Shifter Paradise Cafe

"Let me drive you Kay," he said as his tail vanished and he focused on the woman before him. "You shouldn't be driving when you have been awake for nearly 24 hours. I would feel horrible if anything happened." He picked up his own glass and drained it quickly before pulling out a bill and putting it on the table for his food. He then sat back and considered the woman silently for a few moments.

"I'm sorry Kayla," he said softly and looked away. "I didn't mean to go super protective over you. I just don't like seeing people being pushed past to the point of dizzy spells and cold body temperature and erratic pulse, which by the way you still have, even if you say your pulse is normal. I could feel it in your icy hand, which also isn't normal. How many days have you done this? Worked close to 24 hours in a row?"

A it's illegal for the supervisor to have you do that and b I don't want you dying on me he thought to himself in explanation before he turned his eyes on her to make himself forget the last part. He couldn't bring himself to fall in love with his best friend. It had been too long and she would never accept him if she found out about his changing abilities.

"I don't drive, I walk. I live close by," she assured him, not mentioning that the reason she walked was because she couldn't afford a car even if she wanted. Of course, the town was small enough that everything in the middle of it was what she needed - groceries, work. She could walk everywhere, and often did. Sometimes it was fun even to wander down the long side roads and watch the fields, but she rarely had time for that these days.

"How many days?" she repeated, counting in her head. "Well, I don't know. The past week or so I've been on sixteens every day but I think last week I covered a few extra shifts too," she mused, then sighed. "I'm sorry, I can't be specific. The days tend to run together in a big mess when you work through the night and then again the next day," she explained, frowning a little. How many days had it been since she had a day off? Ten? Eleven? She was usually called in on her free days anyway.

The doctor stared at her before his gaze flicked around for Amy and then back at her. He held his tongue though his instincts were to rage at the woman for being a sadistic person that did not deserve the supervisor job. Anthony looked at his finished plate and shook his head silently in disapproval before he reached out and touched hte woman's neck again. Her pulse didn't reassure him. "Then I'll walk you home and make sure you get in there without any fuss," he told her, his eyes on the table as he pulled his fingers away. His mind was already cycling with diagnosis' of what could be causing this to the woman. None of them were thing he wanted to consider though.

"KAyla, how long have you been having that strange pulse?"

Kayla felt suddenly more exhausted than before. It was the sitting down. She wasn't used to being able to rest, and now it was all catching up with her. Her body ached badly, screaming for sleep, among other things. When she had told him about her breakfast break, she just meant sitting in the kitchen for two minutes and scarfing down a bagel so that she didn't pass out. That counted for a break to her. She knew he wouldn't see it that way.

"I don't know. Weeks, maybe. It's just when I work and stuff," she said, shrugging a little and looking away from him. She wanted him to walk her home, but on the other hand.. He wasn't supposed to know how much she was struggling. Maybe she could say goodnight at her door and he would assume her place was better than it really was. "I'd like a walk home," she admitted, looking up at him tiredly and clasping her shaking hands under the table.

Anthony nodded and rose as he saw a girl wearing the same uniform as Kayla enter the building, "Come on then Little Kay," he teased softly, motioning for her to get up, "Go get your things while I finish paying for my meal." He picked up his bill and the money he'd placed on the table and went to the cash register. His eyes were hard, waiting for Amy to come and ring him out so he could say one last word of advice to her on how treating his friend Kayla like a human robot would not sit well with him or his family again. When he was angry he got scary. His eyes went darker, his kind features turning into a glare that could have melted metal. Most didn't last under his glare. There were few who hadn't ever seen his glare directed at them--Kayla and his parents. Even his older brother had seen it once and had sworn never again to try and tease Anthony about his own preferred shape.

"Little Kay?" she repeated, groaning. "I thought I had outgrown that after all these years!" she complained lightly, then looked up as she saw her replacement. She waved to the girl, then stood up and nodded. Her legs felt wobbly, but not too bad to walk. She headed back to the kitchen and to the back door, grabbing her dark red jacket and pulling the black gloves from the pocket. Tugging them on, she filled her replacement in on Amy's foul mood and the reason that she was leaving. She left some details out, but made sure that the girl knew she was probably in for a really awful night.

