She's Gone Country

It wasn't very long at all that he got the note back from her. He took a moment before opening, bracing himself for her to be a criminal or something, but what he read when the paper was opened instantly brought a frown to his face. How could a father do that to his daughter? Maybe she was just keeping it simple, maybe she was being bad or something, but if not that wasn't okay. I'm sorry, were you being bad or something? This doesn't seem to be a place that a parent would send their child for any reason... we're kind of home-grown and stuck in our ways around here. He chose his words carefully so it didn't sound like he was angry or even trying to criticize her father decision. Being careful was not always the easiest thing for him. Just as he was going to give the note back the teacher turned around to grab something from his desk. Thank goodness he turned around quickly after that, and then the note was back on Eve's desk.

Eve noticed the frown that came upon Jace's face when he read her reply. Guess he wasn't expecting that response she thought. But sadly it was the truth. He had just gotten tired of the press always writing up everything she did whether it good or bad. He said it was 'bad for business' if his daughter was being written up in the papers all the time. She smirked at that, it was always about business to him. All she wanted was a little affection from her father and for him to notice her once in awhile, was that so much to ask? Eve looked down again and saw the note. She opened, read it, and replied with Sometimes I guess you could say I was bad but not always. It's a little complicated to explain. He sent me here hoping for what...i'm not sure. My Aunt is my parents only relative so that's part of why i'm here. With that she folded the note and gave it back.

Waiting for an answer from her was kind of annoying him, he hated to even wait 3 seconds for a reply because it was such an interesting thing they were talking about so he wanted to know all the details. It was amazing that the professor hadn't seem them yet, usually he was pretty keen but today he was so focused on his lesson that he barely paid attention to even the people texting in the front row. The note was once again on his desk, and he didn't even know it because he accidentally started paying attention to the teacher for once. He opened it quickly, and a bit too loudly but nobody seemed to notice that it was loud but him. He didn't feel as bad for her since she was being bad. And the other part? That was the stupidest thing to write but he hadn't been able to come up with something good to ask yet. He placed the note on the corner of her desk.

Eve took the note from the corner of the desk and read it. She wrote back That's what i'm still trying to figure out. Eve folded the note and write before she was about to pass it back the teacher turned around. Skilled in the art of note passing, Eve pretended like she was stretching. The teacher gave her a suspicious look but she just smiled and waved. After a few minutes he turned back around to write some more notes on the board. Phew that was a close one she thought as she mentally wiped the sweat off her forehead. She placed the note back onto Jace's.

She would be the one to get caught with the note he thought. But shockingly she pulled it off, something he could have definitely never done. It was a good thing too because they would have both gotten detention. That wouldn't have really been a bad thing though, pretty much they would have been locked in a room after school for 30 minutes...more time to talk. Jace still didn't think it was a good plan. When he finally got the note back after Eve received an intense stare-down and a warning glare, it wasn't even really worth what he thought it would be. How could she not know but still know that there was another part to this? He let out a puff of air, and started up a new question. Tell me about you. With his eyes on the teacher the whole time, he folded the note, and put it back on Eve's desk.

He probably thought I was going to get us caught she thought. That made her smirk. She was a pro at charming teachers and her skills hadn't changed. Even if she had gotten caught and gotten detention she probably wouldn't have gone. She never went to detention back at her old school. It's a silly punishment made for silly people and I am not one of them she always said. Eve yawned and looked at the clock to see how much longer until lunch. She had heard that seniors were allowed to leave the school for it and she was ready to be away from this place. Eve read the note and wrote back I love shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, i love to sing and dance and act. My favorite color is pink. I have lived in New York all of my life until now. I love traveling. I'm very good at telling what people are thinking most times. You? She felt that was enough and handed back the note.

She was quite the interesting girl. She wasn't anything like any other girls around this town. Girls around here were all about bonfires, swimming in the river, and bragging about how they could keep their acrylic nails on and nice looking while still having some homegrown fun. I like mudding, working in the corn fields, partying with friends. I've never been out of this state. My favorite color is green. I own a truck, a horse, and a tree walker coonhound. I'm always pretty nice to people, and I help out anyone that needs it. Guess that's why I'm helping you.. by the way, saw you look at the clock, we have 10 minutes. He handed back the note and laid his head down on his desk. He was utterly bored, and wanted out. He couldn't wait to grab his friends and drive off in his truck to the riverside.

Eve could have almost danced with joy when she read the note. Only ten more minutes and i can be out of this place eve n for just a little bit. Eve tried to think of a place to go for lunch but since she was brand new in town she didn't know of any place. Guess i'll just drive around town until I find something or at least until it's time to come back she thought. She didn't want to bother Jace anymore than she already had. Yeah he said...well wrote... that he helps people out, that could get pretty annoying if you do it continuously. Eve folded the note back and put it in her purse. She noticed that Jace had put his head down so she didn't wanna wake him up from his nap or daydream.

The next few minutes went by very fast, he noticed that she didn't answer, and that meant she wasn't going to answer so he just kept his head down the whole time. He was so ready to book it out of the room and put his stuff in his locker so he could go out to the commons and meet int he same spot they always met to leave. He wondered if Eve would want to go with them, or if she would stay in the cafeteria or whatever. That wasn't acceptable, he would have to make it a point to ask if she wanted to go when the bell rang. For now he was too comfortable to pull his head up and ask for the note back. Who knew, maybe when she saw how his friends and him acted, and saw them having a blast being messy and crazy, maybe she would want to stop being so girly and stuff. Maybe. If she did, that would make it so much less awkward to hang around her.

