Silence is Always a Test for Strengh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bailey had decided that he had to man up a little if he was ever going to kiss a guy. So, He did. Bailey tried to catch his breath as he walked, because his heart raced like a crazed rabbit. He walked, trying to keep his pace up. He glanced behind him, to find John was hurrying towards him. He tensed and tried to walk faster, but alas, He was caught.

Bailey looked at him for a moment. "It's okay." He looked down and straightened his coat. Bailey did indeed look like he was European, so that could be used as a excuse if the going got tough. He decided.

John just stared at him for a moment, wondering what on earth had made him come over here and demand an answer. He was blushing a little, looking rather ridiculous as a result, not that he could do anything about it. He knew that it had probably just been a silly moment of madness, but that minor kiss had just perturbed him a little bit, perhaps because it had been so very long since he had enjoyed any physical contact from anyone. He hadn't even shaken anyones hand with bare skin, and maybe that was getting to him.

"I just...uh, well...I wanted to ask what that was about?" His tone was kind of pathetic, and damn odd coming from a man of such strong build and character, but that's what happens when one gets so out of practice.

Bailey watched him for a moment. { He's blushing... } He thought. { How cute. } Bailey then wondered if the racing in his chest registered as color on his own cheeks. It did. He could feel warmth in them. { I probably look like a fool. } Maybe it was just a silly moment of madness but it was one he was going to stand for and stay with.

He averted his eyes for a moment. "I..." He didn't know really other than the man before he was pretty attractive. He took a deep breath, but words weren't working for him. "Er." He fidgeted with his clothing.

Well, this was awkward, and incredibly pathetic. They were grown men, for god sake. John could hardly believe that he was just standing here, red in the face and stuttering like a child, as the other man opposite himself did exactly the same. Clearly, they were both out of practice on the social scene. It was only a stroke of good luck that John was more used to being direct, and so took it upon himself to at least attempt to rectify the situaation.

"I don't know about you, but I need some air." All of a sudden it was too crowded and hot in here, and he moved out as quickly as he could, not thinking as he took Bailey by the arm. Once outside he leaned against the wall, breathing deeply, shaking his head as he spoke, "I'm sorry...again. I didn't mean to put you on the spot, I was just surprised, is all." He offered a wry smile, relaxing a little in the cool evening air, thankful that few other people were about.

Bailey wasn't thinking about how pathetic he looked right now, but he would soon. If John was still around then, He'd get apologized to profusely.He took a few deep breaths, but this place was so stuffy and there were so many people. Bailey was certainly not used to being direct, because that normally got you pushed away from your target.

Bailey looked up from the floor when he was spoken to. "Yeah," He nodded. He tensed when he noticed that his arm had been grabbed. He relaxed and let John lead him outside. He glanced around at the other people as he walked out towards the door. "That's better." He whispered as he was able to take a couple deep breaths of fresh cold air. It was dark outside. He looked over at him and joined him against the wall. "It's okay, I'm the one who should be apologizing."

Although he was unaccustomed to doing so, John couldn't help but allow himself the smallest of laughs, finding this entire situation entirely absurd. He didn't know why he had pursued this man in the first place, and certainly didn't have a clue what he intended to do about it now. He was unsure of how to extract himself from this situation, or even if he wanted to.

"No apology necessary. Honestly, I wouldn't just say that to anyone." He wasn't offended, just confused and unsure of himself. He chose to go for a more friendly option, making a suggestion that he sincerely hoped was not unwelcome. "Which way are you going? I'm heading this way, if you want a little company on the way home." He himself wasn't averse to having some companionship for the relatively long walk home.

Bailey glanced over at him when he laughed. He smiled, that was better. Bailey wasn't sure why John had chased after him, but he was kind of glad that he had. He watched the man from behind his glasses, his stormy eyes were quite enchanted with him at the moment. He was different, Bailey thought. But in a good way. He straightened the bottom of his coat.

Bailey averted his eyes. "You sure?" He felt he needed to, because he had done that without asking. He returned to watching John for a long moment. The crisp air felt nice against his throat. Bailey perked with interest when that was offered. "You're in luck, I'm heading that way too." He had a little house in the residential area, it was really more suited for a small family than a lone man. He stood up. "I wouldn't mind walking with you."

Good. Maybe they were actually smoothing things over, and if they ever bumped into one another again, they would not have to avert their eyes in embarrassment. It was a nice thought. Bailey seemed like a nice enough fellow, and John wouldn't mind becoming friends with him, if circumstances allowed. But, one step at a time, so on they went.

"It's chilly, isn't it?" John muttered as they walked along, partially talking to himself. It was times like these that he was glad he always wore gloves, as they certainly helped to keep the chill off. He looked up at the clear sky, the stars bright as they always were, despite the pollution of the city lights.

Bailey was a nice enough fellow, if you didn't know about the whole stealing thing. He told people he was a doctor, that mainly did hormone adjusting stuff. He even made his own little certificate thing that would be acceptable to the untrained eye. Bailey never had really close friends, just acquaintances. It was a tad lonely, and lonely makes people do crazy things.

Bailey looked at the sky. "Yeah, It is." He told a deep breath of the cold air. "I like it." He told him, relaxing as he walked alongside the other man. He looked at John, stealing glances as he walked.

"I doubt you'll be saying that in January." John replied with good humour, his smile momentary but still very much there. He noticed that Bailey kept glancing over at him, mostly due to the fact that he was doing exactly the same. He continued to make small talk on the way back to his small flat, eventually coming to a halt at his door. "Well, this is me. It was nice talking to you." He really meant it, and proceeded to do the manly thing of offering a handshake, albeit a gloved one.

