Shattered Lands

Although the situation was a serious one, and it was undoubtedly true that there was a limited window of time in which to make her decision, Astraea found her mind wandering away. She pondered on just how many young girls had refused to continue onward from this point. And of course, the obvious follow up to that, was what had become of them? Which path would be the easiest? Which was the most noble? All questions that Astraea considered for what seemed a lifetime. However, there was only one that mattered. It was what the girl felt in her core, whether this was the correct path for her, and it was easy to answer. Astraea hastened forwards, feeling somewhat disoriented as she stepped from the ethereal world and into a room equally as alien. The girl had no doubts remaining, and although she remained naive, for the time being she accepted her lot in life, looking calmly for guidance from Pharus.

Pharus looked at her in a fatherlike expression, as though his daughter had come to breakfast late to her education. He then took Astraea's hand and guided her to the table and helped her up.
"Lay down on the table my dear, relax for a moment and let your mind slow with your heart." This was an important step to take as it would next be very difficult to endure.

Astraea allowed herself to be guided to this table, conducting herself somewhat ungracefully, although at this stage she was beyond embarrassment. There seemed to be more important things at hand than what was thought of her. The true gravity of this situation had sunk in, and so the girl took it seriously, focused on nothing but the task at hand, whatever that may be. Astraea lay flat, fidgeting for a moment, much like a child would do when told to be still for just a second. However, the girl soon regained control of herself, taking deep breaths and doing her best to relax, though the success of this was debatable. Even so, Astraea closed her eyes for a moment, hoping that this might help calm her nerves. The unknown was never a pleasant idea, it had a habit of twisting itself in ones imagination, always becoming something terrible, no matter what the likelihood.

For a moment there was nothing. Then there seemed to be a pulsing inside of Astraea, as though her breathing, was that of the room itself. The pulsing around her got stronger and stronger until it was set to a rhythm. Hers specifically. The halls lit up magificently and then it came. THe magic began to infuse itself onto her body. It etched itself across her skin like a cold blade cutting her flesh without the wound. It carved patterns over every part of her body. But for this oracle,something was different. She did NOT feel the intense pain as Pharus had thought. She seemed to be well suited to the energies abide. He watched the girl just laying their breathing as though she were just down for a nap. This continued for a good half hour and when it had finished Pharus did not stir the girl. He said nothing to her, only looked at her in quiet appreciation.

She woke on her own, fully rested.

That feeling of apprehension still hadn't left. It had been there since the girl had walked the streets in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the newest chosen. Obviously, her day had taken rather a dramatic turn for the - well, who could say whether it was better or worse? Astraea had yet to make up her mind on the subject, and so it was best left for thought at a later date, perhaps when the major shock had worn off. Rather than pondering on this, the youngster merely lay still, feeling the peculiar sensations of the pulses emanating outward, but thankfully not panicking. The shock of cold was barely even noticed, and before long Astraea was unaware of it altogether. She was unsure of when she had drifted off into sleep, but it was only when she awoke that she became aware of just how badly she had needed the rest. Clearly, the stresses of the day had taken their toll, and were now wiped clean by the excellent (and somewhat unexpected) slumber that had just been enjoyed.

Astraea had momentarily forgotten where, and with whom she was, which was why she stretched and yawned as she would have done in her bed at home. Needless to say, the girl was slightly mortified when the angel, Pharus was spotted from the corner of her eye. "My lord, forgive me!" The girl spoke with some alarm, immediately attempting to behave more appropriately, though she was still uncertain of how best to address a man such as this. Whatever the answer to that might have been, she simply remained still from then on, expecting to receive yet more instruction.

Pharus stood up slowly and smiled at Astraea. Having somehow passed through this final phase unscarred was very strange and so he walked over to her and began to inspect her. He held her chin and looked about all sides of her face and neck. He could see visibly enough the markings of the Oracle upon her. He pucked his lips at this in thought and then took her arm gently, gazing closely at it as well. He was all amazed. Indeed all over her body were the proper signs of her right.
"Truly special." was all he said of this before he turned from her and guided her towards the balcony that overlooked the entire place. It was but a moment and then they were outside. The people still stood outside waiting anxiously, some still wanting to be the chosen one. BUt when she came out they mostly cheered.

Incidentally, the captain Efferus was also there below watching. He had wished to go and fetch the girl's parents, could they be found. But alas he hadnt been able to. Pharus looked to Astraea as she came into the bright light of the sky and took her by the shoulder.
"I present to you, the Oracle!" He said in a rejoicing voice, "and now my dear we must no longer celebrate for there is work to be done." He turned fromt he crowd and gave a signal to the captain to begin the preparations.
"My dear," he said to her, "we begin your first grand adventure." The left the donnus right away and when they came out their caravan was prepared.

Usually the girl might have taken issue with being manhandled in such a way, but of course this was no random stranger approaching her to appraise like a piece of meat. This was a man who was likely to have a reason for studying the markings now permanently imbued on the girls skin. She wondered exactly what they meant. Of course Astraea had made the connection to the oracle and whatever rite she had just been through, but the exact function of them remained shrouded in mystery. No doubt, all would become clear in the future, at their allotted times. Things had a way of happening at the correct time, not always an opportune moment, but wasn't that just the way of the world?

Astraea of course did not know that she had been expected to experience pain, and so was not surprised. Instead of dwelling on what she did not know had transpired, the girl dutifully followed Pharus, almost flinching at the sudden burst of the crowd as they emerged from the building. Thankfully the girl was not terribly shy, though the attention did still cause her a little bit of discomfort. However, this soon passed, most probably due to the fact that there were apparently more important matters at hand.

