Shadow's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
She listened intently to him speak about what happened but remained silent. Following him to the car she got in quietly soon after him. She was about to say something when his phone went off. The frantic sounds made her turn slightly away and pretend she couldn't hear anything. It felt wrong to listen into his conversation and she felt he would need to talk to her right now. She reached for the handle to get out so he could talk to his mother in peace.

Nathanial reached over, grabbing Jessamine's hand. "I promise that everything is okaay mom and no I'm not telling you who..." there was a pause. "Mom."

He laughed, looking over at Jessamine. "Yes, maybe a girl is staying and no you can't meet her. She's just a friend."

She had to hold back a chuckle as she heard his end of the conversation. So the mother was alright with him staying with a girl. It was sort of amusing and sweet how his mom wanted to meet with her. It almost made her feel compelled to say something but she held her tongue. It wouldn't be right to mess with him then. She removed her hand from the door and sat waiting for his conversation to end a smile on her face.

Nathanial laughed again, facial expressions lightening. He suddenly frowned, eyes narrowing. "Mom..." his thumb traced circles on Jessamine's hand as he sat and thought. "No...no nightmares for awhile. Mooommmm, I'm not a kid and I don't need to go back to the doctor. If I was hurting id be honest."

Another pause issued and he leaned back in the seat. "No. She doesn't know." His eyes flicked to Jessamine before his attention returned to the phone, amusement on his face. "Yeah you caught me...its a girl. Yeah, yeah...ill look after her and no knocking anyone up will be happening." He grinned, shaking his head. "We can skype tonight. I love you."

After the phone was back in his pocket, he buckled up before backing out of the parking lot. "Where to?"

It was extremely hard to not laugh during his conversation. The only somberish moment she had was when he looked at her after he said 'she doesn't know' apart from that the rest of the conversation was just…fun.

She finally broke down and laughed after he hung up. A few moments she let it out before she was able to answer his question. "Wherever it's quite I suppose. There's a spot in the library I noticed on the tour we could go to if we wanted to be indoors otherwise I have no idea." She said shrugging apologetically.

Nathanial smiled. "Library it is." He pulled away and headed back towards campus. "Glad the conversation amused you. My mom is hilarious and apparently wants to skype with us tonight."

He shook his head with a small grin. "Moms a little...protective." he raced towards the college, glad when they finally reached it and he sighed. "They have a cafe if you're hungry."

"It was really hard not to laugh when you were." She said the smile still on her face. "Skype, can't say I've done that." She said feeling like she was behind in the times somehow. "We don't have high speed internet, still dial up."

She liked how his mother was protective of him. It was nice to know at least one family that wasn't dysfunctional. "I'm alright unless you're hungry. I can wait a few more hours." She wasn't very hungry, hadn't been since this whole ordeal happened. Normally she would jump at the chance at eating since she still could eat what she wanted and have that athletic body she had.

Nathanial grimaced. "Yeah I'm not very hungry either." He got out of the car, helping Jessamine out. "As for mom...well...you'll see what I mean." He gave a laugh at that and led them towards the library.

Jessamine shook her head and followed after him. First she moved what things she didn't need to the backseat and hoped he'd locked his doors. Once they were in she marveled at how quite it was. It was basically empty. She was just glad it was still open. "This way." She said leading him toward the stairs to the official first floor. There were rooms that were without windows and hidden from view in case someone needed to do presentations or something.

She set her messenger bag on the table in one of the rooms and waited for him to come in with her before she sat down. "Not a lot to look at but at least it's private." She didn't know where to start with it all or what to ask. She was hoping he would say something first or at least talk bout something other than, that.

Nathanial followed her into the room, closing the door behind him. He looked at Jessamine, laughing. "You look like I'm about to give you a final exam or something. Chillax." He moved to sit beside her, rocking back in the chair until only two legs rested on the floor.

"So, what now?"

