Simply never simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the moment their eyes met, Alice knew that it was Alecander. That perverted cosplay freak bastard. Even though she knew that he didn't cosplay she couldn't get that thought out of her mind so it always stayed in her sentences when she thought about him. She planned to just ignore him and keep walking but then the principal stoped them.

"Well I have a lot to do so you can show him around, okay Alice? Bye bye" Anna said, giving Alice a pat on the shoulder and then escaping to the library. Alice looked after her as she ran away, they both had a lot to do, they had a big test this day and Alice needed to study to.
"I'm so going to kill you Anna" Alice murmured to herself and tried not to loose her temper, she weren't about to loose her temper because of Anna but because of Alecander. What a stalker, comming to her school cosplaying a human.

She turned around and faced Alecander and without any enthusiast she said "Okay, I'll show you around." She noticed the glare the principal gave her and understood that he wanted her to smile and act nicely, like hell she would. He destroyed her birthday cake, okay she destroyed it but it was a bit his fault. The principal disappeard in to his office again and they were left alone in the hallway.
"Give me one reason to not tear of your tail" She said with a high pitched happy voice and a face that radiated the words 'I'll kill you someday'

Alec gave her a beaming smile and held out the box in his hand that he was expertly balancing. "This may give you a tiny bit of satisfaction for the birthday cake that you lost this morning," he said in a rather happy voice, "Listen, Alice, I didn't come here to stalk you. Well, not really. That was maybe one point in a long list of points. The most important reason is that you aren't the only one that needs a high school diploma. And since I do need one to make a living after I graduate, I might as well enroll in a school where I can keep an eye on you and make sure that none of your powers go wacky on you. And if they do, then I can cover 'em up somehow. Even if I get in trouble for them, I'm more than happy to cover for you." Despite the happiness in his tone, his eyes were serious, for once.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked at the paper as he held out the box. If she took it, and if she opened it, there was a cake waiting inside, the exact kind that had been smashed on his face earlier that day. While it wasn't 'her' cake, he was meaning to make up for taking the cake away from her. Being part wolf came with an almost need to not be in 'the dog house'. If anyone looked at him now, they would see a young man trying to buy his way back into favor.

"You know, that was pretty mature said of you." She said with a proud voice that then turned darker "But you could have skipped the part where you actually confessed that you were stalking me." She sighted and took the box before she continued in a normal voice,"I can take care of myself and cover for my own mistakes, go to another school. I maybe need to stand you after school but not on school time. But for now I'm forced to show you around so lets get going"

She turned around and started to walk, it wasn't a big school so there wasn't much to show. The classrooms were in such an order so even an idiot would fine without getting shown around. But the dining room and the library could be hard to find, so she thought about starting there. She stoped when they reacher her locker that was just ten metres from the principals office and put the box in there. She could open it later, now she didn't have time, but it was that perverted bastard who had given it to her so it was probably some kind of joke or something. She started to walk again.

"The classrooms are easy to find, they stand in order, classroom 1 to 12 on the ground floor and classroom 13-24 on the second floor. It is a number on every door that shows what classroom it is, so it isn't easy to go wrong." She explained as they walked threw the hallway.

Alecander watched the girl turn from proud to dark and tilted his head. He really didn't mind her mood swings. It wasn't like he really had a choice but to stalk her. It would have been worse if they had been more than five miles apart--the pain that hit his stomach. That was a new thing to him, something that only would happen once they had both come into their powers. He noted that she didn't open the box though she took it from him and put it in her locker.

"I don't think you understand what is going on Alice," Alec said, his eyes darkening for a moment, though he was thankfully looking away at the time, at the classroom numbers. "your powers can manifest themselves in any form: a firestorm, a tornado, a flood, an earthquake, or something smaller like a fire or the sprinklers going off. Until you learn to control they you will be a ticking time bomb, to put it frankly. I can't, and won't, let you get into trouble for something you don't have the foggiest about. And I'm sure you'll be glad to know that once you have learned everything there is to learn you won't, any longer, have to deal with me. My purpose will have been fulfilled and I'll simply...disappear from your life." Alec was glaring at the door in front of him as he walked when he spoke of disappearing, though it quickly disappeared as he turned to smile brightly at Alice.

"So just think, the sooner you learn to control your powers and the basics of being a witch, the quicker you'll be rid of me--the stalking perverted cosplay freak you seem so intent on calling me." Despite his own speaking, he had heard everything that she had explained about the classrooms.

