be so sudden" she reached out her other hand and gingerly massaged Reyna's thumb before they both stood, the check having been brought out. "I would love to spend time with you, we can do whatever you wish, as a treat to you for all your hard work."

Orianna made up her mind three seconds before she acted. She inched subtly closer, whispered "Call me when you have time" into Reyna's ear and prepared mentally. In a fluid motion, Orianna lifted her face a little to make it more even with Reyna and then kissed her gently on the lips. Pulling away, Orianna tried to act calm, spinning away and walking quickly to the street to hail a taxi.
[/size]

Travis was quiet during his walk back to Barbed Wire with Crescent, which was unusual for him since he was such a social person. Like her, he was deep in thought. He idly toyed with his lip ring during the stroll, mostly content in his mind that he won this woman over. It wasn't much of a challenge... But he had more intentions than just having a good time with her. Life alone and the one night stands were dissatisfying for him as of late and he hoped to change that between the two of them.

Seductive features aside, she had a likable personality from what he could see. Getting a laugh out of her was going to be a daily goal so he could hear her beautiful voice and see those shiny lips smile. He was also anxious to see what sort of tattoos she had, mainly to admire the art. Tattoos reflected a person's obsessions, if not simple interests or devotion to something. All permanent inks have a story to tell.

As they got closer to their work area, he began to ponder what he'd do with her tonight. Go have some dinner, perhaps. They could go to a bar and grill restaurant, have a couple of drinks and a hot meal, then go back to his home. She surely was a lover of music... He could play his guitar for her. Serenading people with his beloved strings was something Travis loved to do.

Reyna was shocked when Orianna suddenly kissed her. She turned to comment but Orianna was already well on her way. Her face instantly tinted a shade of red as she brought her fingers to her lips. Did that...just happen? Was she just mimicking me? But it felt like....more she thought to herself. From behind her the waiter cleared his throat causing Reyna to jump some and blush even deeper. Paying in cash she grabbed her things and quickly left, eyes following her some. Ducking out she looked around but Orianna had already left. Why was Reyna shaking? She wondered trying to calm herself, her heart racing some.

This was more intense than when she had her first kiss! Why was she almost...excited? Taking a deep breath to calm herself. This wasn't something to get worked up about. Her and Orianna had been close friends for a very long time, and to her Orianna was like family. Almost a sister. Though she wouldn't admit that sometimes she wanted it to be more. That sometimes she secretly dreamed of Orianna in ways that probably weren't appropriate, and that the mere thought of Orianna could send her heart fluttering and her stomach turning nervously. Shaking her head she headed toward the market district to get some shopping done. She'd buy some fresh ingredients and make dinner for them. Yeah, that would be nice. A nice bottle of Chardonnay between them, and a chick flick or two to relax with. It would be a girls night. Just...the two of them.

~~

Cecilia did little to impress April. Instead her words stung and made her angry. She did care about Hibine! She wasn't happy that this girl was going to just walk all over him like that! Even if she did 'like' him, Cecelia had ulterior motives. What really pissed her off was the girls attitude on all of this. Catty almost. "You don't know Hibine like I do! He'll see right through you for toying with him like that!" she turned red from anger as the girl walked off noting that SHE knew where Hibine was and that SHE would comfort him.

April knew where he might be, at the college. She just didn't know HOW to get there. Wiping some residual tears from her eyes she took out her phone, "I won't let her do this...I know I'm not the greatest for Hibine, but he certainly deserves better than her!" She knew a general location of his school, but she was horrible with directions as it was.Taking out her phone, she searched Hibine's number and quickly texted him:

Hibine, it's April. I need 2 talk 2. Plz will you meet me now? I'll b @ our coffee shop
<3 April

There was a little coffee shop that her and Hibine often visited to just relax or get away from their parents prying eyes. It had internet access and books for Hibine and pleasant atmosphere for April, so it was a mutual spot really. He would know what she meant, hopefully. Closing her phone she quickly made her way for the coffee shop, hoping that Hibine would come so she could talk, and hoping that Cecelia wouldn't get to him first. Why did life have to be full of so much drama?

