Skyward Dreams

Water wasn't a problem for Ruka. He'd spent a lot of his childhood swimming in and playing near the ocean. The thought of being near a body of water again was heartwarming, at least enough to make him openly smile. "I really couldn't tell you where to start looking, Miss Mist," he sighed out, sitting up properly once more. "The Halfling mote is your home, right? You know it better than we do, right? So I'll follow you without complaint. I trust you." He flashed a sincere smile before placing his hands on the table and pushing himself to his feet. "Since it's going to take a while for food, I'm going back out to the deck. I'll be there if you need me."

With his glaive in hand, he wandered away from the pair, back out into the fresh air. Standing at the bow of the ship, the crisp cool air tugged at his hair and clothes. Dusk was approaching, orange and red making the deck glow warmly. A few stars were already visible in the deepest blue parts of the sky above. To both sides and below, thick, fluffy clouds billowed and every so often a wisp would splash up over the bow and dissipate.

This. This was what Ruka loved about being a trader: flying. He loved the fresh air and damp clouds and the feeling of being above the rest of the world. More cloud rushed past him, tickling his face and hands, making him smile. But the peacefulness was short lived. Out of the corner of his good eye, he caught the clouds billowing in a very uncharacteristic manner. Turning his full attention on the spot, a dark shape took form off the port side. Gripping the handle of his glaive, Ruka muttered under his breath. "Please don't let it be.... Please don't let it..."

The moment the bow poked its way through the cover of clouds and Ruka got a good look at the bowsprit, he groaned, hanging his head. Then he took a deep breath and bellowed out, "PIRATES!" pointing port side with the blade of his longarm at the dark ship that flitted in and out of cloud cover. Not a minute after the alarm sounded, several loud booms echoed from the enemy ship, each one sending a harpoon whistling across the space between the two ships and lodging deep into the side of the Heavenly Maiden. The chains attached grew taut. "They're trying to board us!" he shouted, his long legs taking him quickly across the deck to the railing. Leaning over, he saw just how far down the harpoons were and cringed. It can't be helped... Tying a length of rope to the railing, the other end around his waist, he scrambled up onto the railing and took a deep breath... And then he jumped.

He landed feet first on the thick chain with just enough rope to spare. The wind wasn't so gentle here on the side of the ship, clawing and shoving him rudely as he wedged the spiked end of his glaive in one of the chain links and used all of his strength to force the link open. At first he thought it was a useless attempt but then slowly, the metal began to comply. Glancing ahead, he spotted other crew members mimicking him with the rest of the harpoons.

Meanwhile, the enemy ship was just about close enough to throw out planks and start boarding!

Mist nearly fell out of her seat as the airship rocked and the alarms started, only one thing could be making such a ruckus. Mist shot a glance to Kaijan, "You better be good with that sword, we've got some pirates to deal with!" She frowned, hating what happened to her airship whenever they decided to attack, ah well that was just the curse of having a fancy airship.

Mist hopped down out of her chair and snatched up her bow and quiver, she sure wouldn't let the pirates take it any time in the past, why would this time be any different. With one smooth motion she flung the door to their meeting room open and stormed out to the deck just in time to see Ruka dive overboard! She quickly rushed to the edge to see where he had gone, thankfully noticing the chain he was perched upon.

"Ruka! Don't fall off! I'll see if I can help you!" She cried out over the winds that were whipping past him. Her crew was already prepared with swords and other various weapons and the pilot was locked safely away in the cabin. Mist's gaze snapped up to the other ship, it was one that she hadn't encountered before, a frown crossed her face. Shadows crossed through the foggy clouds, signaling the pirates that were coming. Without another thought Mist nocked an arrow and let it fly, piercing one of the shadows with a cry. Just another moment and they'll come out of that cloud... Mist thought as she readied another arrow.

FINALLY! Some action! Kaijan was thrilled and more than ready!

"You better be good with that sword, we've got some pirates to deal with!"

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" he called out to Mist, "I WAS BORN READY!!!! TIME TO KICK SOME PIRATE ASS!!!" Running out to the deck at a break neck speed, he shooed his hunger to the side and twirled the double-bladed sword around with skill and ease. He looked out through the clouds to see the pirates' ship coming towards them. Leaning back, and watching everyone else take position, he quickly took his place at the front of the airship----he wanted to be sure he got to bring down the first pirate that hopped aboard before anyone else. This was going to be fun. Too much fun.

kaijan.jpg Kai's Sword.jpg

Thunk! Thunk!