Amy, meanwhile, was very carefully pretending Anthony was a regular customer. She waltzed over, rang up his slip, and rattled off the total as if she didn't have a care in the world. However, it was obvious that she was avoiding looking at him. She didn't want another scene - not with so many people around.

Anthony watched the supervisor carefully before leaning in before she left. "I will warn you that I will be returning here and should I find that you are breaking the 16-hour-one-shift rule again, I will report you," he whispered before he smiled prettily and stepped back, turning to look for Kayla so that he could walk her home. He was not normally someone that threatened to report others unless there was a serious break in codes. But this woman had gotten on his nerves by making Kayla so sick. He shivered as an urge to release his tail appeared in him again and he shook his head. He'd have to wait until he got home and locked himself in his room so no one could bother him.

Kayla came out of the kitchen, passing a very tense looking Amy. What had happened with her? She blinked in confusion, then went over to Anthony. Her coat was a long, plain dark red pea-style. She had gotten it from a secondhand store, having fallen in love with how curvy it made her look. Now it was too big, but still warm. She slid her gloved hands into her pockets and gave Anthony an incredibly tired-looking smile.

"Alright, I'm good. Let's go," she said, walking to the door and stepping outside. It was even colder than she remembered. "I live this way," she said, starting toward the left and waiting for him to walk beside her before she spoke again. "So.. How was school?"

Anthony followed her out before going to walk on the outside like an old fashioned gentleman would have done to protect the woman from water or other unpleasant things. "School went well. I just finished my residency and am now a full fledge doctor and can practice wherever I wish," he replied with a smile before shrugging his shoulders. "Besides that it's been rather routine. What about yourself? Have you been working at that place long? I know you were talking about a diner you were working at last time we talked, but I wasn't sure if it was that one or the other one on the other side of town that we used to hang out at a lot," he said with a smile at the memories that surfaced at that. How many times had he almost asked her out at that restaurant? Far too many only to change his mind on the fear that she might one day find out about his changing ability.

"Oh, I miss that place," Kayla said wistfully, shaking her head with a bit of a smile. "They tore it down two years ago to make room for a new convenience store after it went out of business. I guess kids these days don't appreciate eating cheese fries and playing pool after school like we used to," she explained, looking over at him. They had spent so, so many hours in that place. When they tore it down, she had actually cried. The owner saw her walking by the wreckage one day and gave her a shoebox full of mementos from the place. Said he didn't have any need for it. Perhaps she would show them to Anthony - some other time, though. Tonight she could barely focus and just wanted to sleep. Her body ached, and it wasn't just exhaustion.

"I can't wait to change," she said after a moment, then realized she had said something she meant to think to herself. "Into my pajamas, I mean. This outfit is definitely uncomfortable after working three shifts in a row," she added quickly to cover herself. She paused her steps after about another minute. Perhaps the reason they called her in so much was the fact that she lived so close - only seven houses down. Her apartment was the top floor of a two-story house that was decidedly not in the best condition. "Well, this is my place," she said, gesturing to the stairs on the side of the building that led up to her door.

"No!" Anthony said in disbelief, sadness taking over his features for a moment as he thought about the place before he looked back at the woman. "That's too bad. I was looking forward to getting together with you and a few friends at that place after I'd settled down." He blinked a few times as they stopped outside of a home that she said was her home. Blinking a few times he considered it before looking at her with a frown. "You -- Well I suppose it is nice enough."

He'd completely ignored the mention of changing. For anyone outside of his close family that didn't know about him it didn't matter what 'change' meant. Only did when they say it it possibly mean another thing. Her cover seemed logical so he didn't think about it either. "Will you be willing to let me come and check up on you tomorrow? You really do need to get some rest or you might make yourself worse," he asked.

