Skeletons in the Closet

AMschoQQ-NpjZ5RfZe2rIizom-bAa0rWZO9j3mYZes7nBjL8_ZK5uf-z9CG1hhGMYV-U9_dwv0DjNAlDjRo4G5PPpT8N_kGzqd9BckTwxvUdlrf91TfDKES2YYZaqMFTeVNzPEhy
As London reached out, the Shiba Inu lifted his head and stared into her eyes. He wasn't as goofy or happy as he usually was - which was admittedly a little strange - but there was a quiet and comforting quality in his gaze. I understand, it said. Things are scary and bad right now and I understand. Joseff maintained his quiet yet somewhat distant demeanor for a few more moments before closing the distance between him and London. Affectionately, the Shiba Inu licked at the girl's fingers. He then took his comforting a step further and made his way into the girl's lap. Once seated, Joseff curled up against the sad human and rested his head against London's shoulder. "Uuuu," he whimpered faintly.

Joseff didn't fully understand what was happening, but he wanted to go home - he wanted Matt.
sLTss12XPLfrT6MdqtDPJFJ_1GDZSLj8GGx3s-yyxLTAgtQWi8-8AYnqM9VE_8y8i-PbgM7O_7OjnlMXz6mlyrqZELJKof8E1OMr-TesVoDnIgtd9nhcAZlnwV9sxfWFZIFkq-zU
As her friends chimed in with their own opinions, Kelsey continued to pace around the room like a detective running terribly low on leads. Her footsteps caused the floorboards to creak, but she continued, round and round in a circle. She was with Kindle and Jace on this one, better the Putts and Michael than Him.

"Sorry, Ethan, I'm with them. Even if He - god forbid - takes control of them, I'd rather we risk it with the grandparents than find whatever is out there. Jace is onto something though, we shouldn't eat the food. I don't know about you guys, but last I remember, I was eating dinner with the family then bam, I'm in a guest room wondering if I'm going to die."

Perhaps it was a little too morbid, but Kelsey had never been good at watching her words and it was always worse when she was nervous. The pacing continued, only to stop when both boys brought up the dolls, One Man Hide and Seek, and Matt? "You guys saw an illusion of Matt?" There was a quiet reverence in her tone, as if she were in awe at how low Henbard could go. Fucked up, that was the only way to describe it. "Did it... did it act like him? What doll are you talking about?"

It seemed like plenty of things had happened during their group's separation.

Kelsey wanted to know more, but had enough sense to know it wasn't a good idea. They had just been through hell in the library and the world-weary look on everyone's faces made her drop the subject entirely.

She focused on the dolls Jace had mentioned instead. "The one they sell to tourists?" Her parents sold those exact dolls at their convenience store. They had been selling them for as long as Kelsey could remember. But how could He spy on the town with dolls? The theory didn't quite hold water just yet, but there was a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. The pumpkin dolls had been a part of Bellwood's Halloween tradition for a very long time, the same way He'd apparently been taking people for a very long time. It was possible. "It's just a dumb game," she finally said in response to Jace's question. "London and I tried it once, but it doesn't work. Not sure what that has to do with us or Henbard."

Even as everyone started to sit down, she continued to pace around the room.

"Might be best if you get everyone caught up with the clues, London. There's some very concerning stuff in there. Salem said He liked to play games, right? What if this is Him trying to reach out? Like Marten said, he doesn't want us dead. If he did, we'd be dead by now. We all saw what He did to Salem."

She wasn't sure if playing His game would be the best idea - if He'd even play by the rules or give them a fighting chance, but everything Marten was saying made sense in some twisted horror movie logic kind of way.

"Marten, remember what Salem told us in the library? He made them play house for who knows how long. What if he's trying to do the same to us? Take us and keep us here like Salem and everyone else. He didn't kill the Hayes or the servants either, he's just keeping them here. I wonder why. Jace, Kindle, you mentioned the dolls. It might sound dumb, but Salem went missing over fifty years ago, and the dolls have been in Bellwoods for forever. Salem said He had eyes and ears everywhere, didn't he? And if he conjured up Matt just to fuck with you guys..."

It was a LOT to take in.

Kelsey would have said more about the dolls and Salem, but she lost her train of thought. It felt like she was grasping at straws while simultaneously watching them slip through her fingers. They had the puzzle pieces, she knew they had - but haphazard puzzle pieces scattered around didn't exactly equal a finished picture. It didn't make sense, not yet.

Keys... something about the keys.

She focused on the words Marten had said before her head snapped up. "Jace, when Salem gave you his emblem, do you remember what he said? He said they were keys and that the one he'd given you was his key. That means the rest of the keys most likely belong to everyone else in Henbard? Not only that, he only gave us half of his emblem. Where's the other half? Salem turned to stone when he gave us half, what happens if we had taken the whole pin?"

So many damn questions. Kelsey paced back and forth, stopping to kick the wall. "Fuck, if only we could figure this out. Kindle, if you could maybe channel your inner Sherlock right about now?"

IpyR9CX.png
Arms wrapping around the fluffy Shiba Inu, London felt a tightness in her chest uncoil. She could be suspicious of Jo later; right now, she just wanted - no, needed, to hold someone. It was time to tell her friends about the cellar and share her Cryptodex findings, no matter how hard it hurt. She just... needed a moment.

"Down in the cellar, he-... We saw-... Matt was-..."
No. She couldn't talk about that - couldn't make herself relive it through the telling of the horror story. London would leave the task to Ana or Ethan because she knew if she so much as tried explaining what had happened, she'd lose her shit again. Or worse, just cry.

And crying was not going to get them out of Henbard.

Instead, she peeled away one hand from Jo's soft fur and gripped her worn Cryptodex. Stared at it long and hard. It wasn't completely hers anymore, no matter how many entries she'd posted prior to having it nabbed and vandalized. Sure, the pumpkin creature probably helped them by doing so, but finding it in herself to be grateful was proving difficult.

Taking a deep breath, London flipped the Cryptodex open to the first new entry and leaned up to set it on the mattress behind her. "I think the pumpkin thing wrote in it," she said. Ran her fingers through Jo's fur in calming, soothing strokes that helped settle her nerves. "There's a letter from Michael to Santa, wishing for a Christmas tree. It talks about his dead parents." Flipping to the next entry, her lips curled into a frown. "This one talks about a Grim. Erm... a hell hound. Grims smell like sulfur and visit people who are about to die. Hence the name, Grim. They're also, supposedly, gate guards to the underworld." And, finally, pointing to the last entry. "This one has instructions for One Man Hide-and-Seek."

A proposition sat on the tip of London's tongue, but she didn't know if she wanted to go through with it: The sharing of her Cryptodex. Usually London would have never allowed anyone permission to write in it, but the pumpkin creature had crossed that line and stomped it to pieces in the process. The group needed all the information they could get and London could supply them an easy way to organize it. Maybe in doing so, she could turn a bad thing into something good.

'Sharing is caring' after all. Or, at least, that's what Abuelita had said.

"If you-... If you want, you can write entries in it,"
London finally offered. "There's plenty of room and- well, I- we've all had different experiences here... So... Yeah. It'd help, I think."

She hoped so, anyway.

Last edited:
Wx3Tihy.png

Bingo! Her mind supplied at Kelsey's deductions. She was thinking just that in her puttering mind. We are the replacements. The Putts' are sagging, Michael wants Christmas instead of Halloween. Ella has... other friends, and Castor isn't the friendliest dog in the world... Butzy's getting bored.

She couldn't think of Salem at the moment. It was still too soon on that one. Poor guy. At least he's with his real folks now. Getting aware from her morbid thoughts, Marten tuned in on London as much as she could. They'd seen Matt of all people? If she had the energy, she would have groaned. Instead she sat up to scoot closer to her friend, laying her head on the opposite side of Joseff because dog breath was awful when the doggy at lots of human food, and he was a barking refrigerator.