"Hey, I'm not one to assume things, 'specially not about someone I just met. Every man is a mystery, yeah? For all I know, you could've been Macedonian instead of Greek," Jakub responded to Thanos, biting his lip - an old habit that usually manifested itself when he was feeling a bit out of his element. He took the hand that Thanos offered and gave it a firm shake, lingering a bit. He found himself thinking about how soft, yet bendy and supple a hand it was, like a willow, and how smoothly it fit in his strong, limber, oak-like fingers - rather distracting from the discussion at hand.

When Thanos mentioned the bit about his dealings with young women, Jakub trained his eyes on the other man's face, briefly giving him a searching gaze. Taken as he was by the artist's sarcastic wit, let alone his stunning good looks, Jakub considered saying something flattering in response - that it wasn't surprising in the least that he would be an object of attention from the opposite sex, blessed as he was with what Jakub considered magnetic appeal. But he decided against it - this was a meeting of the minds and a discussion between creative types, he thought, not a night at the club. Instead, he simply flashed a smile and continued, "I'm Scots-Irish through and through. Not so exotic, I know."

"Yeah no, especially not in this town, sorry buddy! At least you Greeks have gyros," Trey chimed in, eyes gleaming as he looked at Thanos, seemingly sizing him up. He seemed positively giddy for some reason, and his head bounced back and forth between Thanos and Jakub as each of the men spoke, as though he were watching a tennis match. Jakub shot him a look of mild irritation, before turning back to Thanos and continuing.

"You know, I might have to pick up a couple of these, maybe use them for our album cover, like, the dark one on the front, the sunflower on the back... what do you think, Trey?" When no response came to his query, he looked up, noticing that Trey had wandered off into another corner of the gallery, seemingly taking a hint that Jakub wanted some space, though he kept watching Jakub and Thanos out of the corner of his eye with a sly grin.

Jakub spoke to Thanos again. "Anyway. Put my name down for those two. I guess you'll be stuck in here all day, huh? We're gonna go grab some lunch, but..." He hesitated, furrowing his brow, trying to find the right words. He wasn't usually this nervous around people, and found it odd that he was a bit flustered in this case. Probably because he could tell that Thanos was clearly a sharp, intelligent type who wouldn't have a problem telling him off if things... or if he... weren't to his liking. "You're welcome to come with. Oh, and think you can make it to the show tonight? I'll get you on the list for free drinks; you can hang out with the gang after the show. If you want."

[size=-2]
Orianna was delighted at the prospect of getting to spend time alone with Reyna, even if it felt as though she were lying to herself the entire time she was with her, an impostor cleverly clothed in the skin of an old friend. She felt so much like a wolf in sheep's clothing, luring Reyna in, that she almost considered canceling their little arrangement. However, the thought horrified her and, lying to herself, she reasoned that the excuse for why she would not break their plans was because it would sadden Reyna.

As soon as Orianna's delicate toes hit the plush peach carpeting, she was on a mission to create an utterly perfect atmosphere. She had never quite been the homemaking type but there wasn't anything she could do on such short notice. Deciding to procrastinate the difficult part, setting up the apartment, Orianna headed into her bedroom to rifle through her myriad of clothing contained barely, and tightly at that, in her closet.

The perfect outfit, thought to herself, she had to find it. It would be the perfect thing, right measures of flirtatious and friendly, pretty and provocative. She was nearly in tears when, near the back of her closet, she discovered exactly what she had been searching for. A one shoulder silhouette featuring a bell sleeve to attractively frame her arm, cherry red and down to the middle of her thigh with the pretense of demurely gathering at the waist. Combined with ruffled white knee socks, she imagined the outfit to be the answer to her evening.

Hastily putting on the clothes, she dashed on makeup while checking the clock. Reyna's errands would not take long and she only had a little time left to try and arrange the apartment. Her hopes of setting up some sweet atmosphere were dashed when she heard the turning of the door knob handle.

Crescent flashed Travis one last look as she stood on the threshold of the parlor, waiting for him to catch up to her. He had been quiet the entire way and Crescent was interested in his responses. Was he regretting their talk over lunch, could he be planning to reconsider? She was oddly troubled by this and made up her mind to see just how determined he was. It would be unfair to let him continue without realizing just what he was dealing with, after all, she decided.

