Skeletons in the Closet (potassiumboron x Ms. Flair)

"...You could lie. You could tell everyone I tried it on with you and you pushed me away. I... I don't want you to go through college and be hated, Travis. You have too much riding on you to let it get fucked up because I was dumb and forgot my injections," he began warily, shrinking into the passenger seat as he nervously buckled his seatbelt in. The whole night had been a disaster, which was a shame. He wanted to look back on the night and smile about it, having had sex with someone he liked which had been the best experience... though now it all felt ruined. He wanted Travis to not care what anyone thought, to see their discovery of his sexuality as a release of freedom; he could be himself and be with someone he actually liked.

Instead, he felt like Travis was regretting letting his instincts lead him. It felt like he regretted the entire thing and wanted nothing more than to cover up and lie about it to save his reputation. Kai understood that, but it didn't mean he had to like it.

"I want you to do what you think is the best way to proceed. They don't know me and I don't know them. If you lied and said I...came onto you and got close, then it wouldn't matter because I'm not there to face the backlash. I won't see these people again, Travis, so use me as an excuse if you want. I... I want you to be happy."

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: BattyBerry
"I had a guess that may have had happened. It was just a mistake, and you shouldn't be blamed. It was my fault for my letting my alpha instincts take over and do what happened.." Travis started to say. "I could lie but that's not good at all.." he continued to say.

Having started the car up just yet, he moved over to the touch the other on the shoulder. Shaking his head before taking his hand from where it was before he started the car up.

"I don't know what to think at all. My brain all confused but maybe I just need time. I am gonna drop you off but I am not gonna lie. I dug what I did, so it's time for me to lay in it. Maybe try to embrace it," he said before going silent as he started to drive. He didn't speak for rest of the time, only time he did was when he was dropping off Kai. "Kai. Thank you..."

Even though he was delighted to hear that Travis wasn't prepared to lie, he had still uttered the phrase that sent shivers through Kai; a sentence that threatened to cause tears to spring in his eyes. His throat tightened as he pushed aside the urge to cry, staring defiantly out of the window in the effort to hide his upset.

It was just a mistake.

Travis thought that what they had done had been a mistake. Kai was sure that he regretted it a little, given the situation it thrust him into, but to call it a mistake wasn't what Kai thought of it as. Apparently, Travis felt differently. His wording was upsetting and Kai wasn't entirely sure he could forget about it any time soon, which made Travis' request for time a good thing. He didn't want to be away from him but they both needed space, evidently - Travis needed to work things out and Kai needed time to forget about what had happened, to put aside his feelings.

Evidently, Travis wasn't ready for any relationship with a guy, and Kai had to accept that and try to move on.

"...It's fine, really. You need time to figure things out, I get that," he nodded as he unbuckled his belt, nodding once gratefully before slipping out from the car. "I, uh...I'll see you around."

"Yeah, I do need some time to think it over. Maybe we can try to set up a time where we can maybe hang out again. After all of this settles down," Travis had said. "See you around, and hope work is good for you..." Travis said, before driving off and back to where he lived. Knowing it was getting late, he didn't care at the moment so he thought going for a run around the track would help clear his head.

That didn't help at all.

That when he started to take a downward spiral, where he started to miss his classes but he tried to show up to his practices even if they weren't as enjoyable since some people were making fun of him. Travis was not being outgoing male, he was starting to become closed off and not as outgoing at all. That worried some of his friends, even though what happened at the party.

It wasn't long before someone had come into the restaurant, looking around specifically for someone. "Can I speak with Kai? I need to talk to him about someone," The male asked. "It's about Travis and I need help..."

Even though Kai understood that the man needed time to get things straight, he found that he couldn't operate without at least speaking to him. He tried texting and calling him after a few days had gone by, just to see how things were, but when no response came back, he decided to give up. Clearly Travis didn't want to be contacted by him, and as bad as that hurt, as much as it upset Kai, he reluctantly had to come to terms with the fact that the first friend he had made in the city no longer wanted to be near him. What they had done was a mistake, Travis had openly admitted that.

Of course Kai should know that he didn't want to be around him. He wanted to get his life back together - Kai would only complicate that for him.

After two weeks, Kai still missed his friend terribly, but he was trying to get himself back on track. He took all the hours he could at work to distract him, though mostly because he needed the money. When he wasn't working, he was at home, cuddled up on the sofa and trying to watch TV, which wasn't that easy when police sirens seemed to constantly blare outside his window, inevitably chasing criminals from the area. Thus, work had become less hellish to him. It was his escape from everything: from home and from his thoughts about Travis.

