Skin Deep

He eyed the girl without his eyes....so he minded the girl? Beal didn't believe the words she said to be entirely true. She asked him why he was down here, he stayed quite for a little while before deciding to answer. "They decorated my room like a cell" he raised his arms up to show the irons "I dressed to match the motif." His voice bled with sarcasm.

Beal observed the girl for a while before saying anything further.
Stepping a little closer he leaned his head forward and inhaled through his nostrils "Appearances, as you know, can be very deceiving. Why is it girl, that you are so afraid?" The jumbled emotions she felt as the little bright girl left had not escaped his notice either. "What does it have to do with her?" He nodded his head toward the direction of the other girl and the stairs.

Darkness, light, darkness.

Humorous. Scary things could still be humorous, but despite that piece of knowledge she felt her lips twitch behind her mask and her fear swirl with happiness if only for seconds. Allowances for humor or enjoyment were allowances for mistakes. Just mistakes. Best not find him funny, then. Isalien's lips stilled.

She didn't say a word, though she had the time between his phrases to do so. Now there was little to say, and he had yet to answer all her questions anyways. Instead of just answering, he leaned forward, and she automatically leaned back, stared up at him with a careful blankness though she knew he could not see her.... with his eyes at least. Of course he could smell the fear on her. That was not a surprise. It was how he had untangled the web of her conflicting emotions before Isalien herself had consciously separated them. Odd. Very odd. For a few moments, she did not respond to him, taking time to form an answer.

"I've never enjoyed school and I'm claustrophobic. Having these casings on frightens me," lousy. A lousy excuse, and she knew it. "And she was ill. An ill child, wrong in the head, tainted in power. Excessive power, but ... One like you, if you are so underestimated, should have surely noticed that power. I am only human; less than human. I can't quiet instincts to fear that which is more powerful than myself while I am practically a rabbit in a trap waiting to be eaten. Stupid, stupid, foolish school.... I am guessing one of the only things they did right was restrain you correctly. Even that, ironically, has disadvantaged me against the ones that look innocent that can mask their power signatures. It's inconvenient to be made so vulnerable."

Why would she say these things? He was potentially on the same level as the other girl, why state her own weakness? To be fair, she did know that she was obviously weak. But that was only while restrained... Isalien straightened her back but continued to shake like a flimsy noodle. If she was going to be confused, rash, and foolish.... She would at least pretend to be brave. Even a mask of bravery was bravery in its own way.

((Sorry for any retarded mistakes. Phone-typing.))

Beal almost smirked at the flimsy excuses but listened to her rabble. He processed her words and churning emotions, filling in gaps and making assumptions. Trying to decipher all what this girl was capable of. While she talked his examined the magic energy used to restrain her. He didn't know a whole lot about magic but over his years he had noticed the differences in patterns for magics with varying purposes. The magic in the mask and shackles were somewhat similar to his, that's as far as he could discern, and didn't draw much of a conclusion from it.

He decided to make an educated guess.
"Oh yes I noticed. Because like you I can see people and what they contain." If she could see the energy within people, it might be related to why she was restrained. Her hands and mouth...If she couldn't touch anyone...and there was a void in her...then they were both more similar than he thought. "They did indeed restrain me quiet well, as well as they could. But like you I am more vulnerable this way to those who I could crush with exceeding ease. Yet unlike you, I can still pose a threat even with all these counter measures. ." He lifted his arms at his sides, making a general gesture to his whole body. By now he'd gotten used to the itching sensation the glyphs caused against his skin, and he learned the less the glyphs itched, the more power they were losing. But of course his body was forced to return to the scepter and who ever wielded it for recharging. "It seems though that you are safe from my jaws, rabbit. For now."

Once again he stood silently in thought before speaking again.
"Tell me, little rabbit, what purpose does it serve you to detect the power of others?" Beal had a pretty good hunch by now, and if he was correct then she might be of some use to him. Of course, though, she would not tell him even if his hunch was correct. But he would know.

((I only noticed mildly stupid mistakes, no big deal))

How dare he just assume that she was always so weak? No matter how fearful she was, she was never quite powerless. Even now, she could probably find a way to access free-floating power. Maybe. Possibly. "For now" he had said... "for now" indeed, but as she gritted her teeth it was not herself that she imagined being gobbled up. Rarely did anger overpower the fear in Isalien, but in this case it did. It also made her even more careless. To complicate matters, the near-constant burning in her hands and lips she had felt since meeting the now-absent demonic girl had irked her by this point, adding to her annoyance.

"You are foolish just like them," she snapped right as his last words left his lips. "Detecting is weak. I am weak, but not that weak. Had I told them what I truly do, my restraints would look more like your own. Then I would really have something to fear. But right now I only have a moderate amount of fear, which is more a strength than a weakness. The brave get killed quicker. Without these stupid fucking casings the only thing I would have to fear is being too slow... or too reckless."

It seemed that the more she got riled up, the more pain was shot through her from her restraints. Towards the end of her rant, every few words she was forced to swallow a gasp. A few seconds passed while she caught her breath. First the fear had sped up her heart, and now the anger was making her speak so quickly that she hardly breathed between phrases.

So annoying. He was so annoying. But maybe they could briefly cooperate with each other just long enough to escape their restraints, and then escape the school. He was dangerous, though, she reminded herself. Her eyes were glued to him, examining him with fear, annoyance, and careful consideration all at once.

"It doesn't matter what purpose my ... 'detection' serves me. What matters is that you and I are in the same situation. Neither of us is helpless, but we are also not exactly free," Isalien paused to wince. Why was this happening? Did her body feel so empty without power that it was trying on its own to break the bonds on her? Odd. Without thinking it through, she took several steps closer to Beal, slowly to keep track of the increasing rate of crackles emitting from her bonds. It hurt, but she seemed to be ignoring it despite the occasional wince. She started to raise her hand, trying to get as close as possible to one of the shackles around his wrists. Of course she couldn't touch them; her little hands were crushed inside two magic metal balls. She couldn't touch anything. Now she truly was angry, but for now she just lowered her encased hand and sighed. "What are the 'threats' you pose even with these restraints?"

