(Signups Closed) - The Pyre Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davion

Original poster
Edition: D&D 3.5
Allowed Material: The Core Rulebooks (DM Guide, PHB1-2, MM1-5) and the Complete Series (Complete Adventurer, etc; but not Complete Psionics)

Starting Level: 1 (ANY RACE BUT MUST HAVE ECL0, No Level adjustment races)
Attribute Points: Rolled by me, one reroll allowed (for better or worse).
Starting Gold: Class standard (named by the book), do not bother with smaller items (waterskins, etc); it will be assumed you have access to them. Any mages do need to keep their "spellbook".
Miscellaneous: I'm not a big fan of utilizing the differences in languages, mostly I want you to all understand each other; or not understand the ancient rune you're attempting to read. Things along this variety won't be overly enforced by me.

Purpose: I'm going to be the narrator, DM, and most NPC's (you can have some control) in the story; I will not have an actual character. So I can let you guys do the rp while I force the plot along. I only ask when doing moves / abilities that you give me something like [movename yadayada] so that I can be clear on it. So feel free to create your own adventures with the environment, you don't have to stay at a menial location when in town, etc. I will adapt as necessary; but be wary of random encounters <3.

What you know: The world is comprised of smaller continents with large bodies of water, imagine a spider web of ocean that surrounds the multitudes of land masses. Many yet to be explored, your ship runs ashore during a bad storm; most of the crew don't survive. You will all start on the shore of a large and majorly sandy locale - "The Pyre Sands". I plan on doing a time skip after this "prologue" where we will advance a few levels and one year; you now considering yourselves residents on the island. Create characters as you see fit, knowing that past histories and family heirlooms account for little in the blistering sand.

Furnace_by_ColinHSillerud.jpg

Please post your characters when able. Ask if you need your rolls again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dav, I know you hate me for it but I think I might be playing a cleric. xD Unless we already have a healer. Then I will probably either go fighter or monk. You can go ahead and roll stats, just so I have them. =)

I'm pretty sure I'm doing Monk, but going to multiclass so he can become useful.

Name: Relkin Kebel
Race: Human
Class: 1st-level Cleric of Heironeous
Alignment: Neutral-Good
Domains: Good and War

Languages: Common, Celestial

Ability Scores:

STR - 16 (+3)
DEX - 9 (-1)
CON - 18 (+4)
INT - 10 (+0)
WIS - 16 (+3)
CHA - 13 (+1)

HP Total: 15/15
Initiative: -1
Base Attack Bonus: +0

AC Total: 19
10 natural + 8 armor + 2 shield + -1 dex + 0 misc
Touch: 9 Flat-footed: 20

Saving Throws:
Fortitude: +6 (2 base, 4 Con Mod)
Reflex: -1 (0 base, -1 Dex Mod)
Will: +5 (2 base, 3 Wis Mod)

Attack(Longsword): +3 to attack roll, 1d8 dam +3, 19-20 x2
Grapple: +3 (0 base, 3 STR)

Equipment:
Holy symbol, metal 1 gp
Longsword
Heavy Steel Shield
Full Plate Armor

Feats:
Weapon Proficiency (Class)Armor Proficiency (Class)Shield Proficiency (Class)

Weapon Focus (Longsword via War Domain)

Divine Justice - Expend turn undead, choose foe, deal your damage or his

True Believer - +3 On one save each day

Toughness - +3hp

Skills (with ranks in them):
Concentration 4 ranks

Diplomacy 4 ranks
Spellcraft 2 ranks

Name: Shiela Arann
Race: Human
Class: Warmage
Level: 1
Diety: Boccob.
Alignment: Neutral Good.
Languages: Common, Celestial, Draconic.
Quote: "Because magic missile... never misses!"

Str: 11 | +0
Dex: 13 | +1
Con: 14 | +2
Int: 14 | +2
Wis: 13 | +1
Cha: 17 | +3

HP: 8
BAB: +0
AC: 15 | 10 | 3 | 1 | 1
Fort: +2 | 0 | 2 | 0
Ref: +2 | 0 | 1 | 0
Will: +3 | 2 | 1 | 0

Attack (Light Mace): +0 to hit, 1d6 damage. x2 critical.

