Skeletons in the Closet (potassiumboron x Ms. Flair)

Kai couldn't believe his ears, staring in shock at the college student. He had spent weeks working at a diner without his co-workers even once inviting him out, so to have a stranger do that was more surprising to him than he cared to admit. That didn't mean he was going to turn the offer down, smiling wider at the chance to not only go to a party and make new friends, but at the chance to see more of the city. He had lived his entire life in the middle of the woods, separated from society - the idea of going around the city, perhaps doing normal stuff like having a coffee and going shopping, was music to his ears.

"I...really would love that. Here, have my number - you can call me with details and stuff," he eagerly grinned, scribbling down his number and handing the piece of paper across to him. "...I'm Kai, by the way."

Travis was glad that Kai was happy that he was invited to even hang out. Nodding his own head, as he had a smile on his face from just how Kai was reacting. "I can tell," Travis had commented before he received the number from him. Looking over the number, before he tried to write his down to give it back to him. "Have mine too, and it's Travis," Travis said getting up once he was finally done eating there at the table.

Travis didn't care if people thought something was happening, he was just exchanging his number with Kai who needed a friend it seemed.

"I'll go pay but I need to order some food to go too.." Travis said, going to the counter to pay for his meal and additional food he wanted. Once he got everything, he collected his stuff and waved to Kai. "See you soon," Travis called out as he left the place. He would text Kai later on once he got back to the dorms.

Meanwhile, the same lady as before went to try to talk with Kai. "So? It looks like it went well for you huh..."

-

Travis had gotten home, where he put the number into the phone once he had time. Texting Kai shortly after, "When do you have time free to hang out? We could hang out during the day maybe?"

It had only been an hour or two since Travis left the diner, but Kai was plagued with questions from co-workers about what the two had talked about. It was the most popular Kai had been since he started working at the small diner, even though he wished that they would all leave him be - he didn't remotely understand what they were discussing. Apparently, he had flirted with Travis and his co-workers had all been eager to ask him whether he was going to take it any further if he had a chance to. He had no idea he had even flirted and, even if he had, he was certain nothing would come of it. Travis, he thought, was straight; he was a popular college kid with, presumably, an equally popular, attractive girlfriend.

Why on earth would he even go for someone like Kai if he did have an interest in guys? As much as he tried to tell his co-workers that, though, they were all too interested in gossiping about Travis and how lucky Kai would be to get close to him to care about minor details.

He deliberately headed outside for his ten minute break when the text came through, wanting to text in private without anyone crowding around to get the latest news.

'I'm free in like ten minutes, we can totally hang out then!'

• Sweet
Reactions: BattyBerry
Travis had heated up the soup that he had ordered to go, as he was settling down in the shared dorm area. Starting to eat from the take-out container, as he was going over some studies before he got a text back. Seeing it was Kai, as he read it over before starting to text him back. "Right after work though? That's fine if you want," Travis texted back, checking the time too.

"Do you want to go back to your house so you can get changed first? Then we go out for some fun and a little meal too...?"
Travis texted right after.

Getting other texts, while he moved to his own room to get himself ready. He got a text from his girlfriend and a few friends since he asked around about any nearby parties. He wondered how this would go for them all.

Kai wasn't sure what the feeling he felt come over him at that moment was, but he soon realised that he was more excited about seeing Travis than he was about the whole get together and meal. He had realised when he was 13 that he had feelings for men, and that was never discriminated against in his community. He wasn't ashamed of it, but he knew that there was a problem in feeling attracted to someone who, he thought, was straight and in a committed relationship. If he had feelings that were starting to grow stronger, then it was probably best not to head out for fun and a meal - but he was far too excited about the opportunity to see more of the city to turn down the first offer he had had to do so.

'Oh yeah - you can pick me up at my address if you want? Apartment 20, Ash Grove Apartment Complex," he texted quickly, forcing back a frown. He knew that he lived in a shitty, crime-ridden area, but the apartment was all he could afford. Besides, it was like a test of sorts - if Travis didn't want to pic him up in that area, if he judged him for living there, then clearly he wasn't a person that Kai wanted to be around. He didn't like judgemental people, so in many ways, this was a good way to test whether Travis was someone like that.

