Should violent video games be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch and learn. Three parts. You'll see the madness of it pretty quick with John Oliver--he does it far better and funnier than I could. For instance, the guys who wrote the gun legislation in Australia... Were Conservatives themselves. (I think.) It wasn't some "crazah liburrall agendurrr~". Australia simply figured out "hey! When people don't have easy access to guns, they generally don't end up in the hands of people who will go on psychotic rampages with them! GEEZ!"
Watch and learn. Three parts. You'll see the madness of it pretty quick with John Oliver--he does it far better and funnier than I could. For instance, the guys who wrote the gun legislation in Australia... Were Conservatives themselves. (I think.) It wasn't some "crazah liburrall agendurrr~". Australia simply figured out "hey! When people don't have easy access to guns, they generally don't end up in the hands of people who will go on psychotic rampages with them! GEEZ!"

I'll check out the link when I'm on about to skedaddle off to work! I can certainly see where they're coming from. Something like that works a lot better in a country that doesn't border another, because then it doesn't matter how hard you ban something because somebody will try to get it in. Just ask bootleggers from the 1920s... well, if any were still alive.

I don't think the act of banning violent videogames would stop people even if they tried. This type of media has already been growing for years and has already been accepted, mostly, amongst the younger generation. This generation is what will most likely decide how the course of things will go in the future.

Besides, from my own point of view, it is a person's choice if they want to mix what is fiction with what is reality. You can argue that some people have problems recognizing and differentiating between the two, but it was their choice. The violence they commit is what they have chosen to do, and while videogames may have contributed to these choices, it was still the person who decided it. Not the videogame.

Banning violent videogames is pointless. I think even for some, it's an outlet for frustrations, or a way to get away from the real world without lashing out at anyone in the real world in a way that is obviously harmful.

I haven't read all the posts so applogies if my reasons sounds similar as somebody elses.

Violent video games should NOT be banned. It is actually proven that games such as FPSs' help the actual person have better reflexes. A test was done and people who played FPSs had a 33% better accuracy with guns and reflexes. The army has also gone to use their own video games to help train their soldiers response time in certain situations.

When you got games like GTA which is the peak of violent gaming, it is said that it helps players actually get rid of frustration. If the player decides to perform an act of crime in real life by mimicing (spelled it wrong?) a video game than that is entirely on THEM. That was THEIR choice and really they should know that a game is a game and things on it shoulden't be done in real life. The player has a choice. Everyone does and if they choose the wrong one, violent video games shoulden't be blamed because they do not promote crime. Even GTA has its fake moments despite the reality of a good portion of the game.

Games are just games. Choices depend on the player.

Reactions: Queenslayer
Nope

But i would be okay with it if we banned violent video games and replaced it with Hentai games

because dammit, i'm tired of waiting for Type Moon fan-translations to come out

what? I like violent video games

They shouldn't be banned, but I endorse age restrictions.

If you as a parent don't want your 11-year old kid playing a game based on running around, murdering people and stealing their cars because you think it'll make him violent, then don't fucking buy him a copy of GTA when it's clearly marked as 'rated for players 18 years of age or older' you illiterate piece of fermented dickwad. Don't blame the game developer for turning your son into a brainless bag of meat when it's your fault for being a failure as a human being.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I simply need to beat someone up from time to time. Do you volunteer for the position of my personal punching bag? No? Then leave my violent videogames alone.
I volunteer as tribute, I train people to be punching bags!

If you as a parent don't want your 11-year old kid playing a game based on running around, murdering people and stealing their cars because you think it'll make him violent, then don't fucking buy him a copy of GTA when it's clearly marked as 'rated for players 18 years of age or older' you illiterate piece of fermented dickwad. Don't blame the game developer for turning your son into a brainless bag of meat when it's your fault for being a failure as a human being.

I completely agree! The problem is, that many parent don't look at the rating, they just buy the game so as to get rid of their son/daughter's whining for the game.

Reactions: LunaValentine
My daughter once threw a banana peel on the floor to see if people would slip on it like they did in cartoons. Does that mean I should ban bananas in my house?

Video games aren't dangerous. What's dangerous is giving them to children and not limiting how much they play, or explaining to them the difference between reality and games. My son is not allowed to play games like Call of Duty, or Halo in our house, but when he goes over his friends houses, I have no control over what he plays. The only thing that I can really do it teach him that what he sees in the game is not only illegal, but morally wrong.

The problems isn't video games either. It's the fact that human life has no value at all in the world today. You see people getting away with murder all the time, and murderers getting 10-15 years for taking a life. If every state had, and enforced the death penalty, I'm willing to be there would be a lot less violence. It's the bleeding hearts of the world that allow violence to continue. They believe that every life is sacred, even if that life has killed dozens of innocent victims and has absolutely no hope of ever changing. Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

last i checked

i could still buy M rated video games on amazon without having to put in my DOB

and even if i did, i just need to remember how to do math: current year - 18 = date you put in

age restrictions on gaming is about as effective as age restrictions on internet pr0n

in other words, really effective at teaching math!

