Sing for Absolution

When Matt finally stumbled up to Dom's cabin and pounded the door, Dom wasn't there, so he made his way to Chris' cabin, hoping they were hanging out there. When Chris answered the door, he looked shocked.

"Whoa, mate, what the hell happened to you?"

"Where's Dom?" Matt heaved.

"He's not in his cabin?"

"No!" Matt cried, his frustration growing again. He punched the doorframe and began swearing again.

"Erm… come inside, Matt," Chris said. It looked like Matt was about to have one of his tantrums and Chris was the only one who had the power to really hold him in place until he calmed down.

"I have to find, Dom!" Matt had no idea anymore why it was he needed Dom, he just knew that he needed Dom.

"I don't know where Dom is, Matt. I don't keep constant tabs on him."

Matt picked up a glass off of Chris' table and threw it against the wall. In an instant, Chris had Matt in a headlock, Matt's arms pinned behind his back. Matt tried to kick behind him but to no success.

"Calm. Down."

Matt yelled and Chris guided him to the sofa, pushing him face down and sitting on his friend while still holding him in the lock. It would have been a comical scene any other time, but not today. Matt kicked his legs uselessly until finally he was breathing easier.

To say the least, Chris was glad Matt had found him before Dom.

Dom pulled himself out of the cool water, his fit, wet body glistening in the lowering sunlight. He shimmied himself dry in the fluffy bath towel he'd brought along with him. He loved the water and found it to be a relaxing sort of getaway. He wrapped the towel around his waist and made his way back toward the main lodge. As he ambled past the bus stop though, he paused. He'd seen the girl sitting there before, and he tilted his head to get a better look at her.

"Alyne?"

The sound of her name made Alyne look up automatically, and she turned to see Dom standing there. He looked fantastic of course, but she just gave him a half smile, forgetting about hiding the bruise along her jaw.

"Hey, Dom. Can you tell Matt goodbye for me? When I told him I was leaving he.. We didn't really get a chance to say goodbye," she said quietly, wincing a bit as she recalled how he had yelled at her to defend herself.

She had tried, oh, how she had tried..

Dom knelt in front of her, concern flooding his face. "Are you okay?" he asked, reaching out and touching her jaw. "You're hurt. You look like you've been through hell. Here," he said, taking her hand, "Let's get you back to the cabin, we'll get you cleaned up, maybe Matt's back and you can… tell him whatever it is you need to tell him…"

"I'm fine," she lied softly, flinching a little at his touch and avoiding his gaze.

She was caught offguard when he took her hand, but she allowed him to pull her up off the bench and lead her back toward the resort.

"I don't think Matt wants to see me ever again, Dom.. This probably isn't a good idea.." she said quietly, trailing after him anyway. "I should just go catch the bus.. He probably won't realize I'm gone til you tell him.."

Dom stopped turned, grabbing her by the shoulders. "He didn't do this to you, did he? Matt?" His eyes were wide, as if not wanting to believe such a thing about his best friend. "Tell me the truth, did he? Is that why you don't want to see him? Is that why you're leaving?"

"What? No, of course not. I'm leaving because of somebody else. The only reason I don't want to see him is because he doesn't want to see me. He yelled at me last time - with good reason, but I think he's still angry. He wouldn't hit me," Alyne said, frowning in confusion before she tilted her head slightly. "Would he?"

Dom shook his head, looking relieved. "I really doubt he would hit a girl. He's misses a lot of social cues, likes to break tradition, but I would never believe he'd hurt you. I think… maybe you should talk to him." Dom put his arm around her gently. He had a very caring and nurturing nature about him. This came from growing up in a very loving family, a family that had been a haven for Matt as well. Growing up, Matt had come over so often that sometimes Dom would go to bed alone, and wake up to find that Matt had snuck over and slept on the old sofa his parents kept in the garage, finding him there as he was leaving for school, or finding him at the breakfast table unexpectedly.

"His bark is worse than his bite, I promise," Dom said, guiding her toward the cabins. "I should know, I've known the guy for almost twelve years now."

Alyne swallowed hard as Dom guided her along. It was good to know that Matt wouldn't hit her. She hadn't thought that he would anyway. Following Dom's guidance, she found herself approaching a cabin. Hanging back a little, she waited for him to go in first, then followed after him and looked around hesitantly. Was this going to be bad..?

Dom blinked as he walked in and met eyes with Chris, who was sitting on Matt, holding his arms behind his back.

"Er… what's going on?" he asked, peering at Matt who's head shot up.

"Dom!" he cried.