Feats:
- Combat Casting: You get a +4 bonus on Concentration checks made to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability while on the defensive or while you are grappling or pinned.
- Practiced Spellcaster (Warmage): Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefit can’t increase your caster level to higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can’t benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain Hit Dice in levels of non-spellcasting classes, you might be able to apply the rest of the bonus

Racial:
- Humanoid (Human)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Human base land speed is 30 feet.
- 1 extra feat at 1st level.
- 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
- Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
- Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Class Abilities:
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Warmages are proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and light shields. At 8th level, a warmage gains proficiency with medium armor(see Armored Mage, below).
- Armored Mage (Ex): Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster’s gestures, which can cause his spells to fail (if those spells have somatic components). A warmage’s limited focus and specialized training, however, allows him to avoid arcane spell failure as long as he sticks to light armor and light shields. This training does not extend to medium or heavier armors, nor to heavy shields. Nor does this ability apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.
At 8th level, a warmage learns to use medium armor with no chance of arcane spell failure.
- Warmage Edge (Ex): A warmage is specialized in dealing damage with his spells. Whenever a warmage casts a spell that deals hit point damage, he adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to the amount of damage dealt. For instance, if a 1st-level warmage with 17 Intelligence casts magic missile, he deals 1d4+1 points of damage normally, plus an extra 3 points of damage due to his Intelligence bonus. The bonus from the warmage edge special ability applies only to spells that he casts as a warmage, not to those he might have by virtue of levels in another class.

Skills:
Concentration (Con): +6 | 2 | 4 | 0
Craft (Int): +0 | 2 | 0 | 0
Intimidate (Cha): +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Knowledge (arcana) (Int): +6 | 2 | 4 | 0
Knowledge (history) (Int): +6 | 2 | 4 | 0
Profession: Sailor (Wis): +5 | 1 | 4 | 0
Spellcraft (Int): +6 | 2 | 4 | 0

Equipment: 47gp, 4sp
- Light Mace: 1d6 damage, x2 critical. Bludgeoning.
- Light Wooden Shield: +1 AC, -1 ACP.
- Studded Leather Armor: +3 AC, -1 ACP.
- Backpack.
- Spell Component Pouch.
- Bedroll, Winter Blanket.
- Tent, Single Person.
- Silk Rope (100ft.)
- Journal.

Spells - 5/4
Cantrips:
*Acid Splash: Orb deals 1d3 acid damage.
*Disrupt Undead: Deals 1d6 damage to one undead.
*Light: Object shines like a torch.
*Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage.

1st-Level:
*Accuracy: Doubles weapon’s range increment.
*Burning Hands: 1d4/level fire damage (max 5d4).
*Chill Touch: One touch/level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Str damage.
*Fist of Stone: Gain +6 Str and natural slam attack.
*Hail of Stone: Rain of stone deals 1d4/level damage (max 5d4).
*Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
*Lesser Orb of Acid: Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 acid damage + 1d8/two levels beyond 1st (max 5d8).
*Lesser Orb of Cold: Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 cold damage + 1d8/two levels beyond 1st (max 5d8).
*Lesser Orb of Electricity: Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 electricity damage + 1d8/two levels beyond 1st (max 5d8).
*Lesser Orb of Fire: Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 fire damage + 1d8/two levels beyond 1st (max 5d8).
*Lesser Orb of Sound: Ranged touch attack deals 1d6 sonic damage + 1d6/two levels beyond 1st (max 5d6).
*Shocking Grasp: Touch delivers 1d6/level electricity damage (max 5d6).
*True Strike: +20 on your next attack roll.