Alice listened to him not sure how to react.
"So you will be out of my life as fast as I learn to controll this.. powers" She said it with a bit hesitation, it still felt so unreall and even though he had given her proof she still tried to deny the fact that all this was happening. "How can this even be happening, creatures like you and witches, they are just fairytales. They shouldn't exist." Alice felt like a stubborn child when she tried to proove a point that hadn't any evidence after he had already given her evidence for his existence.

"Well I wont like it, and I will keep believing this isn't real but" She took a deep breath before she continued "I'll let you teach me untill I'm able to controll my so called powers." She said it a bit unwillingly and continued in a threatening tone "But if you comes in to my room when I'm not properly dressed again, then I will tear your ears of and feed them to the rats." Then her voice changed to become more friendly, even though a bit of irritation glanced threw "And if you look at you right side you can see our wonderfull library, where you can study and borrow books or get to be in privacy because no one ever goes in there, not even the librarian does." Then she changed in to a serious voice "Seriously, she doesn't come. I sit in there three times a week and I haven't seen her even once, we start to think she has died."

The last part wasn't true, it was just a stupid rumour that had been spread that the librarian had commited suicide. But if that was the case then they would have employed a knew one by now.

"I'll disappear completely." Alec answered with a curt nod, trying not to show just how frightened of this he was. It wasn't that he truly wanted to stalk the girl. She was pretty in her own way. But he didn't want to disappear either. "We exist just like everything else in the universe. Listen, I didn't want to show up in your room in the middle of the night. it happens to anyone that is a witch or wizard. The second that she or he becomes 18 their familiar is torn from whatever they are doing and made to appear before them. We have no control over what happens. It's just how it's been done since the beginning. Believe me, if I had had a choice I would have approached you in a much kinder way, like joining your school and working my way into a friendship with you before telling you. That had been my plan, but alas, it isn't like I really had a choice." he was rambling once more, something he seemed to do whenever on the topic of his and her kind.

He looked at the library and couldn't help but smile. "You could probably find me in there if you ever need me during school time and I'm not in the outside. Books fascinate me far more than magic or any other things do." he admitted without thinking before looking shyly out from behind his glasses. "Not, that you really need to know that after all. Sorry. You don't want to see me at all during school time right?" It was a tease and yet at the same time, far inside him he felt a sadness that he couldn't place. Maybe it was bond, telling him that that wasn't how it was supposed to be--that they should be together every moment to work on her power controls.

She listened to him and understood that he actually didn't have a choice, maybe he wanted to be with her as litle as she wanted to be with him. She suddenly felt a litle guilty for how she had treated him, he hadn't asked to do this.
"Okay, so no one of us had a choice," she stoped and turned around to look at him "So to make this better for both of us we should make up rules." She interupted herself and thought for a second, "first rule, don't go in to my room without permission. Two, don't let my father see you if you need to come to my house. Three, on sundays I am with my boyfriend, so don't stalk me around on sundays. Some rules you want to have?" She wasn't certain if she needed more rules, she didn't know him good enough to know what rules was nessecary, she just hoped he would stick to the them.

She started to walk again, she remembered that she don't have that much time on the tour, her lesson would soon start.
"The cafeteria is a bit down this hallway, it's open from 10.30 to 12.45 and for the most they have three different dishes to chose between. But trust me, nothing of it are edible, once half the school got sick because of the food. I always take food with me from home." She said as she saw the door to the cafeteria a bit down the hallway.

Alec listened to the rules and nodded, looking away out a nearby window. "To your first rule I would have to say that I wasn't raised to be that rude. To your second rule, I don't plan on it. Third rule, your boyfriend is lucky and I will try not to stalk you. But this is a relatively large town and unless I'm within five miles of you I'll get horribly sick. But Five miles is a long distance so it rally doesn't matter that much no?" he responded with a small shrug.

"As for me, I don't have any rules since I'm the Familiar. It would be bad manners for a familiar to tell his witch or wizard when to ask for him and when not to. And it's not like I have anyone to hang out with here on any day of the week. Unless it's you and helping you work with your powers." the words were lighthearted, though his eyes were glinting as he watched a car drive past. Then he started to follow the young woman as she walked and explained the food choices. He couldn't help but stick his tongue out in reaction to the 'half the school got sick' part.