Eve was already packed and ready to go when the bell rang. Which being packed wasn't that hard since all she had was her purse and a notebook. Those last few minutes of class seemed to take forever. But finally she was free for a little while. Eve was the first one out of her seat and using this advantage she made it to the door before anyone else. Yea I probably look strange since i'm the new girl and i'm the first one leaving but right now I could care less she thought. Eve waited outside of the classroom for Jace since she wasn't exactly sure where her locker was. While she waited she fished out her keys from her purse and swung them around her finger. Some habits never change she thought amused.

The bell rang and disrupted his thoughts. It actually startled him a bit but he slowly got up and gathered his two things. Eve was literally out the door before he could ever utter a word to her so he too his time getting out, he was almost the last one out the door. This was a bad thing because she was standing outside the door twirling her keys on her finger in the cutest way. "Oh, sorry. Didn't think you'd wait up," Jace shrugged, and stared at her a moment before catching himself and looking away. "So uh, you wanna come to the river with my friends and I? We do it every day during lunch." It was awesome to be so nice to someone, he just hoped she didn't say no. Sure she wouldn't have to come every day but it would be a good way to break in the city girl. She needed to separate her from her roots and plant herself into the country environment if she ever wanted to get used to it.

Eve didn't really mind waiting for Jace. It gave her a chance to observe other people in the hallway. Plus by the time he walked out of the classroom the hallways were pretty much clear. Guess people really do enjoy their lunch time she thought. It kinda hurt just a little bit that Jace thought she wouldn't wait up but she tried not to show it too much on her face. When Jace invited her to the river with him and his friends, Eve thought about it for a moment. River? Kinda like a beach but less people? Sure she was game. "Sure! Do you guys actually go swimming in it?" she asked. Truthfully she had never been to a river, only seen them in pictures, so she wasn't exactly sure what to do. She hoped that she hadn't asked a stupid quetion but heyy since it was already out there might as wait for the answer.

To his surprise she actually agreed to go. That was good news, she would get to have fun then. "Well, I mean you can swim, but we usually don't. Most of the time we sit in the back of my truck and drink beer, or we play sand soccer. In the summer we do swim though. It's kind of the party spot." Jace shrugged, he almost forgot that they had to stop and get beer. There was this one convenience store that let them get beer or alcohol whenever as long as they paid double. It was so awesome, all the teens went there for alcohol. "Not saying you have to listen to me... you can do whatever you want, but we have to be back on time." He smiled, he was never late to class after lunch, not even once. That was something he pride himself on.

Eve realized that she probably surprised him once again by agreeing to go to the river. That thought made her smirk. Playing sand soccer sounded like fun but Eve really perked up at the prospect of drinking. She hadn't had a good beer in a while. As a matter of fact she hadn't had a good drink of anything in a while. Gosh Eve you're starting to slip but at least it looks like lunchtime is certainly looking up she thought happily following Jace. It's a good thing she brought a pair of shorts. Sitting in the back of a truck or playing soccer wouldn't be too much fun if she wore her skirt. She wondered where they got their alcohol from. So she asked, "Aren't you underage? How do you get it?"

Jace chuckled, "You'll see.." He had started walking towards his locker, they were already late to meet his friends, but it was okay because they couldn't leave without him, he was half of the peoples ride. "We need to hurry!" He smiled at her, but started walking faster. When he reached his locker he put everything away and closed it carefully then turned to her, "Are we going to your locker?" She was going to have a bunch of fun with them if she drank. That was pretty much the only thing to do in this town. There was no bowling alley, or movie theater, or even mall. All there was was working, sports, and parties, so they worked with what they had.

It was a good thing that Eve was experienced in wearing heels. Because at the fast pace that he was walking, anyone else would have been flat on their face. Eve kept up with him even though it was kind of tiring. Eve smiled back a him when he smiled at her. She could get used to that smile of his. When he asked about going to her locker she said, "No thanks all I have is this notebook." she said holding it up so Jace could see it. Eve wasn't sure where they were going once they met up with his friends but she wondered if she could take her car. So she asked him. "Would it be alright if I followed you guys in my car?" she was just curious plus if things got a little too...strange, she wanted to have a way to leave.

(OH MY GOSH. I'm so sorry. D: I'll reply right now..)

The city girl must have wanted an easy escape if she thought that they were weird so she made it obvious that she wanted one. He chuckled for a moment, and walk they fast walked towards his friends to the meeting spot he nodded to her, "Of course you can. Just don't follow me into the sand, I highly doubt you have a car capable of getting out of it." When they reached the door he held it open for her, and then he could see his friends just yards away, and they were giving him the strangest looks possible. Jace knew it was because of Eve but it didn't matter, she would soon fit in, or so he hoped. Something in him feared for her, wondering if she'd ever really grow out of the city girl attitude and settle down a bit. Sure there was time for partying but not shopping or whatever it was city people did.

He agreed! Eve thought. She was so happy about that. When he told her about the sand though she had already figured that there would some places her car wouldn't be able to go. He didn't have to tell her twice about not following him into the sand. She was amazed when he held the door open for her. She turned to him smiling and, "Thanks!" Well there's always a first time for everything. Eve noticed that Jace's friends gave him weird looks so she turned towards her car and started waling to it. "I'll be right behind you!" she said to him over her shoulder.

Eve had such a pretty smiled, but he was a bit disappointed when she decided that she wasn't even going to meet the group before she so willingly went with them to the river. He shrugged it off though and managed to mumble an "Okay." before he headed over to his friends. They seemed to watch Eve walk away before he mentioned that she was following them to the river, and then everyone was angry with him because she wasn't meant to be there. He told them how he thought she would manage well and start to fit in if she got to hang out with them and they were still mad but none the less they followed him to his truck and the 4 girls got in the cab with Jace of the truck while the 4 guys got in the back of the truck. Then they were off, but not until Eve was right behind them.