She wanted to ask her if she was okay, but she already knew the answer. Of course not. None of them were for that matter. She hummed, "It could be the kind of thing like in Toy Story, where the Prospector doll was so upset by not getting picked from the shelves that he got mad and started being a dick to all the other dolls. 'Cept in this case, the doll became an evil, little shit. Or... the old lady that used to live here like Adelaide said got so lonesome in the woods, that she started a game she couldn't finish and now we're all having to deal with it." Her encyclopedia of inane, animated references was activating as the teen switched onto her internal backup generator. Not to mention, no one ever said what the doll did after it won the game.

In Soviet Russia, doll play house with you! -- Good gosh, is this what I've become?! Where was a Powerthirst when you needed one! She'd even take Ethan up on his offers of milk at this point. The brain-baking hair dye chemicals must have been catching up with her. Hopefully her friends were merciful and would just kill her if she really did end up losing her freaking mind from all this.

MyOUsBQYItiOSZcDXRhG132pcy5vuQL4rWeB2fxWIqO18Gol-YEKaM0H68Ib8JHF9GOu2tlG2lV7kyhk-2nCNg_dGe_Ruc-TgcTwtvTUDTEfmXp2VGEEY8ubgG13i9jR16sUXUSg
Ethan groaned, here he was trying to erase the memory of Fake!Matt from his mind but Kindall says he and everyone else who went to the cellar have to show and tell what happened...The whole thing never really left his system, it was something that would stay fresh in his mind for years to come and would constantly pop-up again whenever he'd talk to Matt--after they get out of here that is. "Illusion didn't even begin to cover it."

It wasn't some corny-ass parlor trick you'd see at Samantha Claire's 10th birthday party, or some dumb sleight of hand show with a production value and talented crew behind it, it all felt real...surreal, even. He sounded like Matt, he looked like Matt, even acted and fucking smelled like Matt. If he had to best describe it to his friends, it was like looking at a fun house mirror and getting lost in the maze. It was you, but it wasn't you. The more you start spotting the discrepancies between your real self and the reflection, the more horrifying the image becomes. "He came out of some closet, landed straight into me. We were both confused and relieved." he looked around at the room, discomfort was becoming apparent in his visage as he continued with his story. "We found out he was fuckin' spilling his guts on the goddamn floor..." He recalled how London and Kindall tried to save him, even as the mirage of Matt was "dying" in front of them. "'Matt' went limp, and we all just fucking crossed over to the despair horizon. Next thing we knew he gets up, a smile plastered on his face and he started melting!" It was even kind of comical, were it not a cruel practical joke meant to string them along a path of tears. "Oh, but not before telling London she was cute. Especially when she's smiling."

He glanced at Kindall, London, and Ana, murmuring if he left anything out or if his summary was a little too on the nose. It was...really weird though. How did that thing even know so much about Matt? Down to the littlest details of his mannerism and speech, yet the glaring difference was there, hidden behind a veil. Ethan watched as P.I. Kelsey Crane continued to mull about and pace in the room, waiting for her Eureka! moment. "Aiaiaiai, what's next? Our parents?" He didn't want it to be, but it certainly wouldn't be impossible.

All this talk about keys and emblems just made Ethan reminisce about Resident Evil, especially the first one. With it's big-ass mansion and collecting tons of keys and emblems and placing them in the most inane of places.

Last edited:
Jace_Banner.png

"That was my point exactly." Jace said as he followed Kelsey with his eyes. "You saw the pumpkin thing, right?" He looked to London briefly, not really waiting for an answer. "I caught a glimpse of it when you guys got trapped in the library with us. It looks just like that doll back in town." He turned to Marten then as she mentioned Toy Story. He didn't quite understand her reference directly, but he knew what she was getting at. "What if, whether a game of One Man Hide and Seek or by some otherworldly circumstance, the dolls are sentient? That asshole pipsqueak could very well be one of those dolls." Now Jace was pacing. He paused to glance at the Cryptodex.

"Shit, man. That looks like Castor.." He let out a shaky breath. The image of the hell hound bore a striking resemblance to the doberman that he, Ethan, and Ana met back at the cave where they ran into Salem. That worried him deeply; the last thing they needed was to have to fight some hellspawn canine. It made Jace wish more and more that he had brought Kenai out on the search with them. Then again, he was glad he didn't, as he would hate for something to happen to him. Having heard Ethan speak of Matt, Jace gave him a pained expression. "Don't even throw that out in the universe, man. It might just happen.." He didn't like to think that he might see anyone of his family members in Henbard. The idea of the hell hound taking on Kenai's image made his stomach lurch.

"'All the emblems are keys.'" Jace recalled rhetorically with a shrug as Kelsey went on. It seemed that she was onto something. "Most likely. That's why I think the marks on those toys might have something to do with it. One of them had a crow just like Salem's pin; and Ana remembered that another had an axe. Also remember how one of the ponies kind of looked like Paul? What if the marks correspond to the keys, and the dolls themselves to the people who hold them?" He suggested, speaking more and more fervently and making gestures with his hands. Rather one hand made gestures while the other emphatically swung the rolling pin. He too looked at Milton, hoping for some of his mystery-solving insight.

iUgQ80i.png
Lenore's first reaction upon entering the room was to snatch Salem's coat off the bed. She took it with her to the top of the bookcase and made a tiny nest. She found contentment within the smooth folds, inhaling the familiar scent. The notion of time had no real meaning to a bird like her but loneliness did. Salem stayed with her for so long she forgot she had been wild once. A bird with a broken wing struggling painfully on the forest floor. When she pushed herself to remember more, hazy wisps filled her mind. Salem's face and voice stood out clearest within her mind. Humans would have called this feeling sadness or longing but Lenore had no equivalent words to describe her pain. It was very different from any physical pain she had experienced before. She felt a strange crushing weight bowing her frail body, rendering unable to caw. Was this the price she paid for being someone's pet?

Her dulled eyes continued studying the humans beneath her in a detached manner. Absent minded but still very intelligent. Lenore blinked slowly. She believed she had time to grieve. The humans looked very settled. They were communicating. She knew this from experience although she could never understand the words they spoke. Bringing a single wing up over her head, the raven tucked her head underneath. Solace. She used the remaining time in the young master's room to consolidate the few memories she had. Salem, her Salem, she didn't want to forget him ever.
ghSpqERTF2hNKlsK9JLORjIgTLTw3Ee03SX2OVfKWlHGrwA4Y4IG8xU21r_yjrCQNGfiuWvbydTfftNPTa3AFF2hSJf07JxYm4VvXoyZ6CER1pjVc3ofhE_OulDs595Z0uMZIkGr
Kindall remained stiller than the grieving bird. His right hand cupped his chin while the cogs in his mind spun wildly. He was starting over from ground zero. This time he chose to go with the assumption that the supernatural existed. Milton hated the idea honestly but he prided himself as being a rational being. No sane person would reject a conclusion when the proof was overwhelming. Most of his lived experiences fitted smoothly into the framework. However, he couldn't draw any solid conclusions from them. He had a nagging feeling that they missed a big clue along the way. Salem threw them so many hints that he wasn't surprised this happened.

Humming came from the frustrated sherlock. The familiar tune was none other than Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater. He grabbed the proud quill from Salem's ink stand with every intention of penning down his thoughts. Unable to find paper, he strolled towards London and snatched the cryptodex. He sat back down on the chair and began scribbling in ernest. He continued in his own little world (not quite) oblivious to the ongoing conversation. Kindle's tune changed midway through his planned list. He appeared to be singing a completely under his breath.

He didn't stop singing even after he tossed Salem's quill to the floor and offending Lenore in the process. He ignored the angry bird, choosing to proofread his list. This was followed by him reading through Mini P's entries. Smiling slightly, he walked back to London and gave her the cryptodex. "Thanks," he spoke, sounding normal-ish again. "I needed that."

Oblivious to the potential anguish he might have caused, the happier Kindle went back to his chair and plonked himself down. "I think I sang the wrong song earlier. I was trying my best to remember that song we used to sing in Kindergarten. You remember it, Eth? Running around in circles around one person. That person would then pull people into the circle. OH YES! The Farmer in the Dell!"

Grabbing a more modern looking pen, he dashed back to London and snatched the cryptodex again before she could fully react to what he had done earlier. He scribbled furiously then passed it to back. "Yes, nursery rhymes! They have been providing us lots of clues recently, no? I have a theory but I need more clues. Thanks Kelsey! You inspired something today."

