Shards Chapter 1 - How it all began... (IC)

The teacher nods. "Training it is. Let's get started."

The whole party trains for several hours - technique, focus, understanding are all points that are very strongly worked on. By the end of the day, everyone is exhausted - but it has been worth it, for things have been learned!

Cerulea: Learned Gust! She can now, like the teacher, create immense gusts of winds, sufficient to asphyxiate most oxygen-consuming things, and otherwise knock and move objects.

Elrohir and Jonathan: Learned Barricade. Using Blue Magic, they can severely stiffen air - sufficiently to raise a protection against light projectiles (stones and arrows) or against melee hits.

Tara: Learned Conservation. She now knows the basics of exchanging forces and inertia for energy, at least enough to stop projectiles mid-air, or should she manage to find a way to do it, turn thrown burning objects into juggernauts of motion, comparable to the strongest warhammer hits.

Kastia: Learned Sharp Mind. By knowing herself and the essence of sharpness, she found that she can attune her senses to specifically seek certain things - details in things, sounds to expect, the tiniest bump in things… and the slightest disturbance in the air, granting her extreme dodging and interception abilities.

Renton: Has not found any specific skill to use - but generally greatly improved his understanding of White, getting himself much closer to unlocking it's powers.

Cadence and Rennfield: Similarly, have not found any particular skill, instead managing to truly feel the essence of Grey, getting them closer to finding it's uses.

Lucky: Learned Flamethrower. Self explanatory.

Sir Gregory: Unlocked Restore. He may now heal minor wounds and un-break objects.

Drayko: Learned Shatter. With his newfound uses of Indigo, he can render things extremely brittle (though not necessarily harder) - which means broken swords, destroyed shields, useless armor... and not exactly ideal skin for those involved.

After such a hard day, the team finds the least-burnt beds of the residential areas, getting as good a night of sleep as they can before embarking onto their journey the next morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gregory laughs deeply. Standing atop the rooftop, consorting with the crows. Breaking and fixing his fingers over and over again.

"Hahahaha......" He was enjoying his allowed powers.

"So, you learn to heal your wounds," Tara remarked from behind Gregory, "and the first thing you do is break your own fingers. Repeatedly." She shook her head. "You have serious issues, you know that?" Not that she wasn't enjoying her own newfound magics. Turning a moving arrow into a stationary pile of smoldering ash never got old. She'd also made good on her plan to pick up one of those orange shields. Heavier than she'd thought, and she didn't have much training, but a wall of orange steel between her and the enemy was never a bad thing.

Finally she had stopped by a small general store in the village and made some torches - the kind that were lit at night so the road could be seen - to carry around with her. By waving them around and concentrating on Conservation she could light the tip of one on fire using the movement she was putting in it. And then? Weapon throw! It was a beautiful thing. Torches being a bit bulky she only had five of them on her, but five weapons of serial destruction was certainly better than none. Now she just had to learn to apply the arrows trick to something bigger - say, a charging enemy's insides. All in good time.

Krim stayed well away from the others after discovering his newfound power, testing the limits of what he was able to accomplish with it.
He discovered that it could not only be invoked through exhalation as a great stream, able to flow continuously as long as he had the breath to support the flow of flame, but sent forth from his finger tips as well, with reduced range and less power, yet able to be spread in a wider area around him at once within the closer proximity.

(I'm gonna keep a short post for now, because...um, @Yiyel , I think you left out Drayko, the Indigo Mage. XD)

"Child, ye would be surprised what I can do. I limit myself to this because the act of breaking... other fingers is much less family friendly." He grinned.
"When ye have to break yer own leg to survive, let me know. Then we can talk about pain." He realized he was going too far, not caring so much as taking note.

"Forgive my manners," He pounded his chest "Sir Gregory." He turned back to the crows, one landing on his shoulder. It stared at him, and he leaned in and whispered into its ear. The crow, enormous for a crow, blinked and with a vicious kaw flew off.

"Consider me your... personal Reaper for hire." He looked off towards where the crow had been only moments ago.

Drayko smiled happily. He quite enjoyed his new power even if he was still a novice with it. "Well, as they say, practice makes perfect." he said under his breath as he walked back towards the forest they came through to a clearing. "Let's see how much damage I can create with this." He concentrated on what he wanted to happen and he allowed it to flow through him. The bark on the tree to his left started crumbling and falling off of it. He then pulled his weapon off his back, switched it to scythe mode, and swiped it through the now brittle tree. It fell down with nary a sound and he went over and tapped it with his boot. "That is an awesome attack to have," he exclaimed excitedly. "It is really going to be helpful on pur quest." Drayko the walked back to the place where everyone was gathered, sat down, took out a water bag and drank from, and decided to rest for a short time.

"Reaper-for-hire?" Tara repeated skeptically. "Yeah, you definitely have issues." She picked up a small pebble that had found its way to the roof, tossed it up and down a few times, then threw it off the edge. Just as it was about to hit the ground she concentrated on it, causing it to stop in mid-air and let loose a small burst of flames. Too small to do any actual damage, but if she got a bigger rock... Food for thought. "So, I gotta know: How's a mercenary end up a knight? Or do you just call yourself 'sir' for the ladies' sakes?" She looked him up and down. "You look like you could use the help."