"I'll just have to deal with that for today and then I'll remember to bring something." Alec said with a grin before pulling out the sheet of paper that told him his classes and peered through his glasses at the smaller print. "Well I have to head off to--oh great a refresher course in French." He rolled his eyes like a normal high school student would do and sighed. "Is there anything else that I have to know, Miss Alice?"

Alice stopped again to look at him, she rose her eyebrows and rolled her eyes then shaked her head.
"Did you seriously call me miss? Just say Alice. And isn't that kind of rude, that a familiar doesn't have anything to say about it. I mean, you aren't a thing for me to use, you have your own life to, if you want to do something without me when I want to train then you should have the right to say no to me, just an example. There must be something that you don't want me to do, sometimes you want to be alone or something like that." She was a bit concerned about him now, he should be allowed to have his own opinion, it wasn't like he was her slave or anything like that and she wouldn't treat him as one.

She sighted and tried to calm down before looking out threw the window, trying to hide her concerned facial expression with her hair.
"Well the only thing that you need to know is that the PE hall is the building on the backyard of the school, you can't miss it." She said keeping her eyes averted from him.

Alec grinned and bowed. "Yes I did just call you that, Miss Alice. After all, we just met. Being too familiar might give others the wrong idea about you and I." he told her before straightening and looking about for the room that he would have to go to. "It has always been the job of the familiar to do as their mistress or master wishes, whenever they wishes. Like I said. I don't have many to hang out with anyway." And I won't be trying to get any either. It'll be too difficult when I have to leave. he thought to himself, frowning up at the doors.

"I suppose, if I have to say there is one thing I'd prefer you not do it would be to chop off my tail and ears and feed them to rabbits." Alec said as a joke before holding up a hand in farewell. "Maybe we will have a class or two together. It has been my pleasure to have such a beauty give me a tour around the school. If I see you naught before we meet in the woods, I wish you a good day." This was all said in a rather prominent French accent as he turned, gave her a lopsided grin and ambled off towards his class without giving her time to argue about what a familiar could or could not expect from a witch or wizard.

And that was the last she was to see of him (which he made sure of) that day except for at lunch and maybe in the hall. Alec had been careful to not get any classes with Alice so that he would keep his nuisance of a self out of her way for most of the day. At lunch he sat alone, a self forced outcast, eating the food as he went over a few papers he had received from the teachers he had had. some of the girls had attempted to talk to him and had gotten a silly grin and a nice enough reaction, but had run away giggling before a decent conversation could be established. At these times Alec would move his blue-black gaze over the cafeteria and let it land for a split second on Alice before he would look down and go back to his reading. The look almost said 'See, I won't ruin your social standing. I'll be a good little puppy and sit out of the way', though it landed for only two or three seconds before disappearing again.

She knew she had lost for now, he didn't give her a chance to reply but she still wouldn't let this go. The next time they met she would definitely tell him what she thought about the hole mistress thing.

The day went on slowly, Alice tried to concentrate on her lessons but with everything that had happend she couldn't think straight. Even when Anna tried to talk to her she barely listened. When lunch finaly arrived, Alice started to walk towards the cafeteria, maybe she could find Alecander and try to talk to him about this mistress thing. As she arrived in to the cafeteria her eyes catched a glance of him right away, when he noticed her he gave her a look that almost said 'I won't get in your way and I'll stay here like a nice puppy.' The look he gave her made her a bit irritated but it still made her a bit sad. She were just going to walk to him but then she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Erik" She said surprised when her boyfriend suddenly appeard, to go over to another guy after he had come there would look bad so she decided to sit with Erik instead of going and talk to Alecander. But she couldn't get the feeling of guilt away, she always used to feel so happy when she met Erik but because of Alecander she couldn't get that happy 'I'm walking on pink clouds' feeling.

The day went on even slower than before, she didn't see Alecander even once after lunch. Would she really be forced to wait untill they met in the forest? She sighted, that idiot made things so complicated for her.
"You are sighting again" Kevin said, looking at her concerned "Can't you tell me what happend?" She just looked at him and shaked her head, how could she explain that a fantasy creature had been entering her room five in the morning and turning her life upside down. Alice kissed him on the cheek before leaving, her last lesson was free study time so she didn't need to go to the classroom. She decided to go to the library to search after some books, maybe that could make her stop thinking about this hole mess. She had a bit over an hour before school ended and she needed to meet him in the forest, was the training really that good? what did he mean by disappear? That he could leave wherever he wanted to or disappear disappear. There was a lot of thoughts flying around in her head, but they would probably disappear once she had entered the library, it usualy had that effect on her.