Long, sagging planks landed over Ruka's head and at various other places on the Heavenly Maiden. Cursing to himself, he tried his best to ignore the tred of feet from the invading pirates and work on his task. He pressed harder on the glaive's handle, trusting that the crafted steel charmed with magic would be able to hold its own and not bend or break. Planting a foot up against the side of the ship for more leverage seemed to do the trick because a moment after, a loud screech sounded from the chain link right before it snapped. Plunging another five feet as the chain below Ruka suddenly disappeared, he gripped his glaive tightly though he nearly dropped it when he slammed into the side of the ship. Catching his wind, he glanced over to see the people on the other chains were getting close to breaking them.

Another wave of feet rushing above snapped Ruka back to reality and he quickly realized topside needed his help. There was a special loop on the back of his jacket for his glaive, just for times like this where he needed both hands, so with the weapon secured, he grabbed the rope attached to his waist, pressed his feet up against the ship, and quickly hauled himself upward. Back up on the deck, he cringed when he saw just how bad the situation had gotten. Crew were preoccupied with fighting the invaders and no one was left to deal with the planks that were obviously supplying more and more enemy. A loud crack from below told him another chain had been broken as he stepped up to the first plank. His glaive's sharpened blade glistened with anticipation as he met the next man to cross the plank, eying the enemy's dual short swords.

In a fluid motion he jabbed outward but his opponent lifted the targeted hand out of the way. Not far enough because Ruka quickly twisted the longarm in his hands, rotating the blade to point up so that when he jerked it, he caught the evasive hand and forced it to drop the sword it held. The enemy lunged at him and though Ruka managed to pull back enough to avoid having his guts spilled, the rope tied around his waist had been sliced clean away. He rushed forward again, locking blade against blade and for a moment it was a battle of who had more upper body strength. "You shouldn't have done that," he smirked, "Cutting my support rope... Now I won't be so careless and you'll die faster." Shoving his opponent back roughly, he jabbed with his glaive again, missed, and lodged his blade into the plank instead. Immediately he let go and with both hands he caught the hilt of his opponent's sword and redirected the blade in an arch straight into the plank under their feet.

Bad idea.

Immediately cracks formed in the wood. "Oh...Well that's not good..." Ruka bit his bottom lip and quickly turned tail. The only problem was that the break was between him and the Heavenly Maiden which meant... "Dammiiiiit!" He left his opponent tugging at the sword and obviously unaware of what was about to happen. Yanking his glaive out of the plank on his way past, he just barely made it to the enemy ship before the plank gave a loud crack and broke in two, dumping itself and the surprised pirate into open air. "Have a nice flight!" he laughed over the railing, grinning at his own lame joke. That grin disappeared the moment he turned around and found himself staring at six very angry pirates. "Uh... hey guys," he chuckled.

Nervous smile.

Mist was very displeased. These pirates seemed to be a bit more brutal with her ship, and that was something she didn't take kindly. Another arrow streaked across between the ships and took lodged itself into the shoulder of one of the boarding pirates. She had just enough time to fire another arrow into the same pirates chest, knocking him over the edge of the ship. She had to dive out of the way before she was trampled by another pirate who then turned to swipe at her with his sword, rolling out of the way she readied an arrow and shot again, catching him in the stomach. Another arrow put him down quickly and Mist quickly turned to see how the others were faring.

Mist noticed Ruka running over to the other ship as a plank collapsed behind him and she could hear the chains snapping as her crew worked on freeing them. She searched for Kai, running to join him and shooting another arrow into one of the intruders. "Kai! We need to get Ruka back and knock those planks over the edge!" She cried out to him.

Kaijan was on fire! Stabbing and lunging at the pirates like crazy! He was a killing-machine! Jumping off one of the platforms and beheading one of the pirates, he twirled his sword around and screamed, "WHO ELSE WANTS SOME?!?!?!" Of course, he got an answer by 3 pirates, all charging at him at once. He quickly took them down with a few swipes of his sword then ran towards the other end of the ship to kill off a couple more. This time, he ran into a very tall, muscular pirate. This guy was even bigger Ruka! Looking up at him, Kaijan laughed a little, "Kinda peeved that killed some of your buddies, huh?" Backing up slowly, he was briefly interrupted by Mist. "Kai! We need to get Ruka back and knock those planks over the edge!" She cried out to him. Kaijan looked at the deadly giant in front of him and then back at Mist and said, "Uhhhh.....I'll be right there! I...uh....kinda got my hands tied, right now!" Running off towards the highest part of the ship he climbed up and then jumped down striking the giant in the chest.