Nothing more was said about his sudden fascination with the trip down memory lane. The whole action was so uncharacteristic of Milton that it seemed like he was cracking under the stress. "There's no telling what he wants next. Peter seems systematic, that's all I'd like to add. I think he prefers to deal with us first before he brings in more people. The pumpkin dolls prove it. He could have seen these dolls being sold in Bellwoods hence he made his little spies to look like them. Think of that cartoon thing you liked Kelsey …. Cora-something. Sounded like Carolina."

"Caw, caw, caw," Lenore cried suddenly out of habit. Salem, her master, would always be so engrossed in his book that he wouldn't notice the soft rattling of the tea trolley pulling up to his door. He would even miss the soft knock. "Caw!"

True enough, there was a soft knock shortly after she began stirring. Two sharp raps followed by a pause. When no one spoke up, the person outside rapped the door smartly once again. The person couldn't be Michael as the knocking sound came from higher up the door. A spot that was definitely out of the tea boy's reach.

"Young master, the Missus and I brought you some tea." A creaky man's voice called out.

sLTss12XPLfrT6MdqtDPJFJ_1GDZSLj8GGx3s-yyxLTAgtQWi8-8AYnqM9VE_8y8i-PbgM7O_7OjnlMXz6mlyrqZELJKof8E1OMr-TesVoDnIgtd9nhcAZlnwV9sxfWFZIFkq-zU
Kelsey went quiet as Matt was brought up a second time. The look on London's face screamed utter hurt and Kelsey felt her heart sink for her friends. Forcing them to play a twisted game was one thing, tormenting them psychologically... that was something else. The most troubling part about it - whoever had taken them had known about Matt, meaning that by extension, whoever had taken them knew enough about their personal lives to utilize whatever made them tick.

It was a frightening thought, and suddenly, Ethan's statement about them facing off against their own parents didn't seem so far-fetched. "It can make illusions then... if that's the case, we'll have to be careful. We can't trust everything we see or hear. For all we know, the sadistic fuck will try to trick us and turn us against each other."

She stopped pacing and finally sat down on the bed beside Marten. She sat silently as everyone exchanged theories of their own. Adding illusions to the mix gave them a heckuva lot more to worry about. This was the most quiet she'd been since they'd entered Salem's room. Even as everyone talked and as Lenore took flight, she stayed seated and somber.

Kindle's humming finally snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Hey, you okay over there? We can't have you losing your mind just yet, Kindle."

He went on to bring up a nursery rhyme and something about Coraline. Linking the disappearances in Bellwoods to a children's show was almost laughable, but the Other Mother had dolls spy on kids before taking them... and Jace, London, Ana, and Kindle had seen the living pumpkin doll with their very own eyes. "I don't know about that. I guess it's possible."

Before the discussion could go any further, Lenore started to caw.

"Right, moment of truth." Kelsey gave everyone a hesitant glance, then stood up and made her way toward the door. She pulled it open to reveal Alfonse. The old butler was holding a generously sized teacup and he wore a somber look on his face. It wasn't as noticeable as it was back in the cellar, but there was no doubt that his skin had started to sag.

Standing behind him was Mrs. Putts with a trolley cart. She was in the same situation as her husband, and only the young Michael seemed unaffected by the strange occurrence happening to both his grandparents. Michael stood at the very back, staring worriedly down the hall.

Kelsey took a step back, allowing them to enter.
HoYsdRE.png
Alfonse was the first to enter, and as soon as his wife and grandson were safely inside, he shut the door behind them and brought his pointer finger to his lips. "We mustn't let Him know that we're on you're side, and we mustn't let Him know that we are aware of the young master's departure." The last phrase seemed to weigh down on him, to hurt him.

"I told the young master it was too dangerous. I hope he thought it was worth it."
cmdSJdD.png
"He'll turn house upside down in no time... He's very upset."

"I'm sure of it," Alfonse answered. "There'll be hell to pay for sure."

Mrs. Putts placed a hand on her husband's shoulder. She was sure they were confusing the children, and after the ordeal at the library, that was the last thing the kids needed. The young master's sacrifice had set everything into motion. If anything, it would give the kids a fighting chance - would give them a fighting chance. "We are truly sorry."

"Very, very sorry," Alfonse added.

Mrs. Putts gestured meekly to the food on the trolley. "You don't have to trust us, but it's going to be a very long night for you, dearies. You'll need to keep your strength up if you want to go home." She stood by the trolley silently, the worry on her face as clear as day. "He's left for now, but you can't hide here forever."
WMIeXcx.png
"We thought you might need a rest," Michael explained. "We have some of your stuff." The young boy crouched beside the trolley, pulling an assortment of items from underneath the bottom compartment - there was Milton's baseball bat, the rest of Ethan's milk boxes, London's coffee, and an assortment of snacks. Michael picked up what he could carried and dumped it in front of the group. "It's not much, sorry, we couldn't find the rest of it."

Michael and the rest of the Putts observed them for a few moments.

It was Alfonse who finally broke the silence.
"Ms. Wendy has agreed to help. She'll be waiting for you with some essentials. For now, please rest awhile and gather your strength."

IpyR9CX.png
Prospector? From Toy Story? London thought back to the movie, realizing she hadn't seen it in a few years. The trilogy had ended on a bittersweet note but, thinking about the sequel in particular, London wondered if maybe Marten was right. The prospector was a dick, but he hadn't always been that way according to Pixar. Maybe Peter or Butzy - whoever he was - hadn't started out a villain. If that was the case, London wonder what prodded him to become so foul as to abduct, torture, and kill people over God-knows-how many centuries.

Speaking of torture, Ethan's mention of Matt brought vivid images back to her head. They just wouldn't stop; she couldn't unsee the blood, the innards, his smile. You're cuter when you're smiling, he'd said - and, just London's luck, Ethan announced it to everyone in the room. Her eyes blew wide and her hand stilled in Jo's fur, frozen like a startled deer. Carefully, she gauged her friend's reactions to his statement, hoping and praying and wishing with all her might that the chaos of the situation overwhelmed any curiosities they might have had otherwise. Luckily for her, nobody mentioned it.

Breathing a subtle sigh of relief, London resumed running her fingers through Jo's fluffy fur, the motions therapeutic. When Kindall took her Cryptodex into his own hands, she started wearing at her bottom lip. London wasn't used to sharing; never had been, even with things aside from her research. From her spot on the floor she eyed her friend like a hawk, observing from a distance how he scribbled whatever notes he could think of. Only vaguely did she register Jace asking her a question.

"Pumpkin?" She glanced at him. The little pumpkin creature's jack-o-lantern smile flashed through her mind and she scowled. "Yeah... I saw it."

Kindall returned her Cryptodex and, unable to help herself, London snatched it off the mattress. Flipped to his entries in both apprehension and excitement: What kind of experiences had Kindall been through? Would he talk about the creek? Had he seen bunyips after all? Anticipating the entries breathed a little life into her, only for it to fall flat upon reaching the three pages.

Three. Whole. Pages.

"Kindall, what the..." A pinch formed between her brow as she read. These weren't entries - not at all! They were just... scribbles and digressing trains of thought. This is awful, she thought, reaching blindly for the backpack to retrieve some of Ella's crayons. I have to fix this.

And so she did. While London scribbled away, the rest of the group talked on about more potential mind-fuckeries. She didn't want to entertain the idea that their family members would start showing up in Henbard. Her red-crayon corrections faltered upon thoughts of her mom. London had already been fooled into thinking Matt had died; no matter what he had in store for them, London would not fall for it again. Refused to. Never-

Snap!

London blinked and looked down at the broken crayon in her hand. She hadn't noticed the irritation bubble up until then, her poor writing utensil paying the price. With a lopsided log of colored wax, London finished up commenting on Kindall's "entry" before setting the Cryptodex back on the bed. "If anyone else wants to use it, feel free... but follow my format." She shot Kindall a half-hearted (more so on the genuine side, however) glare.