Kayla nodded as he spoke of the restaurant, then gave him a half smile as he commented on the house. She could tell that he didn't fully approve, but at least he kept any bad thoughts to himself. It was a place to live, at least, even if it looked like it was going to fall apart. She hesitated when he mentioned checking up on her, glancing back automatically at the stairs to her apartment. When was the last time she had a visitor? Over two years, at least. She looked back at Anthony and smiled.

"Why don't I come see you instead? I'll go get a good night of sleep, and then tomorrow evening I can just meet you at your parents place. I haven't forgotten where it is. Your mother runs into me sometimes in the grocery store and keeps telling me her address in case I ever decide I need a 'real meal'," she said, laughing slightly. She didn't bother mentioning that his mother had also been commenting on her condition the last few times they ran into each other. He'd find that out when he went home, she was sure. She yawned and rubbed her eyes tiredly.

Anthony considered the suggest and then nodded. At least at his house he could give her a real check up without having to lug around the tell-tale bag and getting the 'old fashioned' doctor reputation. "If you are up, come around noon. Knowing mother she'll have the whole five course meal for dinner if you come in the evening," He gave a playful bloated look before smiling brightly at her. Without thinking about it he stepped forward and brought the girl into a hug, chin resting on the top of her head for a moment before he pulled back and looked a tad flushed himself.

"Erm, sorry, It's just so good to see you. I missed you," he tried to cover with a nervous laugh before he turned and held up a hand in goodbye. "Tomorrow, lunch, my house it'll be. If you don't show up I'll come drag you if I must." He turned playful in a second, much as he had in high school whenever he'd gotten close to saying something of his feelings for the other girl, though she didn't know that. He then walked away, back the way they had come to get into his car and drive to his home. Pah, his home. More like the home of his ancestors that he would one day inherit. Until that happened it was his parent's house and he couldn't wait to get his own place. Maybe he'd get an office and then live above it to that people could come to him at any time? that'd be something to look into. There were so many people that could use doctor services in the town, including, he thought foully, cursing the diner's manager, Kayla.

He got an earful from his mother when he said he'd seen Kayla but had not brought her home to meet the family again, not to mention the earful he got for 'spoiling' his appetite.

"I missed you too, Anthony.." Kayla said softly, her arms wrapped around him until he pulled away. He'd probably never know how much she missed him, but she did what she thought she had to do. It wasn't like he had noticed, anyway, since he stopped trying to get in touch with her. The thought was depressing, but she still managed a smile and a wave when he left. Once he was out of sight, she sighed and turned away, trudging up her stairs that creaked and wobbled. There were a few that she skipped out of habit - cracked ones that were very seriously on the verge of breaking. It was dangerous for anybody to come up here if they were unaware. Yet another reason she hadn't invited Anthony inside or let him check her over now.

She unlocked her door and stepped in. A small kitchen with no room for a table, with barely-used cabinets and a mostly-empty fridge. She ate at work or not at all. There was a small living room type area with a big chair that was worn out looking, and a stack of old magazines next to it. After that, there was just the bedroom and bathroom, neither one very large or filled with much.

She tossed her coat on the bed, stripped down naked, and toddled tiredly to the bathroom. Hot shower, then bed, then another shower in the morning. Maybe if she scrubbed up and looked nice, Anthony would forget how awful she had looked tonight. She turned her shower on to let it heat up and glanced in the mirror. Ugh, she could count her ribs. He wouldn't like that. She frowned and stepped in the shower, cleaning in record time. When she got out, she half dried off, then shifted into her other form. Oh, yes. This was what she'd been aching for. She scrambled up on her bed and curled up under the edge of the blanket, nuzzling the pillow. In seconds, she was sleeping.

Anthony smiled a little as he got up the next morning, stretching his entire body in a pleasurable way, opening bright yellow-green eyes as he got up and trotted to the window. When he looked at the clock he froze. 11:49. Black tail twitched. Black ears shifted around to try and catch the slightest signal as to why he hadn't been awoken earlier. The house was silent. No maids. No servants. No parents. He cursed and flew about getting dressed, forcing back his instincts to let his ears and tail stay out before he found himself in front of the mirror staring at himself.