"Thank you for the help Mrs--" Alec said as he came out of the library carrying three books, each larger than the last. He froze dead in his tracks and his speech when he saw Alice nearing. He had two choices, neither of which he could pull off with the librarian which he had enticed out of her hiding hold watching. Sighing, he decided to do the most human like thing and held the door open for the girl. He didn't look at Alice, but at the floor as he gripped the books as tightly to his chest as he could. He had tried so hard to keep out of the way. He had known she would want to talk to him about what he had said earlier that morning, but he didn't want to talk about it. It wasn't important. What was important was that she learn her craft.

He also didn't want her to see that he held three western romance novels in his hands instead of a nonfiction one that he would need for say a class? He almost wished that his white hair was a tad longer so that he could hide his face of shame from the people of the school. "Miss Alice," he said in greeting, when he felt he had been more rude than he should be by not saying anything. "Hope your classes have been going well. See, I told yout he librarian couldn't be dead. She's just very shy and prefers to handle the books than the students. You just have to approach her the right way."

When she noticed it was Alecander she looked down in the floor, she tried to hide her angry expression.
"Well, no one really believed she was dead to begin with. It was only a rumour." She got silent for a moment, what was she suppose to say now when she finally got the chance to talk to him? She was afraid of what she could get to know about this but at the same time she wanted to know. She looked up at him with a hurtened expression
"I hate this," She started "you are a person, you have the right to decide what you want yourself. Why should you be treated like a dog without a right to speak? Stop calling me miss, stop treating me like a noble and do whatever you want to do instead of taking orders from me. I won't accept training from someone that doesn't even think for himself."

No, that wasn't what she wanted to say. She had been worried for him, how did it turn out like that? In her head, the things that she were going to say was much more gentle. She didn't give him a chance to reply, she ran away, away from Alecander, away from the library and away from the school. She noticed some people turning around looking at her, but she didn't stop because of that. Once she came down to a small river after five minutes of running, she stopped. She went under the bridge where no one could see her and sat down in the grass. Why did this have to happen to her?

Alec stood stunned in the library doorway, staring after the girl, his mouth hanging open slightly. "But," he said to the empty hallway, "I am a dog." There was a sadness to his tone that only the hall heard for he let the door to the library close shut and went to his locker. Several minutes later he was out of the school and walking calmly after the young woman. When he was out of sight of the school, he waved his hand and brought out the box with the cake in it that he had summoned from her locker. Mayhap he would be able to cheer her up with this.

He walked, following the scent of his witch until he got to a bridge. He paused at the path that would take him down under it, before shaking his head. There was no need to go in there like a shame faced dog. But at the same time, he had upset her. He hadn't wanted that. He had simply wanted her to know what it was like for his kind.

Closing his eyes after making sure no one was coming he pulled off his backpack and put the string that held the box in between his teeth. Then he allowed himself to shift into a wolf. Tail lowered, ears laid back, he trotted down the path to the river and looked around for her for a moment before walking over and putting the package down next to her. This time, he didn't speak though. It seemed to him that if he did he would only make things worse.

Alice looked up and saw a wolf comming, she was almost about to shout but then noticed the box he held. It must be Alecander, she turned her face down so she didn't need to face him. He slowly came closer and put the box next to her. She turned to face him again, he looked like a puppy with his ears laid back like that.
"Idiot, stop looking at me like that. You're not a dog, you're a wolf, shouldn't you act like one? You told me that when we met, half wolf half human. Neither a human nor a wolf would take orders so easily from other people." She didn't know what she should say to him but she didn't want him to be like that forever, living for someone else.

"What did you mean when you said that you'll disappear when the training are done?" She had been bothered of it for the hole day, first she had thought he would just disappear from her and get his own life but somehow it didn't feel like that was what he meant. She needed to know, why did she feel so uneasy about it?

Alecander slowly sat next to the box to look at it rather than her. She had simply had to choose the one topic that made him uncomfortable? Could he lie to her? More importantly: should he lie to her? Would it be better for her to know now or later? Could he let her worry about this a moment longer?