The girl was more than happy to leave the crowds behind, still walking after Pharus, much like a faithful dog. It was not the most elegant of thoughts, but for the time being it was apt. She was helpless without him, and so intended to stick close by his side and of course serve in the best way she could. Now, what was this adventure they were to embark on? Astraea was not sure whether it was proper of her to enquire, but curiosity got the best of her this time, "Where are we to go?" Spoken like a true child, a little girl with a question and very little idea that her questions might not always be welcomed. Of course, this would soon pass as the girl remembered her place.

Pharus looked into her eyes and found them soft and welcoming, though a little innocent. He took the reigns of his horse and held them firm.
"You are as yet used to your new gifts, and in time they will come as quickly as any thought you might have carried as a child. But for now I shall inform you as we make way." He held out his hand once again and hoisted her onto the horse with little difficulty. Then mounting it himself, he positioned himself infront of her as to take the reins. The other angels, though they all-Pharus included--could fly chose to ride horse back as it was less exhausting. These and many other equian beauties had roamed the ranges from the western paths on through the eastern plains for generations, long before the event. But as they were not sentient they had not the memory to tell of such bewilderments. Instead they were bred and trained to be the most graceful of mounts and at that, Pharus' was an exceptional specimen. Being prompted by him the horse, who was both powerfula nd majestic, took off running smoothly beneath its burdon. They strode on ever forward for miles and miles, always in silence.

When they were yet some distance from the cities, full of mouthy ears, Pharus slowed the progression of his party to that of a trot, which seemed to be a little joltier to those unaccustomed. But for the angels it seemed as if the vibration bothered them in the slightest. Pharus turned to look back at his oracle to ensure she was getting along.
"Since we are now far off enough, I shall explain as we move on. Shortly after the last oracle sacraficed herself I took some time to myself to regain some composure. I often do this when the most brooding of moods struck me. But this time on my return, I was informed that several of my men had wandered off into the wilderness near the furthest northern borders, headed towards the black plains. We, are going in search of them because the group I sent out before never returned with word or proof." The other secret he held back from her, but being the oracle she now was she had the sense in her that he was not speaking all, and could vaguely perceive his apprehensions towards the moving tree.

After the mountain there was a vast stretch of desert. When the king stepped foot on the sand there was a sharp pitch and he realized he was on the Line. He looked back but could see nothing but the desert stretched out before him, turning he pressed onward. For further he ventured the louder the pitch became. He gazed up and saw himself. The sky here was as a giant mirror in the distance and air had no smell. He footsteps make no sound. He began to wonder if he'd ever make it out or find what he was looking for

Having only watched the creatures meander by in the past, it was unsurprising that Astraea was not the most confident rider in the world, despite the fact that she had only to cling on for all she was worth. Being hoisted atop the beast was challenge enough, as once astride she felt as if the ground had suddenly grown much less forgiving as well as far further away than it should have been. Unfortunately the girl would just have to close her eyes and hope that the mount did not shy in any fashion, and also that Pharus would not balk at being accosted by the girl who had forgotten herself, self preservation kicking in as she hung onto the illustrious angel as if he were her mother.

As they set off, her grip tightened only a little, and did not loosen for the duration of the journey. The girl may have been bold, but the uncomfortable movements of the horse beneath were enough to send her racing back to a fearful child. No doubt, the slow to the trot did not help matters. Although the pace was not so disturbing in its speed, the jolts came ever more readily and soon Astraea had a somewhat uncomfortable cramp in her abdomen. Of course, she said nothing of it, feeling that she was intruding enough, and whatever business there was to attend to was far more important than a little discomfort.

The words were troubling, and it took the girl a short while to work out that this feeling was not simply due to the danger they seemed to be heading into. It was something more than intuition that told her there was more here than Pharus was telling her. The girl frowned, brow furrowing as she thought on the subject for what seemed an eternity to her. However, this moment of brooding did grant her the correct conclusion. It was all part of being an oracle, be that for good or ill.

"Do you believe them to be dead?" The girl suddenly blurted, the crude question fitting her quite well. It was perhaps an unnecessary question, but the girl was afraid of coming across dead bodies. She had so far been sheltered from the worlds cruelties and was not particularly looking forward to this new life at the helm of the darkness.

The group continued in the trot, but pharus looked at her with bewildered appreciation. "You perceive more than I had hoped. Its with in all possibilities that they are dead. But with no bodies it is hard to understand the ways of the land. I have lived many lives, died a thousand deaths and yet I know little more than Any soldier." Pharus looked ahead at that moment. He could see ahead that they were nearer the borders. "Its strange to see our lands come to an end. And yet, I knew that it did." Something glittered in the distance and it scuttled. The caravan had stopped as the observed. Pharus sat up right and kicked his horse onwards but at a crawling pace. His manner grew cold, his emotions mixed with Adtraea's

Perhaps it was a little bit of naivety on her part, but Astraea believed that Pharus had far more understanding than he admitted to. How could he not? He had ruled successfully for what seemed like forever to one as young as her. Perhaps he was just modest, which did seem like a worthy trait to be owned by any leader. Whatever the case was, she did not challenge him on this point, not particularly wishing to anger the angel. Although she did not see that she was in any danger from him, for the time being at least, Astraea had no doubt that his wrath could be mighty where it was needed.

The movement in the distance startled the girl, causing her to sit far more upright than she had previously dared. She hoped to gain a better look at whatever it was, though equally hoped that it was nothing more than a mirage brought on by some sort of dehydration. Her curiosity was marred by a sense of apathy that was really inexplicable, though the girl fought it off finely. She was not one to mope, though at the moment she really felt that might be a great idea.