Appearance:
1349764066785.jpg

Shiela always loved magic - her entire family line was known for magical powers - the Arctica line of wizards goes back at least six generations, with spell research making up most of the family's wealth. So when Shiela was rejected at the academy, the family was up in arms - trying to put her in other academies, and she was likewise rejected... finally, the lot of them were angry enough to ask why she was rejected.
'Disconcerting enthusiasm'. Shiela had the unsettling tendency to laugh and be overtly joyous in the presence of destructive magic, particularly evocations. It made most of the evaluators extremely nervous for the possible problems she might create in the future. They did provide an alternative, however: a warmage college. Slightly ashamed, the Arctica family saw no other choice but to send her there.
It's there that she really began to come alive. Freed from the watch of her overbearing parents, she was finally able to move towards what she wanted. Her enthusiasm for combat magic wasn't faked - she had always been of the thought that magic had no point unless it was used, research did nothing unless it was put into practice. So practice she did - wearing the heavy, strange armors to accumulate herself to it, drilling with the other casters... it helped her feel alive, and she made several connections with friends there. She even got to call one of her instructors a friend, who shared with her the secrets behind war magic... and Shiela got an idea at that.
Her family would be disapproving of her war magic... unless she could devote herself to research on the side. Why not - she'd research whatever she needed in battle. In particular, she found love to a single spell. Magic Missile. A low-level spell only used as an emergency by many, doing minimal damage... but always hitting. She felt a kinship to the spell - not quite on the same level as other spells, but taught all the same. She made it her goal to research how to turn that spell into a true spell - getting both the approval of her parents and the war college.
Since there was no need for her at the moment, she was placed on reserve - and freed to go wherever she wanted. Hiring on as a 'canon' for a ship, the enthusiastic spell-user ended up on the island with everyone else...

Name: Castellan
Race: Elf
Class: Ranger
Level: 1
Alignment: Chaotic Good

STRENGTH: 15 (+2)
DEXTERITY: 18 (+4)
CONSTITUTION: 12 (+1)
INTELLIGENCE: 14 (+2)
WISDOM: 14 (+2)
CHARISMA: 15 (+2)

HP: 9
BAB: +3 Melee, +5 Ranged
AC: 16 (10 + 4 Dex + 2 Armour)
Fort: 3
Ref: 6
Will: 2

Attacks:
Longsword (One-Handed) = +3 Attack, 1d8+2 Damage [19-20 Crit, x2]
Shortbow (Two-Handed) = +5 Attack, 1d6 Damage [20 Crit, x3]

Height: 5'6”
Weight: 117lb.

Backstory: “When your people are the remains of a lost race stranded in and amongst hostile, unknown territory, it pays to find a knack for knowing the lay of the land, being able to move amongst unfamiliar places and learn their secrets, to be capable of living off the land and it's plentiful bounties (assuming you know where to look).

Figured I could make some gold by signing on with one of those charter ships that herd explorers to and fro from the unknown parts of the world. Lots of discoveries to be made, treasures to be found, monsters to be fought and fame to be won. For someone with my set of skills, I thought I'd be an asset to any team I wound up with.

Of course, our ship has to go and get itself sunk. At least I managed to crawl out of the wreckage and find myself stranded in an unknown land.

Well, I figured those skills of mine would be handy. Just didn't quite get the circumstances right.”

Weapons
  • Longsword (4lb.)
  • Shortbow (2lb.)
  • Arrows, x50 (7.5lb.)

Armour
  • Leather Armour (15lb.)

Goods & Gear
  • Traveller’s Outfit (5lb.)
  • Silk Rope, 50ft (5lb.)
  • Flint and Steel (0lb.)
  • Torch (1lb.)
  • Grappling Hook (4lb.)
  • Crowbar (5lb.)
  • Chalk Piece x2 (0lb.)

TOTAL WEIGHT: 49.06lb. (Light)

Racial Features
Low-light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail
under these conditions.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it. An elf’s senses are so keen that she practically has a sixth sense about hidden portals.​

Class Features
Favoured Enemy: Undead
Proficiencies: Light Armour, Simple & Martial Weapons, Shields
Wild Empathy (1 + CHA Mod.)​

Feats
Track
Point Blank Shot​

Skills
  • Climb +6
  • Diplomacy +3
  • Handle Animal +6
  • Hide +8
  • Jump +4
  • Listen +6
  • Move Silently +6
  • Search +8
  • Spot +8
  • Survival +6
  • Use Rope +6

ROLL ON, LEVEL 4.