Sighing deeply, he tried shrugging with his new body and couldn't. he let himself shift back to being half human, his tail wrapping around his legs. He ran a hand through his white hair and gave another deep sigh. No, he couldn't tell her the truth. "I'm hoping it'll be after graduation at least. It might not though, hell, if you are a good enough student you might finish it sooner than that. But I'll leave. It'll be like," he paused and looked skyward up and the bridge. "It'd be like I was never here, promise. You'd never had to deal with me again." He put on a smile as he tried to lighten the mood. "And actually, if the wolf is impressed upon by an alpha it would do whatever the alpha said. Technically you are the alpha female right now, thus I must follow your words."

Of some reason she couldn't shake of the feeling that something bad would happen to him if she finnished her training, what was it he couldn't tell her? Somehow she didn't like the feeling of him disappearing, even though he was a bit annoying it didn't feel right.
"The alpha is the one that is strongest and has earned its place, if you and I would fight then you would win. Then you should be the alpha and not me. And to have an alpha is stupid, everyone is worth exactly the same and must have the right to choose their own way in life." She let go of the other topic, at least for the moment. Would she be able to get threw with her arguments so he would stop acting like a servant?

She looked a bit at the box and then took it up, putting it in her knee. She looked at him a litle before opening the box, it was a cake in it, it looked like the one she had made this morning. She smiled and laughed a litle. "Thanks" She said and looked at him, she tried to hide that she still was worried for him.

Alec shrugged off her words with a smile. "it has always been a master servant relationship between familiars and witches or wizards. Why fight tradition?" He asked with a laugh before smiling and laying back, letting his feet dip into the river. "Don't mention it. It's the least I could do once I destroyed your own cake this morning." he paused and shifted a little to get more comfortable on the bank before closing his eyes and waiting.

"So what do you want to know of first, Alice? What part do you want to try? Or are you going to say you are going to run back to school and try to explain why you ditched your free period?"

His eyes were closed and for some reason he didn't feel like putting on the fools game any more. He spoke intelligently, and was relaxed. He no longer smiled like an idiot, but kept his eyes closed and his face still, as if listening to the world around him. It was so peaceful here with is feet int he brook and sitting next to the woman that he was to teach the craft. He hoped, oh did he hope, that she had more power over the earth element than the others. It called to his senses even as he tried to cut them off in his relaxed state. But that may not be the case either. She could be fire--she did after all have the personality of a fire user. but she'd run so quickly here that she might also be a air user. But then she'd chosen to sit next to a river which might make her a water user. All of this ran through his mind as he sat there, waiting for the first question or topic to be chosen.

"Now a days everyone fights traditions" She mumbled a bit sad. She looked out at the water, the sun was making the river look beautiful. Her eyes got drawn to Alecander, his eyes was closed and he looked very peacful. His hair waved beautifuly in the air, she almost couldn't take her eyes off of him but forced herself so he wouldn't think she was weird when he noticed how she starred at him.

"They wont notice that I disappeard and even if they do I can just tell them tomorrow that I got sick or something." She stopped for a second, what did she want to try? She wasn't certain, she didn't even know what there was to try or know. "The only thing I know that I want to know is, why does whiches and familiar hide their existence? If you.. .. We exist, why doesn't people know about it?"

Alecander smiled despite himself at the question. Inherent knowledge, he loved so much. "We didn't up until about two centuries ago," he answered with a smile. "Up until then it was common for witches and wizard families to be high in rank around society. No one wanted to anger them because they could bring down the four elements upon their enemy, or in the cases of others they could heal or keep away plagues. They were useful. Familiars were normally always in animal form though since people never did get used to the fact of seeing humans with animal parts on them--that's why you'll never find any references to half-human creatures.

"Then the families started getting rebellious children--children that didn't want to be considered the 'freak' or the 'weird one' in the village who threw their gift away and went into hiding, never speaking to their families again. They hid everything and only took the training until they learned to control their powers and then banished their familiars from their lives. It didn't matter any more that they could be healers, or protect their village from natural disasters. All that mattered was that they were no longer the outsiders and could find their own ways in life." Alec explained.

"As for familiars, we figured that you all, witches and the like, would figure out what they wanted to happen in their own time, so we went along with it. Can you imagine a world in which everyone would be frightened of you and only talk to you with respect because they were afraid you would allow the next hurricane or firestorm attack their home? The Families of old never threatened that, but it was put into the heads of the others sometime around when we went into hiding and we never were able to explain it sense."

Status
Not open for further replies.