If she could overcome his restraints, or he overcome hers, perhaps there was a way to be freed. That is, if he didn't try to kill her if she managed to free him first.

Beal suppressed a chuckle as his words stoked her anger into a flame, it was hot and tasted primarily of indignation. He did smirk however, he had not felt any praise toward her attempted bravery a moment ago, it had made him laugh on the inside to see some one with so much fear try to put up a mask of bravery. But as she had said, the fear wasn't so overwhelming.

His head turned a bit as she started reaching her hands toward his shackle. As she got closer the air between them started to crackle and filled his sight with sparks of magic. The interference made his skin itch. Eventually there was another flare of anger, the girl stopped reaching and dropped her hand back down with a sigh.
Hmm....

Beal opened his mouth to say something but then he only said
"Observe." He lowered himself to the ground so he was on his knees and his hands touched the ground. Lifting up one shackled hand he showed it to her and then let his hand drop to the ground. The old stone broke beneath the weight of the shackle, sending shards scattering around the basement."These shackles are heavy and enchanted to prevent me from reaching high velocity and using my full strength. However, as you can see, the shackles can be used to my somewhat advantage."Beal stood back up as if he weighed no more than a regular person. "That's all for now."

Of course that wasn't all there was to him that he could do right now. He wondered if she would notice....Beal strained, the glyphs glowing as he exerted himself to push the girl's fear enough to edge over her anger. It was a natural thing for those who faced him to feel a deep primal fear, and so he could could push their fear even further, but this was much harder to do with the glyphs in place. If she noticed and inquired, he would tell her but for now he would just keep pushing it.

"So....you are wanting to work together to free ourselves" It wasn't a question, and he had to admit getting free was exactly what he wanted to do. If this girl could do what he thought she could do, she just might be the person free him. Unless she decided to betray him.

So he wasn't really powerless even while locked up. After watching his proof of strength within the boundaries of his restraints, Isalien closed her eyes. Despite her lack of planning ability when she first arrived in the basement, her anger, pain and annoyance had given her mind a sort of clarity... that is, when her mind was completely focused, which she could only do in complete silence with her eyes closed, apparently. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Distraction ate the clarity away within a few seconds. A thing created for destructive protection, locked up like a dog, working with the very sort of monster ... or person she was supposed to destroy. She wasn't sure of his evil, but she was brainwashed to sniff out evil on any powerful being. On any being, actually. And there was a lot of evil in the world. Fear started to become more prevalent once again, though typically once she was angry or hurt she remained angry… Isalien shook her head, opened her eyes slowly, and glared up at Beal suspiciously. There the offending particles were; tiny, foggy wisps of expended power around him, 'trash' to someone like Isalien. She couldn't be sure, but she guessed that the sudden fear consuming her again, making her shudder, was correlated with the trash-power floating around him. She inhaled shakily and went off on him.

"I do plan to help you escape if you help me to break free first. That is the only way I can free you. I could leave you here after you freed me if I wanted, especially since you are probably the type of… person I was made to destroy. I'm not a coward though, and not a traitor once I give my word. Being frightened doesn't make me that. But if you keep forcing me to fear you more than I normally would, I will not be able to destroy these," she gestured to him vaguely with one metal ball-hand, "without potentially destroying the rest of you. They are not familiar to me, and it will be delicate work, breaking them. If we are to collaborate –and if you are to escape in one piece—stop scaring me."

She was scared, now. The aura of fear had consumed her once again, but behind that instinctive fear was the clarity she had previously accessed, and a helpful bit of annoyance to keep the clarity. Still, she did not need to give the fear time to become rationalized. She needed to continue quickly.
"You don't seem to hurt as much because of your restraints, hardly at all, and you use them to your advantage. I have one use, and only one. But it's a useful use. Try… to either break one of these," she suggested, tapping an encased hand against his arm and trying to ignore the searing pain she received as a result, "Or just unlatch the mask. That will be enough. It would be preferable to not break my hand as well, if you choose to break the hand-casing instead of open the mask, but I have learned that no matter what condition they are in they still work. Just choose… something, and do it. And trust me. I'm choosing to trust you, but do not assume you will get away with killing me, if you try. It's not a simple task, killing me, unfortunately."

This time Beal did laugh, it was wicked and mocking. "It is my nature, said the scorpion to the frog. Alright, I'll try to stop scaring you." Although he made light of the situation, something unsettled Beal. For as long as he could remember he had nothing in common with anyone, then there was this female, designed for destruction like he was. It made him feel odd, like there was a memory his brain was trying to remember. He reached for the memory but there was a sudden, lancing pain through his chest. It caused him to flinch, physically and mentally, drawing away from the memory like one would from a scalding coal.

His attention came back to outside of his body, he thought about the girl's plan. He was loath to tell her the about the scepter that would control his body so he tried to leave that part out as much as possible.
"There is something important, Rabbit. There is a scepter in the dean's office that allows my wards to be recharged. It takes a lot of energy to keep these wards running, so I have to report every sunset for recharging. And to remove these glyphs I need to get my hands on that scepter." His head tilted down, as if he were looking at the shackles, then a smirk touched his face. "I should be able to get to the scepter"

The girl seemed awful confident she'd be more than an insect under his boot. But if in fact she was hard to kill, it would be another thing they had in common, which irked him.
"Okay then Rabbit, lets see what happens." He raised his fist up as if to strike down at her hand restraints but changed the course of his hand and forced it through the conflicting forces of their wards. As he pushed his hand close to the latch on the girl's mask more sparks sputtered from where their wards met, again filling his sight and the basement with light. Just as his finger was close enough to flip the latch he paused. "Say, you don't bite do you?" He grinned at her through the sparks, baring his wicked teeth before flipping the latch.