Travis was mostly ready when he got the text back from Kai, as he looked over the text and looked at the address that was there. Thinking about the address, he knew about that area. He knew it wasn't the best area to live in and someone like Kai at that too. Putting it into his phone, he saw how far it was from here and texted back to Kai. 'I can come pick you up from your place. Don't worry about it,' Travis texted as he grabbed his things to take along with him.

'see you in a little bit. I am gonna drive from dorms over to your place,' Travis texted after. Once out of the dorms, he started up the old car that he picked up for a good amount of money. Driving over to the address, as he parked the car in front of the address and looked around the surrounding area.

'I am already here. Ready to go out and try to hang out...'

This isn't a date. This isn't a date. This is NOT a date.

Yet, no matter how many times Kai told himself that, he couldn't help feeling flustered when the text came through that Travis was waiting for him. He didn't know how to describe the feeling, but he was blushing and felt as though his knees would continue to knock against one another for the entirety of the night. To say he was excited as an understatement - even though he had to persistently remind himself that Travis wasn't taking him out with romantic intentions; he was being friendly and offering to show him around. It was what a potential friend did. He was straight, he thought, and had a girlfriend - of course this wasn't a date.

He arrived out to the car in no time, rushing in and buckling in his seatbelt with a flustered grin across to Travis. Even though he knew how wrong it was to start falling for him, he couldn't help but notice just how handsome the college student was. His girlfriend was a lucky woman.

"So, where are we off to then? It's your call; I don't know much of the city yet."

Travis was going through some messages, as he looked through some until he looked to see Kai come out. Putting his phone away into his pocket, as he rested his hands on the steering wheel in front of him. Waving to the other, before moving to unlock the car now. "Hey Kai," Travis started to say before he started up the engine.

"I was thinking we could go to this one shopping area. It has a bunch of things and even some good food places around," Travis said to him. Starting to drive to where they were going, "Being on your own around here must be scary sometimes. I couldn't personally do it, but I think it's cool that you can," Travis had said as he drove there.

Stopping at a red light, "There is a party coming up actually. Not tonight but in few days I think. Thought I let you know..." he said before starting to drive once it was green. Arriving at the location, he parked his car before getting out of the car before stretching out his body. "So this is little shopping center that we have near the university. You can almost anything up here, so its a good place when you need to get things.."

Starting to lead him through, with his hands in his pocket, as he walked while his brain thought so more. Like how other was kind of cute again.

Being invited to an official party made Kai smile to the extent that he had to physically bite his lip to prevent himself looking like an idiot. It just meant more to him than Travis (or anyone for that matter) would ever understand. He wasn't going to tell anyone about his family and the community he was from, not until he felt he could trust them, so nobody would ever understand why it meant so much to him until then. It was the indication of his freedom; he felt like a normal teenager for once, and that was all he needed and wanted after years feeling ostracised from normality.

"This place is awesome, really. It's so big," he whispered in amazement, trying to stop himself but failing in the wonderment he possessed. He knew it might come off as strange, to be so amazed by a mall, but he had never experienced anything like it. To him, it was amazing and he was unable to pretend otherwise.

"Let's go and get some stuff, then! I want to get some paint and a canvas, I'm sort of into art right now. Then let's get food, that sounds like a plan."

"Yeah it is a pretty nice size mall, we have a good one in town but there is bigger one then on the outside of the city.." Travis explained, letting him know about the other mall that was near and was even bigger than this one. It was a little weird for him, that Kai was acting like this at the moment. Why was someone like this at just this?

Did he come from a small city? He would ask, but maybe later on.

"Sure let's go," Travis started to say before stopping then, once he started to talk about his hobby. "Those are pretty cool things. Let's go to the art store that is around here," Travis continued to say as he brought him where there was a little bit of mix of shops but there was a nice quaint art shop. Stopping there, as he pointed it over, "Look there. There is an art shop..."

"Wanna go in?" he asked

Kai wasn't sure how better the day could go. Just the sight of the mall had made the day great, so to be led into an art shop instantly topped it off for him. He wasn't used to anything from the city yet, despite having lived there for a few weeks now - he had been so consumed by finding work and a place to live that just enjoying himself like this was something he had failed to do. He had barely left the downtown area of the city, and that was hardly a place full of exciting things for him to experience, outside of crime. The mall was such a simple thing for many people, but to Kai, it was everything he hoped the city would be full of.