Travis neared the doors where Crescent had stopped, still seeming to be entrapped in his mental seclusion. Unhesitatingly, Crescent stepped forward, away from the door and instead directly to where Travis was standing. In her eyes, a blaze of challenge rose, mixed with the smolder of actual feeling. A half second before she reached him, she brushed her hair from her face and then stood on tiptoe to press her lips against his, involuntarily closing her eyes to kiss.

After less than a second, she broke away, allowing her hair to fall back over her neck, covering the flash of ink embedded in the skin. "Make sure you clock in on time or Val will turn into some sort of fiendish, money-loving demon and take your entrails. Or so she's threatened at least. Hurry, we're almost out of time" she straightened her top, smiled at Travis, and walked through the doors.

Hibine frowned at his phone, feeling it vibrate a little in his pocket while he gazed dreamily out the classroom window. The lecture was tediously long but the advantage to college classes, aside from not having one's parents notified when you missed a class, was that the professor expected every student to do the work and take notes. No penalty was associated with being distracted, as long as it didn't disturb others.

Hibine pulled his phone from his pocket and slid it open, revealing a shiny screen and shimmering black keys. A text from April, so uncommon he had nearly forgotten that he even knew her cell phone number. Hibine shook his head mildly. He knew it was being petty, but he couldn't help himself. He had only just realized now how one-sided his feelings were toward April and it pained him a little to think of what she wanted from him this time, more blood that he had donated willingly before now, to feed her addiction. He knew it was wrong of him to blame her, he had been the fool who thought nothing of her feelings. Hibine took consolation in hating himself more than he could ever force himself to hate April, but he didn't hate her.

Truth be told, April's good qualities shone where he himself failed. She was outgoing, socially adept, and just fine at showing her emotions. It had been Hibine who never fit in at school, didn't ever seem able to talk to anyone by himself, and could not only display emotion or intent he couldn't even read it. April was smart without being socially awkward in it, pretty without being hated, and rich without being terribly condescending.

Hibine's eyes scanned her text and a wave of misery overtook him anew. She wanted to meet him, likely obliviously hoping he could arrange another "date", their third one as far as their parents were concerned. Hibine wondered briefly what actually going on a date with April would be like, because every time he ended up sitting at a restaurant eating dinner while he pretended that she had gone to the bathroom to all the waiters. Until now, he had thought that he was all right with this, that he was too cold to care at all. Now, he realized he was pathetic. He would not help her plan a rendezvous with some man to do ...what, April? What did she do?

Hibine felt sick with selfishness as he closed his phone gently and placed it back in his pocket. Even now, even though he promised himself he wouldn't Hibine was struggling with whether or not he was going to leave yet another class to meet April.

Thanos shrugged lightly, a smile touching his lips lightly and fleetingly. He had watched the exchange between the two men, the play of their body movement, and also what Jakub had been saying. It amused Thanos that he talked so much and, if he were to be honest with himself, he was envious of how talkative and vivacious this man could be towards a relative stranger.

"The director, he wanted me to leave anyway, but I'll sell you the rights even to those two, for cheap" he gestured at the paintings that the other man had indicated. They were two of his favorites, from very different times of his life. Thanos appreciated the life and effervescence of the sunflower, but the jaded gloom inherent to the second painting captured him much better than the sunflower could. Scrunching his nose, Thanos worked to recall the price labeled on the paintings from memory, calculating the costs of the canvas and paint along with it.

"As for the show, I can't pass up free drinks, it would be some kind of blaspheme, I'm certain. You've seen my work, it's my turn" his tone was nonchalant but he was still trying to figure out the motives and thoughts of the man in front of him. Finally, deciding to take a stab at being more open seeming, he flicked his gaze between the two men.

"You two seem... close?"
[/size]

They arrived at the parlor just in time. He was reaching out to open the door for her, but stopped to see she had different intentions. There were flames in her eyes, burning with passion, desire, a challenge... She gave no warning when she got to her toes, her soft lips puckered to kiss his. The cold steel on his bottom lip touched with hers as he returned the favor, giving his mouth a jolt of excitement. It had been a long time since he felt some sort of spark in a kiss... He was disappointed that it was so brief!