It was why hearing Travis' name when at work was the last thing he needed. He wanted to forget about Travis, and he could do that at work. Having someone bring up Travis' name only infiltrated his safe space, so much so that he tried to ignore the man... though his co-worker pointing him out hardly helped him deflect attention. Sighing heavily, he tied his apron up and wandered over after delivering some coffee and donuts to some off-duty cops, stopping by the stranger with a frown.

"I'm Kai. I... don't want to know about Travis. He's not my friend, we aren't... friends, I guess... Is he alright? I mean... just because he's ignoring me doesn't mean I stopped caring, I guess."

The friend had nodded their head, as he listened to what was Kai was saying. "He isn't alright. He isn't himself anymore, and I think I know the reason why he was doing that. After that party incident, he started to pull back in his social life and even started to not show up for his classes, just stays home. He still goes to practice, because of his scholarship but still..." the friend said to him. "Will you come with me after work? There was something else, he got drunk with me. Rather drunk and admitted, that he wants to talk with you but he is worried about messing up more. You needing someone...with more experience I guess..."

The friend waited for a response, clutching his phone that was in his hand. "My name is Adrian. I guess I am one of the few people who think he still a good alpha guy..." Adrian introduced himself. "I am worried..that he may give up soccer and just drop out completely.."

"So he wants to talk to me but he's afraid of messing up? That would be rather sweet if it wasn't so ridiculous. Doesn't he realise that it makes me feel awful? I've been ignored for two whole weeks. I... I deserve a text from him explaining this, not you. No offence," he smiled quietly, lowering his head as he shuffled behind the counter to prepare a few milkshakes for the customers that had entered, knowing their order without them even needing to tell him first. He was good at noticing the regulars and giving them this sort of service - it was why he liked the job; he was good at it.

Adrian seemed lovely, but the boy did scare him a little with his height and his piercings. Kai knew that he was overreacting; letting his inexperience and shyness cloud his judgement. Knowing that, he forced himself to look back at the other with a tired shrug.

"He can come to my apartment if he wants to talk to me; I'm always willing to hear him out, he... he knows that."

Adrian listened to what Kai was saying, understanding that Kai would feel hurt. He was in the same boat, till he actually went to see Travis in his state. "You aren't only one who been cold reception from him. I have been getting it and I am trying to get him out but that's a pain," Adrian said with a shrug of his shoulder. "Its fine, I take no offense. You should be hearing that kind of stuff from him," Adrian said after.

He had gotten some stares for his looks but it was interesting to have some like Travis be friends with him. He remembered the weird interaction but he knew they would be friends from then on.

"If you want him too, I can try dragging his damn ass over tonight. I will bring over dinner, and I will make you two talk then. What time you want me to be there with him and food?" Adrian asked

Kai found himself smiling at the stranger's way of speaking. It was refreshing to hear someone speak so passionately without a hint of deception. it was also nice to not feel any judgement or disgust from the other. He remembered being at the party, with everyone looking at him as though he had done something absolutely terrible-- well, he had done something bad by sleeping with someone in a relationship, but he doubted the reaction would be as bad as it was if he had been with a woman. It was the fact he had been with Travis, a man, that had set most people into grimacing at him, as though being with a man was such a dreadful thing to do.

Adrian, however, was kind and clearly didn't care about that. He just wanted Travis to be happy and to see him out of the darkness he was currently stuck in. It was hard not to like someone like that.

"Maybe around 7? I get off work at 6, so it'l give me an hour to tidy the place up and have a shower-- Oh, could you bring spaghetti and meatballs? That'd be awesome," the boy beamed, suddenly excited by the evening ahead. "I can't buy alcohol, i'm only 19, but I have soda and stuff-- I'll look forward to it! Hopefully we can get Travis out of the slump and... I dunno, enjoy the evening, have some fun?"

"Around 7 eh? That works for me, I know a few places that could work out," Adrian said before hearing how excited the other got. "Yeah I know this pizza joint that does pasta stuff and one other place..." he answered then, showing he had a rough idea. "Yeah, we do need to get that guy out of the funk, I will see you around then? I will get your info from Travis," he said ready to head out.

"Oh, Kai? I find it rather kind that you would let him lie like that. Travis isn't one of those types, I even told him that once since I am not one for fitting as you can see.." he said before leaving the place now. Now it was time to get Travis out, dressed and over to Kai at a good time.

Later on, Adrian had gotten Kai info and had texted him saying that he was on his way over with the food and reluctant Travis too. Pulling to the apartment, Travis came out with Adrian as they got inside and had knocked on the door. Adrian was holding the food and was behind Travis who was standing by, as it showed that he hadn't shaved and wasn't the same good guy from before.