Dom burst into laughter at Matt's hair. "Oh my god you look like you stuck your finger in a socket!"

"Chris, let me go!" Matt said, trying to wiggle free. Chris let him go and stood up. Matt scrambled to his feet, limping as he approached Dom and Alyne. He slowed as he got closer and had a better look at Alyne.

Then, his face getting red, stalked right past her and Dom, his hands balled into fists at his sides. "I'm gonna beat the crap out of him!" he shouted, limping his way back towards the village.

"Matt! Get back here, Chris-" Dom protested with a sigh, "Go stop him."

Chris rolled his eyes. "I swear to god I'm more of a dad here than I am at home," he said, going outside and hauling Matt back to the cabin, returning him back to his previous position, face down on the couch where his protests were muffled, arms behind back and Chris sitting almost leisurely on top of him.

Alyne stared at the odd positioning of Chris and Matt. Had they been sparring or something? Dom apparently didn't get it either. She smiled a bit as Dom ointed out Matt's hair, because it was true. However, her slight smile faded as Matt's eyes met hers and she could see him taking in her disheveled appearance. As he walked by, she shook her head worriedly.

"Matt, don't!" she cried out, but Chris had already gone out and was hauling him back in. Well, that explained the positioning..

"I-I shouldn't be here, it's only u-upsetting him more. Don't let him g-go up there, please.. Perry has guns.. I'm g-gonna go," she stuttered uncertainly, not wanting to make things worse as she backed toward the door.

"I'm not afwaid of guns!" Matt hollered into the sofa. "I've been shot before! I'm still alive!"

Dom rolled his eyes, "Don't listen to him." He took Alyne's hand and lead her to the sofa. "Why don't you tell us what happened, while Chris makes sure Matt doesn't say anything."

"Perry's a scumb-" Matt couldn't finish though. Chris had pulled a sock off of Matt's foot, balled it up and shoved it in Matt's mouth. Dom cringed.

"That's gross…" he couldn't seem to stop staring at the sock in Matt's mouth. He was a bit of a germaphobe. "Anyway…" he said, shaking his head and trying to look away, "Go on."

Alyne hesitated, then took Dom's hand and let him lead her over to the sofa, taking a seat as she watched Chris gag Matt. Looking up at Dom uncertainly, she sighed and had to look away.

"I used to live with my brother, Andrick. He left unexpectedly - he wasn't supposed to be gone for over a week. Perry heard that I was home alone, I guess. He was angry because I've denied him before and he thought I was a tease, and.." she trailed off, not wanting to say more but pushing on anyway. "He thought I stole his stock. I told him that I did, because I didn't want him to come after you," she said the last part softly, gazing over at Matt before she swallowed and continued.

"He.. He.. got his wish. Took everything he wanted, hitting until I couldn't fight him off anymore," she whispered, pulling up one of her sleeves with a shaking hand to show Dom the dark purple hand-shaped bruises all along her slender arm.

"I-I have to get out of here before he finds me again.. I'm.. I'm a coward.."

Matt made a noise and Chris casually smacked him in the back of the head. "Yes we know you have something to say. Save it."

Matt kicked violently and Chris shifted his weight so that the kicks were harmless.

"Jesus," said Dom. "Did he… you know…?" Dom shifted, obviously uncomfortable with the subject. "Be honest."

She looked down at her hands, saying nothing for a long second before she nodded. Earlier she had hinted toward this and thought that he would understand what she meant. Oh god those images weren't going to leave her mind for a very long time.. Perry had been so happy...

"Y-Yes.." she whispered. "My worst bruises are here," she added, gingerly tapping the insides of her thights.

"We really ought to get you to a doctor," Dom said, glancing over at Chris who had released Matt's arms, but remained sitting on top of him. Matt had turned his face into the back of the couch, not bothering to remove the sock in his mouth though his hands were now free. Chris nodded, glanced down at Matt and carefully stood up.

Chris and Dom had done this enough times with Matt to know that Matt had given up and was no longer planning on going anywhere. Their silent exchange expressed this, and neither of them said anything when Matt pushed himself off of the couch, removed the sock from his mouth, letting it drop to the floor without throwing it at anyone and meandered silently out to the porch.
Dom sighed quietly and when Chris's sigh echoed his own, he knew Chris was thinking the same thing as he was.

Dom squeezed Alyne's hand. "Why don't you go wash up. Take as much time as you need."

Alyne shook her head slightly, tensing. A doctor? No.. They'd ask questions and want to know what happened to her. She'd have to say it all again and be examined and probed and.. No. She couldn't take it. Sitting there alone on some paper-covered examination table was something she couldn't handle right now. She didn't even like doctors normally.