There was a tint of pink in his cheeks and a mischievous smile on his face when her feet went back to the ground entirely. The message was clear now as to what type of woman she was. She liked to play games and compete with her catch. Travis could foresee pleasant experiences with Crescent, so as long as she'd never bore of him.

Her warning about Val made him chuckle as he opened the door to let her walk in, following closely behind her. As he was asked, he clocked back in just a minute before his break was over. There appeared to be a female customer waiting in a chair for a piercing in their eyebrow. He approached the girl and asked her if she was at least eighteen, and had proof of this with her. She handed him her drivers license, which he read as he walked over to his work area, beckoning her during so.

"Okay, I just need you to fill out a paper for me..." He said, pulling out a sheet of paper and a pen, setting them on to the front desk. He filled out the information on her license, signed his name and then slid the paper over to her along with her identity. While he waited, he set everything up in a room that often reminded people of a hospital room. There were little labeled drawers of piercings, tools laid out, medical supplies and a sink. A curvy piece of jewelry was set down on a little table with some ink, a sharp, pointed object and a stack of gauze.

When the woman was ready, he pulled on a pair of gloves after looking over the paperwork and looked to her face. With the ink, he marked the places he planned to pierce, smiling gently when his customer showed some fear. "It will hurt, but I'll be as gentle as I can. Now look in the mirror and tell me what you think."

She gave him a nod of approval, then was asked to lay down. "Inhale and exhale when I say so. I'll breathe with you." Travis instructed, doing a countdown before piercing her brow with a sharp, metal tool.

[size=-2]
Intently, Crescent had slipped over to the doorway of the room where Travis would be piercing. She was curious about the piercings, interested in this taboo that, while not new to her in most senses, was an unusual experience all the same. Barbed Wire had never before featured piercings, since she and val were good at what they did and never seemed to have the time to learn anything new.

Her curiosity was broken when Val hissed her name from the front desk. Sheepishly, she backed away and navigated to the front desk where Val generally managed appointments and legal identification, expecting to see a customer impatiently waiting to have ink imprinted into their flesh. Instead, she was met with two squealing, writhing cannonballs that impacted before she knew what had hit her.

"Tía Cre!" they yipped, clinging to her arms and chattering without being at all coherent in what they were saying. Scowling, Crescent scanned the room for her older sister, Alita. Sure enough, there was Alita, making her way to the door with a slight bulge at her stomach. Crescent appeased the children briefly by answering their many inquiries and anecdotes until Alita entered the parlor.

"Alita, another one? You can't repopulate the earth with sweet little Hispanic children, you know that, right? This is no place for the kids though" she shook her finger at Alita, shooting Val a grateful look for her distraction of the children with her various colored pens. Alita sighed and smiled, patting her stomach in contentment.

"This is how I'm received, when I flew in just for you with these two?" she scolded, waggling her finger in her most motherly fashion. "I need your apartment to house these two hellions and myself for a few nights though" she admitted with a small smile.
[/size]

Seth shook the mans hand and listened to his request. With a slight nod he walked back behind the counter and put down his coffee. After all it seemed a bit rude to walk around with it, but his boss had always told him to make some when it was slow, the smell sometimes attracted customers. He quickly returned to the customer and stepped past him into the bookshelves, heading to a back corner where the book rested. It had taken about a year but he knew where all of the books in the store were and he was never one to disappoint the customers. He crouched down to look at the lowest shelf and ran his finger along the spines until he stopped on the one the other man was looking for.

"Here it is..." He said, again rather softly. He pulled it free from the others and gingerly carried it up to the boy, extending it out to him. After the customer took it he scooted past him behind the counter, where the register sat. "If that's all you need I can ring you up over here. Otherwise feel free to browse some." His gaze became half-lidded as he scooped up his coffee and took another sip.

