Skills & Hobbies: You vs Your Characters!

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
I couldn't decide if I wanted to make this a roleplay topic or a member topic, so I went with both! :D

When you're developing a character, one of the first things you think about are the skills, talents, or hobbies they are really good at. Cooking, art, music, kung-fu, scuba diving, etc and so on. Little skill sets like this can help shape a character's personality and their background history. On the flipside, if they're BAD at something, it can also shape how they approach life and events!

Think of some of your favorite roleplay characters. What are the skills they are great with? What are their hobbies?

Now what about yourself? If you have to write a bio sheet all about you, what sort of things would you be listing down in your skills, talents, and hobbies? Are there some things you WISH you could do and hope to do in the future?

Hah! A lot of my characters know how to wield swords, along with shooting a bow and arrow. But aside from those, I have a character who knows how to mix drinks really well (the Bartender) and another character who is a practicing monk (Zen) and meditates constantly. As far as what they do for hobbies... I honestly don't know. The Bartender I know would just drink her life away. And Zen would probably just... Meditate. XD

So here's the hobbies/skills on my character sheet:
Reading, Writing, Drawing, Painting, Sewing, Embroidery, Cooking , Playing music, Playing video games, Roleplaying, and surfing on the internet. Yeeeeaaaah, I have a rather large list.

Way back when I was told that in order to properly portray a realistic character, I would have to know how much change said character carries in their pocket at any given time.

It's simple thought, but when you think about it there's a lot more meat to that requirement than meets the eye.

Anywho, I have a bad habit that I put a little piece of me into every character I make. That could be anything from making them a runner, to giving them a sense of civic duty or even giving them a particularly dark branch of humor. Sometimes when the character falls too outside of my personality archetype I often fill the gaps in the character's life with tweaked stories that have actually happened in my life or in the lives of people close to me. I whole heartedly believe this is a bad habit, however it creates a sense of realism. It gives me the dynamics I look for in everyday life and in turn draws me into the writing.

My inability to pay attention for any given amount of time.

Both my characters and I share handyman skills, usually, and the ability to be cute and manly at the same time.