Kai wasn't sure what to expect when he opened the door, but a sullen, unshaven Travis was not that. He expected him to be in a bad way, but he had severely underestimated just how badly he was doing, which only caused guilt to settle in. Sure, his texts and calls had been ignored, but he felt bad about not doing more for the other. He should have reached out, tracked him down, perhaps... Travis didn't want that, he wanted space, but Kai was a naturally sympathetic person who brought guilt on themselves when he didn't need to do that.

He didn't draw attention to Travis' state, instead beckoning both men inside with his usual sweet smile, running a towel through his hair quickly.

"I literally got out the shower, you guys are super on time! That's good though, I hate waiting for people," he smiled, taking the food from Adrian to place down on the small table in the living room - he didn't have a dining room in the tiny apartment, after all. "We can sit on the couch and eat watching TV, yeah? If... that's okay Travis? It's good to see you, you know. I missed speaking to you."

Both men came in, as Travis looked around the small apartment rather silently, not saying anything. Adrian laughed, "Yeah I have been to be on time, but I never use to be. Give Travis that credit, he drilled it in my head.." Adrian said, looking over at Travis before looking at Kai. Handing the food over, as Adrian waited for Travis to just say something.

Travis nodded his head, "Yeah I guess that would be fine," Travis first said, before he continued to speak. "I missed that too. I have just been busy and I am sorry for not replying back or answering my phone really. I just have not really been paying attention to it..." Travis said lastly.

Adrian let out a groan, nudging his alpha friend forward more. "Travis, lighten up, please," Adrian commented.

Travis had growled out, his alpha aura spiking a little before turning to Kai. "Adrian, do you mind stepping outside? I need to talk to Kai, privately. If you don't leave, I will drag your ass out there as you did with me," Travis said with a chuckle leaving with lips, but there was some seriousness as Adrian moved to head for the door to step outside "Fine, I will be outside.." Adrian said leaving the apartment for now but stayed close to try to listen to what they were saying.

A sigh left Travis lips, as he ran his hand through his hair. "I have finally worked through..mostly. I think I am okay with what I am. I am sorry for being a complete jerk, and it was you who helped me discover who I was hiding from..."

The almost animalistic growl from the alpha made Kai's eyes widen, though it was a natural reaction for him. He was raised in an environment where alphas were to be listened to at all costs or severe punishment would be bestowed on the disobeying omega. Kai had witnessed the punishment with his own eyes. While he knew, deep down, that Travis wasn't about to hurt him, it was instinctive by this point for him to stand straight, ready to obey whatever the other told him to do, should that occur.

He relaxed when no such demand materialised, visibly calming when, instead, Travis offered him a smile and talked to him like the old Travis would; kindly and politely. The apology felt like it came out of nowhere, hitting the omega hard, though it took mere seconds for him to widely grin in reply. He didn't need an apology really, but he deeply appreciated it nonetheless. What pleased him more was to hear that Travis wasn't running from what he was - he recognised that he felt a certain way and was ready to accept himself, rather than reject it and continue to pretend to be someone he wasn't, at his core.

"Yeah? That's great, Travis! Don't listen to those jerks at your college, they're rude and... idiotic, really. There's nothing wrong with... feeling the way you do. I'm proud of you!" He nodded firmly, taking a sip from his can of Pepsi and licking a few drops left on his lips. "I, uh-- hey, we can just be friends. Just because we... did that in the bathroom doesn't mean I want to, like, be with you, don't feel pressured to... ask me out or anything! Take your time to get comfortable with who you are first and... maybe you'll meet someone you like. If that's not me, that's cool. I'm just happy you're happy!"

Travis nodded his head, as he was happy to hear that come from him. "Well, I am glad to hear from you. I have been wanting to hear that from you, that you are proud of me," Travis said, as blush started to show in his cheeks. Listening to him, he slowly nodded his head as he looked away from Kai before looking back at him. "Maybe we can, but I want to still see later we can try something. I have enjoyed the time but looks like I should let Adrian back in.."

Moving to the door, as he was ready to open the door up before he turned to look over his shoulder to see Kai. "K-Kai, thanks again," Travis said before letting Adrian in who had moved to ruffle Travis' hair before coming inside. Adrian looked around, before going over to Kai, "So did he say it to you? That he wants to go out with you..?" Adrian had asked before getting take-out food ready for everyone to serve from it.

Travis' face went red when Adrian just said it like that. "I was gonna get to that, Adrian. Sheesh..." Travis said, starting to act like embarrassed omega. "I do want to go out with Kai. If you will accept it."