Of so many people she could have collaborated with... why had it been this irritating person? She scowled at Beal for his condescending tone, trying hard not to roll her eyes. But she was also grateful for his angering her. At least he had stopped trying to invoke even more fear inside of her. Now she could at least focus without speed-talking to distract herself.

She listened to his note about the wards, and eventually gave a tiny shrug. Right before Beal reached for her face, she muttered,
"If a thing exists, it can be destroyed. No ward is an exception, but they're more delicate and volatile. That is why I told you I needed to remain calm to work on them. Ouch!"

It felt like her lips were being stung by angry bees, but there he was, still acting as if he felt nothing. Did she bite? What a random thing to joke about. A metallic squeak caught her attention and rush of cool air on her face was a massive relief; the mask had successfully unlatched and thunked against the bottom portion of the restraint around her neck. She sighed long and loud. Already, she felt more at ease with the world though there were still hurdles they needed to jump in order to escape. For a moment, though, she allowed herself to relax and think, eyes shut lightly.

"...No, I don't bite, unless an enemy is particularly dead-set on escaping and I am left with no other way to hold onto them. " Her eyes opened to stare at him, calmer than ever. "There is only one more thing to do, but it won't be as easy as opening a latch. I know your wards are still active, but they should be weaker by now since it is probably near sunset. If you're so powerful you should be able to slip some amount of power past those wards. Not by using the power, but by letting it seep though the wards. Like you are trying to make it obvious to those around you that you are powerful. Can you do that, or should I find someone else to steal from?"

She didn't want to find someone else. That demon child was still out there somewhere, and although Isalien was more capable of protecting herself now, she still was not at full power. Something about the demon girl made a shiver run down her spine. No way could she remain calm if it was the demon girl she would have to face, although the ambiguous strength Beal possessed should have frightened her more. There were others with power, she knew, but the man in front of her and the demon girl were the two that Isalien suspected to be the most powerful in the immediate vicinity.

"Say you can do it," she urged, unaware that her tone was almost pleading. "Once you find a way to let any amount of power loose, I should be able to grab hold of it and drag it out. Just try."

She was right, the wards were getting weaker, in a few minutes his body would be forced to report to the dean and the scepter for recharging. He probably could force something raw to seep through the wards, but there was a problem.... "I don't think I can. I never have before, all I've needed to appear powerful was the fear I strike into souls. The source of my strength isn't from magic, it's just my body and the wonderfully terrible things I can do with it. What you see inside me isn't masked, not really. As far as I know there's nothing in there." Unless he put something there.

Or maybe there was something in there....He'd have to try if he was going to get out of here and teach the wizards a lesson. "You might not like what you find, Rabbit." Turning his attention inward, he started pushing. At first all there was was the crippling fear that exuded from his body, he realized this and felt around somewhere else. Through the aura of fear a corona of dark energy showed itself. Where his body had appeared to magical eyes as a swirling vacuum, now he appeared as an fathomless blackness. It was like raw unlife, a hopeless coldness that would freeze you to death if you touched it.

It certainly did appear to be the embodiment of a blackness that was eager to swallow up life. Then quite unexpectedly there was a flicker of fire, a mote of life that permeated his body despite the constant buffeting by the devouring nothingness.
Like a candle in a black snow storm. The surrounding area around Beal's body dropped dramatically in temperature and for a moment the flicker became a low, steady flame. The point of origin being at his heart.

"Not masked, really... but something. It's there, but it isn't, whether that is due to the wards or something else..." she mumbled, concentrating on her next moves. If it was true that he could not exert his power without using it up... she would have to find another source. It could be dangerous for a person to grope around inside themself looking for power. For the time being, though, Isalien allowed him to try. She really didn't want to go back upstairs, or anywhere else she might run into the demon girl.

Her knees started shaking for a few seconds after the stranger seemed to investigate his source of power. Breathing became so difficult due to the fear that had frozen her that when the fear dissolved, she was left panting. The wisps of used energy caught her eye. Then as she watched, any light in the basement dimmed around him; another type of odd power? This Isalien was compeltely unsure of, but it gave her an odd feeling of bitter emptiness. All she could do, though, was be grateful he had at least moved past his ability to establish fear in a being, and be patience as he delved further into himself. Had he truly never deciphered what his power really--

There it was.

In about half a second, Isalien had invaded his personal space by nearly plastering herself to him, completely ignoring her burning hands and the way they contrasted with the stark cold of the rest of her that had set in the moment she came closer to Beal. All fear seemed to be replaced with elation. She could ignore it and the burning only because of that nice, sure burn of power close to his heart. Where it was precisely, she did not know. But she could feel it there. That may have been enough.

To anyone else, it would have looked like she was leaned against Beal's chest, just breathing through her mouth for some reason. To Beal, it may have felt like she was trying to suck his heart out through a twisty straw; or it may have felt like someone was dampening a source of pain, comfort, confusion, or any odd, conflicting mix of emotions. Whatever he felt, Isalien didn't seem to care. It was relief, feeling that power so close to the surface, though it was still a very, very strange power. Power was power. No matter how hard she inhaled, attempting to coax the power out of Beal and through the wards, she could not.

She growled. All she felt was annoyance, a slight bit of fear, and the excitement that relief and freedom were just a step away.

"Push it out," she commanded under her breath. "Any of it; just release it outward. I can't access the inside of you! It's close, and coming closer, but it cannot leave you unless you let it."

The last two statements were said like they were supposed to be common knowledge.

((I should have stopped posting once the sleep-inducing allergy meds start to work @.@ ))

Beal was some where very deep. This place was so dark and muffling, any thoughts he had were immediately swallowed. In the distance he saw the little fire and moved to it. The thing wasn't very impressive, it seemed to be struggling to survive in this all consuming blackness, yet it was very strong. Looking at the fiery light stirred memories in his brain that were out of his reach. When he tried grasping them pain would shoot through his chest again like before.