He'd been in such a rush to put on some decent clothes for Kayla that he hadn't realized that his eyes were still strange. Yellow-green eyes stared back at him as he stood there and began to panic. 11:59. He hoped that Kayla hadn't come early as he tried to focus on returning to human-normal. His head started to ache at this and he knew he wouldn't be able to keep it up for much longer when finally one eye changed back and then the other followed suit.

This left him stumbling down the stairs as he waited for Kayla to show up. Groaning as his body tried to get used to the lack of animal senses, he sat down on the stairs just in front of the door to wait and get his senses back to normal.

Kayla woke up to bright sunlight streaming in her window. She yawned and stretched out on the bed, then rolled around scratching her back. Oh, it felt so nice to be rested for once! She sat up and wondered how the cafe was doing without her, but then she remembered the only reason that she wasn't at work was Anthony. Snapping her head to the side to look at the clock, she realized she had twenty minutes to get ready and run over there. Crap!

She dove off the bed, shifting back to her human form mid-tumble before hopping in the shower. Even though she was in a hurry, she took the time to shave and be extra clean - hopefully it'd make the new doctor worry less if she seemed to be in good shape. When she was done, she braided her hair quickly and rummaged through her closet. Everything was way too big now, she realized with a frown. Finally she found a pale green dress that laced up in the back so she could make it fit without making her look like she was drowning in a paper bag. She pulled on a white cardigan over it and slipped on her shoes, then ran out the door.

By the time she made it to Anthony's, her watch said 12:02. Not bad. She took a deep breath and braced herself, then tentatively knocked twice.

He had lowered his face into his hands and was almost back asleep when he heard the knocking. He stood slowly and walked over to the door , yawning and stretching, unaware that his teeth were still those of a feline--sharp canines included. Stretching he opened the door. Smiling brightly he moved out of the way and opened the door wider. "I'm glad you came," he said before he noticed the dress. While she was definitely far skinnier than he thought was safe, she did look nice in the dress. "Have you eaten lunch? We kinda have the house to ourselves at the moment but I could cook you something if you are hungry."

He was trying to be as calm and friendly as he could. He knew she didn't like doctors, and yet he wanted to make sure she was okay. Inwardly sighing he pushed that thought back. Doctor second, friend first he kept reminding himself.

"I'm a little hungry, yeah. I woke up really late and didn't have time to grab anything before I came here," she admitted, stepping inside as he opened the door for her to come in. Everything looked the same as the last time she was here, and she couldn't help but smie. This house held so many memories.. She turned back to face Anthony, trying hard not to worry too much about what he was going to say when he started the dreaded examination. It definitely wasn't going to be good.

"So, why do you have the house to yourself? Did you scare your parents off by showing up in the middle of the night last night?" she teased gently.

"I can honestly say I don't know Kayla," Anthony said with a laugh before shaking his head. "It was already deserted when I awoke. In truth I only got up about half an hour ago. Apparently no one told me that the alarm that had been in my room had been turned off. Guess I was far more tired than I thought. Come on then, I'll make us both something to eat." He turned and walked back towards the kitchen as he stretched again, several bones popping as they realigned after his night as a half-shifted person He'd have to go see a chiropractor soon or else have headaches from the unaligned parts of his back.

Groaning he finally padded barefoot into the kitchen and pulled out several things before looking over his shoulder. "What do you feel like Kayla?"

"Jeez, Anthony, you crack more than a glowstick," Kayla teased, following him to the kitchen. Still every detail remained almost identical to the last time she had seen it. The sight comforted her deeply. She hadn't realized how much she craved going back to the good old days before now. Sure, she missed it, but this.. This made her ache with the thought of all they had lost over the years. She took a seat on one of the barstools along the counter of the island in the middle of the room, pondering.

"Hmm.. Do you remember in junior year, when you made that big jumble of crap and called it the Anthony Special?" she asked, laughing a little. "I don't even remember what you put in it. Anything you could find, I think. It was delicious!"