Reyna had three bags full of groceries as well as a nice bottle of wine by the time she arrived back to Orianna's place. Her shopping hadn't taken her as long as she'd expected. Orinna had been kind enough to make her a spare copy of the keys to her place. Reyna didn't want to take them, but Orianna had insisted. Fumbling around a moment she finally managed to get the door unlocked as she scooted her way in, "I'm back!" Reyna had entered with her back to Orianna as she scooted in and shut the door, locking it. Old habit.

"Man I didn't expect to get in and out as quickly as I did, but it seemed not many people were out today. They had some pretty wicked sales and I had to restrain myself from--" at that moment she turned as her eyes fell upon Orianna. It was as if she were watching a movie and everything stood still as a light radiated around Orianna's body. Her face flushed some and her eyes widened. Butterflies were making her stomach feel as if it were rising into her throat, and her heart felt as if it would just jump out of her chest from how fast it was pounding. Reyna was quite sure she probably looked like a fish out of water. she saw Orianna's lips moving with a curious look upon her face, but Reyna couldn't understand a word coming from her mouth. Carefully Orianna moved forward and gently touched Reyna's arm, "Are you okay?" she asked tenderly.

With the touch, Reyna snapped back to reality as she blinked, shook her head, and smiled, "Y..Yes of course! Sorry! I totally spaced out for a moment, long week I suppose. Let me put the groceries away. I picked up stuff for a nice steak dinner" she smiled and turned to grab the groceries again. Moving toward Orianna she paused beside her, "You look very nice by the way! I wish I could pull off outfits half as good as you" without thinking she leaned over and gave Orianna a friendly kiss on the cheek before heading to the kitchen to put groceries away and get out things for their dinner, "I feel under-dressed, should I go change to?" she smiled and chuckled softly, brushing her hair out of her face as she quickly unpacked and laid things out in neat order. Orianna had moved into the kitchen asking if she needed any help. Reyna just stared at her. God...she's so beautiful were the only thoughts going through her head.

~~

April was greeted with a friendly smile by the waiters at the cafe, most knew her and Hibine by name, they were regulars in a sense. "Ah, Miss O'Hara, do you want your normal table?" April smiled and nodded as she took a seat by the window facing the streets. Her pot of hot green tea with ginseng and honey was brought over, as well as a complimentary chocolate drizzled biscotti. Checking her phone, Hibine hadn't texted her back yet or called her. of course not, he was probably in class. Sipping her tea nervously she kept looking outside. Come on Hibine...where are you? Don't let that witch take control of you. She thought grimly to herself. On some levels she wasn't much different than Cecelia, and she slightly hated herself for that. She would never intentionally try to control Hibine like that, though.

As she continued to wait, she became more and more nervous. Surprisingly she was finding herself on the verge of tears once more.

The girl's eyes stung with tears when the metal went through her brow, but she was able to keep the streams from sliding down her face. She seemed lovestruck by Travis's handsome face as he instructed her to breathe calmly. A gauze was pressed on to the bleeding wound on her eyebrow, a q-tip dipped in salt water swabbing around the holes. After making sure the two silver balls were attached tightly, he told her she could sit up.

"Clean it with a saltwater solution daily and if it causes you any trouble, feel free to give me a call."

The gloves were disposed of before he searched his work area for his little stack of business cards. These were temporary until he had some with Barbed Wire's logo printed on... A plain looking white card with his name and promise to his customers that he'd give satisfaction and that he was certified all printed on. The parlor's phone number was written down with a pen, and then he slipped it into a little bag that had care instructions as well as a little ziploc bag of sea salt.

"Here you are!" Travis said with a grin, presenting the bag to her. The girl then thanked him and went to the register to pay for her piercing, intending to leave a tip for him as well. Travis was still cleaning up the area, all bloody items being disposed of into a trash can.

Moments later, he walked outside to see Val and Crescent. His customer was still waiting to make her payment; his coworkers appeared to be distracted by someone who recently walked in with children. He made a friendly smile as he slipped past them, taking the payment from the girl he gave an eyebrow barbell. When she went off, he dropped the money into the register whilst slipping a five dollar tip into his back pocket.

"Anything I can do, Crescent?" Travis offered, leaning over the register.