He heard a noise and was vaguely aware of a wind. It was a voice, muffled as if he were deep in an ocean. Ah yes, it was the girl who was going to help him escape. She needed him to expel this energy somehow, and she was quite greedy about it. Faintly he felt a smirk on his face at her desperation and felt the sparks of the wards bounce harmlessly off his skin as she had brought the wards into contact. He brought his attention back to the fiery energy, he had no idea what to do with it. The suction feeling continued, and he knew the girl was trying to drain the energy from him, he wondered if the blackness she was inhaling would have a terrible affect on her. Anyways, back to the task at hand....

An idea came to him and he filled his mental lungs and blew out onto the flame. It brightened and grew. Aha. He scooped the flame up into his hands and exhaled all the air from his lungs. The flame jumped in height and radiance. Outside of his body the spot of light by his heart brightened and radiated a meager wave of energy. Of course the energy was pulled into the vacuum inside the girl and in his mental hands the flame started shrinking. There was a vague sense of urgency somewhere at the back of his mind.

Suddenly the flame flared and bit him, causing him to recoil and drop it. The flame brightened once more and a force struck him. Not just bodily but mentally at the same time and it pushed him with such might he was forced back upward through the blackness and out of his introspection. The light eating blackness around his body swiftly pulled inward and he stumbled back, crying out and grabbing his head. The mental attack caused him to reel back, separating him from the girl by a few steps as he clutched his head. The pain throbbed away as the flame or whatever it was shrank back down inside him.....He knew the girl hadn't attacked him; there was something foreign inside him.

He straightened up, infuriated that the girl had witnessed him being so affected by an attack. His expression was grim, and he appeared colder than before, he even felt colder than he did just a minute ago. Any kind of friendliness or softness had left his disposition. What she had taken had profoundly changed him, even if he did not quite realize how.
"Well girl? Are you going to remove these?" his voice came out a harsh snarl as he shook the irons at her.

((You were typing while asleep? Whoa))

((Wooah... Just realized I wrote a small novel >.> Guh. Sorry.))

She had no idea what was going on inside of Beal; all Isalien knew was that after waiting for a while, she finally was given at least enough energy to get his wards to die. Before she could celebrate any further, he yanked away from her and acted as if she had harmed him somehow. A brief rush of panic made her heart race. Had she taken too much power? That never happened! People could lose their power without losing their life, even if she tried to take their life as well. Power and power alone was the only thing she could steal, and she had never encountered a person whose life was connected to their power.

It was impossible. But he did seem to be in pain. Why did it matter to her anyways? If he was in severe pain he would be less likely to harm her. Then he snapped at her, and just as his own demeanor had shifted, Isalien's demeanor changed as well, turning her back into the frightened, jumpy girl she had been earlier. She had given him her word, though. She had to try and believe he wouldn't harm her. Besides, she did have some of his power now... he couldn't harm her unless he wanted to start a fight.

"D-..." her voice cracked before she even uttered a whole phrase; not a good sign. "Don't rush me. Hold still."

Two seconds was all it took for her to take inventory on her amount of power. It was decent. Enough to break their bonds and maybe attack someone, but that was about all, she thought. There was no explosion as she forcefully released a small amount of power from her fingertips that were resting against the inside of her metal cuffs. The metal just glowed, and to any magic-seeing eye it would seem that flames had ignited around the girl's restraints. After about five seconds, many sharp, loud cracks echoed around the basement, and tiny shards of metal littered the floor.

Her hands were finally free; she was finally free.

Well, that was almost a lie. She still had work to do, like it or not. But fear had swarmed her again, colliding with her will to free Beal. Nevertheless, she stepped forward and grabbed onto the shackles around Beal's wrists. Just the same as her own, they soon shattered, though Isalien felt her fingertips burn painfully in return. She did nothing but grimace before she continued.

"Ankles, eyes... there's something under your clothes as well... I'll let the magic on your skin grow weaker before I get to those. I don't want to r-risk destroying you along with them," Isalien babbled like a nervous doctor as she destroyed the manacles around his ankles. She seemed to hesitate briefly before sliding her fingers under his jacket and shirt and securing with one hand the clothing above the metal belt around his waist. It would probably be bad if the metal exploded inside his shirt; she didn't want anything to piss him off, even if the pieces were too small to do much damage. Whether from embarrasment or exertion, her cheeks were tinged pink.

The belt was the most painful to touch so far, perhaps because it was larger than the manacles had been. After destroying it, she flattened his shirt back down mechanically and glanced at her fingertips. Her right hand that had destroyed the belt was seared at the fingertips as if the magic had simply eaten through her skin, leaving blood to seap from the wounds.

She hadn't thought that the pain was harsh enough to actually harm her. Whatever; it didn't matter now.

"Close your eyes tight," she grunted, trying to steady her shaking hands. Embarrassment mingled with her fear when a whimper passed her lips, brought about by the searing pain of agitated magic on open wounds. She rushed through the destruction of his visor and busied herself next with the traces of magic on his skin.

"Stupid... they must have thought etching the magic into you would be foolproof. I bet they felt brilliant, didn't they..." she remarked, letting the barest amount of energy flow into the glyphs, probably making Beal as uncomfortable as she was. But she had to be able to see them, and the energy made them glow as they started their process of dissolving. Completely ignoring any protests he may have made, she unzipped his jacket and pulled it off so she could she the glowing symbols under his shirt where they may have been the most powerful; most power came from either the head or the abdomen, and Isalien decided to begin with his head. "They were thorough, if nothing else. They're everywhere. Makes it difficult to find the starting point, if they actually had one."

Her heart thumped terribly quick as she poured more and more of her reserves into the glyphs. She was beginning to run out, but she refused to acknowledge that just yet. Her fingers traveled across his face, testing to see if the main glyphs were there, and the symbols her fingertips traveled near just fizzled, popped, and then faded into the air like they had ripped away from his skin entirely. It was too easy; they were not the main ones. She ignored the fact that she was beginning to trail blood on him from her right fingertips now, but did seem irritated that she hadn't yet found the strongest glyphs. Isalien could smell the stink of burned-up magic around her at this point; it stank like hair on fire. Gross.