Oye grumps, your reroll didn't have an 18. 14, 14, 14, 15, 15, 16

Lucky bastard. xD

Racial bonuses, dood.

It's why my DEX is most rocking but my CON's a bit lacking.

Vale Radamen
Human Rogue (1), Chaotic Neutral

STR: 10 (+0)
DEX: 17 (+3)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 16 (+3)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 14 (+2)

FORT: +1
REF: +5
WILL: +2

Speed 30ft
Initiative: +3
AC: 15 (leather armour)
BAB: +0 (+0 Str bonus)

HP: 7 ()

Appraise (Int).......... 1 RANKS
Balance (Dex).......... 2 RANKS (+2 Agile)
Bluff (Cha)
Climb (Str).......... 2 RANKS (+2 Acrobatic)
Craft (Int)
Decipher Script (Int).......... 2 RANKS
Diplomacy (Cha)
Disable Device (Int).......... 4 RANKS
Disguise (Cha)
Escape Artist (Dex).......... 2 RANKS (+2 Agile)
Forgery (Int).......... 2 RANKS
Gather Information (Cha)
Hide (Dex).......... 4 RANKS
Intimidate (Cha)
Jump (Str).......... 2 RANKS
Knowledge (local) (Int).......... 2 RANKS
Listen (Wis).......... 2 RANKS
Move Silently (Dex).......... 4 RANKS
Open Lock (Dex).......... 4 RANKS
Perform (Cha)
Profession (Wis)
Search (Int).......... 4 RANKS
Sense Motive (Wis)
Sleight of Hand (Dex).......... 3 RANKS
Spot (Wis).......... 2 RANKS
Swim (Str)
Tumble (Dex).......... 2 RANKS (+2 Acrobatic)
Use Magic Device (Cha).......... 2 RANK
Use Rope (Dex).......... 2 RANKS
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Goblin, Infernal
Proficiencies: simple, hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, short sword, light armour.

Sneak Attack +1D6
Trapfinding
Acrobatic
Agile
8g 9s remaining, 20.5lbs on person, 12lbs in backpack - LIGHT ENCUMBRANCE

Short Sword
Dagger
Leather Armour
Smokestick
Thunderstone
Flint & Steel
Thieves Tools

Backpack
Common Lamp
Grappling Hook
Silk Rope, 50ft
The concept of weregild was supreme on the Daegris Moors. Vale's father killed a man - a man of high-standing in the Bishop's circle. But in a land where every farmer was invaluable, there was no capital punishment. Only weregild. A payment was calculated - one equal to the value of the murdered man. It was Vale and her two sisters. They were given to the bordellos of Grieveton.

Vale was 10 years old, not quite ripe enough for the usual patrons. While her older sisters suffered the daily trade of drunks and dockhands, young Vale was reserved for the more unusual tastes of certain nobles. She had only two such encounters. In the first she used her hands to pleasure a Lord; in the second she used her teeth to kill a militia sergeant.

Some nights she dreams of blood in her throat.

For a child whose upbringing and suffering had centered on the notion of weregild, there was only thing to do when the sergeant finally bled out. Vale took the man's shortsword and prized the wood-slats of the wall away, squeezing through and slipping into the night.

She never came back for her sisters. She never returned to her parents' farm.

Distance is her only contentment. The more she puts between herself and Daegris, the happier she becomes.

At least, that's the theory.