"You want to go out with me? ME? I mean, gosh Travis, look at you, you're so... handsome and-- ignore me, I'm babbling. I'd love to go out with you," he confirmed quickly. He knew he had a problem when it came to his self-confidence. He was close to turning Travis down just because he didn't consider himself attractive enough to be with someone like Travis, but he also realised in time how stupid that was. If Travis liked him, then Kai knew he shouldn't let his own insecurities get in the way of true happiness. He had a crush on him - he couldn't allow himself to get in the way of actually getting what he wanted for once.

"I have a boyfriend-- oh wow, this is major," he breathed excitedly, his cheeks flushing red in his delight, so much so that he reached to hold them in an effort to conceal how red they had become. He calmed himself down with a can of soda, downing a little to try and cool his body temperature, before sitting back in the armchair to eat. naturally, his eyes drifted back to Travis every few seconds, unable to believe that the handsome alpha was actually his now.

"...Do you want to go on a date soon, then? I'd love to go to the cinema, I've only been once before."

"Yes, I do want to go out with you. You are pretty cool and rather cute, so that's why," Travis answered, knowing that Kai didn't need an answer but he thought he would let him know about that. Travis was rather nervous himself, that he had just had asked out Kai like this. Did he feel bad that he did turn those confessions from those guys? He did a little.

Raising an eyebrow at the other, having thought he heard something from Kai like he was called boyfriend. "I can't believe I asked him out on a date..." he thought to himself.

"You wanna go on a date soon? We can totally do that, or do something else like that and maybe a meal too. Little good altogether date.." Travis answered. Adrian was happy to see Travis mostly, to see him open up like this.

"Awesome, yeah! Sounds like a plan," he confirmed with a confident nod, though averted his gaze to his food just to fight off the raging blush across his cheeks. He never thought that leaving the woods would have ended up with him actually having a life, but here he was, living independently, working and now he had a boyfriend who he wasn't forced to be with; someone who he wanted to be near and grow close to. Everything seemed to be falling into place and, for once, Kai felt like things were heading in the right direction; that his future was finally becoming clearer to him.

"So who are you dating, Adrian? You must have someone in your life," he commented as he turned the attention to the other, not knowing too much about him other than his name and the fact he was close to Travis. "I don't know you all that well-- but I'd like to! If you're dating someone, we could all go out together; a double-date, that's what people call them, right?"

"Yes, sounds like a plan," Travis said to him. "You have my number, so we can arrange that..." Travis said after with a shrug of his shoulders before he started to eat the dinner that he had served up for himself. "This pretty cool that this is going so well.." Travis continued to say.

Adrian pointed to himself, thinking about it, before speaking up. "I don't have anyone right now Kai. I am just waiting for a current lady to walk into my life...." Adrian answered, with a shrug of his shoulders. "Someone who can understand, and not judge me for what I look like..." Adrian continued to say with a nod of his head.

"There was a girl who was liking you and you asked out I remember...I still remember when you tried to ask out Katie. I told you not to do that," Travis said with a laugh.

"You tried to ask out Katie? That... cruel girl from the party?" Kai murmured in surprise, his brow arched. He understood why, when it came to the girl's looks alone. She was beautiful, intimidatingly so, so if that was the only criteria Adrian had in mind for a girlfriend, Kai perfectly understood why Katie appeared to be a viable option.

However, looks weren't everything and shouldn't be the only basis for approaching a girl and asking her out. They were undoubtedly the only reason at first, but personality mattered as well - and Katie's personality, in Kai's mind, was awful. Why the other had asked her out was beyond his comprehension, though he wasn't prepared to judge him. The girl's looks probably clouded many men's judgements.

"...I can't imagine it went well," he said gently, tucking into his meal with a happy hum. "I mean, she's flirting a lot with Travis; if you were with her, she wouldn't be doing that. I think you can do better than her, anyway. You're a nice guy; you deserve someone nice too."

"Yes, the same Katie at that stupid party," Adrian answered with a nod of her head. "She just laughed at me and said I was too much of an outsider. She mocked me in front of her friends too," Adrian continued to speak with a shrug of his shoulder. "I know she did that. Especially not around Elise, I know Katie...cheated..."

"You are right. She had that issue, but one day that alpha stopped showing up. It was said that she had done something to get rid of him," Travis commented. "I am thinking about going to apologizing to that guy who confessed to me. I want to let him know that I am sorry that I didn't stand up for him..." Travis said after.

"Don't worry about it, Travis. He talked with me actually, and I told him, so he understands why. Looks like Kai picked you up first though," Adrian had said with a shrug of his shoulder as he ate his food. "I am still jealous that you got to do it..in that kind of way. Most alphas would be jealous..."Adrian commented.