"Almost... done..." she whispered, concentrating on the glyphs under his shirts, growling when they wouldn't disappear when she tried to destroy them through the shirt. Now she could noticeably feel her power reserves running very low, but she was so close to completely destroying the network of glyphs that she simply stuck her hands under his shirt and against his chest and continued her work. One glyph was harder than any other to destroy, and she assumed that was the main one.

Head pounding, she gritted her teeth and squeezed out that last bit of power inside of her, relieved when the stubborn glyph finally flared against her fingers and dissolved like the others, if a bit more dramatically. After that, it seemed the network of glyphs committed suicide, no longer able to sustain themselves after the main glyph had gone.

Shakily, Isalien distanced herself from Beal and lowered herself to the ground, panting from the stressful job she'd finally completely without too much harm to either of them.

"Did I get all of them?" she asked, trying to stand back up without wobbling. "Can you either lend me more power or find us a way out of here?"
Any emotions left in her were muted. She was too tired to feel much of anything just then, but three emotions were close to obvious; hope, giddy relief, and fear.

((Yes. While sleeping, I typed a response. I was actually in surgery during this particular post. Isn't that normal?))

Beal waited almost patiently as the girl started breaking his bonds. The manacles fell to the ground in few pieces, each on cracking the ground as it landed. He grimaced as she opened his jacket and put her hands under his shirt to destroy the wards. His heart pumped with anticipation.

It was odd though feeling this girl's fingers on his cold and black mottled flesh. The only times he remembered people touching him was when the wizards put the bonds on him in the first place and the hands of the people that had clawed at him for their lives. A scent tickled his nostrils, blood and spent magic. She was basically painting blood on him while she removed the glyphs,
I guess her flesh can't handle the burn of magic.

Beal had remained stoically indifferent while she talked at him, he was just waiting for her to be done. As she was working he lost himself in imagining the horrible things he would do and the people he would do them to. He almost didn't hear the girl as she asked if she had gotten all of the glyphs. In response Beal flexed all the muscles in his body and a slight pressure radiated from his body. He unleashed a feral grin, shifting a piece of the broken visor that was still on his face. Oh, he'd forgotten about that. With a slow hand he reached carefully to his face so he didn't hit himself with his now light hands. The pieces fell to the ground with a clatter and he slowly opened his eyes as the girl asked for more power or a way out.

The lids slid apart to reveal two red irises that gleamed with a hypnotic affect. From looking at these eyes it was obvious that, should it be wished, they would drive the strongest of wills to crumble. He gazed at the girl, not taking his eyes off her face as he took her bleeding fingers into his hand and licked the blood from them.
"We're going to the dean's office. Maybe we'll find a snack along the way."

Without pretense or warning, he scooped her up around the waist and with stomach turning speed, ascended the steps and shot down the halls. He came sharply around a corner and had to touch the ground briefly to stabilize himself before bolting down and stopping in front of a door. Setting the girl down he stared at the door. Sure enough there were wards. Beal lifted his arm toward the door and as his hand blackened all the way up his arm to his elbow. The now claw tipped fingers touched the door and before the wards could activate, the energy holding them in place was sucked toward the vacuum within Beal. The energy swirled around his arm, invisible to those without the vision to see it. and would stay there until it burned out.
"Here" he extended a hand toward the girl, the blackness receding into his skin.

When the energy was gone he pushed the door open and with all the sound and swiftness of a breeze he swept into the room and grabbed the scepter out of it's port. With his hands black once again he gripped the accursed thing and drained the energy out of it. He drained it until the orb grew empty and cracked. Satisfied, Beal tossed it away. The energy swirled around him until it was pulled to the black patches of skin on his body. He hadn't stored the magic, his body treated it like a germ. Beal now had antibodies to counter this magic should anyone try to bind him again. Now all that was left was to escape the school itself. He stepped out of the dean's office, and turned to look at the girl. For a moment he just stood there staring at her with his eyes. He could just ditch her, leave her here to fend for herself...a small part of his being recalled the similarities he'd noticed between himself and this girl.

"The dean will be here shortly, girl. You want to leave this place?"

((I wouldn't know anything about normal))

Isalien watched Beal with a mild curiosity until he opened his eyes. It wasn't quite panic or outright fear, but there was something that made her skin prickle while she watched his tongue sweep the blood off her fingers, unnerved by the eye contact, feeling like she'd been splashed with ice water. Why didn't she feel like pulling away? She should have been frightened by him more than ever, what with her fatigue and again-powerless state.

A snack, he said... like they were going on a road trip and may stop at a convenience store. She hated it, but her lips twitched with a poorly concealed grin. Then all of a sudden she felt like she was airborn, immediately disoriented and clinging to whatever had swooped her up, which a few seconds later she finally realized was Beal. She was too tired for the excitement just then and opted for clamping her eyes shut and refusing to budge until she was set back on her limp-noodle legs.

Her head was still moving but she steadied when she saw a lovely amount of power being offered to her which she instantly reached out to and soaked up through her fingertips.

That was nice. A rush of energy swarmed her, relit her like she had been a dying candle. Oh, that was nice...

She didn't even notice Beal had left her side and entered the Dean's office. Until she felt a presence approaching and turned her head, instantly wishing she could find her voice.

There was the Dean, all the way at the other end of the corridor, accompanied by what she thought was two magicians... and three massive wolves with an uncanny shine of human intelligence in their eyes. She couldn't see their eyes quite yet... but she knew that's what they would look like. Werewolves. She hated werewolves. Isalien stared at them in terror, saw them bare their dripping fangs at her when they caught wind of her fear. She hated them... They had no power to steal, and any fear they scented triggered their deadly urge to kill.

Then Beal emerged from the Dean's office and she stared at him in terror for a few seconds before skittering closer to him, no longer unnerved by his eyes on her. Beal stated that the Dean would there soon, and Isalien pointed far down the hall at the Dean and his bodyguards.