She glanced at Matt as he got up and went outside. His silence was like a resounding disapproval, one that she felt strike her to the core. All she could think was that he was upset with her for not being able to take care of herself and defend herself like she should have. She looked down at her hands and was on the verge of tears when Dom took her hand and squeezed it.

"Okay," she whispered shakily, standing and taking her duffel bag in with her to the bathroom that Dom had indicated.

Once inside, she shut and locked the door, then just sat there on the side of the tub for several minutes. She hadn't even cried since this all happened - she just felt numb. Matt was right. She was running away. Wincing at her own cowardice, she finally stripped and got in the shower, mindful of the sore spots. It took ages to even wash herself since her own touch brought back flashes of memories that just wouldn't leave. Finally she stepped out, breathless and shaking.

She dressed in a clean set of jeans and a tank top from her bag, but after seeing the deep bruises all along her arms, she added a zip-up hoodie over it. After applying a little makeup to hide the one on her jaw, she brushed her hair up into a messy ponytail and crept out of the bathroom hesitantly.

Dom stepped out on the porch when Alyne went into the bathroom. Quietly, he pulled out a cigarette and lit up. He leaned against the railing, not saying anything to Matt, who was sitting sullenly on the steps of the cabin, looking out toward the lake. Dom couldn't be sure of what Matt was thinking, though he had a few ideas. However he was sure of one thing, and that was that Matt was confused by his own thoughts.

"'s not my fault," Matt said after a very long silence. Dom said nothing, still puffing away at his cigarette, just letting Matt talk. "I'm not sorry for what I did. The guy's a prick and he deserved it."

Matt huffed. "She could have told him anything. It got lost in the mail. Your supply company screwed something up. The crates were destroyed in shipping. There are so many possibilities for why two crates could have gone missing- that's why I only took two! Yet he jumps to the conclusion that someone stole them, and then, even better, blames the girl he supposedly wants to marry, then uses it as an excuse to rape her. Some people shouldn't be allowed to live on this earth!"

Dom knew there was more that Matt wanted to say, but he left it there. "It's not your fault," Dom agreed simply.

Matt was silent for a long time again and when he spoke again, his voice was very low. "But I went and got involved in something maybe I shouldn't have. And now there's distraction here. And for that I take blame."

Keeping her duffel slung over her shoulder, Alyne tugged her wet shoes back on and went out on the porch since nobody was in the cabin. Matt and Dom were both there, but there was a silence that made her think they had been talking and there had either been a lull in the conversation, or they had stopped talking when she came out. Either way, it wasn't her business. She couldn't look either of them in the eye, her shame was destroying her methodically on the inside too rapidly for her to act confident.

"Thanks for letting me shower. Definitely warmer than the lake.." she said, her voice quiet and slightly shaky but a lot more steady than she had expected. That was good. At least she wasn't on the verge of sobbing anymore.

"I'm going to go catch the next bus and go down to the city. Good luck with all of the recording stuff. I'm sure it'll sound awesome. Maybe you'll get more work done when there are less things.. interrupting you guys," she added, aware that she may have disrupted the plans that they had for today. Well, it wasn't completely her fault. Dom had basically dragged her here instead of letting her vanish on the bus.

"Are you leaving to get out or are you running away?" Matt asked, for some reason, the answer was important to him.

"Matt-" Dom protested quietly.

"Let her go if she wants to leave!" Matt said, "There's nothing stopping you. I don't know why you've stayed here as long as you have anyway, life is a lot bigger than tiny villages like these where people get stuck and they don't even realize- or care that their life is going to be nothing but this tiny village. That's Perry's problem. And yours too!"

"Matt-" Dom said again.

"I'm not sorry for the things I'm saying. I believe in them wholly and if she wants to be a person who can respect herself, maybe it's better that she leaves. So let her go."

Alyne froze, staring at Matt as he spoke to her. He tore into everything that she had been thinking anyway, exposing it all and making it seem like it was horrible and pointless. She found that she couldn't look away from him, even as her pale cheeks flushed with shame and her slender body started shaking. Dom tried to stop him but it didn't matter. He just kept going until he finally declared that they should just let her go.

Without a single word, she left. She passed them both and walked away from the cabins, through the resort until she came back to the bus stop. There wouldn't be another shuttle for over an hour, so she started walking down to the city on her own. It'd only take a few hours, she figured.

Maybe it'd be long enough for her to get rid of the urge to just curl up and cry.