Ululating in victory, he ran around the deck in circles. Then, looking back at the pirate ship he could see Ruka surrounded by pirates! Of course, with the ship so far off, this gave him an idea! Running back to the edge of the ship, he strapped his sword on his back, then ran as fast as he could leaping off the Heavenly Maiden and landing onto the foreign deck right on top of Ruka! Kaijan looked down at his best friend and chuckled, "Needed some help?"

Ruka was pretty sure that this was going to be his last few minutes alive... That is, until the six pirates closing in on him all donned the same stupid expression of awe as they gazed past Ruka at something else over at the Heavenly Maiden. And though Ruka should have taken advantage of their confusion, he just couldn't help but turn in the same direction and find out just what was so entertaining.

A flash of blonde was all he caught before he was gasping for air, sprawled on his back, a certain elven-human boy on top. "Needed some help?" Regaining his strength, Ruka gazed up at Kaijan and grinned. "Not really but now that you're here this could turn out to be fun~" he teased, giving Kaijan's bottom a good squeeze with his free hand. The hand still holding his glaive shot up to block an attack from the first pirate back to his feet; their tumble had knocked several of the enemy down as well, what with all the flailing limbs and weapons.

Shoving away the attacker's blade, he linked an arm around Kaijan's waist and rolled out of the way of a second attacker, finding himself on top of his friend this time. "Oh I like this position better~" He snickered, though not for very long because a swift kick to the ribs sent him rolling away from Kaijan, gasping for air again. One hand nursing his injured side, he pushed himself to his feet and brandished his glaive, catching one attacker on the face, leaving a red gash across the cheek. He spun and knocked away the blade of another enemy, cutting open his stomach with a sideways slash.

Another crack alerted Ruka that the crew were still working on the chains. If he'd counted right, that meant there was only one left. "Kai, we gotta get back to the ship!" he shouted over the roar of the battle as he wounded a third attacker. He hopped up onto one of the remaining planks and peered around for signs of Mist.

Mist pulled back from Kai as he launched himself over to the other ship, leaving her there with the large man who to her, was even more a giant. The man smirked and lunged forward, grabbing at her. She quickly launched an arrow which lodged itself nicely into his hand and he cried out. Thanks Kai, leaving me alone! She smirked, charging to the edge of the ship and jumping across narrowly making to the pirate ship and quickly making her way over to where Kai and Ruka were fighting.

"There you are! Well, now that I'm here," Mist cried out dodging another sword coming straight at her. She was certainly out of her element, normally she could pick off her enemies from far away but this attack was so abrupt. If only she could have learned a more close range weapon. "Let's find the captain!"

Ryo sighed as he sat in the brig of the pirate ship, he didn't mean to get kidnapped by the pirates from that island mote but it just seemed to happen that way, funny how things worked. The guard had told him that he would be tested and maybe he'd end up as a pirate himself, it was either that or he got to take a walk off the bowspirit and plummet towards the planet. He was going to pick the former of the two when it came to it, unfortunately he wouldn't get the chance to decide it seemed, as he heard cannons and scuffling going on around the ship.

"H-hey, what's going on?" Ryo shouted to the guard, who had stood up and dashed off, presumably to join the fight. Something told Ryo that someone else was getting attacked, and he hoped that he would be able to use this to his advantage, maybe even to escape, after which he would have to find some decent clothing and a weapon. It wouldn't be very flattering to run around in his undies!

Another sound of explosion could be heard and the airship he was on rocked a bit. As he stood by the bars he tried to look to where the door was, if he could just get the door open...

"Kai, we gotta get back to the ship!"

And boy didn't they need to! Kai would've went nuts if Mist hadn't shown up. She gestured to find the captain and Kaijan happily obliged. Looking around, he then saw a small door then ran inside followed by another door he yanked open. Apparently someone was already pulling on the other side in which he accidentaly knocked over. Looking at him, Kaijan laughed, "You don't look much like a Captain, at all! Let alone a pirate!........And you're in your underwear, too!!! HA! HEY RUKA COME TAKE A LOOK AT THIS GUY!!!!"

"Let's find the captain!"

"W-what? No! We have to get..." But both Mist and Kaijan were already heading into the heart of the ship. Ruka sighed, glancing back at the Heavenly Maiden and the last chain keeping the ships so close together. "Why the hell not. I've been in worse situations than this," he laughed and hurried after the other two. He wasn't expecting to catch up so quickly, pushing through two doors before he nearly ran down Kaijan. Cocking an eyebrow at the man on the floor, he couldn't help but smirk.