"Too late," she whispered. Her eyes tore away from the werewolves and stared up at Beal, appearing fearless despite the copious amount of the scent of it on her skin. "I can't do anything with the werewolves unless I have power; I have enough to kill one, and I can take the magicians' power and destroy the others if you don't. The Dean... he needs to die. This isn't a school, it's a prison, and it's not going to change anyone. He'll just kill them or reform them to make them his servants, probably."

Before she could continue her hasty rant, the Dean's voice called out to them, echoing off the walls.

"Oh, you troublemakers. I expected more out of you, Little Destroyer... what was it again? Selina? Isleen? Oh, wait... Isaliena Murrik, wasn't it? Yes, that's it. I suggest you cooperate with me, Isaliena. I don't want to hurt you, little one. And you've made a dangerous partner, I see."

Isalien looked at the Dean and then back up at Beal, looking annoyed now.
"Let's just kill them... You try to get the wolves, alright? I'll get the magicians, and whoever finishes first will get the stupid fat fool."

Faroh Chrisler
[SPOILI]
anime_boy1.jpg
[/SPOILI]

Faroh didn't want to be here, he knew that, and he wanted to make sure everyone knew it too, there was nothing "Wrong" with him, as his father had stated a couple of nights ago, apparently he needed to be "Cured", "Easy for him to say" Faroh thought to himself as he walked casually walked out of the dirty bus which had driven him here, as he neared the build which read "Reception" he stopped and looked around, he saw other people, around his age, some younger some older, all with unique abilities he presumed, but he didn't care much for those that weren't his own kind, he stammered slightly as a sharp pain jolted through his body, his black attire managed to stop the sun from burning him to a crisp, but he still felt pain from time to time, he walked into he reception building and up to the main desk, "Erm, do I need to sign in or something?", "Why yes, what's your name?" the receptionist replied, no reason to be hated, but he still despised her
"Faroh, Faroh Chrisler", "Oh Faroh, you have quite the history, you better not try any of that here", he felt like retaliating, she was trying to belittle him, show authority, but he just ignored he remark, and turned towards the door, as he left she shouted "You'll get your time table tomorrow", he muttered under his breath, and walked to where the bus driver had said his dorm would be, he saw others hanging around there, others not like him, "they'll get their time" he though to himself, you all will.

Beal's only answer was a gust of win as he ran past the girl, who's name he now knew to be Isaliena Murrik. The large werewolves hesitated briefly before snarling and charging at Beal. One jumped high and the other ducked low to attack his legs. In response Beal punched the airborne wolf under it's muzzle and brought his knee up at the lower wolf. With a yelp the first wolf spun and smashed into the ceiling while the second wolf let out a gurgling snarl as Beal's knee drove through the wolf's muzzle with a crunch.

Before the first wolf could touch the ground he grabbed it out of the air and slammed it into the ground. With a swift movement he brought his hand back and punched it down into the wolf's skull. He heard the sound of cracking, the sound of the other wolf's muzzle starting to repair itself. Beal swung his arm around and hit the wolf with it's companion who's head was still impaled on his fist. The second wolf was swept aside and crashed into a wall, and shortly after the first wolf was launched from Beal's arm at the magicians. Only now had they started preparing to cast spells, but it only seemed like it had taken them so long because Beal and wolves had been moving so fast. The second wolf recovered faster than Beal expected threw itself against him. It's jaws locked onto Beal's neck and shook savagely, and the wolf felt puzzled for possibly the first time as it's teeth couldn't immediately punch through flesh.

With complete calm, Beal swung the wolf around despite it being larger than him, and smashed it against a wall as if trying to run through it. The wolf did not let go but tried harder to bite through the black-mottled skin, succeeding only in causing shallow cuts. The wolf didn't realized he wasn't getting anywhere and released Beal from it's jaws, scrabbling at him to try and escape. The skin on Beal's arms from elbow to his finger tips turned black, claws forming at his fingers. Bolts of magic struck hurled from the magician struck his head and back, he payed them no mind as the bolts fizzled out upon touching his skin.

Too late the wolf realized the horrifying coldness that surrounded this creature, it had pushed it's instincts to run away aside and had attacked for fear of being punished, when it was this...man he should have feared more. Beal grabbed the wolf by it's throat and held it pinned against the wall and ravaged the wolf's flesh with his teeth. Blood bubbled from the wolf and coated Beal's face and chest and the wolf's agonized howl gurgled in it's throat. Pulling his face away from the wolf, ripping flesh off in the process, he plunged his clawed hand into the wolf's abdomen. It's cries were cut off as it's body turned into an almost completely dry husk. A shriveled wolf corpse fell to the ground, blood still leaked from the wound with less enthusiasm as the heart had stopped beating. The wolf's life force swirled around Beal's body now, at his disposal.

Beal turned around to face where the magicians were standing, blood dripping down his chin, looking for the dean.

((Little did Faroh know, upstairs, shit was getting real))

Beal seemed to have no hesitance in attacking the Dean's posse, but Isalien just stood there slack-jawed for a second, green eyes watery and wide. She saw the Dean grin and wave his fat fingers at her, but his eyes were cold and held an obvious warning: "cooperate or die" is what she read it as. That silent threat was the last straw, and she snapped. The wolves were locked in a battle with the man, which she was relieved to see as she sprinted past them, almost getting pummeled by the flying wolf corpse that ended up hitting the short magician. Ha! There was her first target, then. No way could he get that wolf off of him without help. Unfortunately, that also meant none of his power was available externally --not in a quickly accessible way, that is-- , leaving her with one other method of consuming it.

She heard the Dean's voice shout at the magician just before she touched her open mouth to the mage's, forcing his lips apart by pinching either side of his mouth with one hand like she was trying to make him look like a fish.
"Put up your block! Put it up, you fool!" the Dean raged.

But it was too late. Every ounce of the magician's power was sucked from his being and filled a portion of Isalien's reserves, but instead of killing him with it, she went straight for the other mage and unleashed a quarter of her reserves onto his face. He screamed in agony and clutched his face, his neck, his chest, trying desperately to hold his skin together somehow. To say the least, he was too distracted to keep up any sort of shield, something that Isalien had bet on.