Rennfield sits awkwardly in the background.
So, Gregory's power is to mend... I wonder if he could mend an old man's bones.
He flexes his leg and winces at the pulsating agony. I wouldn't bet my money on it. Sir Gregory has a rather strict policy. If you can live with your plight, then keep it.
Rennfield sighs. Oh well. It never really hindered me immensely.
He looks at the achromatic gems in his hands. He further understands the essence of them now... one more arduous day of training would surely bring out some sort of magic.
He flaunts his mildewed teeth in a wry grin.

"Cheeky. Yer assumptions are childish." Gregory looked around at all of the others practicing their skills. Like children with new toys "And scoff at me again and I will do... regretful things." He longed for the days where his presence demanded respect. He released a deep sigh.

"I am a Knight proper. Though as I have told ye, I am a reaper or sorts. Obviously Kings have great Dragons who need slaying, so I slay them." He smiled a devilish smile
"And when a King outlives his welcome, becomes the Dragon... Even a King must face the blade. Though it is unlikely that someone of yer," a pause, "Specific caliber would understand the intricacies of High Throne Politics, or the slaying of Nations. So continue and make yer jokes. This old crow has a very long memory. In this moment I am your loyal ally. The next? Who knows."

He returned his dead gaze to the sky.

@CreepyShutIn

George sat alone upon his bed, away from the others. Their colourful demonstrations of magic were fantastical and certainly something to behold, but he could not allow himself to be distracted; unlocking what is not yet known is important to him.
They illuminate dark places.. Does that mean they can create energy? Or perhaps store it.. Maybe they simply contrast the environment surrounding it. Creation seemed the most viable to him at the moment, considering it held some link to the colour itself though he needed time to think how he could test such an idea.
He shook his head, it was ludicrous, he thought! Basic rules of alchemy; energy cannot be created or destroyed, merely transferred. Even so, the colour magicks demonstrated hardly followed standard alchemical laws..

Much as Tara hated to admit it, the old man was starting to scare her. She took a few steps back, eyeing him warily. "O-kay," she said slowly, "I take it back: What you have is way beyond issues. I'm just gonna go back downstairs to see how we're doing for leaving. You, uh, have fun breaking your fingers and stuff." She turned to leave, then paused briefly and said one more thing. "Oh, and for the record: Kingly politics are boring. This lord, that lord, there's always an ass on the throne one way or another. Doesn't make much difference to a farmer or a smith just whose it is, and it doesn't make much difference to me." She shrugged and proceeded down the stairs, ideally away from the strange, old mercenary.

Gregory noted her opinion and smiled, "Precisely."

"Alright people, let's be on our way."

And with that, the group departs for the King's Court - carrying the two orange shields from the guards. It seemed, at first, that it would have been uneventful - however such is not the fate of them.

In the glistening dawn sun, a tall man clad in purple armor and with purple weapons stop the group. "I've been tasked to make sure you take these secrets to your grave… Easiest way is to make you hit the grave right here, right now." And he swings at Krim!

--Combat actions are to be bolded and underlined, and a 12-sided dice is to be thrown to determinate the effectiveness of the attack, plus another 12-sided dice for players defending against an attack - first dice is attack, second is defend--

Krim dodged the man's attack, hooking his leg on his shoulder, and using the momentum of both of their bodies to knock him aside, removing his sword from his back, and using the same momentum to strike him with the side of his blade, which had the possibility of knocking him off his feet and into a nearby tree, then taking in a deep breath of air before exhaling a stream of flame in his assailant's direction.

Last edited:
Gregory had seen the man coming, and in his confidence decided not to draw his sword. This would be an excellent time to see who was worth their salt. If they were of little use in battle he could easily heal them. So he sits back and waits.

@Caramon Zero

The strike succeeded, and the man is sent onto a nearby tree quite violently with the combined forces of the counter and of the strike - which causes part of it's armor to shatter, sending shards of purple metal everywhere, but most notably towards Drayko and Tara.

HP: 44/60

So now they were being attacked to keep them quiet? Well, this just got more interesting every day. And also scary. Thankfully Tara had scavenged an orange steel shield and kept it under the reasoning that A: She was the orange mage here, if anyone could make good use of orange steel it was her and B: She had no armor and minimal weapons training, she would keep anything that helped her not die just try and stop her.

When this assassin's armor shattered violently (And seriously, what idiot wore purple armor? What if it shattered inward, or he had allies around?) she was very glad of her shield, which she had already huddled behind when he arrived, leaving her well positioned to block the purple shards. She wasn't completely on the defensive, though; behind the shield she focused her orange magic. She couldn't affect anything the size of a man yet, but what about just part of a man? If she got this right, the next time he swung his sword his hand would get a nasty shock.

Drayko sees the shards coming towards him and he decided to act. He pulled out his scythe and swung it, while he pulsed his Indigo magic through it, causing the Purple shards coming in his direction to Shatter attempting to use the momentum of the swing to reflect the pieces back at their owner.

Last edited:
@CreepyShutIn @CrimsonLaurana @Hellomadgod

Tara's attempt at using orange magic to harm the man backfired - for an incomplete understanding of Orange caused her to shock herself slightly (HP: 23/24) - though that incident also caused the shards that she blocked to bounce right back at him.

Drayko, on the other hand, successfully used the man's armor against him, causing more puncture wounds - however, due to his magic being limited, he couldn't shatter all of the incoming shards, not causing as much damage as he could have.

The man, in a blind rage, started charging at Sir Gregory.
HP: 30/60

Rennfield throws a stone at the man hoping to shatter the rest of his armour and drive the segments into his now mostly exposed flesh. He bundles up his coat, and utilised it as a shield in case of recoil.