"Maybe I will." He smirked defiantly for a second, a mischievous glint in his eyes. He kind of hoped that the person beside him be around to hear him say it. He had noticed the glancing at him, and always averted his eyes away when he caught John looking at him. He continued in the small talk as John did, hoping he didn't sound too stupid. Bailey looked at the flat for a moment, then paused. He glanced down at John's gloved hand. { Gloves? } He wondered but he reached out a hand and tried for a firm handshake. Bailey's own hands were uncalloused, and smooth. Bailey had never really done real work, He made a living off of stealing.

After his hand was released, he fished in his pockets for a pen and a scrap of paper. He found them and then flattened the paper in his right hand so he could write on it. He jotted down the digits to his cell phone number, then signed his name. he signed it with the e at the end of White's 'tail' trailing off into a heart.

He was surprised that it seemed to be time to exchange telephone numbers, but did not find it unwelcome. He even took the time to reciprocate the gesture, writing his own down on a scrap of paper he found in a pocket. His writing was hardly as dignified as Bailey's, his own jagged and generally that of a man that had never taken to the beautiful things in life.

"I suppose I'll see you soon then." John smiled, with a parting and somewhat bashful wave as he turned to let himself in. Once he had the door closed, John couldn't help but shake his head, unbelieving of his rather unexpected evening.

It was the only way to meet each other again, for sure, really. Bailey didn't want the chance to pass him by. He handed him the peice of paper that had the elegant scrawl on it before watching him write his own number down. { I guess I won't have to wait for a call. } He thought but he knew that he'd end up waiting anyway. Too risky.

"See you soon." Bailey smiled and waved back to him in a hopefully more confident way.

It was a few days before John even remembered he had obtained Bailey's phone number, and more than a week had passed before he finally plucked up the courage to call him. For a mature man, he really wasn't all that brave in personal matters. Still, he dialled the number, waiting for the answering voice on the other end of the line as he leaned casually against the wall of his office building.

"Hi, uh, it's John." He spoke cautiously, struggling to maintain a normal rhythm to his words. "I was wondering if you'd like to meet up some time, for coffee?" Or tea, whatever floated his boat. Either way, he did his best to arrange it, hopeful that he could continue this impromptu relationship.

Bailey had remembered. He didn't have the courage to call him, but he tacked the paper up with all his other phone numbers and had entered it in his phone in case. He tried to forget, but he checked his texts whenever his phone was close enough. He did however continue on with his criminal pursuits. He had to if he wanted to make end's meet.

Bailey tensed as his phone rang, but he picked it up. "Hi." He said quietly. "It's Bailey." { No duh, he called you. } His heart raced. "Um, Sure."

"Great, um, I'll see you in a bit then." John had done his best to have a plan ready before he called, and as such the time and location were set pretty easily, meet in an hour or so, at the chain in the town centre. Maybe it would have been nicer to find a little hole in the wall cafe, but as chain shops went, this one wasn't all that bad.

An hour later, John was sitting at a table outside, literally twiddling his thumbs as he wondered if Bailey was actually going to turn up. He half doubted it, although the bespectacled man had not struck him as dishonest. Even so, he couldn't help that worry, as was his way in these matters.

"See you." Bailey smiled, He was going to look forward to it. He thought about the location for a second. { Hardly a place you'd go for a date. } He thought as they hung up. { But... That's okay. } He sighed. { Whatever in the hell will I wear? } He questioned. He wanted to look nice and sophisticated but, He didn't want to be too dressy.

Bailey had finally managed to settle on a dark grey suit jacket, with jeans of the same color. He wore a white tee shirt as well, and his glasses of course. He had gotten stuck in traffic, and yelled at everyone, because he didn't want to be late. He finally pulled into the parking lot, and quickly parked. He got out, noticing John was sitting outside waiting for him. { He's here! } He had hoped it hadn't been a cruel joke. He relaxed as he walked over. "Sorry I'm late." he spoke up. "I got stuck in traffic." That wasn't a lie.

Although he was always careful to be prompt, John was not all that fussy about others being the same. He was well aware that an army lifestyle led to certain traits, and this was one of them. If other people didn't quite meet these standards, it was hardly the end of the world. It was because of this attitude that when Bailey finally arrived, he was stilll relaxed and quite happy.

"Don't worry about it." He smiled, standing as he did his best to appear like a normal human being, something that was an annoyingly difficult task for him. "What are you drinking?" Seeing as he had invited Bailey, he felt it only right that he buy the beverages. He then followed up with a quick and decidedly awkward, "It's good to see you." Honesty is the best policy, even if it is difficult to say.

Bailey didn't like to be late, almost no one did really. He promised himself he'd leave earlier next time. If there was a next time. He hoped so. He nodded when John told him that it was okay. "Okay." Bailey didn't know really what he wanted to drink. "Um..." He paused, since it was just a chain restaurant, they'd have soda. "Sprite, I guess." He finally decided, then tensed when that was said. He smiled, that was nice to hear.

"It's good to see you, too." He replied, That was the truth.

"I'll be back in a minute." John said with a nod, heading inside and getting their drinks. He returned with a small pot of tea for hhimself, seeing as he rarely drank anything else, besides water. He took a seat opposite Bailey, "So, how have you been?" He asked as he poured his tea absent mindedly. He still wasn't entirely comfortable, but did manage to convey an air of at least some relaxation.

Status
Not open for further replies.