"You imbecile!" the Dean shouted, veins bulging in his neck. "You should have put up your block and barrier!"

Isalien listened to his cruel remarks while she gave the wounded mage the same treatment as the first, though she seemed to hesitate, not wanting to touch her lips to his bloody, raw ones. She did it anyways and was rewarded with more power than the first mage had given her. It made her smile when she pulled away and put him out of his misery with a quick, minimal burst of power to his neck and ducking as a spurt of blood shot at her. It would have gone over her head if he hadn't been falling to the ground, but in this case Isalien was bathed in blood down the right side of her face, neck and chest.

She grimaced, but seconds later turned to the Dean with a frigid, forced little smile. He tried to talk her out of attacking him.
"Miss Murrik, you do realize that I have called for help, do you not? And even if you run, we know where you will go, back to your forest." His words were low and meant to sound calm, but he rushed through them and a bead of sweat dripped down his brow.

"Does being obese affect your intelligence?" Isalien asked, still stepping towards him. "My home is my own, made for my access alone. Just like no ordinary being can enter the realm of the lesser gods, none can enter my section of my forest. You only caught me because I was outside of those boundaries... You won't live to see me make that mistake again."

Her hand was outstretched, and the Dean looked furious, terrified, and incedulous.

The first warning should have been that his eyes were drawn over her right shoulder suddenly. The second should have been the smirk that twisted his mouth and filled his eyes with the same arrogance. Isalien quickly turned to see what he was so thrilled about and was instantly thankful that she had turned so fast. Had she turned slower, the bullet would have gone through her back instead of skimming across her chest before lodging itself against the far side of her left collarbone. It seemed to be caught in the underside of it. If it had been any higher it would have harmlessly bounced off the metal brace still stuck around her neck.

That stupid mage had gotten out from under the wolf's corpse somehow, though she had assumed he was too scrawny to, and was on his knees with a gun still aimed at her. It wasn't a normal gun. The wound hurt like in all the ways other bullet wounds did, though she briefly wondered if the delicate bone was shattered. But unlike most bullet wounds, this one felt of magic. It worked to her advantage well enough; its power was unused, still dormant, so she soaked it into herself. Still, she was irritated at the pain and wanted to brutally torture him without thought.

To fulfill her wish, she just raised her hands and let loose energy at the mage, who still had no power with which to raise his shields. The deterioration of his skin started at his chest and spread like water splashed against a marble floor. He shouted and cursed her, but refused to put down his gun. She felt large arms hold her in place, pulling her hands behind her back and pulling down, a move that made it feel like a knife was twisting in her flesh near her collarbone. The mage shot at her once again, this time with poor aim that only earned him a wound on the fleshy inside of her thigh, merely a flesh wound through fat and skin. But it stung like a bitch, which pissed her off even more, especially since her hands were held captive, and she sent out two broad waves of power at him, one at his face, and one at the hand holding the gun. He let off two other reckless rounds right before it hit him, and one of them she thought would go through her side, but instead she heard the Dean grunt. She didn't see where the other went just yet.

Isalien whipped around, stumbling away from the Dean when he released her. She glanced at the mage, screaming in pain on the floor and no longer a threat, and then turned back to the Dean. He was so fat and she so small that she turned out to be a useless shield for him; there was a small hole in his chest that was beginning to bleed profusely, but she knew it wouldn't be enough to kill him. For half a second, she wondered why a bullet she thought would hit her side had ended up in his chest high above her waist, but she threw the thought away.

Using the last of her store of power, she shoved her finger inside the wound and let the power explode out of her ruthlessly, contained to stay inside of his body. As his insides liquified, the Dean looked down at her blankly.

"You thought I wouldn't see your skin's shield?" she asked quietly, ripping her finger out of the bullet wound. "Oh, that's right... I forgot to tell you-- I can see magic and power. Idiot. And my name is Isalien."

For some odd reason, the Dean smirked at her as he fell to the ground and died. Isalien frowned and looked around. There was no other threats, and the man that was her sort-of-partner had just finished killing the last of the wolves. Confused, she looked down at herself to make sure she hadn't missed anything. One of the bullets had hit gone through her side, very near to the edge on the left. How had she not felt that...? She was certainly feeling it now, though she kept her paling face straight as possible. Other than the pain and lingering fear, she seemed relieved. Her entire battle lasted around thirty seconds, a very average score for her.

"... Don't smirk. I'm still alive, aren't I?" she muttered at the Dean's body before turning to Beal. She almost walked towards him, but decided to keep still for a while. "If we're going to leave, we should do it now before more enemies arrive. I may bring the entire school down on our heads if I fight anymore. Why doesn't it seem like any of that blood your own? Wolves are some of the meanest fighters, no one escapes completely unharmed."

She thought she heard footsteps approaching from somewhere, and just like that her heart started pumping fear into her again.

" Nevermind, it doesn't matter. Let's go. We should be able to reach my home within two hours and rest until they've stopped searching. Or you can go your own way once we get out of here," she suggested, already swaying down the hall the same way she had been led in when first arriving at the school, hoping the exit wasn't far. She wondered why there wasn't a huge amount of blood running from the wound on her thigh; she knew there was an important artery or vein on the inner thigh, but that bullet had missed it somehow. Maybe it hadn't gone quite deep enough. Whatever the reason, she was relieved. There wasn't quite as much desperation as there would have been if her wounds were worse.

((The shit has indeed become real. Finally finished editting in some details. Sorreh. What kind of moron forgets there's a femoral artery there... ugh... *facepalm*))

When Beal looked to where the Dean had been he saw the girl, Isalien, barely standing with blood covering herself. It appeared she had been injured and some of the blood had been hers. He noted that once again she was out of power. When he heard her comment about the wolves he absently wiped the blood dripping from his chin and spat out of wad of furry blood. "Then I'm No One." All he had to show for his fight with the wolves was a series of indentations on either side of his neck and the blood on his face and clothes.