Just then Alfonse, Mrs. Putts, and Michael entered the room. London continued sitting on the floor until she spotted her canned coffee, safe and sound, next to Ethan's milk cartons. She'd sooner square off against another transformed Salem than eat or drink anything they offered her, but London trusted her coffee. Not to mention, she needed the caffeine. I'm surprised I'm even still awake. With yet another apologetic scratch behind his ear, London scooted Jo off her lap and stood. Made her way over to the Henbard servants quickly, hand swiping out to snatch up her canned coffee, before retreating back to her spot with the Shiba Inu.

The cracking sizzle of the can tab lightened her mood, and the taste of bitter beverage on her tongue lit her senses. After taking several gulps, London set down the half-empty can and wiped the residue on her lips against Adelaide's windbreaker. It was the perfect time for a pick-me-up and, with caffeine buzzing in her veins, London felt a little better.

She looked to Alfonse, then, who'd spoken last. "Agreed to help?" Something didn't feel right. "Does that mean... not everyone in Henbard is on our side?"

Last edited:
vYgyDI6yEZIp4PZcTUM4OILsU4cP0qpvFvVxwuIOS9ihfjJ4s14vd4E9c9Z9AjrHzNodJgxSGsgKn-KmixMmK7KxB709VwSXK1NrFc3hj646FBeFZzl19bLKbXsO0ev3lrVayeYZ
Ana hadn't exactly been coherent since coming back to Salem's room. Everything was just, blurry. Her head hurt, she felt sick and weak. She just wanted this nightmare to be over. She would never get near these woods again after today. She had Kelsey and her friends, that's all she needed. Hell, she may never leave her house again.

Hearing the soft click of the door, Ana glanced up at Alfonse and Mrs. Putts as they wandered in. Ana shook her head lightly, hands squeezed together. "A small rest isn't going to erase all the memories of today." She said, her voice slightly cold and distant as she spoke. She looked at the three people who had agreed to help, then glanced up at Lenore. The bird would probably never touch her again. "We know we need to find the totems, like Salem's bird. Do you guys know where any of the other ones are?" Ana asked, looking at them. She didn't trust them completely so she denied taking any of the food.

MyOUsBQYItiOSZcDXRhG132pcy5vuQL4rWeB2fxWIqO18Gol-YEKaM0H68Ib8JHF9GOu2tlG2lV7kyhk-2nCNg_dGe_Ruc-TgcTwtvTUDTEfmXp2VGEEY8ubgG13i9jR16sUXUSg
Seeing Alfonse and Putts definitely put Ethan's mood for the worse. He didn't notice it back then in the Furry BDSM Torture Room in the cellar before, but their skin...ohgodtheirskin. The young man crinkled his face in disgust, That does not look healthy at all, he thought to himself. He had to give them props though, their decorum never left their person, even with Henabrd being a prison right now. Again, all this talk about Him. Him this and Him that. What is this, Powerpuff Girls?! Whoever He is, he better be sure to get ready for the smackdown of a lifetime...Assuming that it's not some intangible being like a ghost or some shit.

Damn straight they're not gonna hide in here forever! Hell, if they could beat Salem, they might as well try their hand at fighting back. Not that they didn't before, but this time with a little added oomph. A wide smile spread across Ethan's face as the young boy, Michael, returned their goods. And Gods above, let it not be an illusion! Could it be? Doth his eyes deceive him at this very moment? Nay! It was! It is! C A L C I U M.

Like a moth to a flame, Ethan immediately scrambled from his seat on the floor and darted towards his remaining cartons of milk. Oh, sweet heaven! He counted two left. The strawberry one he had offered to Salem back in the Ambassador's Cave, the other one he found and drank during their reunion with Kelsey. He frowned a little, all that was left was chocolate and vanilla. His eyes were back to the kid. Salem may have begrudgingly agreed to take the carton from him and may have even resented him for it, but what the heck? It's a kid! And kids need to grow up strong to fight bad guys...Even a house hell-bent on crushing their soul and spirit. Deciding that no kid deserves the lackluster yet heartwarmingly familiar taste of vanilla milk, he offered the blonde child the chocolate milk, a warm smile on his face. Hopefully he accepts the sentiment, even if he can't or won't drink it.

The straw against his lips, and his tongue awash in the flavor of his preferred beverage, Ethan felt elated. Sure, it was plain as hell but it all felt good nonetheless. "Ooooooh baby that's the stuff!" He said, hype for milk more than any person should be. He was sure that it had only been a day or so, but it felt like weeks not having the creamy taste in his mouth. He took a moment to stop with his sipping, acknowledging London's statement. "Let's hope Henbard isn't overstaffed then..."

Last edited:
Jace_Banner.png

"Uh, Milton?" Jace eyed Milton with piqued interest as he snatched up London's Cryptodex and started to write, humming to himself all the while. He shot London and Kelsey questioning glances now and again, wondering if they had any idea what exactly he was doing. For a moment, it seemed he was done, but he promptly took the book again and wrote some more. Kelsey addressed him, then he seemed to come back to them from the depths of the Cryptodex.

"You mean.. Coraline? That kid's movie?" He asked numbly, feeling anxious. Jace had seen the movie on television once; it was interesting to say the least. It offered no comfort in the present situation however. The idea that Peter, or he, was an entity that devoured souls and used dolls to spy on people made his skin crawl. Even worse was the fact that it wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. Kelsey had warped through the front door; they had seen Salem turn into a bird monster and then into stone. Nothing was impossible in this nightmare house.

"I definitely think you're onto something there, with the nursery rhymes. The note we got from Salem in the cellar had four rhymes. I take it that the one about the bird.. had to do with him, which makes me wonder who the other rhymes pertain to? Like if the tell-tale tit has to do with Castor and if he is indeed hell-spawn?" Jace thought aloud before falling into a momentary, pensive silence. The knock on the door startled him out of his puzzlement. He looked round at everyone, tightened his grip on the handle of the rolling pin, and nodded as Kelsey prepared to open the door. There didn't seem to be anything dangerous about them, other than Alfonse's and Mrs. Putts' sagging skin. Michael hadn't apparently changed at all since he left the room not too long ago.

"Sorry for what? Salem's departure? Or the electro-torture?" Jace frowned and shook his head. The older couple was right about one thing: they weren't trusted. The only person Jace dared trust was Michael. Most children didn't know how to be fake; they were always so frank and straight-forward, and Michael seemed genuine enough. Everyone - and everything - else was suspect, especially the food they brought. After what happened at dinner, Jace wasn't going to eat anything that came from Henbard's kitchen. Even so, he idled a few steps towards the tea cart.

Ethan had found a couple of his milk cartons and London found her canned coffee. Amongst the items, he saw a familiar-looking bag. Could it be? Jace snatched the bag off the cart and backed away as if the Putts would try to take it away from him. Indeed it was! It was his snack bag! Brimming with joy, Jace opened the bag only to frown. It did not have all of the snacks he'd packed that morning when he left home. It had only one granola bar, one protein bar, a single package of peanut butter crackers, and a lone bag of trail mix. The several others of each were gone. The only thing that was all there was his deer jerky. He tucked the rolling pin under his arm, took out a strip of jerky and bit off a piece.

"Have mercy..." Jace almost moaned at the smoky, protein-packed goodness. It was exactly what he needed. He grabbed the bars, the crackers, and the trail mix and handed them out to his friends. They all needed to eat, to get their strength up. That was another thing he could admit that the Putts' were right about. It would likely take all they had and then some to get out of this place. He thought back to something else they'd just said, turning to look at them with an eyebrow raised.

"That reminds me. You say it's going to be a long night. What does 'the longest night' mean, exactly?" He asked around another bite of jerky. It was questionable whether or not they would give a straight answer, if they answered at all. Salem hadn't been much help with answering questions. "Is time stopped?"

London voiced a key concern about yet another statement, the question of allies. Who all at Henbard was on their side? Of course, Salem had been; and the Putts and Michael were. They mentioned that Wendy agreed to help. Did she not want to help them? Could she be trusted at all? Jace blushed profusely at the thought of the young woman, as she'd seen him nearly naked earlier that night. He recalled the other staff members only vaguely: a woman in a cat suit and an attractive pirate adonis. Wasn't there another maid, a blonde one? What about the other Hayes family members?