I completely agree! The problem is, that many parent don't look at the rating, they just buy the game so as to get rid of their son/daughter's whining for the game.
Which is exactly why they fail as human beings. They try find an easy way out of spending time with their kids, and when said kid becomes violent they want to blame it on everyone else, when the violence most likely stems from lack of attention and positive reinforcement.

Reactions: LunaValentine

This, everything about this.

Personally, I don't think games promote violence, sex, or swearing, anymore than other kinds of media. But the only difference is that videogames are interactive. But, I'm one for saying that I don't like games being violent just to be violent (Though, I do like the games that are just ridiculous about it like Saints Row). When I play a violent game like - a common example brought up in the "games make people crazeh!" argument - Gta V, I don't go around doing violent shit just to do it (No murdering random citizens for me!). I usually just play games (Of all kinds) to relieve my stresses and to keep me from going full on psychopath.

Because, as far as I can, I'm a completely sane and balanced individual and have not murdered anyone.

Never ever ever.

Yo, why are there police cars pulling up on my house...?

last i checked

i could still buy M rated video games on amazon without having to put in my DOB

and even if i did, i just need to remember how to do math: current year - 18 = date you put in

age restrictions on gaming is about as effective as age restrictions on internet pr0n

in other words, really effective at teaching math!
Aren't you like, 40 or something? Your real DOB is more than enough, you don't have to bother with math.

No, but in all seriousness, I find it very hard to believe that a kid is able to buy a game off Amazon without their parents noticing, and then play it without them noticing.

Aren't you like, 40 or something? Your real DOB is more than enough, you don't have to bother with math.

No, but in all seriousness, I find it very hard to believe that a kid is able to buy a game off Amazon without their parents noticing, and then play it without them noticing.
then you don't know kids

=D

@Nydanna back me up on this, Mom!

You are all wrong.

People don't do things they can't conceive of. If video games stop showing things, then those things won't happen, because kids won't ever have the idea to do it. Violent games just teach them that it's okay and that other people do it, so why shouldn't they? It's a socialization of perversity. Violent games say "people do this", and kids are learning to be people. Every experience shapes them. Every video game poisons them.

You should all be ashamed for making fun of this.

You are all wrong.

People don't do things they can't conceive of. If video games stop showing things, then those things won't happen, because kids won't ever have the idea to do it. Violent games just teach them that it's okay and that other people do it, so why shouldn't they? It's a socialization of perversity. Violent games say "people do this", and kids are learning to be people. Every experience shapes them. Every video game poisons them.

You should all be ashamed for making fun of this.
Asmo pls. If you're going to do the edgy contrarian thing, at least go hard with it. Advocate the banning of all forms of media because they all have perverse or violent things that children can experience. This limp-dicked simple counter to just video games isn't working to rile anyone up, so you've got to go big if you want people to notice your efforts.

Reactions: Queenslayer
For the mass media libertarians out there: Where do you draw the line, so to speak? Let's use Hatred as a specific example. Do you think games like that should be made/sold?

Let's use Hatred as a specific example. Do you think games like that should be made/sold?
Already exists. There's plenty of games based on pro-racism or pro-sexism. There are even games that let you play out rape fantasies if that is so your desire. You know how well these games did out on the open marketplace?

They didn't.

They tanked, got public scorn and disgust, and were generally regarded as complete filth. Those that were curious about these things often heard about them first from either a news media outlet decrying them, a YouTuber talking about how heinous they are, et cetera. Hell I heard about both of them from friends talking about some of the worst games they could think of.

In the open marketplace of ideas, the good ones flourish, the poor ones die. People can judge for themselves what is right and wrong, and the mountains of people who play murder simulators versus the number of people who actually go out and murder people speaks volumes in this regard.

Also, specifically targeting Libertarians, eh'? :worms:

Reactions: Jerelin and Kadaeux
For the mass media libertarians out there: Where do you draw the line, so to speak? Let's use Hatred as a specific example. Do you think games like that should be made/sold?
Where do you draw the line?

You don't. You let people draw their own lines according to their own tastes. No matter how much a George Orwellian future excites you it's a terrible idea.

You two shouldn't be so quick to assume. I am against most forms of censorship and other kinds of government intervention. I would call myself a minarchist, even.

Already exists. There's plenty of games based on pro-racism or pro-sexism. There are even games that let you play out rape fantasies if that is so your desire. You know how well these games did out on the open marketplace?

They didn't.

They tanked, got public scorn and disgust, and were generally regarded as complete filth. Those that were curious about these things often heard about them first from either a news media outlet decrying them, a YouTuber talking about how heinous they are, et cetera. Hell I heard about both of them from friends talking about some of the worst games they could think of.

In the open marketplace of ideas, the good ones flourish, the poor ones die. People can judge for themselves what is right and wrong, and the mountains of people who play murder simulators versus the number of people who actually go out and murder people speaks volumes in this regard.

I capitalized the word 'Hatred' for a reason. It is a specific game that I was using as an example. I would put myself among the people that I jokingly called "mass media Libertarians", so no, I was not specifically targeting anyone based on their political affiliations. I was merely asking people with similar views to my own whether or not they have any hard boundaries in regards to what should or shouldn't be permitted to be shown. I see that your answer was a 'no'.

Status
Not open for further replies.