Beal stared after the wavering girl, her power gone....He didn't need her any more. She had removed his bonds and now he couldn't be bound in the same way. The stench of fear was seeping from her body, it called to Beal. It would be easy to over power her and take her life force. She was too small to be much of a meal, she'd have to do as a snack until he ran into something with more meat on its bones, plenty of students in this school to choose from. Before Beal realized it he was already moving toward her and hesitated. There was no reason for him be hesitating....

Face scrunched up in a snarl, Beal sped forward leaving a tail of power streaming behind him. He grabbed the girls wrists in one hand and pinned them against a wall above her head, the displaced air finally caught up with him and gently blew Isalien's hair over her eyes. Snarling and bearing his teeth, Beal's other blackened hand was positioned to spear through her belly, the sharp claws poking through her clothes and pricking her flesh. There wasn't a reason for him not to was there?
"What's stopping me from just gutting you?" It sounded threatening, but he didn't realize he was waiting for an actual answer.

((Yeah the femoral artery....so obvious, man))

"Then let's go, No One. I don't know about you, but the only place I am safe is home."

Her back was facing him when he decided to attack her, so she had no idea he was persuing her until she was against a wall with her wrists held too tightly above her head. She squeaked from a mixture of surprise, fear, and pain, and tried to glue her back to the wall to keep from agitating her wounds by stretching out or struggling. The small bullet that had lodged just under her collarbone was disturbed and slid out of the wound, landing on the floor with a ping.

Hair covered her face, blown forward by a rush of air and power that she automatically tried to inhale. There was little, but it was more reassuring to have that small amount than have nothing at all. It calmed the terror that started to set in; she was a powerful creature, very deadly and hard to destroy -- unless you magaged to catch her and prevent her from fighting back. Then she was virtually defenseless unless the enemy made the mistake of letting their power seep out of them and supplying her with more ammo. All Isalien knew at that point was that she was in pain, nearly out of power, and firmly restrained. There was no way to escape this. Somehow the thought of dying did little to her emotions.

Isalien shook her head as carefully as she could, and then stared up at her attacker once her hair had shifted. It was the man who could have been the closest thing to an ally she'd had in years, but that hope was crushed when she saw his expression, one she couldn't even name. Predatorial? Enraged? And then he threatened her verbally and she decided upon predatorial for the moment.

Gut her? Why would he want to gut her? She had helped him... she had kept her word, and even now was offering him a place to hide until they were safe. It was a silly thing to feel, because she had trained herself to never trust anyone not to harm her in the first place, but Isalien still felt betrayed, and alone again. Confusion and something like sadness was evident on her face as she gaped up at Beal, then down at the claws barely snagged in the soft flesh of her stomach, and back at him again.

The rush of fear kept coming, but this time she didn't feel any safer for it. Normally the fear made her feel more wary, more capable of catching things before they harmed her, but here it was too late. She didn't even have enough power to damage him, because her hands were captured and she'd have to let the power out in a broad burst that would probably do little more than irritate him. He still had power left, but it was not external enough for her to inhale it yet.

Defeat was humiliating enough, especially since she had been so easily beat, but nothing was more prominent than the helpless feeling that it was her own fault her life was in someone else's hands. Sure, her existence was based solely on the need to rid the world of evil, and her life was a cycle; live, die, return, live, die, return. Or so she had been told. She couldn't remember any past lives, though sometimes she wondered why she would feel baseless emotions triggered by something random. A voice, a face, a sight, a scent, or sometimes just an emotion of missing certain people whose identities she didn't know. But it could all be lies.

"...Nothing," she admitted quietly. "I can't fight you now. I wouldn't fight you if I could; I promised not to leave you, and that meant promising I wouldn't kill you. So nothing's stopping you. It would have been better to do this before I got hopeful, though."

Shifting her weight was a horrible idea, but she didn't think before doing so and felt a harsh sting in her right leg when her other thigh rubbed against it. Her leg wobbled, almost buckled, but she remembered the claws at her gut and forced herself to stay balanced on her good leg, holding her wounded one away from it and resting her toes lightly on the ground.

"But why now? Why not someone else, one that didn't think of you as a partner, one more challenging?" she asked. Although she was quivering, she still had enough of a brain to be curious. If she was really going to die, she wanted to know the reasoning behind her death. "Why am I worth the time to kill? I thought... I thought that you were going to stay with me until we were out."

((Sorry for the longer than usual wait, been preoccupied))

Beal was confused, he should have killed this girl as soon as his shackles were off. He didn't need her any more after that, being partnered with her would only slow him down. She asked him why she was worth killing. Because it's what he did he killed...he took lives, stole life force from those too weak to prevent him from doing so, which so far had been no one. The simple answer to her question was because he could kill whoever whenever, but that's not what confused him. The fact that he wouldn't kill her right away is what puzzled him.

"It's just my nature" he snarled. Beal remembered the look on the girls face, the way she felt. He should have savored the moment, drank it in and then eaten her. He became more agitated. No one who affects me this way should live! Suddenly a face came to the forefront of his memory. It was a woman with dark hair and green eyes, she was spattered with blood and tears streamed down her face. There was a black sludge leaking from her mouth. Although he couldn't see it, he knew his hand was plunged into her chest. The image disappeared as soon as it appeared.

The memory caused a sharp pain in Beal's chest. He grimaced and stepped back away from the girl and released her hands. She was so light compared to his strength he didn't even notice the weight he had been supporting. It took a moment for anything to happen for the time being he just stared at her with a stoic expression.

Beal walked down the hall a short ways where a large window was set into the wall. He peered out and saw the wall at the end of the schools grounds. Without much effort he smashed all the glass free of the window and then walked back to Isalien. Overpowering and ignoring any attempt to stop him, Beal scooped Isalien up from the ground and returned to the window. His foot placed on the window sill, he said
"Guide me" and jumped. The windowsill and the wall it was on cracked from the force of the jump that sent them sailing over the wall.