"Their final line of defense: seduction," he joked, shoving Kaijan hard enough to make him fall ontop of the underwear clad pirate. "Don't give in to his lustful embrace, Kai! Make him our hostage!" he cheered and grinned toward Mist.

Mist could feel her jaw drop as she stumbled upon a half naked man. "I would wager a guess that he's not the captain. Ruka would you be so kind as to erm, take care of him I think Kai and I can find the captain." She nodded, turning and heading off towards the helm of the pirate ship, taking a glance at her ship. Her crew seemed to be doing quite well on their own which made her proud. The pirate ship was a bit strange, and she couldn't figure out just where she was headed.

"Well, when in doubt find the wheel and steal the ship!" Mist crowed, looking for the wheelhouse.

Ryo was stunned, the group of people suddenly appeared at the door, inadvertently freeing him. His gaze crossed each of their faces, from the young halfling woman to the younger half-elf and finally to a face he remembered all too well.

"Well Ruka, how often do we have to meet like this?" He chuckled, finding something, anything to cover himself settling with a lid from a barrel to hide his shame. "You guys aren't uh, with the pirates right?" If they were it just wouldn't be his day. With a groan he started to approach Ruka up the stairs, being cautious about his seeming rescuers.

Kaijan laughed and got up, "HA! Now you're stuck with him!" Looking at the odd guy, he smiled. "I'm Kaijan, by the way! You better thank me for rescuing you!" he teased as he ran out the door behind Mist. He wasn't really one to talk plainly to wierd, naked guys holed up in small rooms. Looking for the captain was really no easy task, which was strange. What kind of captain would abandon his crew? He looked in a bunch of rooms before Mist finally said, "Well, when in doubt find the wheel and steal the ship!" Kai laughed deviously, "Steal the ship?! That'll be fun!!! But....what if the Captain is in there?!" He pulled out his sword, hoping that Ruka and the naked dude wouldn't spend too much time chatting.....

Ruka's immature giggling was cut off fairly quickly by Mist's order. "W-why me?!" he whined, pouting at the halfling woman like a bratty ten-year-old. But Mist and even Kaijan were already heading off, leaving him stuck babysitting the--

"Well Ruka, how often do we have to meet like this?"

Turning back to the so called 'enemy', Ruka finally realized just whom he was looking at. He propped his glaive up against the wall as his expression became very serious, jaw clenched, his eyes cold and narrowed. "About as many times as you'll try to seduce me," was his retort. He stared the man down as if they were sworn enemies...... And then he burst out laughing, throwing his arms around the man's shoulders for a friendly hug. "I've missed you, Ryo! How the heck have you been and... Really, why are you in your underwear? Were you that happy to see me?"

Sh’kina Arris was a little more than a miserable bandit; she was a consort of sorts to the captain of the pirate ship, if only out of guaranteed survival. Though it wasn’t as if she didn’t enjoy and draw out the freedoms of her position. At only twenty-three, she was one of the wealthiest women in the world with exceptional skills in combat and seduction. Even though her academics suffered, Sh’kina counted her blessings; she wasn’t struggling on the streets, starving.

“W-we shouldn’t b-be doing this!” A squeaky voice of man said from inside the wheelhouse. “W-what if w-we’re found out! We could be dead!”

“Ssh now.” A smile tugged at her lips as Sh’kina leaned into the pirate’s lap as she drowned his worries in a kiss. She pulled at the flimsy material of her dress. The man stared down at the bare skin of Sh’kina’s thigh, palms itchy toward her flesh just as footsteps and voices were heard coming down the hall. In quick movement, she had pushed the pirate off of her and smoothed out her dress, fumbling with the straps and cursing.

Mist flung open the door and stopped short. The woman and the man in the room seemed to be either unaware of what had been going on, or they didn't care. Mist leveled her bow at the woman. "Are you the captain of this ship? If not I'd thank you to tell me where he or she is." Mist didn't have time to care about the woman's attire, or lack thereof. The man that she was with didn't seem to be of much worry either.

It was bad enough that the woman seemed to be disheveled but if this was the captain Mist knew that she wouldn't be able to give any mercy. She just hoped that Kai could steel himself against the visual assault he was about to encounter!

"I only seduce you as much as you can be seduced." Ryo laughed as he was pulled into a friendly hug. "I've missed you too Ruka, it really has been too long. As for the underwear, well that's a bit of a long story involving these pirates and a bit of a debt that I seemed to have accrued with them. But seeing as you're here and from the sound of it I'd wager that my problems with these pirates are solved." He released Ruka from the hug and moved to root around the room, finding a rather unflattering pair of pants and a vest. "Well, it's better then nothing..." He mumbled, putting them on.