"Are there... more enemies here than just him?" Jace finally asked.

Wx3Tihy.png

Oh lucidity, how thee escapes me... Marten felt almost to the point of daydreaming when London started moving, scribbling it seemed to correct some action of Kindle's. Milton! London! Why, betrayal! It was night time; how was no one else dead on their feet? Unless of course she was just weak, but she had pretty good stamina! Have you ever perhaps specifically trained in running for your life through stories of a haunted mansion all evening...? Her brain supplied sardonically. Of the course the answer was no, but if that were the case, exercise was a myth and she had wasted her childhood doing things instead willfully wasting away in front of the television as was her right! The cake wasn't a lie! Oh, cruel fate!

So many good sitcoms, come and gone without the grace of my eyes upon them. I-- Coraline? Green eyes moved lazily watching the motion of each friends' lips as they spoke on the subject of that dastardly little pumpkin. Makin' up a song about, Coraline. She's a peach; she's a doll; she's a pal of mine... She's as cute as a button in the eyes of anyone who's ever laid their eyes on Cor-a-line... She hummed the catchy little tune, vehemently rejecting the thought that Otherfather wasn't super cool, even if Othermother was a bitch.

At the Putt's arrival, she was only vaguely interested. The sloth bug was settling right in the center of her back at that one spot that no one could ever truly reach. Well, that was until there was food. Food, glorious food! She wouldn't be surprised if she pulled a Joseff and did some strange bodily trembling and mild salivating at the mere sight of the trolley. Although she hadn't failed to note the poor guy wasn't doing do well without Matt. She'd have to hold him at some point. But at the moment, Jace had thrown her a pack of peanut butter crackers. 150 calories... It'll have to do. She wouldn't admit to knowing that off the top of her head and without reading the package. "Jace, I love you. You're a great person. Absolute best." She'd beam at him, meanwhile ripping into the plastic with total abandon.

Something did strike her finally as she began stuffing her mouth like a chipmunk, "Hey... How come He can leave without getting caught in the same time loop-or-whatever-it-is? Does he have the masterkey or what? Also, if you don't mind too terribly, if you guys have keys, can we have them? You wouldn't happen to know where they are, would you?"

Collab between @Fox of Hearts and @Fox of Spades
EFluziwBU2ho2wuijv4AJmXYv3csRhdbSRu36nRDB4bTkvyrSPG4WxutAlOdYrKbVAmGHyxwnmlcX9iNY7vd36kNJSLK_ENcPPdb9iNb8w6sYTIAet1aXObzyrL5DUkcUb4Mcjix

As the group started reclaiming their items, Alfonse took a respectful step away from the trolley, choosing instead to stand in front of the door. He was well aware of their standing with the group - knew that their sagging skin and past betrayals were not things that could merely be erased with a peace offering of edible goods. "All very good questions. Unfortunately, we don't have any concrete answers... merely speculations from the many years we've spent here."

He shared a troubled look with his wife. "It's not that the others did not agree to help, it's more the immense risk they'll be taking if they do. We're are - how do I put it, of His world now. Were he to find out about our betrayal, he would easily turn us into the same beasts he turned the poor young master into. He's in too deep." Alfonse eyed the group. They were so filled with life and youth and questions. "We don't quite understand what the Longest Night is, but we believe it's when he gathers whoever he finds amusing. He comes and goes as he pleases because this world is His."
tgyCFeUMtglaeFq4AfYUhC2oItkB4H9sM7swHgbE0c1vlC2BqJJIidMGW6SsagyZ2dWOkt50vOD4j_rd3OFSmgulZ1eX93fOnfLEFYBs9Yfrhuot8AdWNrI5unkkIedePofzKfk8

4V51MtraWqUvMBYos16YXQCSRAfRvl0wiqZdak7LeRX8x9_1cEzweQj_CQ8Wsl00NVkaqhjLDiR22yPYi6cxQKrLAZF3gW9pyUjnQXHc730IYJwzTrSr8trkb4_4N7eQCQ9aMuUo
Mrs. Putts looked up when Ana mentioned the totems. "We've all lost so much, forever bound here."

Michael shook his head to decline box of chocolate milk. He knew food and drink wouldn't do him any good. He and his grandparents hadn't felt hunger or thirst for so long that he had forgotten how to eat and drink. "You take it, mister," he told Ethan. "I don't need it as much as you do."

The boy returned to his grandmother's side. He grabbed her melting hand and gave it a loving squeeze. "Master Salem promised to help us, din' he?" Michael reminded her. "He said he found them. My George, your gloves from Mom and Grandpa's glasses. He told me so! With them, he says we can be free."

"Free," she echoed. The sagging skin pulled past her jaw. Joyce couldn't put up the facade anymore. Michael, poor boy, he didn't know that this torment would never end. There was simply no hope for any of them. Master Salem was gone and with the young man went their only hope of being saved. Silvery tears filled her glassy eyes as her hand tightened round Michael's tiny one. "Freedom? Won't that be nice, dear? To be somewhere safe. There'll be no more pain. No more fear."

"A place with Jesus?" the grandson suggested hopefully. "Mommy said He protects us. He hears our prayers when we pray to Him. Master Salem told me to teach Ella to pray too!"

Alfonse patted Michael's messy head. "That's right. Jesus loves everyone and He will send his angels to protect you." The old man's smile didn't seem very happy. He knew in his heart of hearts that he was too far gone. His despair weighed so heavily on him that his skin started pulling from his bones. Soon there will be nothing left of him. He'd become one of THEM, one of the tortured wretches in Peter's garden. Michael, the poor boy, when that happens, he would be truly alone. "Keep praying and read the bible the way your mother taught you."
5m1FOKCHs6Y5RJ_64L3ri7Q1iF0Jus7K42Zo6B55meGvOf8_mgPupODYWf_jvO7cz_GMJTryJBdoQkTHbaGqbMijhebMAMh_T1FXecfrmxRlDHFzIXdnS-A-i8HVaD0UDZTgahMs
yyDhpgC97ZKeDvZkSB3ihm5tEp6GSEScLXq9gkVoZUzhHMXxcEzm5yR_qvQss0jfGhqJVdVO401eGGVUH7q1mpoG3_MgkDmq4iAxj4HnrfVHI6qIvBl4_efuLDfZZ4_F0YF0rB7-
She didn't know them - not personally - but the scene that unfolded before them was heart wrenching all the same. Kelsey gritted her teeth, if only there was something, anything they could do.

"You aren't thinking of helping them?" Kindall asked. The bespectacled young man was busy doing packing the remaining food supplies into the bulging backpack. "They are the ones in the cellar! Don't forget Salem! He turned into a bird thing and attacked Ethan!"

Of course, she was thinking of helping. It was the empathetic thing to do - the human thing to do. As horrible as their experience had been, she couldn't begin to imagine what living in Henbard for decades must have felt like. Kelsey closed her eyes, attempted to drown Kindle's voice out. He was too damn logical… sometimes, she really felt like wringing his neck.

What could they do?

Kelsey tried to think of everything Salem had ever said to them. Surprisingly, it wasn't one of the boy's hints that came back to her. Instead, the clue that fastened itself to the forefront of her mind was the memory of a nondescript box they'd picked up from Salem's room not too long ago - the box filled with an assortment of seemingly meaningless items.

"Kelsey? Kelsey Crane? I know what you're thinking! I say no."

Kindle waved a hand in front of his friend's face. He knew that look! It was that same mutinous frown she wore when she declared she was going to find Joseff. Look where it got them! Stuck in some weird house with a bunch of psychopaths living in it. He scowled. Kelsey, Kelsey, she had always been a sucker for things like this. A real bleeding heart who would go back for a downed teammate in L4D and get herself trampled to death in the process. He wondered why she couldn't be selfish for once! They needed to spend time figuring out how to escape not waste it saving the people living here.

"Kelsey! We can't even save ourselves! Listen! Don't interfere. We can't afford to waste time. Trust me on this, okay? I can feel it in my gut. We don't need to do this."

Kelsey's hand shot out to cover Kindle's mouth. "Kindle. Shut up for five seconds!" He was smart, they all knew it. She knew it. But sometimes he needed to think less with his brain! "It's always probability this and probability that with you. They're people not a bunch of fucking numbers in your stat notebook."

