Sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"More than what? I'm fine with whatever I'm living." He said silently.

Era glanced at Charles for a moment then went back into her zombie like state. "Ah" she said the steam rising from her lips her breathe meeting the crisp winter air. She was shivering now her teeth threatening to chatter and cut the silence the falling of snow always created.

He paused for a moment, slowly puffing out the smoke. "Are you happy with your life?"

Era slid her foot across the ground displacing loose rocks on the ground. "If I was living I might have an answer" Era said her voice low, she felt lost like she was stuck in an empty place. It felt as if she in fact was as lifeless as the bodies she viewed everyday.

He stayed silent for a while, not even breathing some smoke. "I'm pretty unhappy to, why do you think I hate my father?"

Era looked up her eyes damp now, "I'm sorry" she said her gaze now locked on Charles. How had she been so stupid, she was feeling bad for herself while Charles was dealing with real issues. She wrapped her arms around herself breathing quietly.

"I'm going inside." He said sternly, still with the cigarette in his mouth. Charles continued his work for the day, until they had one more body left.

Era had stayed outside a little longer after Charles had disappeared into the doorway. After almost being frost bitten she had cursed and gone inside to help Charles finish off their work.

They had one last body left, she pulled out the file on the body and scanned through the information.

"...You have a frostbite on your wrist." He said silently.

Era was shocked when Charles spoke, they had worked in silence since she came in from the cold. She took a glance down at her wrist and frowned, her skin was a deep purple and blue. "Great" she mumbled under her breath before wrapping her sleeve around the area.

"Um thanks" Era whispered, her head was down and she was staring intently at her beaten up black shoes. The required footwear was white nursing shoes but she ignored the policy and wore her black shoes. At first she had done it as a rebellious thing but later did it as a gesture to the deceased. Black was the color they wore to the funeral afterall.

They soon finished the work. The day was strange and cold. The morgue was more dreary than usual, with the smell of cigarette smoke and a girl who died of domestic violence.

" What are you going to do after this?"

Era thought about it for a minute before answering, "Probably just go home and get some rest" she said with a shrug. She was worn out, Era had been working since the day before moving bodies by herself. She was glad Charles had shown up though to help with the work load, however strange it had been.

"Okay..." He said coughing and heading to the door.

Era followed him out into the cold winter air, it made her breathe in roughly. She felt her teeth begin to chatter and she tightened her jaw ro silence them.

"...Why did you get into this?" He said shifting his arms to warm himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.