"Now that you know my life's story again, how about you, what brings you here 'The Handsome' Ruka?" Ryo chuckled, remembering what his friends had referred to Ruka as, of course he couldn't remember if he had told Ruka that nickname or not before.

When Kaijan walked in on the scene, he was kinda wierded out. Backing up a litlle, he whispered to Mist, "Uhhhhh.....are you sure this is the wheelhouse?...Looks like they're.....uhhhh....busy. Maybe we should go......" He looked around confused. There was the wheel. And a couple of maps stacked in the corner. Apparently, this was the wheelhouse. "Uhhhh...hi....you guys. Either of you happen to be the captain?" he asked. Where the hell was Ruka and Naked Dude?!

kaijan.jpg

Hearing the explaination to Ryo's lack of clothes made Ruka laugh. "Again?! Haven't you learned never to make deals with pirates, Ryo?" he teased. Smugness was smeared across Ruka's face as he remembered the last time Ryo had a debt with a 'pirate'. But that was years ago...

Brought back to the present by Ryo's question, Ruka shrugged and gazed at the floor. "The handsome Ruka's been sent on an important mission by the Empress herself. Your pirate friends attacked our ship. But don't worry. I'll rescue you~" He glanced up at Ryo and winked, but just then, a pirate opened the door and Ruka whirled around, the head of his glaive shoved under the man's chin, blade just touching the skin of his throat. "Your weapon, sir," he ordered with an icy tone. As the pirate handed it over, Ruka gestured with his head for Ryo to take the man's weapon.

Well, they surely weren’t the company she was expecting. Sh’kina looked the strangers up and down. The woman was to the point and the boy…well, he was rather too polite for a sailor. She was still undressed, fingers lingering on a buckle, as she gave them a rather warm smile before speaking.

“He’s not on the ship.” If Sh’kina played her cards right, she would pass for a ‘binded’ accomplice in whatever their misfortune happened to be and use this has an advantage to run off with her fortunes. “The captain is off perusing the local,” She giggled, “mm, delicacies.” ...she was a tad rusty with pretending. Her plaything, though, was muttering in the corner about how ‘great’ this idea turned out to be. Obviously, he didn’t appreciate the threat of a woman as the bow was pointed in his general direction.

“I could show you the way, if you’d like,” She said and, then with an aberrant look, continued “…on one condition.”

Mist raised her eyebrow at the woman, lowering her bow slowly, still keeping the arrow ready just in case hey were lying.

"Not on the ship?" Well that was certainly throwing her game off. Why would the pirates attack another ship without their captain? Certainly this would be a first for Mist. "You'll take us eh? What's your condition?" She narrowed her eyes still prepared for what she was worried would be a betrayal but she remembered that Ruka was somewhere on board and he wouldn't just let her get trapped, at very least, not Kai!

"But they were just so cunning!" Ryo joked, nudging Ruka in the side.

"The handsome Ruka's been sent on an important mission by the Empress herself. Your pirate friends attacked our ship. But don't worry. I'll rescue you~"

Ryo laughed and smiled. "Well, looks like you've got someone to help you." When the door opened Ryo automatically crouched a bit before noticing that Ruka seemed to have everything under control. "Thank you kindly sir!" Ryo tipped his imaginary hat to the pirate as he took the rapier. "I think your pants are also required, and maybe that shirt..." He grinned, holding the pirate at the point of his own sword.

When all was said and done the pirate was locked back in the room in his underwear and Ryo and Ruka had locked the door behind them. "Well, this is a change of view. Last I saw I was in the Elf city..." He shrugged, and pointed towards the Heavenly Maiden, "That's new too. Well I guess you get to lead the way again Ruka." He smiled.

"Oh, man, tell me you're not believing this woman, Mist!!! In case you might've forgotten, this is a pirate ship!!! You can't trust anyone here!!!!" Kaijan whispered to Mist sternly. Of all people, he couldn't believe that Mist had fallen for this rabble. If there's one thing Kai's father always told him, it was to never trust anyone who used the words "on one condition" in that order. Obviously, either this woman was lying or wanted something impossible in return, both being terrible outcomes if Mist agreed. As much as he wanted to yell, "SCREW THIS, I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!" and start running out the door, he knew he couldn't leave his own Captain all alone with these two obvious weirdos. It would just be ungentlemanly. Sighing heavily, he thought to himself. This had better be good! I don't want to be taken captive and killed on an empty stomach!!!!

kaijan.jpg