"That's the number one reason people get killed. Christ, Kelsey! Don't you read what I send you? People die because they act stupidly. We aren't living in some fantasy world like London's and Ethan's computer games. We are humans with limitations! Hell! We don't even know what they are looking for. I'm not scouring the house looking for a man named George."

"Huh?" Michael blinked in surprise. "George? He's my toy soldier. He sits on top of the Christmas tree and guards the star. I believe he used to be the little drummer boy."

Kindall faltered. "Drum … look kid, I don't know what you're talking about. If you want to find your toy, shouldn't you go look in Ella's room? She has shelves of them."

The little boy turned pale. He began whimpering as he leaned in closer to his grandmother. "No, not there. Never go there!" he warned. "Miss Ella doesn't stay there if she doesn't have to. TamTam told her it isn't safe."

"TamTam?" Mrs Putts asked warily.

"Oh, you know her? The little girl who lives in the trees. She knocks on the windows to warn us about … them. Ella told her to be my friend too! Miss Wendy and Miss Charlotte don't understand. We keep pointing to her but they can't ever see her. Miss Ella and I think she's an angel. She keeps us safe."

Last edited by a moderator:
IpyR9CX.png
Despite the coffee, London's stomach growled. She pulled a face, thinking back to the last thing she'd eaten: A small piece of the cookies at dinner and a macaron from Adelaide. Now, on a typical day, she wouldn't have noticed the tell-tale rumble and twinge of pain that she needed to eat - too many projects to work on - but here in Salem's room with everyone relaxing, it hit her like a truck. She sure as hell wasn't going back up to the tea cart, though. The further away from the Hayes and Henbard residents she and her friends were, the better.

Who knew when they might turn?

So, when Jace offered the group some of his snacks, she eagerly accepted. The crackers seemed the only appealing option of the bunch but Marten got there first. Which was fine - the grunette looked exhausted and if peanut butter crackers would help, London would find all the packets in the world. So, instead, she took the protein bar. Trail mix was not an option - they put dried fruit in those things. "Thanks," she grabbed one of the spare coffee cans and offered it to him with a tired smile, "coffee buddy."

Unwrapping the protein bar and taking a bite, London listened to the conversation between Mrs. Putts and Michael. She frowned around the protein bar, eyes turning downcast to the floor. While London had long since stopped believing in a higher power she couldn't help but hope that, for the sake of those suffering at his hands, a place like Heaven did exist. If such an afterlife was real, London wondered if Salem had made it safely.

Then Kindall spoke and her head snapped up. "What?" As sad as the Henbard residents' situation was, London would sooner leave them to him than risk her own neck - or that of her friends - trying to save them. This would be one of the few times London and Kindall agreed, and so strongly, on something. Standing, London balled up the protein bar wrapper to throw away later and looked at Kelsey like she was crazy. "Kels, seriously? I- We- I'm with Kindall on this one," she said. Then, she glanced at the Putts: "Erm... no offense."

Michael's talk of TamTam piqued her interest, though. London heard that name at dinner when talking to Ella about Polly. TamTam was the nice one, Ella had said, while Polly pulled mean pranks. She knows Polly; she lives in the trees; the kids think she's an angel; and she protects them from... "Who?" London asked warily. "Who does TamTam warn you about?"

If the saying 'Evil has an innocent face' rang true, they'd have to get out of not only Henbard, but Whittle Grove, too.

Jace_Banner.png

"You're welcome." Jace smiled at the grunette as she took the crackers. He was more than happy to share with any one of his friends. London, who was next, took the protein bar and in turn offered him a canned coffee. "Coffee buddy." He accepted the can and took a long, grateful swig. The flavor didn't particularly mix with deer jerky, but it did help quench the thirst that sprang upon him with that first drop.

"You don't--? You mean he hasn't told you anything?" The jerky Jace held between his lips fell and bounced off his shoe as he spoke. The smile on his face vanished as if it had been torn off, replaced by an incredulous and perhaps even angry expression. After decades of living in this forsaken place, how could they not know anything? How could they not have definitive answers? Jace started to bend down and pick up the jerky, but instead nudged it towards Jo. Even the inu needed to eat.

What information the Putts' gave them, while only speculation, was better than nothing at all; although, it wasn't the least bit comforting. To think that, at any moment, they could be transformed into monsters like Salem was terrifying. Jace visibly tensed. He gathered people that he found amusing? What did that mean? What other horrors did it spell for the friends?

"'His world,' huh?" The wheels in Jace's brain were turning. Given the incident with Kelsey trying to leave and flying back through the front door, he was coming up with a theory. He could come and go as he pleased, yet Kelsey couldn't make it out the door. Then again, Salem and Ella had managed to get out into the woods. Something wasn't adding up. He decided to tackle a topic more readily accessible.

"These keys, how many are there? Is there one for every person here?" Jace asked, trying to recall the other marks on the pony dolls to little avail. He doubted that any of them had gloves or glasses or a toy soldier for cutie marks. He vaguely thought he recalled a spider being one though. Milton's hollering drew Jace's attention.

"You aren't suggesting that we just leave them here?" Jace frowned, unable to believe what he was hearing. "We can't just--" He paused to look at Michael, then continued in a more hushed tone. "Salem was here trying to do for them the same thing we were trying to do for Kelsey. Their lives are at stake here, too. I understand that there's no guarantee that we can help them, but shouldn't we at least try? Salem tried to help us! Can you really turn a blind eye?" He challenged hotly. "What if it was us? Wouldn't you want someone to try to help you?"

The debate was interrupted as London turned to Michael to ask about TamTam. Ah, yes! TamTam! The one Ella had mentioned! He could recall the child saying that TamTam watched Kelsey from the window and something about her having friends. Was Polly one of those friends? Was Butzy?

"Hey, Michael. Can you tell us who Butzy is? Is Butzy.. him?"

The young man was a little downcast at Michael's refusal, he pouted then he shrugged. No harm done, he supposed, grabbing the carton of milk from him. He couldn't help but feel pity for all of them, the boy the most, but Putts and Alfonse deserved just as much as mercy. He could see it in their eyes, glances of broken promises that left little for hope. Ethan looked away, a sadness tugging in his heart, he wished that he could do something right now...

Immediately, his attention shifted to the loud voices of Kindall and Kelsey. The two were having an argument...One that no doubt would test the limits of their friendships. He had to admit though, telling Kindall to piss off with his way of thinking was pretyt funny, so he gave a small thumbs up in acknowledgement. Soon enough, others were starting to raise their banners either in support or opposition of Milton and Crane, Ethan began to think of the consequences of either choice...His eyes darted from London to Jace and then back to his two best friends. Usually it was him and Kindall getting into mindless fights, Kelsey was there to break off the feuds and offer a reasonable stalemate, but now...

What should I do? What can I do?

The small voice of doubt in Ethan's head began to creep up again, it was one of those moments. A time of vulnerability, a time to freeze up in front of the class as they eagerly awaited one's response. He gulped, tensions were going to grow sooner or later, and if he didn't make a decision soon, he would probably be forced to. The young man inhaled deeply, trying to think of the most rational choice, well in his opinion anyway. He scoffed, he was never to think about to repercussions of his his heated actions anyway. Ethan tuned a little fanfare as he stood up.

DA-DA-DA-DAAAA!

"Ethan joins Kelsey's party!"
He grinned from ear to ear, murmuring that there better not be any hard feelings afterwards.

Wx3Tihy.png
A toy soldier he said, and glasses too. Those are so easy to lose, no wonder...they... Marten's thoughts halted as her train of thought careened off the tracks and into a spooky tower that looked suspiciously like Henbard marked 'DESPAIR'. The girl visibly paled, shuddering with the onset of goosebumps minutes later. "Guys..." She muttered, hoping the quiet tactic worked and that someone would stop bickering long enough to ask what was up.

Of course such things never worked with her jolly, motley crew. "Guys!" She huffed hands balling anxiously in her lap as all semblance of sleep left her. Oh yea, she was definitely getting a headache. "Hey! Shut up and listen for a sec! That stuff... I know where it is. I had it, rather... In the library.." She trailed off toward the end, realizing what that danger meant for everyone.