It was only when he entered the art shop alongside Travis that his giddy excitement faltered a tad, his wide, bright eyes blinking on confusion (and nervousness) when a girl approached them. He wasn't one to be easily intimidated, but the girl's confidence and clear beauty was a little overwhelming, rendering him silent the moment she stepped forward to greet them. Kai rightly guessed that she was someone from Travis' college, though a small part of him hoped that they were friends and nothing more than that. Already, he felt a crush develop, even though he was sure Travis was either already taken for, or completely straight.

"Hi Travis-- I didn't know you were an art lover?" The girl, Katie, greeted as she twirled a strand of hair around her finger, her eyes locked on the fellow student with a flirty smile on her lips. "Oh, forget that, that's boring-- did you hear about the party tonight, at Sam's place? His parents are out of town so he's throwing a party-- I'm sure you heard about it. I hope you're not going to be a bore and miss out on it?"

Travis thought Kai was pretty but noticed had changed in him. Looking around, until he spotted the female who was coming over to them. She knew that girl, he had met her a couple of times through school events and even at some parties that he attended too in the past.

"I may be just a hidden one you know Katie," Travis answered, looking over at Kai before looking back at Katie seeing how she was reacting at the moment. "Yes, I did hear about that. One of the guys from the team told me, so trust me I know," Travis started to say. Thinking about it before a moment, "Now Katie, I just suggest you back off with your flirting unless you want Elise to know that you were doing that. You know, my girlfriend," Trevor said with a glare toward her.

"Now we must go, I am showing my new friend to this art shop.," Travis said before he started to drag Kai along to get away from that. When far away, he let out a sigh before letting go. "I am sorry about that. I hope she didn't make you feel uncomfortable. Katie should back off now since Elise's standing is popular."

Kai might be naive, but he would have to be braindead not to notice the glare the student had sent the stranger, his eyes wide in surprise at the animosity held behind the gaze. He wasn't sure what he felt by it, whether it confused him or surprised him, but it was soon overshadowed. Just because he had thoughts on whether Travis was spoken for didn't mean he had to believe them. He was holding out hope that those thoughts were unfounded and were just paranoid doubts that would ultimately be incorrect.

Yet, now he had that confirmation that they were correct: Travis had a girlfriend. Kai found himself immediately frowning at that revelation, nibbling at the edge of his thumbnail in an attempt to quash how suddenly upset he was. He hadn't ever dated anyone, but he had had crushes, and so, he knew that what he was feeling fro Travis was the onset of some crush. To have the chance of developing that crush immediately shot down before it even had a chance to blossom was disappointing, but he forced himself to smile nonetheless.

"...Oh, no, it's fine. You're very popular, huh? Doesn't surprise me. A guy like you is always going to be popular," he laughed quietly, adjusting his jacket to give his hands something to do. "She, uh... was intimidating, but that's just because she was so... confident? I don't do great with overly confident people."

Looking over a few things with Kai, as he looked over at Kai where Travis watched him do what he wanted to do. "Yeah I am pretty popular, from being on a sports team and just knowing the right people I guess," Travis had answered. Hearing what he said, he thought about it before giving an answer. "She can be and she is one of those confident types," Travis answered, having heard what he said. "What are you looking for? Anything specific that we can look for here?"

Travis looked over things, as he thought back about that party invitation that was out there. He could go, but could he take Kai with him? Thinking about it again, he thought maybe he should suggest it.

"So Kai, remember how Katie talked about that party? I was wondering if we could go together there tonight, we can go out and have a time of our life unless you rather wait for another party to roll around?" Travis asked.

"Oh... Oh, tonight? I-I... I'd love to!" Confirmed Kai after only just a second or two to think the offer over. Doubt had crept in a little when he was glanced down at by the strange woman, treated as though he was something insignificant that paled in comparison to her. If she thought that way, then surely some others at the party would too? He knew that he wasn't educated like they were, and he could hardly tell them about his family without earning incredulous remarks or, perhaps, even teasing.

However, his desire to attend a party and experience something normal for someone his age trumped those fears. Sure, it was possible that he might be looked down upon or teased but it was a risk worth taking.

