Shouldn't unfollowing someone stop the alerts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aislin

White Tigress
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Online Availability
Evenings, Weekends
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
I don't really have a favorite. I have only done Fantasy and Magical but would be open to trying the others and see how it goes.
I stopped following someone but I'm still getting the alerts when they update their blog. How can I fix that so the blog alerts stop?

Unfortunately the Blogs are an outdated addon that doesn't get updated anymore. As such it is littered with these little bugs and problems that give annoying problems like yours. In this case you will have to unfollow this person through their blogs as well. By going into the 'Blogs' to 'Watched Blogs' and then selecting the blogs in the list that appears to unwatch them. Basically, you will have to unfollow them twice. c:

Alternatively you can also turn off the alerts for blogs in your alert settings.

Hope this helps! I also added the link to the 'Watched Blogs' list, which should bring you there directly, in case you can't find it.

• Useful
Reactions: Greenie
Thank you. I did what you suggested.

Um. I don't know if I should actually post it here, but I thought it was sorta related...

What exactly does someone see when they follow you? In terms of alerts and things.

Um. I don't know if I should actually post it here, but I thought it was sorta related...

What exactly does someone see when they follow you? In terms of alerts and things.
Well, following from the original question; you get alerts for new blog posts from these you follow. Next to that, following someone will make it easier to track their activity. You can see where the member has posted in the forums via your 'News Feed'. So, if you follow your rp partners, for example, you can see when they reply to one of your threads, or are busy replying to other threads. Other than that you don't get any new alerts because you follow people. It is mostly just a 'friend' feature. c:

Also depending on the settings of the user you may, or may not be able to leave comments, see their page and all that jazz.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Well, following from the original question; you get alerts for new blog posts from these you follow. Next to that, following someone will make it easier to track their activity. You can see where the member has posted in the forums via your 'News Feed'. So, if you follow your rp partners, for example, you can see when they reply to one of your threads, or are busy replying to other threads. Other than that you don't get any new alerts because you follow people. It is mostly just a 'friend' feature. c:

Also depending on the settings of the user you may, or may not be able to leave comments, see their page and all that jazz.

So I looked around but didn't see anything...

Um. Is there a privacy option you can set up to where followers don't get alerts about blog posts or other things?

So I looked around but didn't see anything...

Um. Is there a privacy option you can set up to where followers don't get alerts about blog posts or other things?
There is a privacy option in which only people you follow can view your blog, but I'm not sure how that affects the alerts. Especially since, as mentioned before, the blogs addon is ancient and thus borked, so it does funny things sometimes when the site gets updated. Otherwise the alert part is something they have to turn off themselves if followers don't want to know when you post a new blog.

Yeah, the blogs thing is all old and busted like Nemo said, but that might work. If people can't access things they should not be getting any alerts from it, like if I were to tag a regular member in a staff section they would not get an alert because they can't access the area. It should work the same for blogs if you set it to be viewed by only people you follow, but you can never be sure with that ancient addon.

Another thing in the Privacy options that might work is choosing who can receive your news feed. Setting that to only people you follow should make it so that unless someone actively goes to your profile and checks your posting history, they shouldn't get all the things in their news feed (potentially including blogs, again I'm not sure) unless you are also following them. You can also set your entire profile to be viewed only by people you follow as well, if that's another thing you're concerned about.

Reactions: Nemopedia
I mostly was just afraid about anyone following me getting spam alerts whenever I do anything... but I'll double check my news feed!

Status
Not open for further replies.