Who was the fastest runner? They needed someone who could get in and out. Assuming Butzy wasn't still there, it was still unwise to stick around. Of course, really she should have been the one to do it. She was the one that new what it looked like. She narrow her gaze on Kindall. Was there a sacrificial bone in his body? Probably not, but he was damn cute! "Hey, what's the probability I get my ass minced if I go back through that secret passage?" She ground out. Mission accepted: Find the Shiny Box! There was never a question in her mind whether or not she was helping. The question was how not to die while helping.

Collab between @Fox of Hearts and @Fox of Spades

HYbExrsQfuFREUqTgno-ZzJdOxHD9vVrDZffspNfT26UymWLl-MQM4SEJsR5Z0HCghvEkgAEpfA0L7Gb_HqGTgciy2pmiTBfAv25lhF_nOdbvxB2DNUUB980lZUk91ncfiPUvosb
As decisions were made, the group fell into a state of disagreement. Kindle and London stood firm and disagreed to offer aid, while Jace, Ethan, and herself suggested otherwise. Kelsey understood why Kindle and London opposed, but the thought of leaving the Putts to this fate worse than death wasn't something she'd be able to live with if they left Henbard alone and left both the staff and the Hayes to a thousand more years of this torment.

"Jace is right. Salem tried to help. They can help us. They know about Henbard more than we do."

Even if they left the staff behind. How far would they be able to make it without inside knowledge? She would have said more, but she stopped when Marten interrupted their bickering. The box. The box was in the library.
yyDhpgC97ZKeDvZkSB3ihm5tEp6GSEScLXq9gkVoZUzhHMXxcEzm5yR_qvQss0jfGhqJVdVO401eGGVUH7q1mpoG3_MgkDmq4iAxj4HnrfVHI6qIvBl4_efuLDfZZ4_F0YF0rB7-

tgyCFeUMtglaeFq4AfYUhC2oItkB4H9sM7swHgbE0c1vlC2BqJJIidMGW6SsagyZ2dWOkt50vOD4j_rd3OFSmgulZ1eX93fOnfLEFYBs9Yfrhuot8AdWNrI5unkkIedePofzKfk8
Kindall fell silent. He never felt so conflicted before. Marten was the one at fault but he didn't want her putting herself in danger like that! She was so clumsy that she'd get hurt trying somehow. "Fine, fine," he sighed. "I'll go. I don't want anyone else following! I want to go in and come out quickly." Milton ran his fingers through his hair as he was prone to do when he was trying to mask his irritation. "I'll be going now."

The young man didn't manage to get very far before a hand grabbed him by the shoulder. Despite appearing so frail, Mrs. Putts was strong enough to jerk Kindle back. "Not so fast, dearie. I need you to hear us out. Please!"

She tightened her grip even more. Her fingers were digging so deep into Milton's shoulder that she could feel the joint. Ah, to be young and impetuous! Alfonse himself used to be like that too! It certainly brought back memories. None of them too pleasant, unfortunately. She recalled being so frustrated with her boyfriend. No matter the era there'd always be hot blooded lads.

"Let go!"

"Not now," she told him sternly. "I need you to stay and listen. It's important that you let us help you! The Other Master is suspicious. He doesn't want you to escape." The resisting stopped. She finally had his attention. "He'll be spying on you from the shadows once you leave this room! Please stay in groups of twos or threes."

That last bit was aimed at the more stubborn youngsters in the group. Her eyes flit to Ana, London and Milton. For the latter, she could only stare at the shock of messy brown hair in front of her. "It's easier to succumb to your fears when you are alone. He thrives on it!" She turned to her husband. "Alfie dear, do you have any other advice for them?"
clKhFrKU5jK7zUv8d4BOOZsFkUO1817QmIIlJ0Vg3FXr6-2ABkZEMACZWs9oNYONn0vh26howj4_5eJyODMgs2DMQGO77XtiJpMMi0Cf0o-XOaqaR9JeR9rOecbgGkem1IDhFZra
Marten's revelation left Michael reeling. She knew where George was.

"We have items," he tried to offer in response to Jace's questions about the key. "Important items." He didn't quite understand the talk about Emblems but he knew it was important. "Tam Tam warns us about him - the thing who took us away and brought us here. Ella calls him Butzy. "

There was brief pause as he turned to look at Marten. "I'm sorry, miss. I don't think we can use the secret passage anymore. The entrance to the library has been blocked. We can try sneaking in through the front door if He's no longer there." Michael looked to his grandparents for reassurance. This was a large group, and he knew that if they so much as made a noise, there was a chance He'd hear them and come back... if that happened they'd be trapped with no escape exit.
sCOroowpJ504cUJlo_dmK3n2uO00AEah6e9EZ8Da_hxcbY9onC0uRJLhgE1C7dCB4W6yVZKGYIkv6rxW1njjDj2UG1xbQSk75nbtH-q9xqG7o9nHnWUizcfvSWZdIJ1i-DDfsc8M
"Advice. I believe we've said it all, dear. I suppose there's no other way. It's not ideal, but we'll have to do it."

Return to the Library

One by one, the group (and the Putts) exited Salem's room and padded quietly down the hall. Thankfully, the library wasn't too far away, and the sounds of violent trashing and toppling shelves had faded away completely.

While the group wasn't exactly safe, it was safe to say that He had gone away for now.

Slowly, they approached the library. The proud double doors leaned against the sides of the stone arch. Their faces gouged beyond recognition. A wide gap stood between these battered guardians, allowing people to pass easily into the remains of Salem's sanctuary.

vYgyDI6yEZIp4PZcTUM4OILsU4cP0qpvFvVxwuIOS9ihfjJ4s14vd4E9c9Z9AjrHzNodJgxSGsgKn-KmixMmK7KxB709VwSXK1NrFc3hj646FBeFZzl19bLKbXsO0ev3lrVayeYZ

"Keep an eye out for anything weird," Kelsey stated.

"We can't have them sneak up on us," Ana answered briefly, her expression unreadable. Still rather upset that Lenore would no longer look at her, she pushed past her friends and was the first to start climbing over the fallen doors. One foot made it safely onto the floor but the other found the missing door knob.

"Shit!" Ana snapped.

Her sudden curse startled the group, causing several people to rush over. As they peered through the gap, they found the spunky girl looking extremely shamefaced. She couldn't believe she pulled a Marten worthy stunt. Wasn't she supposed to be the one mocking the brunette? She had lost count of the number of times she did so. Gah! Ana picked herself up with a snort.

"That last step's dangerous." she covered up quickly. "Cross carefully and keep quiet, okay? Shhhhhhhh!" She prayed that would quell any pesky comments coming from the group.

The inside of the library was a complete and utter mess. Shelves had been toppled over in reckless abandon, books were thrown haphazardly across the room, the reading table had been smashed to pieces, and a large shelf had fallen over what appeared to be the entrance to the secret passageway.

Salem's stony statue stood untouched, the same way it had been when they'd left.

Kelsey tried not to look at what remained of the boy.

"Marten," she called out. "Do you remember where you left the box?"

Before the grunette could answer, everyone was greeted by the same sinister squeak they'd all come to know and love. If they peered around the room, they would notice the same miniature pumpkin struggling to lift the familiar box.

"Clues, clues, so many clues.
Someone's been a naughty boy!
Bad, bad, bad birdy boy!
Next, next, I go Ella's room!"

The same taunting voice spilled from the pumpkin's slit mouth. Soft squeaking escaped its body as it tugged and pushed the corner of the box sticking out of the rubble. A frustrated frown crossed its face when it saw that the box hadn't budge at all.

"Why, why, why's it so hard?
I want, I want these clues.
Bad, bad, bad Salem boy.
Next, next, I go Ella's room."

AMschoQQ-NpjZ5RfZe2rIizom-bAa0rWZO9j3mYZes7nBjL8_ZK5uf-z9CG1hhGMYV-U9_dwv0DjNAlDjRo4G5PPpT8N_kGzqd9BckTwxvUdlrf91TfDKES2YYZaqMFTeVNzPEhy

iUgQ80i.png

"Hey! That's the pumpkin doll I told you about!" Kindle told Marten and Jace. "And it - no, no good! Guys! Stop it! It's trying to steal our clues!"

