INTEREST CHECK Shin Megami Tensei: Persona RP

Oh man, I was just trying to provide input. I hope I didn't come off sounding like a jerk. Sorry if I did.

Naw. It's all good. I was just feeling kind of not at ease this morning because I sort of realized I know -nothing- about Japan and it might affect my role-playing negatively. Sorry if I sounded offended, I know you didn't mean anything negative. I'm just wondering if the cultural knowledge thing -might- be an issue. I remember in the game the characters referencing things like senpai and Japanese specific items (like those electric blankets used under tables). Then again it might not be that problematic and I can probably work off the cues left by Nyar. We'll see how it goes ^_^.

Naw. It's all good. I was just feeling kind of not at ease this morning because I sort of realized I know -nothing- about Japan and it might affect my role-playing negatively. Sorry if I sounded offended, I know you didn't mean anything negative. I'm just wondering if the cultural knowledge thing -might- be an issue. I remember in the game the characters referencing things like senpai and Japanese specific items (like those electric blankets used under tables). Then again it might not be that problematic and I can probably work off the cues left by Nyar. We'll see how it goes ^_^.
Well, if you want to go for it, I'd be happy to help you with stuff. For example, the table you're talking about is called a kotatsu. It's actually not an electric blanket, but an electric heater attached directly to the underside of the table. A blanket is put over the frame under the tabletop to keep the heat in, with a second heavier, decorative blanket layered over that, and the table usually rests on a thin futon instead of the floor. People place cushions around the table and drape the blanket over their legs. The reason they have them is that most Japanese homes don't have central heating. In older times, the table was placed over a pit containing a charcoal heater instead. Some modern kotatsu are still placed over pits. During the winter, it's a lot like any other dining table, being the focal point of family activities like meals and TV watching. In a lot of cases, the kotatsu is used as a normal table during the summer by turning off the heater and removing the blankets. Sometimes people take naps under them, but it's a bad idea to sleep under it overnight because you can be burned by touching the heater. Moms tell small children that they'll catch a cold if they sleep under them. Pets have been known to enjoy sleeping under there, too. There are some similar devices in other countries, but the exact setup of the kotatsu is pretty much exclusively a Japanese thing.

Can I reserve the spot for my character?

And why not let Hartkey's character either be a foriner who moved to the town recently or something like that to point to his lack of japanese knowledge?

Then again... I'm not much better....

Naw. The character I designed was a native and I think a foreigner would be more likely to make the observations I'd be missing. And thanks again Osso for the info. I might ask a few questions occasionally about things. I'll probably do a bit of research to. It never hurts to learn new things.

Hey Osso, that's awesome! I'm looking at some of them right now. I think this will help some people (me included) out. Thanks!

OK, so I was in a car accident Thursday, so while I get that whole situation, (including alternate transport), I'm putting things on hold. Once it's all taken care of though, I should be ready with an OOC shortly after.

Anyways, I've also found a picture for my persona. I will have the Hanged Man Arcana. Dark Affinity, Light Vulnerability.

tumblr_ltky8wSydk1qzkrfxo1_500.jpg

Get better soon My friend! ^_^

Ok, I will be finishing up the OOC and posting it over the weekend, so this means that we will theoretically be starting the weekend after Thanksgiving. So be ready.