Last edited:
Somehow, I have a feeling the overall group outlook will be (Based on alignments): You annoy me, but I need to do this thing...so I will deal with you later. xD

Humble+man.jpg
Henry Ethan Reeth​
Age 31​
Human Sorcerer​
Level 1​
Alignment: Neutral Good​
Agnostic​
Strength: 11 (+0)​
Dexterity: 14 (+1)​
Constitution: 14 (+1)​
Intelligence: 13 (+1)​
Wisdom: 11 (+0)​
Charisma: 17 (+3)​
Hp: 4​
BAB: +0​
AC: 11​
Fort: +0​
Ref: +0​
Will: +2​
Movement: 30 speed​
[Skills]
Bluff: +2​
Concentration: +0​
Knowledge/Arcana: +2​
Spellcraft: +2​
*Diplomacy: Rank 1 (2pts)​
*Ride: Rank 1 (2pts)​
*Swim: Rank 1 (2pts)​
*Gather Information: Rank 1 (2pts)​
*Intimidate: Rank 1 (2pts)​
[Equipment]
Morning Star (1D8, x2 Critical, Bludgeoning and Piercing) 6 lbs​
Backpack 2 lbs​
Bedroll 5 lbs​
Flint and Steel​
Rope, hemp 50 ft 10 lbs​
Grappling Hook 4 lbs​
Spell book​
Total Gold: 69 g, 99 sp, 0 cp​
Total Weight: 27 pounds, Light Load​
[Feats]
Combat Casting​
Deceitful​
[Spells]
Level 0:
Acid Splash​
Detect Magic​
Ray of Frost​
Light​
Level 1:
Burning Hands​
Color Spray (Use sand in surrounding areas >.>)​
My History:
Henry is a humble and hard working man who is trying desperately to provide for his wife and sick daughter. For most of his life he has been the body guard of wealthy merchants and sometimes nobles. However now that he's growing older, some think he is incapable of doing the job. Henry does not have any useful skill set other than some brief knowledge of the arcane. Unfortunately he has not been able to find a mentor, so his spells have become spontaneous over the years, sometimes violent. More than once he has hurt or scared his wife and daughter. The last incident, where he blasted off the roof of their home caused his wife to enter a blind rage. For the sake of his family, Henry is uh... Not allowed in the house until he fixes his problem. To see if he could sweeten his wife, Henry is trying to find riches in other unknown areas and come home with enough gold to buy a healer for his daughter.​

Last edited:
Curious, Zen... just a thought, but wouldn't your build, feats, concept, and story be better suited as a Duskblade than a Wizard? It's got the wizardy flavor, plus armor and such. Since that's in the Player's Handbook II, I'm sure we can get you access to it right quick!

I'd be happy to help! :3

I like how he's agnostic and travelling with a man who can directly channel divine power through his fingertips.

*hands Zen a Doctor Pepper potion*

Also, we're taking the average gold value from the PHB, right? Where it has that little table with the average value in brackets? I couldn't find anything named "class standard gold".

Reactions: Cerulean
Duskblades aren't as tanky, plus they don't have access to any spell-school but their own.

And yes, the average starting gold.

A Duskblade has a d8+ Con, so it'd end up with the same amount of HP he has now. Plus quickly getting access to casting spells in Medium Armor and an eventual Heavy Shield, with a feat to make that Heavy Armor, too...

Plus, the ability to channel spells into their attacks. Making them able to hit people with touch spells plus their weapon at the same time. A boon, considering Henry's low Intelligence for a wizard (he'd have trouble affecting people with his spells down the line, and he'd only have access to 3rd level spells). With his boosted Strength score (17!), Duskblade's really the way to go.

Sure, they only really have access to combat magic. Seems that's what Henry's taking anyway.

Plus, I can't seem to find 'Armored Mage', and I want to look at it.

armored mage is an alternate class feature of warrior in Complete Mage I believe.

And yes, looking at it: Henry should have 12 hp, since warriors use d10 HD.

And Frost, Lupin isn't in the books I specified, but I will allow it since the class really has no major elements to it, with the exception that I am not allowing the "monstrous" humanoid trait to prevent spells like Charm, etc.

Ahh, yes. I found it. It uses Fighter as the base class. Which means he's a level 1 fighter at the moment. No spells yet, he's gotta multiclass to get them. The alternate class ability doesn't give him spells yet.

*pokes his head out of the first Player's Handbook box and hisses at all the strange new things that he doesn't understand*

Status
Not open for further replies.