"Definitely, that sounds like fun-- would you take me? I, uh... doubt they'd let me come if I wasn't with you, Mr. Popular~"

"Yes, tonight would be the night for us to have a little fun. For you to have fun..." Travis agreed with him, as he went along with him. "You know how it's gonna be? Very loud and a lot of stuff like loud music, and even some alcohol. Maybe some good snacks, and don't forget about some good dancing..."

Pointing to himself, before nodding his head to his question. "Yes I would take you, of course, I wouldn't just send you by yourself," Travis answered him. "You never know about that, but I like being called Mr.Popular. You should say that more," Travis said, teasing him a little at the moment. "Now do you need help with getting dressed? For the party?" Travis asked, suggesting him.

"We can have fun together...tonight.."

Kai knew it was probably his crush that was skewing things, but he couldn't help but feel like Travis' tone was flirtatious. It certainly seemed that way to him.

We can have fun together... You should say that more...

Inwardly repeating the words to himself only made them appear more and more flirtatious which in turn made his cheeks grow pink. It was wrong, he knew, to want the other to be flirty with him if he had a girlfriend. Kai was many things, but a relationship-wrecker wasn't something he wanted to ever be called.

"...I'm sure you'll be too busy having fun with your girlfriend to even notice me at the party," he laughed in return, turning his gaze to the vibrant array of oil paints, just to avoid looking up at (and blushing at) Travis. "Maybe I can meet her? Will she like me, do you think? The more friends I make, the better."

Stopping nearby some oil pants, as he looked those over as he listened to what Kai had to say. "I don't think that would happen though. If I am inviting you to come, then I will stay near and hang around you," Travis said to him. Thinking about it, he shrugged his shoulders, "You sure can meet her. I think so, she can be a pretty nice person, and that is great..." Travis said to him after, giving him a good answer.

"These look good though?'" Travis suggested pointing to a bundle of oil paints, paint brushes and even sketchbook for it. "This looks like a good bundle. To me, but what about you?" Travis asked.

Looking around, as he took out his phone where he started to text to his girlfriend and even some of his buddies. "I am just telling people, I am bringing a new friend, you, to the party tonight so they know.."

Kai's lips might have been pulled into a smile, but it was fair to say that he was far from happy all of a sudden. He hated the fact that he couldn't feel happiness when this was all he had wanted ever since he escaped his family's strict traditional upbringing of him, but it was difficult to see past the fact that the first boy he had developed a crush on since leaving the woods was in an (apparently) committed relationship with a girl, and was seemingly happy to be doing so. It was hard to overcome the sudden crushing upset he felt - but he was determined not to let it get to him. He couldn't let a silly crush, formed over a mere day, ruin the very thing he had wanted for weeks.

So, by the time the party had crawled around, Kai's mood had perked up. He didn't have new clothes to wear -all his money went on rent, food and his bills- but he managed to find a few items of clothing he thought looked cute and cool enough to blend into a party of students. Besides he hoped they'd end the night too drunk to notice that his clothes were cheap and not at all from the expensive stores in the mall.

With a final glance in the mirror, slicking his hair back and adjusting the single earring in his ear, he nodded to himself to try and instil some confidence before rushing out to meet Travis in his car. He still felt attracted to him, of course -it wasn't going to disappear- but he was determined not to allow himself to be upset by the other's relationship. Travis was a new friend, and he wanted to keep that friendship - without it, he'd be right back at square one: alone with no-one to help him get into these party scenes.

"You look great," he beamed, spraying himself with a little perfume before finally being confident enough to stop fussing over himself. "So, uh-- this guy's party-- his house is huge, right? God, is he rich? I'm not gonna fit in too well-- Just get me drunk so I won't be too paranoid."

Travis had tried his best to keep Kai happy, as he went along with him. He had dropped him back off, as he tried to go hang out with his girlfriend after or his friends. He decided to get some schooling down and even went to do some practice.

Travis arrived at the place, parking his vehicle as h waited for Kai to come out. Seeing Kai there, he waved to him before seeing how he dressed. He looked pretty good to him, but he tried to keep those type of thoughts out of his brain. He shouldn't think like that, he was straight or he thought he was.

"Well thanks, Kai, you look great too.." Travis said, starting to drive over to where the party was happening. "Yeah it is huge but it isn't that big," Travis commented. "Oh no, he isn't rich. Sometimes they even held them in like warehouses, and I may be doing that. I would get drunk with you, to make sure you are safe.."