"Borf! Borf!" Jo greeted happily. He wagged his tail excitedly as he spotted the squeaky toy from before! It reminded him of the doll Matt had on the inn counter. The very toy he liked to steal and chew. "Borf borf borf!"

"Cawwwwwwww!" Lenore warned from where she was perched on Jace's shoulder. "Caw ca-caw!" she scolded. Behave yourself, mutt!

"Boruff! Uff!"

The Shiba Inu leaped over the fallen doors with ease. It was a feat that left Kindle's jaw hanging! Joseff, that lazy dog, was running so fast that he had turned into a brown blur. Excited barks echoed non-stop in the cavernous library, making the Putts look extremely uncomfortable.

Kindle was already on the other side. "Hurry! Catch Jo! Silence him! We got to be quiet, remember?"

"Caaaaaa," Lenore appeared to sigh. She sensed someone spying on them but didn't know how to warn the humans. They weren't as clever as her master. "Ca ca caw…"

IpyR9CX.png
At both Jace and Ethan taking Kelsey's side, London tried hard to quell the irritation in her chest. It wouldn't do to blow up at her friends. Not now. Not when they were trapped together, dependent on one another's cooperation and teamwork. Getting the box doesn't matter, she thought, getting the hell out of this nightmare does. Why don't they get that? I doubt a toy soldier and whatever-the-fuck-else that was in there is going to save us. London paused then, brow pinching. Unless those are the other keys? She couldn't remember exactly what Salem had said about the pin - her brain had been focused on other things at the time - but he had mentioned keys of some sort. Dammit, why didn't I pay closer attention? Why didn't I write it down? Hopefully someone else remembered better; it seemed that alongside her timidity, London's attention to detail had run off, too.

Still, even with her newfound interest in the box contents, she didn't think going back there was a good idea. Especially not when Marten, and then Kindall, offered to go alone. Oh hell no- She opened her mouth to say, only for Mrs. Putts to stop Kindall in his tracks. The woman didn't look as strong as she apparently was and, instantly, London grew wary. If he found them, what would Mrs. Putts' transformation be like? The She-Hulk? I sure hope not. That woman's a beast.

With that thought, she took Mrs. Putts' warning to heart. Groups of twos or threes, she echoed in her head. Retrieved her treasured Cryptodex and wooden katana. Glanced at the walkie-talkie clipped to the side of her yoga pants. The thought of one of her friends, specifically those without an immediate weapon, getting stranded alone terrified her. Swallowing dryly, she looked to Marten, Kindall, Ana, and Kelsey. The oblivious - or not so? London hadn't figured that out yet - sweethearts and the childhood friends. Ana and Marten, London knew, hadn't the strongest constitution towards the horrors of Henbard, what with Ana throwing up in the cellar and Marten freezing during the fight with Salem.

If only we had more walkies, she thought, stepping closer to Marten. London considered the grunette her best friend; had opened up more with her than anyone else. Choosing between the two was difficult, but eventually she found herself handing Marten her own walkie-talkie. "Just in case," she said. Since, apparently, we're going to risk everything for a mansion of strangers. Offered her a wry smile before gravitating towards Ana, just like she did before.

I'll make up for it by protecting you.

Return to the Library

Creeping towards the library reminded London why she hated stealth games. The fear of getting caught, the anxiety; it was like playing a horror game alone at night in a dark room. This, though? This is a thousand times worse.

Upon reaching the library, London's gait faltered. She stared at the broken doors. Wondered just how physically powerful he was if he could cause damage like that. Though maybe it's not strength? London followed her friends through, careful not to trip. Maybe he's just a pissy mage. Telekinesis? Dark magic? Maybe he-

Ana slipped into the rubble with a curse, prompting London forward with a jerk. Did it grab her? What happened? What happened to Ana- Then she stood, seeming fine if not a little embarrassed, and London relaxed. She'd have asked her friend if she was okay but, by the look of it, Ana didn't want any comments. It reminded London of the time she face-planted at a cosplay convention, having donned five-inch costume heels she had no idea how to walk in. People pointing out her fall, even through concerned questions of good intent, had made her face flush worse.

So she stayed quiet.

At least, until she heard a familiar sing-song of squeaks. Head whipping in its direction, London bristled. She didn't register Jo running past her; didn't hear Milton yelling commands; only felt the cumbersome weight of the Cryptodex in her hand. Instinctively, she thrust the journal into Ana's arms - "Don't lose it" - and clambered over the debris.

Once her feet hit solid ground London kicked off into a sprint.

The pumpkin creature turned to her, mouth slit curled into its usual smile. In her upset, London failed to acknowledge how it bent its knees of twisted vines, coiling like a spring. Until it launched into the air. London narrowed her eyes, pulled her sword back, and swung hard.

But she missed.

With expert grace, the pumpkin creature landed on the tip of London's katana and sprinted up the girl's sword. She shucked the sword from her on instinct but the creature launched itself onto her arms. Then, her shoulders. Before she could cry out it pulled at her cheeks in a childish display of vengeance and pumpkin wrath. Its cackles were maddening.

She let out a shriek. Clutching its middle, London tried shoving it away to no avail. "Ah!" Its viney hands tangled in her hair and started pulling. "Fu-OW! Get- Go- GET OFF OF ME!"

What Horror adventure would it be without the ever gracious notion of backtracking? It was a mild irritation for Ethan, both in-game and out, as he had always been accustomed to being prepared beforehand when entering certain rooms in his various games. He always had bad experiences whenever he had to backtrack in games, usually running into some big enemy that would halt his progress or force him to take an alternate route where the outcome was less than desirable, he was hoping that this wasn't like that.

Approaching the remains of the library, Ethan could barely believe the damage that was inflicted on the entryway alone. He muttered a curse, looks like whoever was searching the place definitely didn't mind doing some redecorating. He watched as Ana made her way cautiously to the confines of the library, and his hair stood up on end when slipped. Snrk. Ethan had half a mind to laugh at her misfortune, but was still very much concerned about her. Were this any other situation, he would've probably saved a video of it.

What greeted his line of sight was a harrowing reminder of events that he was sure happened only a few hours ago. "Shit man..." Seeing the library in such disarray made the events of Salem's transformation and fight flash back in his mind, needless to say it wasn't a very pleasant memory. Suddenly...An all-too familiar irritant began to ring in his ears...One that filled every fiber in his being with pure, undiluted rage.

"You!" Ethan pointed an accusatory finger at the miniature pumpkin figure that had assaulted him and his friends in the cellar a while back. Milton and Jo got to quick work and clambered over the wooden remains of the doors to the library, London following suit with that katana of hers. He looked in awe as the creature dodged her swing with relative ease and started to assault her, yet the box was there in plain view with nothing stopping anyone of them from grabbing it and its contents. Instinctively, he began to tell the rest of the group to fuckin' grab it while he was devising a plan to save London from the clutches of this little shit.

The miniature pumpkin was greatly enjoying his own antics, in fact, he giggled with utmost glee whenever the poor girl tried to rid herself of his viny grip. He would have continued but the large shadow that loomed over him caused him to look up - it was the large boy and he was staring down at him with a righteous fury. The miniature pumpkin cackled before hopping onto London's shoulders. It coiled up once more, using London as a springboard and somersaulting in the air before landing on Ethan. The little bastard made sure his entire weight fell on Ethan's wounded shoulder.

"YeeooOOOWWWWWW!" The boy spared no time in crying out in pain. He growled, trying to endure the pain that the little shit just caused him. While he was there trying to celebrate his little attack, Ethan took the moment when it was presented to him, and grabbed the little sadistic fucker from his shoulders, squeezing him hard in his fit of rage. "GET LOST!" He threw the doll down to the ground, with it letting out a squeaked painful cry. He almost felt bad for the thing, but not before trying to set his foot down on it and stomping down hard. The pumpkin, with its deceptive dexterity, avoided the boy's foot and scurried along behind one of the many shelves in the vast library, hiding its presence, for now.