"I think that's the big question." Jessamine said relaxing. She hadn't realized she was so straight backed or stiff. "I want to know what it is but I don't know how to find out. I don't even know if there is anyone we could ask about it without making us seem like we are completely insane." She said with a shrug. "I am also curious to know what if it is random attacks or if the thing is attacking those who are different." She said wanting to know for sure.

"So far all we know is that it's a shadow thing that eats souls and we can see it. I don't even know where to start asking questions." She said feeling useless again. She thought she'd mentioned all that before but she couldn't remember.

Nathanial grunted. An idea came to his mind. "Wait..." he stood, moving out the door and to the main section of the library. For a few moments he disappeared but just as quickly he returned. He had many books stacked in his hands and he set them on the table. "Mythology. We can start by looking there."

She let out along sigh and waited patiently until he came back. The stack was a lot bigger than she thought it could be. They must have hit the jackpot down there. It must be where they had all the strange things. Oh well, it didn't bother her any. "That might work." She said and took a book and began to leaf through it. Her eyes scanned the different names of thing's she'd heard before. There was one that stuck out to her but it wasn't really like the thing they say but it was pretty close.

"Hey look at this." She said not really knowing how long they had actually been in that room. "There's something called Shadow People. Ever heard of them before?"

Nathanial paused in the book he was reading and glanced over. "Shadow people?" He shook his head, gazing at her intently. "Can't say I have...."

"It's not the same but its pretty close; I think. In here it says there's something like ghosts but they have a humanoid form, look thin when they turn, and have no face. It's like they're really bad ghosts or something but it also says there isn't a lot of proof to verify whether this is true or not." She read a bit more not liking what she was reading. It wasn't all that helpful but it was more than what they had before.

"It also says that they can be vicious but there's always some form of weapon in its hand." At the bottom she sighed and said, "They also mostly appear at the corner of your eye. That can't be it. This thing doesn't really do any of that unless there's a stage to these things no one knows about…"

Nathanial pondered the information before looking back at Jessamine. "What if....there's only one that we see because it ate the others like it?" He shivered as if a cold wind blew across him. "I mean....wouldn't that make it more powerful? To the point that it doesn't need a weapon?"

He stood, pacing the room and groaning in frustration. "This is all so confusing."

The thought made her shiver but she nodded. "That could explain it." She said before adding. "But why go after the living at all? There are probably many more Shadow People everywhere so why not just take care of them all and wait for more to show up because they're bound to right?" She didn't like what she was saying, didn't like the fact that she was admitting to all of this. It was worse because she knew she had to admit to it because she saw it with her own eyes.

She watched him pace and let out a long sigh. Her stomach made a small rumble that made her blush slightly. "Want to take a slight break?" She asked feeling embarrassed. It was probably later than they thought but it would still be sunny out right?

Nathanial grinned. "Yeah. We can go back to my place and order pizza if ya want...?" He started closing up the books and stacking them neatly on the table. Then, he walked over towards her and pulled her chair out for her.

"As for the rest...maybe it sees humans as prey? Sort of like a hunting game...they don't see you until its too late..." the thought made him cringe, the fact he had thought it making it worse.

"Pizza sounds good." She said closing her own books. She was about to stand when he helped her with her seat. "Thank you." She said not really sure if that's what was asked or not. He had his moments when he could be a real gentleman. He was always nice but there were small glimpses of something from days long past.

"Possibly. I don't see any other reason for it to do this other than…fun." She said shivering slightly. "It might need to eat to survive, could it be it needs human souls to do that?" She shook her head. It was all guessing up to that point. She helped him put away the books and followed him again. "Should we just get a Medium or a Large? I'm open to any form of pizza as long as it's edible."

Nathanial smiled as they made their way towards the dorm. "Large. Definitely a large." He ushered both into his dorm and shut the door behind him. "I'm so hungry I can eat a cow...so what kind of pizza?" He blinked at her, plopping onto the couch as he kicked off his shoes and pulled out his phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.